PDA

View Full Version : I Was Checking Out Some Conservative Talk Radio

Rogue
2/12/2008, 09:13 PM
and the host said something about the odds against this happening, but 2 of the current POTUS candidates are great grandsons of polygamists who had 5 wives.

Romney and Obama.

Can any of you hillbillies find the story somewhere?

PS - yeah, I'm more of an NPR guy, but the noon show here isn't very good.

usmc-sooner
2/12/2008, 09:18 PM
I hate political talk radio, I kinda like Laura Ingram but all the rest I don't like listening to.

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 09:35 PM
and the host said something about the odds against this happening, but 2 of the current POTUS candidates are great grandsons of polygamists who had 5 wives.

Romney and Obama.

Can any of you hillbillies find the story somewhere?

PS - yeah, I'm more of an NPR guy, but the noon show here isn't very good.

I'm pretty sure that the odds were better that the POTUS candidates several years ago both had great-grandparents who were slave-owners.

Rogue
2/12/2008, 09:41 PM
Google is my friend.
Lots of stories about Romney, this is the first one I found that mentions them both.

http://www.examiner.com/a-1095795~Book_Excerpt__Candidates_share_colorful_hi stories.html

Jerk
2/12/2008, 09:44 PM
I learned a little factoid when listening to Neal Bortz last week.

Have you guys heard of the USS Forrestal fire that killed 132 sailors?

It started when a missle was fired on deck and hit another airplane. Guess who was in the airplane that got hit by that missle? Yep, John McCain.

John McCain crashed something like 5 airplanes during his military career.

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 09:57 PM
I learned a little factoid when listening to Neal Bortz last week.

Have you guys heard of the USS Forrestal fire that killed 132 sailors?

It started when a missle was fired on deck and hit another airplane. Guess who was in the airplane that got hit by that missle? Yep, John McCain.

John McCain crashed something like 5 airplanes during his military career.

Is this a plus or a minus for McCain?

Heck, JFK's military heroism consisted of ramming a PT boat into another ship. :D

Jerk
2/12/2008, 10:00 PM
Is this a plus or a minus for McCain?

Heck, JFK's military heroism consisted of ramming a PT boat into another ship. :D

You could look at it that way: McCain is incompetent. As a pilot, he did not have an equal number of take offs and landings. He's destroyed 5 military aircraft totalling several millions dollar and managed to get shot down over hostile terrority. Is THIS the kind of leader we need?

usmc-sooner
2/12/2008, 10:01 PM
I once sent the bolt home and squirted CLP all over my Drill Instructor's Creighton

usmc-sooner
2/12/2008, 10:02 PM
You could look at it that way: McCain is incompetent. As a pilot, he did not have an equal number of take offs and landings. He's destroyed 5 military aircraft totalling several millions dollar and managed to get shot down over hostile terrority. Is THIS the kind of leader we need?

I'd have to say it would be better than Hillary and her scandals, socialized health care.. etc

OCUDad
2/12/2008, 10:03 PM
You could look at it that way: McCain is incompetent. As a pilot, he did not have an equal number of take offs and landings. He's destroyed 5 military aircraft totalling several millions dollar and managed to get shot down over hostile terrority. Is THIS the kind of leader we need?I'll bet he never peed in his overalls, though. :P

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 10:03 PM

How is his plane getting hit by a missile that went off inadvertently indicative of incompetence on his part?

Not arguing about the other four (though getting shot down over enemy territory doesn't make someone incompetent in my book) as I don't know the circumstances.

Jerk
2/12/2008, 10:04 PM
How is his plane getting hit by a missile that went off inadvertently indicative of incompetence on his part?

I wasn't being serious, dude.

Give me a break guys. I'm high on Nyquil.

Rogue
2/12/2008, 10:08 PM
...managed to get shot down over hostile terrority. Is THIS the kind of leader we need?

I hope you're kidding and I missed the winkie.

Didn't GHWB get shot too? I've never understood bagging on an Ex-POW because of his Ex-POW status. I've been fortunate to know many many Ex-POWs and they have been, to a man, the most noble, humble, patriotic men I've come across. I really like the guy and consider him far from incompetent. He's winning his party's nomination and has broken with them more than any candidate I'm familiar with. Here I'm one of the more liberal posters defending John McCain.

Edit: OK, I see now that you were joking. Glad I held back a little.

Jerk
2/12/2008, 10:09 PM
I'd have to say it would be better than Hillary and her scandals, socialized health care.. etc
CLP is great stuff. I use it in AR-15's, exclusively. In the panhandle of Oklahoma, the wind blows carrying a fine talcom-like dust that coats everything. Every nook and cranny gets coated with that crap. I liberally doused my AR's with CLP and never had a jam- and that is shooting from sun-up to sun-down, 2 days.

Jerk
2/12/2008, 10:10 PM
I hope you're kidding and I missed the winkie.

Didn't GHWB get shot too? I've never understood bagging on an Ex-POW because of his Ex-POW status. I've been fortunate to know many many Ex-POWs and they have been, to a man, the most noble, humble, patriotic men I've come across. I really like the guy and consider him far from incompetent. He's winning his party's nomination and has broken with them more than any candidate I'm familiar with. Here I'm one of the more liberal posters defending John McCain.

Edit: OK, I see now that you were joking. Glad I held back a little.
Yeah, I wasn't being serious at all. Bush 41 did get shot down, too. IIRC, he was rescued by a US Submarine.

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2008, 10:13 PM

its a good thing those planes werent flown with the same number of crew members as swift boat

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 10:14 PM
I wasn't being serious, dude.

Give me a break guys. I'm high on Nyquil.

Well I THOUGHT it was kind of an odd statement to make.

Jerk
2/12/2008, 10:15 PM
Well I THOUGHT it was kind of an odd statement to make.

Rogue is right..I forgot the ;)

usmc-sooner
2/12/2008, 10:18 PM
CLP is great stuff. I use it in AR-15's, exclusively. In the panhandle of Oklahoma, the wind blows carrying a fine talcom-like dust that coats everything. Every nook and cranny gets coated with that crap. I liberally doused my AR's with CLP and never had a jam- and that is shooting from sun-up to sun-down, 2 days.

they used to preach tap, rack, bang for the M-16's

Jerk
2/12/2008, 10:22 PM
they used to preach tap, rack, bang for the M-16's
Did you ever have to use your forward assist?

I think that damned thing is dangerous. If a round doesn't want to chamber, maybe it's for good reason* and you should merely chuck it and seat the next one.

*out of spec ammo that is too long. If a reloader forgets to trim his brass, and seats the round into an AR, it will most likely not seat all the way. If he decides to use the forward assist to slam the round home (keep in mind we have a serious headspace problem here) and pulls the trigger...ouch.

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2008, 10:24 PM
i used the forward assist every time, because its how we were trained

usmc-sooner
2/12/2008, 10:25 PM
Did you ever have to use your forward assist?

I think that damned thing is dangerous. If a round doesn't want to chamber, maybe it's for good reason and you should merely chuck it and seat the next one.

usually if you would tap the magazine, re rack, and fire it would work. If it didn't I'd seat it manually

Jerk
2/12/2008, 10:26 PM
i used the forward assist every time, because its how we were trained

Really? Everytime you charged the rifle you hit the forward assist? Or just when one failed to seat all the way home?

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2008, 10:29 PM
Really? Everytime you charged the rifle you hit the forward assist? Or just when one failed to seat all the way home?

everytime i put a new magazine in and locked and loaded

its not like you jam it with the force of 10 semi trucks going 100mph, its a gentle heel of your hand tap

Jerk
2/12/2008, 10:31 PM

its not like you jam it with the force of 10 semi trucks going 100mph, its a gentle heel of your hand tap
ah, ok.

I understand.

This is what happens when you hit the forward assist with out-of-spec ammunition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWygoxV_ApM

After seeing this about a year ago, I decided that if I chambered a round and it didn't seat properly, I'd just chuck it out and go on to the next one.

usmc-sooner
2/12/2008, 10:31 PM

yep

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2008, 10:34 PM
well in the military, they were particular about the ammo we used at the range

it always fit just fine

but the training on the forward assist is for combat conditions, you dont want some private freaking out because there's a little sand on the bolt and its not seating the round smoothly, you want him to naturally tap that forward assist and keep on firing

i did it without even thinking about it

Jerk
2/12/2008, 10:37 PM
well in the military, they were particular about the ammo we used at the range

it always fit just fine

but the training on the forward assist is for combat conditions, you dont want some private freaking out because there's a little sand on the bolt and its not seating the round smoothly, you want him to naturally tap that forward assist and keep on firing

i did it without even thinking about it

Gotcha. To sum this up, as long as you have good in-spec ammo, then using your forward assist is okay.

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2008, 10:44 PM
never failed me!

although one time the bolt carrier assembly didnt lock all the way back in, and i took a thump on the nose

that hurt like a sumbitch