PDA

View Full Version : Gundy's contract

kevpks
2/12/2008, 05:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3241349

OSU might as well make it an even billion for winning the national title.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy will make $1.55 million in the additional year that was added to his contract after the Cowboys qualified for their second straight bowl game.

Amendments to Gundy's contract call for the coach to make a base salary of $425,000 and receive another $1.125 million for personal services, such as appearing on radio and television programs, in 2013.

Oklahoma State announced Gundy's contract extension in November after the Cowboys finished the regular season 6-6, and Gundy signed it on Dec. 21, 10 days before his team beat Indiana 49-33 in the Insight Bowl. Terms of the extension were obtained by The Associated Press on Monday through an open records request.

The deal provides the latest in a series of $100,000 annual raises for Gundy, who also received a two-year extension in January 2007. He stands to make $1.05 million this season, and get a $100,000 bump each year after that.

The remaining six years on his contract total $7.8 million, for an average of $1.3 million per year. That places Gundy at the middle of the pack among Big 12 coaches, just ahead of new Nebraska coach Bo Pelini, who signed a five-year deal worth $1.1 million annually.

Gundy's first contract at Oklahoma State paid him $700,000 for the 2005 season.

The latest extension does not change a series of performance bonuses in Gundy's contract, including $100,000 for reaching a BCS bowl or one month's salary for reaching any other bowl. Other bonuses outlined include $400,000 for reaching three bowls in a five year period, which Gundy could activate this season, or $600,000 for reaching four bowls in five years.

Gundy would get a $500,000 bonus if Oklahoma State won the national championship.

If Gundy were to leave before the end of the contract, he would owe the university one year's salary. If Oklahoma State fired him without cause, the school would pay him half of the salary left on his contract.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Outopia
2/12/2008, 05:59 PM
I'm no believer in Gundy. He will be paid a million plus, but is only worth minimum wage. He is OSU's version of John Blake. He is a below average coach, but I hope they keep him. He has lost to Troy, Houston, and Baylor. The best team he has beaten is Tech. Not much of a Resume`.

SOONERxWife73
2/12/2008, 06:46 PM
500,000 for a national championship? hahahaha!!!!! wouldn't that be a slap in the face to someone who really had a chance? fill the the hat of pistol pete with monopoly money! gumby needs a bonus.

A Sooner in Texas
2/12/2008, 10:57 PM
gumby needs a bonus.

Gumby needs hair gel!!!!! [hairGel]

Crucifax Autumn
2/13/2008, 02:31 AM
Gundy would get a $500,000 bonus if Oklahoma State won the national championship.

That means he could afford a few acres in that frozen wasteland known as hell!

humblesooner
2/13/2008, 05:13 PM
If he gets fired without cause, he gets half the salary left on his contract????
Who is his agent, PeeWee Herman?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/13/2008, 05:23 PM
He' ll earn an extra 100 bucks if he can beat Troy

effay
2/13/2008, 09:29 PM
Well at least he'll have something nice to live on after he gets fired.

SoonerDood
2/14/2008, 01:35 PM
not a bad living for a coach who's under .500

Civicus_Sooner
2/14/2008, 05:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3241349

LOL, I say make it a gazillion.

NYC Poke
2/15/2008, 01:37 AM
LOL, I say make it a gazillion.

What odds are you giving?

Collier11
2/15/2008, 01:39 AM
What odds are you giving?

1000-1 in the next 50 years

goingoneight
2/15/2008, 01:48 AM
I always talk with my OSU fan friends and a few of them actually buy this "we're gonna win it all" crap. I always ask them why they seem to think so and they mention things like their offense being ranked or a close game in Stillwater against OU, etc. Always in one way or another ends up compared to OU. I ask them all the time what makes them think that if they score an upset over OU that the other powers of CFB would just lay down for an aggy championship.

Texas? USC? LSU? Ohio State? Of course the conversation always ends up something along the lines of gooners, cheating, and the usual nonsense.

NYC Poke
2/15/2008, 02:34 AM
I always talk with my OSU fan friends and a few of them actually buy this "we're gonna win it all" crap. I always ask them why they seem to think so and they mention things like their offense being ranked or a close game in Stillwater against OU, etc. Always in one way or another ends up compared to OU. I ask them all the time what makes them think that if they score an upset over OU that the other powers of CFB would just lay down for an aggy championship.

Texas? USC? LSU? Ohio State? Of course the conversation always ends up something along the lines of gooners, cheating, and the usual nonsense.

I hear you. I'm realistic. As great and storied as your program is, you "only" have 7 MNCs. But you have a program where you can be in a position to be there for one. And part of that is winning the Big XII South. As much as you may hate Texas, each of your season is usually defined by the outcome of that game. Beat a good UT team and OU is on it's way. Same for UT.

I don't realistically expect a MNC any time soon for us, though I'd be thrilled with one. A&M is in a better position than us from both a historical and financial position to challenge the OU/UT supremecy in our division. And Grave Pirate Leach has somehow able to build a program that attracts, not the top recruits, but the ones that fit his system, to Lubbock (must be the Buddy Holly statue). I'm fine if we make either OU or UT sweat for the Division Title every once in a while at this point.

Some of our fans seem to overlook that fact that Uncle Boone's gift didn't give us unlimited funds, they just started lifting us out of the gutter. Will that get us there? Well, I see plenty of people donating (yes, and buying tickets) to places like OU, UT, A&M (yeah, they've got moneyed boosters, they've just had a crappy coach), USC, tOSU (my GF knew a girl from Ohio named Scarlett Gray), Michigan, and even Notre Dame.

And that's not bringing up any SEC teams, which are CLEARLY superior and would kick the rest of our collective a##es. Nor am I mentioning the upstarts. Like the entire Big East.

MNCs are hard to come by. Some seasons are just special. Colege teams seem to always win one where they shouldn't and lose one that should be an embarrassment. Championship seasons are a confluence of a lot of events.

There are a lot of people with a lot of money who want to see their program win. Most are disappointed. I would like to see my school do well, but those that think we are going to see a MNC soon are unrealistic. Could happen, but it's unrealistic. There is a reason why MNCs are special. No matter how good you are, they won't happen often.

roostercogburn
2/18/2008, 02:31 PM
In spite of boone pickens and all of his money, osu will never be on the same level as any of the national power football teams, NEVER. Same old tired boring attitude, pokie fanes that think they could ever actually compete on a national level, what a joke. Message to boone: You can paint a turd but it's still a turd.

soonerboy_odanorth
2/18/2008, 07:51 PM

No, but close. The even billion is the super-secret double probation handshake part of his contract that he gets from T. Boone if he beats OU.

goingoneight
2/18/2008, 10:27 PM
I hear you. I'm realistic. As great and storied as your program is, you "only" have 7 MNCs. But you have a program where you can be in a position to be there for one. And part of that is winning the Big XII South. As much as you may hate Texas, each of your season is usually defined by the outcome of that game. Beat a good UT team and OU is on it's way. Same for UT.

I don't realistically expect a MNC any time soon for us, though I'd be thrilled with one. A&M is in a better position than us from both a historical and financial position to challenge the OU/UT supremecy in our division. And Grave Pirate Leach has somehow able to build a program that attracts, not the top recruits, but the ones that fit his system, to Lubbock (must be the Buddy Holly statue). I'm fine if we make either OU or UT sweat for the Division Title every once in a while at this point.

Some of our fans seem to overlook that fact that Uncle Boone's gift didn't give us unlimited funds, they just started lifting us out of the gutter. Will that get us there? Well, I see plenty of people donating (yes, and buying tickets) to places like OU, UT, A&M (yeah, they've got moneyed boosters, they've just had a crappy coach), USC, tOSU (my GF knew a girl from Ohio named Scarlett Gray), Michigan, and even Notre Dame.

And that's not bringing up any SEC teams, which are CLEARLY superior and would kick the rest of our collective a##es. Nor am I mentioning the upstarts. Like the entire Big East.

MNCs are hard to come by. Some seasons are just special. Colege teams seem to always win one where they shouldn't and lose one that should be an embarrassment. Championship seasons are a confluence of a lot of events.

There are a lot of people with a lot of money who want to see their program win. Most are disappointed. I would like to see my school do well, but those that think we are going to see a MNC soon are unrealistic. Could happen, but it's unrealistic. There is a reason why MNCs are special. No matter how good you are, they won't happen often.

Unfortunately, good Poke fans (I'm sure it's a majority) suffer from the few with what Pat Jones refers to as "aggie-ism." The Texas Aggies are a great bunch to enjoy a college game with, but there's always that few who run their mouths too much for no more than what their "team" is doing.

MNCs are extremely hard to come by, and with the BCS system in place it makes it much tougher for good teams like West Virginia 2007, Auburn 2004 and even Boise State for that matter to get them. If LSU say wasn't ranked in the top 10 going into the 2007 season, would that 11-2 season get them to the final show? Hells no. If someone like Michigan State or Purdue finished 11-1 with the schedule Ohio State played, would they get the nod? Most likely not.

Unfortunately people who are fans of the sport don't seem to come down to earth and take it for what it is in colleg football, too. That's why so many people hate on Brent Venables, when all he's done is dominate the BIG 12 for four years regardless of whatever "rebuilding" was called of him to do with OUr defense. Arkansas fans who pushed Nutt out the door because they felt their program was better than 10 win seasons when it's not, Auburn fans who have been parading for Tubberville to leave for the last four years when all he's done is win in one of the nation's toughest conferences. There's only one National Championship trophy, and all things considered it takes to win there, it's even tougher to get there. Anything less than perfection is unacceptable in most ignorant fans' minds when they never put their mind around what it takes to run a successful football program.