PDA

View Full Version : i'm in Norman! What should I do?

sooneron
2/12/2008, 10:55 AM
I have some time to kill - stuff I thought was going to take longer was over with yesterday.

K Crimson- No, I will not go cruise what used to be West!:D

sooneron
2/12/2008, 10:56 AM
Where should I go for lunch?
I need a new cell battery- where?
I have so many questions.

King Crimson
2/12/2008, 11:03 AM
K Crimson- No, I will not go cruise what used to be West!:D

that 7-11 at Mercedes and Main is closed seems like noticed in December, no video games for you. you could still hit Sooner Dairy. same dude still working there.

yermom
2/12/2008, 11:04 AM
cell battery? teh eBayz (maybe Best Buy on the Mile of Cars or Circuit City by the Airport on 24th?)

lunch?

Padthai on Jenkins, South of Subway

sooneron
2/12/2008, 11:04 AM
I got a hankerin for BBQ. Yeah, I saw that Sooner Dairy dude about a year and half ago. He seems older for some reason. :O :twinkies:

MamaMia
2/12/2008, 11:06 AM
I got a hankerin for BBQ. Yeah, I saw that Sooner Dairy dude about a year and half ago. He seems older for some reason. :O :twinkies:
Van's

TopDaugIn2000
2/12/2008, 11:07 AM
forget BBQ, go to the Greek House

and have you ever been to the Natural History Museum?

Boomer.....
2/12/2008, 11:08 AM
J.R.'s

King Crimson
2/12/2008, 11:10 AM

i noticed that. weird. maybe he has that disease. :D

my dad said JR's is solid, but unspectacular. i'm a little reluctant to admit it, but i had pretty good CFS at Charleston's in December.

Mjcpr
2/12/2008, 11:12 AM

I've eaten at one BBQ joint in the area that was in OKC, but it was very good. County Line, does that sound right? The restaurant looks like it used to be a house.

BigRedJed
2/12/2008, 11:20 AM
Has anyone been to the Rudy's in Norman? Boardurd? I first tried Rudy's a few years ago at the original in the Hill Country north of San Antonio, and it was teh awesome. But I had it again in Denton a while back and it wasn't nearly all that. In Normon I like Van's.

And the County Line in OKC... ...meh.

Mjcpr
2/12/2008, 11:26 AM
That's the place with the faincy bread, right?

sooneron
2/12/2008, 11:29 AM
I could hit Moore for some Earl's. that would mean hitting Moore tho. :D

I heard there was a battery store on Porter that wasn't a place that would try to sell you a new phone. Anyone hear of it?

Boomer.....
2/12/2008, 11:30 AM
Rudy's is pretty good. It's odd because it is in a gas station though.

sooneron
2/12/2008, 11:31 AM
forget BBQ, go to the Greek House

and have you ever been to the Natural History Museum?
I live about 45 minutes from the second largest greek population in 'merica. Though, I may go there tomorrow. The only issue is getting on the plane AFTER GH!:O

Nat History is nice, but I don't need no education.

sooneron
2/12/2008, 11:32 AM
I do like me some Van's.

BigRedJed
2/12/2008, 11:33 AM
Rudy's is pretty good. It's odd because it is in a gas station though.
Well, that's their schtick. The original started out as a gas station/C-store that started selling barbecue, and now is a mammoth BBQ place with a tiny, irrelevant C-store stuck on the side of it.

The new ones I've seen, though, are pretty robust C-stores in addation to being fully-realized BBQ places. They locate on highways, so their strategy makes a certain amount of sense.

TopDaugIn2000
2/12/2008, 11:34 AM
I ate at Rudy's once, it is the succ.

BigRedJed
2/12/2008, 11:39 AM
sooneron, why do you hate teh Apatasaurus (longest dino fossil at any museum in the world), teh Pentaceratops (tallest dino skull at any museum in the world), and teh oldest man-made art object in all of North America (a bison skull with a handpainted design on it dated at over 10,000 years old)?

sooneron
2/12/2008, 11:43 AM
sooneron, why do you hate teh Apatasaurus (longest dino fossil at any museum in the world), teh Pentaceratops (tallest dino skull at any museum in the world), and teh oldest man-made art object in all of North America (a bison skull with a handpainted design on it dated at over 10,000 years old)?
Don't hate. I love it, have seen it. howevah.

Sooner_Bob
2/12/2008, 11:45 AM
Has anyone been to the Rudy's in Norman? Boardurd? I first tried Rudy's a few years ago at the original in the Hill Country north of San Antonio, and it was teh awesome. But I had it again in Denton a while back and it wasn't nearly all that. In Normon I like Van's.

And the County Line in OKC... ...meh.

I've eaten at the Rudy's in Albuquerque it was also teh awesome.

BigRedJed
2/12/2008, 11:49 AM
Don't hate. I love it, have seen it. howevah.
OK, then go see the largest collection of French (err... ...Freedom) impressionist art ever given to a public university.

Animal Mother
2/12/2008, 11:58 AM
Go to the bursar's office and pay them the money I owe from the 70s. Careful. It could be millions by now with the interest.

Partial Qualifier
2/12/2008, 12:15 PM
County Line is decent BBQ, nothing earth shattering.. but their prime rib is seriously good (if you like prime rib)

rufnek05
2/12/2008, 12:22 PM
go to the hooka bar, i'm here right now.

sooneron
2/12/2008, 01:54 PM
OK, then go see the largest collection of French (err... ...Freedom) impressionist art ever given to a public university.
Done that. Some nice stuff, sort of secondary works by major artists. I think the Fleischaker (sp?) collection is better/more important.
Max is a tool, imo.

sooneron
2/12/2008, 02:02 PM
Oh, so I went to the battery center on Porter (love the old school places that don't rip you off) then went to Van's for lunch. Had the big brisket sandwich and it was deelishice!. I have to say that I am not such a fan of their sauces. Head Country is much bettah. Drove around afterwards and went to Hastings to peruse the cd/dvd selection and then drove around some more and looked at all the damage from the storm- crazy stuff.

Boarder
2/12/2008, 02:05 PM
In Norman, I'd go to Bob's (Sooner Legends) first. Rudy's is solid, not too bad. The first time I went it wasn't very good but has gotten steadily better. I always get the turkey sandwich and a whole jalapeno sausage. If the sausage isn't Slovacek's it does a really good imitation of it. Chopped brisket is fine. Sides are good. Ribs aren't as good as Sooner Legends.

Go Sooner Legends first, Rudy's second. Van's, Rib Crib taste about the same to me, third. I haven't tried JRs, I'll admit. I've heard good and bad.

I really haven't found a really good pulled pork. I've ruined myself with my own.

King Crimson
2/12/2008, 02:06 PM
i think the ribs at Bob's are good, at least the couple times i've had them. the brisket wasn't the best i've ever had. Bob's fried okra is the win.

sooneron
2/12/2008, 02:18 PM
I didn't hit Bob's as the last time I went by there, they seemed closed. I think they have weird hours or something.

The 7-11 on Mercedes and MAin is now some non chain convenience store.

I didn't go in to see if they still had the Robotron game! :D

King Crimson
2/12/2008, 02:24 PM
The 7-11 on Mercedes and MAin is now some non chain convenience store.

I didn't go in to see if they still had the Robotron game! :D

what was the name of the video game at that 7-11....with the prince valiant character on some quest with a sword....it had really sort of advanced animation. it was HUGE when i was a freshman. no way you were playing that one at lunch.

i was trying to think of name earlier.

when 7-11's close it's like finding dead roaches, something really afoul in the convenience store ecological system. of course, the one over by WHittier on McGee has been annexed by the church for several years now. that one hosted the heyday of missile command and defender.

sooneron
2/12/2008, 02:28 PM
what was the name of the video game at that 7-11....with the prince valiant character on some quest with a sword....it had really sort of advanced animation. it was HUGE when i was a freshman. no way you were playing that one at lunch.

i was trying to think of name earlier.

when 7-11's close it's like finding dead roaches, something really afoul in the convenience store ecological system. of course, the one over by WHittier on McGee has been annexed by the church for several years now. that one hosted the heyday of missile command and defender.
I don't remember the name of that one. Maybe if one of the board nerds comes across this thread, they'll pipe in. I remember B Bell making me late for 5th period because of Robotron, OFTEN!

Don't despair, 7-11s are still in their glory on my coast - LI, especially.

Boarder
2/12/2008, 02:30 PM
Was it Dragon's Lair? The one with cartoon like animation?

King Crimson
2/12/2008, 02:33 PM
it was something like "swordquest" or equally generic. i played a lot of robotron at the Village Store right by Brookhaven...they had good toasted italian subs there inna day.

Boarder
2/12/2008, 02:34 PM
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20070504/dragons-lair-hd-1.jpg

King Crimson
2/12/2008, 02:35 PM
Was it Dragon's Lair? The one with cartoon like animation?

yeah, that's it! nice. i was right in the middle of "fixin" to google "old school video games".

http://mtvgames.typepad.com/mtv_video_games_blog/images/2007/03/21/b_dragons_lair.jpg

BigRedJed
2/12/2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks for responding, Boardurd.