PDA

View Full Version : So I've got to start writing a "Personal Statement"...

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 01:17 AM
..for applying to Homey-school. It needs to be about three pages long and talk about the struggles I've had in my life and why I want to be a shyster.

I'm sooooo tempted to start with "I was born a poor black child in Tupelo Mississippi" and end with "...and that's how I found my special purpose."

If ANY of the admissions committee has a sense of humor, I'm in.

proud gonzo
2/12/2008, 01:23 AM
hehehe

Soonerus
2/12/2008, 01:28 AM
What type of school are u applying 2...

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 01:29 AM
(gulp)

The Sandra Day O'Connor School of Law at ASU. Going for early admission in October after I take the LSAT.

I figure that'll get some chuckles out of people. :D

Soonerus
2/12/2008, 01:35 AM
Two of my kids went to ASU, it is a great school and environment and the law school is greatly respected...it would be an awesome experience...I still own property in Tempe so if you go there stay in touch...

BigRedJed
2/12/2008, 01:38 AM
Aw, hell.

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 01:38 AM
Thanks-I'm sure I'll be around still. If Homey can manage to stay on the board, I can.

Right now this is all in the planning stage. If my sample LSAT scores don't hold up on the actual test, this will go up in smoke REALLY fast.

Soonerus
2/12/2008, 01:45 AM
Mike I fully encourage you to pursue the law degree, despite all the latent jealously it is a great career and you would love It..

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 01:46 AM
Hee hee.

Yeah, though I don't know that I want to be a litigator. I know that's where the money is for the most part, but I'm more interested in banking regulation from either side of the equation.

BigRedJed
2/12/2008, 01:50 AM
The best part about it is that if you get your law degree you can stay up late and post drunk nonsense on SF. Not much of a change for you, now that I think about it.

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 01:50 AM
The best part about it is that if you get your law degree you can stay up late and post drunk nonsense on SF. Not much of a change for you, now that I think about it.

It's not even 10 here. Sheesh.

Soonerus
2/12/2008, 01:51 AM
Hee hee.

Yeah, though I don't know that I want to be a litigator. I know that's where the money is for the most part, but I'm more interested in banking regulation from either side of the equation.

The great thing about law school is it is the last discipline of the generalst...thus, you can go to law school yet your options thereafter are limitlessness....whereas a P.HD in Micro-Biology limits you to that area...

Soonerus
2/12/2008, 01:52 AM

Only after you are rich and can waste your time on such nonsense...

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 01:54 AM
The great thing about law school is it is the last discipline of the generalst...thus, you can go to law school yet your options thereafter are limitlessness....whereas a P.HD in Micro-Biology limits you to that area...

That's what's appealing. I'm a synthesist, which means that I'm suited to be a lawyer or a librarian.

And I look TERRIBLE in a black miniskirt and oversized glasses.

1stTimeCaller
2/12/2008, 01:54 AM
Hee hee.

I have a buddy that's making $300,000 to $400,000/yr putting together some deal for a Dallas bank.

Soonerus
2/12/2008, 01:56 AM
Mike as an attorney you can easily exceed 1,000,000.00 a year...

BigRedJed
2/12/2008, 01:57 AM
Only after you are rich and/or or pathetic and blottoed and can waste your time on such nonsense...
Fixed.

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 01:58 AM
Well, I don't know if I'll do that easily, particularly if (as I said) litigation isn't my thing. At least it isn't now. Who knows how I'll feel about it after I get done in Mock, right?

Soonerus
2/12/2008, 01:58 AM
Fixed.

jealously rears its ugly head...

BigRedJed
2/12/2008, 01:59 AM
sanity rears its ugly head...
Fixed.

1stTimeCaller
Moot, the word you're looking for is moot.

;)

Frozen Sooner
OK, so thing to do before writing my personal statement: figure out where the "r" goes in "writing."

Dang it.

Soonerus
2/12/2008, 02:01 AM
Just write from your heart or you will lose. you can handle it on your own...

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 02:01 AM
Moot, the word you're looking for is moot.

;)

Hermany hermany herm

MOOT MOOT MOOT!

http://www.stefangeens.com/chef.jpg

Soonerus
2/12/2008, 02:03 AM
Hermany hermany herm

MOOT MOOT MOOT!

http://www.stefangeens.com/chef.jpg

I hope you realize that will not cut it with any law school...

Blue
2/12/2008, 02:04 AM
I'm still pondering, "limitlessness."

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 02:04 AM
I hope you realize that will not cut it with any law school...

In a sane society, it would.

olevetonahill
2/12/2008, 02:12 AM
In a sane society, it would.
But you talkin a rus type society so that leaves the sane part out .

Okla-homey
2/12/2008, 06:19 AM
..for applying to Homey-school. It needs to be about three pages long and talk about the struggles I've had in my life and why I want to be a shyster.

I'm sooooo tempted to start with "I was born a poor black child in Tupelo Mississippi" and end with "...and that's how I found my special purpose."

If ANY of the admissions committee has a sense of humor, I'm in.

Explain to them by admitting you, they will immensely benefit all the other goobers in your class who arrive direct from undergrad and whom have never had a real job, any responsibility or life experience...oh, and the fact you have all this banking experience, and you like pork chops, and your favorite color is purple, and your turn-offs are mean people and chicks who have fake boobs. You'll be in like flynn.;)

Tiptonsooner
2/12/2008, 07:39 AM
Explain to them by admitting you, they will immensely benefit all the other goobers in your class who arrive direct from undergrad and whom have never had a real job, any responsibility or life experience...oh, and the fact you have all this banking experience, and you like pork chops, and your favorite color is purple, and your turn-offs are mean people and chicks who have fake boobs. You'll be in like flynn.;)

I knew there was something wrong with you....

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2008, 08:41 AM
good lord, your head is going to be even huger

;)

TexasLidig8r
2/12/2008, 09:52 AM
Too easy..

Dear Admissions Officer...

I wish to be admitted to your institution of higher learning in order to achieve my long term goal of obtaining unlimited power, while maintaining a rapier like wit and an ability to levitate objects.

I am already quite known for my sartorial splendor and routinely and decisively win 53.2% of all arguments with my 14 year old daughter.

In the event you do not have the wisdom and vision to accept my application io instanter, enclosed is the first of my annual contributions to your institution in the amount of $100,000.00.

Looking forward to hearing from you, I remain

Respectfully,

Mike Rich

King Crimson
2/12/2008, 10:04 AM
don't take the personal statement too seriously. err on the side of boring. the chances of it actually coming into play on the admissions decision are pretty small, IMO, unless they state up front it's a big deal. mostly, they'll be interested in your GPA as an undergrad, LSAT scores and taking your money for 3 years. I know for instance that UT has automatic acceptance with GPA/LSAT cutoffs. i assume ASU is somewhat similar. no one may even read the thing.

why ASU? just curious.

BigRedJed
2/12/2008, 10:15 AM
Because he's tired of cold and wants to try out hot for a while.

Boarder
2/12/2008, 12:17 PM
http://www.biggerboat.net/snowmiser/svh/smiser.jpghttp://www.biggerboat.net/snowmiser/svh/hmiser.jpg

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 12:33 PM

Why would I lie to them about the fake boobs?

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 12:34 PM
don't take the personal statement too seriously. err on the side of boring. the chances of it actually coming into play on the admissions decision are pretty small, IMO, unless they state up front it's a big deal. mostly, they'll be interested in your GPA as an undergrad, LSAT scores and taking your money for 3 years. I know for instance that UT has automatic acceptance with GPA/LSAT cutoffs. i assume ASU is somewhat similar. no one may even read the thing.

why ASU? just curious.

They've stated up front it's a big deal.

Several reasons for ASU, but the big ones are:

More affordable than many of the alternatives.
Good law school.
Parents own a house that's 20 minutes from campus.

King Crimson
2/12/2008, 12:42 PM
They've stated up front it's a big deal.

Several reasons for ASU, but the big ones are:

More affordable than many of the alternatives.
Good law school.
Parents own a house that's 20 minutes from campus.

sounds like good reasoning (esp the house). you know MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan is or was in grad school at ASU. might get some lowdown from him.

i have a cousin who practices law in Phoenix. but, i think she went to Kansas Law. maybe ASU. don't remember.

royalfan5
2/12/2008, 12:48 PM
If I would have had to write a personal statement to get into law school at UNL, perhaps I would have thought it through more. Could have saved my some money and a year of my life. In any event, good luck with it.

nmsoonergirl
2/12/2008, 12:51 PM
Ugh. I just finished reading 158 personal statements by would-be residents. If it is any consolation, they are actually more painful to read than to write.

Unfortunately, if ASU doesn't require interviews, the personal statement probably is really important. Once you finish it, have at least 3 or 4 people read through it (and have at least one person who doesn't know you read it) to help clean it up a bit.

Good luck with the law school thing. And try not to take a lot of cases that involve defending child abusers. TIA.

BigRedJed
2/12/2008, 12:58 PM
Also, try not to turn into Lid. TIA.

GottaHavePride
2/12/2008, 02:57 PM
Because he's tired of cold and wants to try out hot for a while.

Can I make a "fat guy in a little coat" joke here?

:D

Hamhock
2/12/2008, 03:04 PM

what's the average salary of a lawyer in OK?

and...were you at the ou/tx basketball game last week?

Oldnslo
2/12/2008, 03:22 PM
um. It's not so easy to exceed $1M/yr. Sure, it can happen.

I know probably 5-6 guys who are in that league (sadly, not including myself or my partners). However, the last time I checked, the average salary for an OK attorney was in the $50K ballpark. That means there's a whole bunch of folks not making a whole lot to balance out just the half-dozen guys I know are crushing it.

Congratulations on following your dream, Froz. There's always a market for the finest.

Hamhock
2/12/2008, 03:27 PM
um. It's not so easy to exceed $1M/yr. Sure, it can happen.

I know probably 5-6 guys who are in that league (sadly, not including myself or my partners). However, the last time I checked, the average salary for an OK attorney was in the $50K ballpark. That means there's a whole bunch of folks not making a whole lot to balance out just the half-dozen guys I know are crushing it.

Congratulations on following your dream, Froz. There's always a market for the finest.

that was my point. I've had a trashman and a plumber as clients that earned over $1M. doesn't mean that's the norm. an attorney friend of mine said the average for an attorney was $60k, but that was a couple of years ago.

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 03:31 PM

Sure, but where does that leave me?

Hamhock
2/12/2008, 03:32 PM
Sure, but where does that leave me?

just hope it's not plaintiff work at the workers' comp court.

no offense to any workers' comp plaintiff barristers

NormanPride
2/12/2008, 03:48 PM
You couldn't pay me enough to settle other peoples' problems. God bless you, Mike. :D

Okla-homey
2/13/2008, 08:14 AM
just hope it's not plaintiff work at the workers' comp court.

no offense to any workers' comp plaintiff barristers

that place reminds me of the bar scene in Star Wars. or an arab bazaar;
all sorts of people wandering around on crutches, rolling about in rented wheelchairs or wearing neck braces. disheveled lawyers in crumpled suits. chicken feathers in the air...the dust...the smells...the cacophony of multiple languages.

Hamhock
2/13/2008, 09:45 AM
that place reminds me of the bar scene in Star Wars. or an arab bazaar;
all sorts of people wandering around on crutches, rolling about in rented wheelchairs or wearing neck braces. disheveled lawyers in crumpled suits. chicken feathers in the air...the dust...the smells...the cacophony of multiple languages.

i was going to be a lawyer until i spent a summer in workers' comp court. it was unbelievable. i can't tell you the number of times i heard lawyers coaching their clients on how to act hurt.