PDA

View Full Version : Great quote by Bobby Knight on The Tonight Show...

Soonerus
2/12/2008, 12:34 AM
"The difference between an assistant coach and head coach is suggestion versus decision"...

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 01:21 AM
And the difference between assault and battery is intent to harm vs. illegal touching.

Soonerus
2/12/2008, 01:23 AM
And the difference between assault and battery is intent to harm vs. illegal touching.

No, the difference is almost touching with intent versus touching with intent...

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 01:24 AM
Fair enough. I figured RMK would be the expert.

badger
2/12/2008, 12:19 PM
Bobby Knight is behind times. It used to acceptable for a drill sergeant to bark orders with four letter words and expect everything to be your way. That way has passed. It's a whole new ballgame and I think his son understands that. Hence, I don't think we'll see any chairs flying from Pat Knight's hands.

stoopified
2/12/2008, 05:40 PM
Bobby Knight is behind times. It used to acceptable for a drill sergeant to bark orders with four letter words and expect everything to be your way. That way has passed. It's a whole new ballgame and I think his son understands that. Hence, I don't think we'll see any chairs flying from Pat Knight's hands.He WOULD be hard pressed to be half the a$$hole his father is.

richsooner
2/13/2008, 11:03 AM
Never was OK in the sports world... Military is entirely different, lives and our freedom are at stake, leaders have to do what ever is necessary to win...Not so with coaches, they need to show a little class, at least once in a awhile.....!!!!!!!

Bobby Knight is behind times. It used to acceptable for a drill sergeant to bark orders with four letter words and expect everything to be your way. That way has passed. It's a whole new ballgame and I think his son understands that. Hence, I don't think we'll see any chairs flying from Pat Knight's hands.

2/13/2008, 11:31 AM
From a media standpoint, I like Bob Knight. You pretty much know what you are going to get with the guy.

As for his personality and player relationships, I could not care less.

CNCSooner
2/13/2008, 04:41 PM
"The difference between an assistant coach and head coach is suggestion versus decision"...

Got to admit, its still a pretty good quote. He has to be careful with his choice of words as to not imply his son can't handle it.

Eielson
2/13/2008, 11:16 PM
Bobby Knight is behind times. It used to acceptable for a drill sergeant to bark orders with four letter words and expect everything to be your way. That way has passed. It's a whole new ballgame and I think his son understands that.

Yes, kinda like Sean Sutton.:P

stoops the eternal pimp
2/13/2008, 11:18 PM
I think his best quote was "What the **** did you call me?"

badger
2/14/2008, 10:37 AM
Bobby Knight has had some wonderfully entertaining clips. I think it was funny when somebody hit "record" on one of his locker room chats back at Indiana. You can listen to it on YouTube. It is profanity laced.

I think that Bobby has taught his son well at both Indiana and Texas Tech. When Pat initially tried coaching without learning behind daddy awhile, he was fired from a few jobs, but I think after assisting dad for about a decade, I think he is prepared. Pat even said in a few interviews that Bobby told him not to curse out players as much, because they stop listening after awhile. However, I think Pat will also have all the emphasis on academics and hard work that dad did, which is a credit.

Sean? Weeeeelllll, I think people gave him too much credit back when daddy was still at OSU. People said that Eddie was just a figurehead and that Sean was doing all the coaching. That might be true, but it's obvious that Eddie was doing all the recruiting. More talented OSU teams might have pulled off some of these close losses. This less talented OSU team is obviously not up to scratch, despite last night's KSU victory.

Capel is also the son of a coach, but he had a chance to learn from others and develop his own program, too. I think it is a credit to Capel that he didn't just hide behind Jeff Capel Jr. or Sr. before taking a job. He's earned the OU job.

As of late, here is where I would follow a Capel praise with a token KS bash. So, here goes: Kellen obviously has the talent to motivate a team, but that is clearly because he inherited his mother's charm and personality.

Flagstaffsooner
2/16/2008, 02:28 PM
Yes, kinda like Sean Sutton.:PThat would be passing the bottle.

BarryBnds
2/18/2008, 02:43 PM

As a recent boot camp graduate of Ft. Sill I will respectfully disagree. It is very acceptable for D.I.'s to bark orders and curse and it is very affective. Bob Knight learned his way of coaching while at Army. Not sure why this gets lost on why Knight coaches the way he does.

47Wins
2/20/2008, 01:03 PM
And the difference between Bobby Knight and the biggest #$%hole in the world is.........oh that's right he's one and the same

picasso
2/20/2008, 01:12 PM
From a media standpoint, I like Bob Knight. You pretty much know what you are going to get with the guy.

A bully and an a-hole? Yes.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/20/2008, 01:53 PM
So after Calvin gets fired on Friday, will Bob go back to IU?

Ash
2/20/2008, 01:59 PM
So after Calvin gets fired on Friday, will Bob go back to IU?

Nope. Although if the current AD is gone, too, that opens up more doors. He's not exactly on friendly terms with Knight and many of Knight's proteges.