PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read this about the Ruskis?

Sooner_Havok
2/11/2008, 11:37 PM
link (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/11/russian.bomber/index.html?iref=mpstoryview)

Sounds like they are testing our reactions and defense plans. Anyone else get that feeling?

Whet
2/11/2008, 11:39 PM
Nothing new, the Soviets did that all the time, before they became "Russians"

sooner_born_1960
2/11/2008, 11:42 PM
I think Tom Clancey wrote a book that started that way.

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 12:54 AM
Is 500 miles really that close? Admittedly I have no military experience so I have no idea whether it really is or not, but that's a LONG way.

BigRedJed
2/12/2008, 02:02 AM
The only thing that makes me uncomfortable about that is that we know about it.

Blue
2/12/2008, 02:07 AM
Should've been classified.

http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/actors_films_images/top_gun_goose_and_maverick.jpg

1stTimeCaller
2/12/2008, 02:11 AM
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- American fighter jets intercepted two Russian bombers, one of which buzzed a U.S. aircraft carrier in the western Pacific over the weekend, U.S. military officials told CNN Monday.

A Tupolev-95 flies over the Izu Islands, just south of Tokyo on Saturday.

One of them twice flew about 2,000 feet over the deck of the USS Nimitz Saturday while another flew about 50 miles away, officials said. Two others were at least 100 miles away, the military reported.

U.S. Defense officials said four F/A-18A fighter jets from the Nimitz were in the air.

The Russians and the U.S. carrier did not exchange verbal communications. Watch U.S. aircraft carrier USS Nimitz »

Four turboprop Tupolev-95 Bear bombers took off from Ukrainka air base, in Russia's Far East, in the middle of the night, Japanese officials told The Associated Press, adding that one of the jets violated Japanese airspace.

Russian bombers have been making flights over the western Pacific for several months. In September, two U.S. F-15 fighters scrambled to intercept a plane that came within 50 miles of the coastline.

There have been eight incidents off Alaska since July. Among the latest, on September 5, six F-15s from Elmendorf Air Force Base, adjacent to Anchorage, Alaska, intercepted six Russian bombers about 50 miles from the northwest coast of Alaska.

Two similar incidents occurred in August, one near Cape Lisburne, Alaska, and the other near Cold Bay, Alaska, west of the Aleutian Islands. E-mail to a friend

that's pretty wild

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 02:30 AM
Ah. The account I read made it seem as if they were 500 miles away. Yeah, buzzing the tower isn't ok.

BigRedJed
2/12/2008, 02:35 AM
I hate to say it, but they (and the rest of the world) smell blood. I would NEVER change it, but there are some disadvantages to our open political process. Vigilence is a virtue in the world we live in.

SicEmBaylor
2/12/2008, 02:35 AM
Shoot them down.

Shneeg11
2/12/2008, 02:39 AM
NUKE RUSSIA!! only kidding

SoonerKnight
2/12/2008, 02:49 AM
Russia is changing back to the old was. The dork that was their president is now prime minister and if what I read awhile back is true it is pretty much until he wants to step down and somehow he was able to get more power than their president. His reforms are to take things back to Soviet style runnings where the state controlled you and you were "safe" from such things as an entrapanural (SP) setting. As for the bombers they were really testing the limits to fly over an aircraft carrier. As far as the two not communicating. That means the Russians ignored the warnings. The Navy does not play with this kind of stuff. Now the Nimitz is not the best carrier we have and really the only thing the Russians could get out of flying overhead is pictures but it is an old carrier really nothing to add to the Russians intel. Here is a link to the carriers info:

http://www.nimitz.navy.mil/_links/shipinformation.html

I served in 7th foward deployed meaning Japan not Hawaii and that is where the action is. The Russians spied on us all the time. Of course we reciprocated. :D

Blue
2/12/2008, 02:52 AM
Putin is still in charge. Still president I mean. All that you say will be true though.

soonerbrat
2/12/2008, 06:58 AM
Is 500 miles really that close? Admittedly I have no military experience so I have no idea whether it really is or not, but that's a LONG way.

500 miles takes less than 1.5 hours in a commercial jetliner. fighter planes go faster, so no, it's not that far....

OU4LIFE
2/12/2008, 09:08 AM

ok, I've read it twice now, and I have NO IDEA where you came up with that 500 mile figure.

is that new lawyer math or something?

Curly Bill
2/12/2008, 09:57 AM
This is nothing new and in fact has been going on for years and years. We constantly probe their defenses to gauge their reactions and vice versa. It happens in the air, it happens at sea, and it happens under the sea.

Nothing to be alarmed about folks.

colleyvillesooner
2/12/2008, 10:06 AM
They actually have a picture from when the pilots returned to the Ukraine Base...

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/459/3637759stdyk2.jpg

BigRedJed
2/12/2008, 10:18 AM
I heard they flew by upside down and flipped off the tower.

BillyBall
2/12/2008, 10:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfbjUmG8zGk

Animal Mother
2/12/2008, 11:56 AM
This is nothing new and in fact has been going on for years and years. We constantly probe their defenses to gauge their reactions and vice versa. It happens in the air, it happens at sea, and it happens under the sea.

Nothing to be alarmed about folks.

Damn it!!! I was already wringing my hands in fear and had the Mrs. digging a bomb shelter while pretending to plant a garden. Have I over-reacted???

Miko
2/12/2008, 12:14 PM
Damn it!!! I was already wringing my hands in fear and had the Mrs. digging a bomb shelter while pretending to plant a garden. Have I over-reacted???

NO. I suggest we continue all efforts to be too rich and too prepared. Read Alas, Babylon. But finish digging first.

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 12:48 PM
ok, I've read it twice now, and I have NO IDEA where you came up with that 500 mile figure.

is that new lawyer math or something?

I read a different article and it seemed from that article that they were 500 miles away.

colleyvillesooner
2/12/2008, 12:49 PM
I have a bad feeling about your practice LSAT.

;)

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 12:51 PM
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1305007,00.html?&lid=NEWS_TAB_US_ALERT_OVER_RUSSIAN_BOMBERS&lpos=TAB_CONTENT

Alert: Russian Bombers Buzz US Carrier

Updated:10:04, Tuesday February 12, 2008
American fighter jets have been scrambled after Russian bombers buzzed a US aircraft carrier in the western Pacific.
FA-18 fighter takes off from carrier
FA-18 fighter takes off from carrier

The alert was sparked when two Tu-95 Bear bombers flew within 500 miles of the USS Nimitz.

The remainder of the article was posted later.

Pricetag
2/12/2008, 12:57 PM
We should just make fun of their propeller planes whenver they come around. That ought to make them stop.

BigRedJed
2/12/2008, 01:13 PM
Prolly 500 miles and closing. Really ****ing fast.

Curly Bill
2/12/2008, 02:55 PM

Maybe not, you might be on the: better safe then sorry plan. :D

Harry Beanbag
2/12/2008, 06:08 PM
In the original linked article it says 50 miles, which is way too close. Normally, we like to keep enemy aircraft over 100 miles away since the range of the Exocet anti-ship missile is about 100 miles. I really don't know what to say about a Russian bomber flying 2000 feet over one of our carriers. :eek: Sounds like they called our bluff when they were warned to go away or risk being shot down, which is a little worrisome.

critical_phil
2/12/2008, 06:30 PM
This is nothing new and in fact has been going on for years and years.

i remember seeing this at least a half-dozen times when i was on various gator freighters.

i'm trying to remember if the ships even called general quarters or sent up the alert av8b's. i know i was topside and took a photo of one, so it couldn't have been too serious.

mdklatt
2/12/2008, 06:31 PM
In the original linked article it says 50 miles, which is way too close. Normally, we like to keep enemy aircraft over 100 miles away since the range of the Exocet anti-ship missile is about 100 miles. I really don't know what to say about a Russian bomber flying 2000 feet over one of our carriers. :eek: Sounds like they called our bluff when they were warned to go away or risk being shot down, which is a little worrisome.

How large of a security zone can a naval group legally claim while in international waters?

Sooner_Havok
2/12/2008, 06:31 PM
I just miss the Soviets. Ah, the good ole days....:(

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 06:32 PM
How large of a security zone can a naval group legally claim while in international waters?

What's the effective range of an AEGIS system?

'Bout that. ;)

mdklatt
2/12/2008, 06:33 PM

It sure beat this terrorist/insurrection crap.

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 06:33 PM

Yeah, then we could just not vote for people because their names are vaguely Russian.

Sooner_Havok
2/12/2008, 06:34 PM

I know right. Back when we knew who our enemy was, yup, I sure do miss the good ole days and the talks of M.A.D.:texan:

Sooner_Havok
2/12/2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah, then we could just not vote for people because their names are vaguely Russian.

heh, multi-thread smack talk. :D

Harry Beanbag
2/12/2008, 07:16 PM

What's legality have to do with it? You can have as large a security zone as you want as long as you're willing and able to defend it. Now are we going to shoot down a slow-*** Russian bomber that ignores our warnings to stay clear? No, not right now...

Jerk
2/12/2008, 07:28 PM
I do, too. It was a world that was much easier to understand. Them. Us. They have nukes, and so do we.

We also shared something with our communist rival: we both had a great sense of self-preservation. I don't think that can be said of our enemies today.

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 07:31 PM
I do, too. It was a world that was much easier to understand. Them. Us. They have nukes, and so do we.

We also shared something with our communist rival: we both had a great sense of self-preserveration. I don't think that can be said of our enemies today.

Sting wrote a kinda-decent song about that once...

Jerk
2/12/2008, 07:34 PM
Sting wrote a kinda-decent song about that once...

I hope he spelled preservation right.

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2008, 07:35 PM
Maybe. Sting's probably too busy practicing Tantric Yoga to care much about spelling. :D