PDA

View Full Version : Great SI Article on Jermie Calhoun

mynameisjoe
2/11/2008, 12:38 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/the_bonus/02/07/calhoun/index.html

Looks like a genuinely good person. Excited to have him as a Sooner!

auto
2/11/2008, 08:42 AM
Sounds like a classy guy. Now I hope he makes the whorns pay for their pass on him.

Sooner_Bob
2/11/2008, 08:59 AM
Nice read . . . thanks.

Curly Bill
2/11/2008, 10:02 AM
Nice read. Thanks for posting.

Jacie
2/11/2008, 11:28 AM
He is a good kid, no apparent issues or any reason to doubt his character. Of course, to read what the whorns have to say, you'd think we just recruited the worst one in the state of Texas.

This first post cast aspersions on JC's ability:

Bundy
1000+ posts
02/06/08 10:07 AM
Re: Top RB Recruit in Texas? [re: LongJohn]

Calhoun is over-rated.

Next poster must know something no one knows despite the intense scrutiny this young man has been under.

ngnichols
1000+ posts
02/06/08 10:09 AM

Mack passed on Calhoun because of grade/character issues. Yes, he initially wanted to come to Texas, but Mack had zero interest from the get go so I think that says something in itself right there.

Then there's the old "he-didn't-come-here-cuz-we-didn't-want-him-in-the-first-place" excuse.

fall01nk
25+ posts
02/06/08 11:34 AM

Bottom line....they got him because we didn't want him

None of the land thieves can argue that one.

Jacie
2/11/2008, 11:30 AM

sooner518
2/11/2008, 12:57 PM
maybe they were waiting for Darrell Scott. :D

Character issues. haha I love it. How many weed arrests have the Bonghorns had in the past 2 years?

SoonerLB
2/11/2008, 01:16 PM
Great read! Always nice to hear about a kid like that, and even better when they are gonna be a SOONER! :D

Desert Sapper
2/11/2008, 01:37 PM
maybe they were waiting for Darrell Scott. :D

Character issues. haha I love it. How many weed arrests have the Bonghorns had in the past 2 years?

I think there was an element of surprise to Charles' early declaration. The mad scamble for RBs happened a touch too late for the whorns.

Civicus_Sooner
2/11/2008, 01:38 PM
Ha Ha, yeah horns you guys better stay away from thos "questionable character" types. Arent you the most arrested football team in CFB?

SoonerFaninAZ
2/11/2008, 01:52 PM
fall01nk
25+ posts

Yeah, and they never wanted Jack Mildren, Joe Washington, Billy Sims, Thomas Lott, George Cumby, Greg Roberts, Brian Bosworth, Tommie Harris, Adrian Peterson, etc, etc, etc.

mynameisjoe
2/11/2008, 03:26 PM
Maybe they missed out on him because their recruiting pitch is "You're a Texan, come to Texas!" Here's something I found on another message board from R.J. Washington:

"Texas was like, you live in Texas, you should want to come to Texas,” said Washington, a defensive end from Keller who was the top-rated overall player in the state. "I was like, what? Uh, good luck with that one. Texas seemed kind of stuck up, snooty.”

bstuff1979
2/11/2008, 05:17 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/wbennettberry/lookingforgatewood.jpg

Questionable character, huh? The better high school players from texas understand that when they go north to play for Oklahoma, they won't have to worry about parole officers and on duty police roaming the sidelines.

OU-HSV
2/11/2008, 08:41 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/the_bonus/02/07/calhoun/index.html

Looks like a genuinely good person. Excited to have him as a Sooner!
Thanks for the post, great read. Sounds like a great guy.
Also, although the article mentioned his poor grades in his younger years, it quickly stated he's got the grades up and the ACT score up (or something like that). So he should be fine.

And those quotes from the whorn fans are funny. Give me a break, those bunch of whorn idiots must know nothing about recruiting and must not pay much attention to the facts of Stoops' year in/year out successful recruiting of top players in texas. They act like we get all the sloppy seconds from their state's high schools. Anyone with half a brain knows that's not even near true. I shouldn't have even wasted time posting about that, but that's just flat out stupid for them to say.

47straight
2/11/2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah, and they never wanted Jack Mildren, Joe Washington, Billy Sims, Thomas Lott, George Cumby, Greg Roberts, Brian Bosworth, Tommie Harris, Adrian Peterson, etc, etc, etc.

They definitely didn't want Joe Washington. He was an african-american, and they hadn't integrated their team yet. But hey, it was only 1970s.

Flying Scotsman
2/11/2008, 10:30 PM
As said above....I guess they are still waiting on AD....

Whet
2/11/2008, 10:33 PM
Very good read. thanks

SOONERxWife73
2/11/2008, 11:09 PM
welcome to OUr village

OKC-SLC
2/12/2008, 12:59 AM
I will somehow muster the willpower to celebrate when we beat Texas, again, and win championships, again, with players from Texas that TU didn't want.

Teh doosh. They has it.

TMcGee86
2/12/2008, 12:32 PM
Meeting Peterson on an early recruiting trip in Norman, Okla., was a huge thrill for Calhoun. "I wasn't really listening to what he was telling me," says Calhoun. "I was just looking at how big he was. I was thinking, Man, this is unreal, I'm meeting A.P.!"

somebody negspek this n00b. :rolleyes:

setem
2/12/2008, 01:40 PM
Who's in the house?

J C!

TELL ME WHO'S IN THE HOUSE!?

J C!

bstuff1979
2/12/2008, 02:12 PM
Who's in the house?

J C!

TELL ME WHO'S IN THE HOUSE!?

J C!

For a second there, I thought you were talking about Arizona State.

PLaw
2/12/2008, 08:15 PM
He is a good kid, no apparent issues or any reason to doubt his character. Of course, to read what the whorns have to say, you'd think we just recruited the worst one in the state of Texas.

Bundy
1000+ posts

Calhoun is over-rated.

Next poster must know something no one knows despite the intense scrutiny this young man has been under.

ngnichols
1000+ posts

Mack passed on Calhoun because of grade/character issues. Yes, he initially wanted to come to Texas, but Mack had zero interest from the get go so I think that says something in itself right there.

Then there's the old "he-didn't-come-here-cuz-we-didn't-want-him-in-the-first-place" excuse.

fall01nk
25+ posts

Yep, somebody needs to get this to Jermie or have it posted on his locker. That should provide sufficient motivation to go kick some whiney orange butt.

BOOMER

sooner94
2/12/2008, 11:12 PM
Random thought here. Did you know that Jack Nicholson also thought his mother was his sister? I read that in an article the other day.

I think Calhoun can do some great things.

OUmillenium
2/13/2008, 09:20 AM
heh

Breadburner
2/13/2008, 09:36 AM
Can we change his name....I'm having a hard time calling him Germy.....

Big Red Ron
2/13/2008, 09:50 AM
JC part Deaux

flopshotjoe99
2/14/2008, 12:45 PM
good read.:cool:

cheezyq
2/14/2008, 02:13 PM

Bundy
1000+ posts

Calhoun is over-rated.

ngnichols
1000+ posts

fall01nk
25+ posts

LOL. I'm seeing shades of the "Bradford seems like he sucks" hornfans debacle, circa 6 months ago. Will they ever learn?

Difference between a Sooner fan and a Whorn fan (aside from the obvious) - A Sooner fan makes fun of a Bonghorn player after he's proven that he's a bust, or he laces up his handcuffs for a trip to the Austin practice/correctional facility. A Whorn fan goes after a player before he's ever played a game, and deletes a thread when said "sucky" player lights 'em up in the RRS.