PDA

View Full Version : ***The Official MMA Thread***

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

stoops the eternal pimp
2/10/2008, 06:48 PM
What do you know bout this Kimbo Slice guy fighting Tank Abbott on the 16th? I was watching Inside MMA on HDNet, hosted by some idiot and Bas Rutten, and this beastly man was on the show calling himself the "Tank Killer."

What scared me most about this show was them playing a music cd cut by Mr Rutten himself..I used to be a Bas fan back in the day but the album made me wanna hate him..Zeus was kinda into it though.

Scott D
2/10/2008, 07:29 PM
You know if you put a six pack in front of Tank Abbott, he'll be holding MMA auditions from the holding tank.

KC//CRIMSON
2/10/2008, 08:46 PM
Dana "snoop dog" White talks trash on Fedor.

"Fedor isn’t a real fighter, he’s a complete joke. “He’s fighting middleweights and guys who have absolutely no business fighting – and he’s looking like s*** doing it.

“It’s 2008 and he hasn’t had a real fight since 2005. I don’t care about what he did in PRIDE years ago - he can’t live with anyone in the top five in the UFC and that’s why he’s not here.

“He’s not in the UFC because if he was he couldn’t avoid real competition like he’s been doing for years now.

Fedor Emelianenko, the final reigning heavyweight champion in PRIDE’s history, has issued a response to UFC president Dana White in regards to White’s continued criticism of his ability as a top fighter.

"Numerous times have I read mister White’s statements on Internet concerning myself. In my opinion, allowing yourself to say those things is not a sign of a gentleman or a grown man at all! If he candidly wants to prove himself right then let my fight with Randy happen or let me face the reigning UFC champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. In the future I wouldn’t want to hear those statements in my address ever again and I won’t tolerate that.

My last fight in Japan proved that I’m ready to fight anybody with any height advantage, skillset or experience. I have fought and still wish to fight the best athletes. The Randy fight is my goal number one right now, he’s a great fighter and this is a very unfortunate situation when too strict and one-sided UFC contracts don’t let this fight happen.

The whole world is eager to see me fight your champions, people don’t want to listen to your press-conferences. I’m signed with M-1 Global and this promotion is ready to organize such fights under our banner or in co-promoted events."

Joe Rogan comments on Dana White's remarks about Fedor.:D

Adult language - http://www.dailymotion.com/search/dana%2Bwhite/video/x49k8y_joe-rogan-on-fedor-and-dana-bullshi_fun

usmc-sooner
2/10/2008, 08:54 PM
although I think Dana has done a great job with promoting MMA and turning huge profits for UFC (I think he's great for the sport with what he's done) but he is a hard person to like.

I think his whole routine is old. Dude you're the CEO of a company and when they interview he sounds like a kid who just discovered cuss words. He acts like he is one of the fighters.

To say that about Fedor is stupid and sounds like sour grapes. He better watch out because of his 3 biggest draws 1 is gone (Cotoure) two are on the decline (Liddell and Wandy)

the link isn't working for me

usmc-sooner
2/10/2008, 09:01 PM
Tank's old and fat but I guess even as you age you keep your KO power, Kimbo that's a scary looking dude, all I know about him is that he used to video his street fights, tuff guy.

Turd_Ferguson
2/10/2008, 09:39 PM
Tank may be a warshed up, but I bet he show's kimbo what's up.

royalfan5
2/10/2008, 09:40 PM
Didn't Slice fight Ray Mercer last year.

critical_phil
2/10/2008, 09:43 PM
Didn't Slice fight Ray Mercer last year.

yep, and his MMA debut was slighly less impressive than Johnnie Morton's.

Kimbo, while i'm sure he's a bad muther****er, is fighing the likes of Tank Abbot for a reason. he'd get his *** handed to him by any legit heavyweight.

Turd_Ferguson
2/10/2008, 09:54 PM

Kimbo, while i'm sure he's a bad muther****er, is fighing the likes of Tank Abbot for a reason. he'd get his *** handed to him by any legit heavyweight.It's all in the $.....I havn't seen Tank fight since the late 90's...I'm sure they both just want to make a buck. I read that Kimbos been training in one of the MMA camps. You can see here (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/13017) what happens when he get's a little taste of it.

Sooner_Bob
2/10/2008, 10:05 PM

Kimbo, while i'm sure he's a bad muther****er, is fighing the likes of Tank Abbot for a reason. he'd get his *** handed to him by any legit heavyweight.

I think Johnny Morton is still out from that shot . . .

Sooner_Bob
2/11/2008, 09:16 AM
As far as Kimbo vs. Tank goes unless Tank's workout habits have changed, the most work he'll do for this fight is the two minutes he'll last before gasing out.

tbl
2/11/2008, 09:21 AM
Kimbo has been training with Bas for a while now. If you're not sure who he is or where he came from, just youtube him. He was an internet street fighting "sensation". His personality is horribly bland and the show last week with Tank was much more entertaining.

Kenny Rice used to bug the heck out of me, but I actually like the guy now. He says some pretty funny stuff (typically corny) but I think you just have to consider the source. A couple of weeks ago Herb Dean (the black ref with the long braids) was on the panel and he was making an analogy about a "pushy" salesman and the "sh" sound sounded just like an "s" sound. Kenny said "What kind of salesman? I guess you can get anything now a days". Bas was cracking up but it looked like Herb completely missed it.

You didn't like Bas' song "I wanna chill"? I thought it was hilarious. Bas is pure greatness man.

I wouldn't necessarily call Tank a legit HW. The guy is 4-10. This fight is just going to be a brawl.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/11/2008, 09:58 AM
Kimbo has been training with Bas for a while now. If you're not sure who he is or where he came from, just youtube him. He was an internet street fighting "sensation". His personality is horribly bland and the show last week with Tank was much more entertaining.

Kenny Rice used to bug the heck out of me, but I actually like the guy now. He says some pretty funny stuff (typically corny) but I think you just have to consider the source. A couple of weeks ago Herb Dean (the black ref with the long braids) was on the panel and he was making an analogy about a "pushy" salesman and the "sh" sound sounded just like an "s" sound. Kenny said "What kind of salesman? I guess you can get anything now a days". Bas was cracking up but it looked like Herb completely missed it.

You didn't like Bas' song "I wanna chill"? I thought it was hilarious. Bas is pure greatness man.

I wouldn't necessarily call Tank a legit HW. The guy is 4-10. This fight is just going to be a brawl.

I was thinking did he seriously cut an album? I thought it was funny but I wouldnt wanna listen to too much of it.

I was a big Bas guy back in the Pancrase day. I loved his fight with Mark Coleman when he just kept kicking him in the knee til he couldn't walk.

Sooner_Bob
2/11/2008, 11:41 AM
Whoop whoop!!

El Guapo in da howz . . .

stoops the eternal pimp
2/11/2008, 11:56 AM
I wanna chill..werd

Sooner_Bob
2/11/2008, 12:01 PM
Inside MMA is a very cool show. I'm glad Mark Cuban decided to support it. Kenny Rice may not be the easiest guy to listen to, but at least they don't have Steve "The Fight Professor" Quadros on there . . . or Bill Goldberg.

To ease your pain, just watch the Kimbo/Tank fight with the volume on mute.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/11/2008, 12:11 PM
The show I watched had Kimbo, the elite xc prez, dolph lungren, kenny rice and bas in studio..kenny was just too cornball for me. They would ask Kimbo a question and he would usually grunt something inaudible out. Dolph didnt wanna be there and bas ruled the show.

Sooner_Bob
2/11/2008, 12:17 PM
Bas is the main reason to watch that show . . . he's way more of a personality than folks realize.

KC//CRIMSON
2/11/2008, 04:31 PM
the link isn't working for me

Should be working now.

I like how the person making that audio/video put it together. That slam that Randleman put on Fedor is one of the most incredible things I have ever seen in MMA. Not only does he survive, but he submits him a minute later. Unbelievable.

Sooner_Bob
2/11/2008, 04:46 PM
I wanna see Fedor vs. Arona II . . .

KC//CRIMSON
2/11/2008, 09:29 PM
I wanna see Fedor vs. Arona II . . .

Arona doesn't want any of that. He got pwnd by Soko and was never heard from again. Hope he shows up somewhere in a LHW division.

Sooner_Bob
2/12/2008, 08:38 AM
Don't you think that fight was over to fast to really call it a pwning . . . speaking of Soko, any idea who he might fight next?

KC//CRIMSON
2/12/2008, 12:42 PM
Don't you think that fight was over to fast to really call it a pwning . . . speaking of Soko, any idea who he might fight next?

Instead of pwnd how about "You just got knocked the **** out!"

I read somewhere his next opponent would likely be either Jardine or Wandy.

UFC has also confirmed Liddell vs Shogun in UFC 85 in June.

Good gawd, Rua better bring something more to this fight than he did with Forrest. That was pathetic, I still can't believe that happened.

SoonerBBall
2/13/2008, 10:56 AM

I read somewhere his next opponent would likely be either Jardine or Wandy.

UFC has also confirmed Liddell vs Shogun in UFC 85 in June.

Good gawd, Rua better bring something more to this fight than he did with Forrest. That was pathetic, I still can't believe that happened.

I love Forrest. He is the prototypical "more heart than talent" guy and his win over Shogun was so dominant that it had me on my feet. Flipping off the Chute Box team between elbows to the face just makes him that much more endearing.

That being said, I hope we get to see the Shogun I've seen videos online step up and start kicking ***. The LHW division is solid, but it seems like a whole lot of guys that beat up on each other without having some very clear top contenders.

KC//CRIMSON
2/13/2008, 01:03 PM
http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/headlines/images/20080213/20080213-00000019-spnavi-fight-view-000.jpg

PRIDE's 2006 Open-Weight Grand Prix champion Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic has officially parted ways with the UFC and signed with DREAM - a new collaborative effort between FEG (K-1, HERO'S) and former DSE staff (PRIDE).

The new event is a drastic change following new creative leadership over HERO's. FEG is hoping to bring new life to their MMA show and the addition of former DSE staff is what they are looking for.

At an official press conference on Wednesday the promotion announced that "Cro Cop" had joined their ranks and would be fighting on their upcoming March 15 card. No opponent was named.

Specific details surrounding his departure from the UFC are currently unknown.

Filipovic (22-6-2) signed with the UFC following his first major championship - winning PRIDE's 2006 Open-Weight Grand Prix. He made his UFC debut against Eddie Sanchez in February of 2007. Following his TKO win he lost his next two fights - succumbing to a head kick KO from Gabriel Gonzaga and dropping a decision to Cheick Kongo.

Prior to his 1-2 run in the UFC, "Cro Cop" was considered the number two heavyweight in the world. The Croatian striker holds wins over former UFC heavyweight champion and PRIDE's 2006 Open-Weight Grand Prix finalist Josh Barnett, Olympic Judo gold medalist Hidehiko Yoshida, Aleskander Emelianenko, former PRIDE middleweight champion Wanderlei Silva, Igor Vovchanchyn, Kevin Randleman, Mark Coleman, Heath Herring, Kazuyuki Fujita, Japanese superstar and MMA legend Kazushi Sakuraba, and Ikuhisa Minowa.

Sooner_Bob
2/13/2008, 01:12 PM

:D

Sad to see Mirko leave the UFC . . . I bet he hated fighting in the cage.

KC//CRIMSON
2/13/2008, 01:18 PM
:D

Sad to see Mirko leave the UFC . . . I bet he hated fighting in the cage.

Totally hated it. He needs to get his mental game back.

KC//CRIMSON
2/13/2008, 01:33 PM
Fedor Emelianenko will have his own reality TV show.

While UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture (16-8-0) remains tied up in legal squabbles with the owners of the octagon, top-ranked Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko (27-1-0) has decided to do his own reality TV show.

Coming off a win over 7-foot-tall 352-pound Korean giant Hong Man Choi (1-1-0), Emelianenko will star in "Fighting Fedor". Produced by M-1 Global, the show features 16 heavyweight prospects in a tournament-style competition. The winner gets a fight against Emelianenko.

"M-1 Global is embarking on a journey across four continents to find MMA's best young heavyweight contenders," the video narrator says. "16 fighters will travel to St. Petersburg, Russia's Red Devils Sports Club, where they will open their doors to American television cameras for the first time. From there, the fighters will spend the next several weeks living together, training together and fighting each other in a full-contact mixed-martial-arts tournament, the likes of which have never been seen on American television."

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNt5kZV2PS4

I don't know what to think about this. Looks kinda cheesy. I'm not a big fan of TUF either, so that goes out the window. I guess it makes sense if you're starting a new organization and want to get people interested and help bring in new fighters.

I don't think fighters like Barnett, Hunt, and a slew of others have found a home yet. So who knows?

Sooner_Bob
2/13/2008, 01:35 PM
I heard about that . . . I was a little surprised that they included the Fedor angle, but I'd be shocked if Dana White would let them do something similar to TUF, so maybe this is all they could do.

I imagine all this will do is continue to feed the argument about Fedor not fighting any "top 10 HWs".

I can only imagine what the mood on sherdog is like with this news.

KC//CRIMSON
2/13/2008, 01:46 PM
I heard about that . . . I was a little surprised that they included the Fedor angle, but I'd be shocked if Dana White would let them do something similar to TUF, so maybe this is all they could do.

I imagine all this will do is continue to feed the argument about Fedor not fighting any "top 10 HWs".

I can only imagine what the mood on sherdog is like with this news.

It's all in Dana White/Zuffa's court. If they weren't so greedy, these fights would be taking place already. They want full control over their fighters and it's just not going to happen with the best fighter in the world right now.

People need to realize the best fighters in the world are not all in one organization. MMA isn't like the NFL or the NBA. It's an individual sport and there are great fighters all over the world.

If they had any balls they would let their fighters/Randy fight wherever and whoever, just like everyone else.

I say they should just have one big giant OWGP overseas and let the fighters fall where they may. And then do it again the next year.

Sooner_Bob
2/13/2008, 01:56 PM
It's all in Dana White/Zuffa's court. If they weren't so greedy, these fights would be taking place already. They want full control over their fighters and it's just not going to happen with the best fighter in the world right now.

People need to realize the best fighters in the world are not all in one organization. MMA isn't like the NFL or the NBA. It's an individual sport and there are great fighters all over the world.

If they had any balls they would let their fighters/Randy fight wherever and whoever, just like everyone else.

I say they should just have one big giant OWGP overseas and let the fighters fall where they may. And then do it again the next year.

Yep.

I know why they don't do fight to fight contracts (not as much security), but there has to be a way to give the fighters a chance to float from one "promotion" to the next without totally messing up their potential with any promotion.

Sooner_Bob
2/13/2008, 07:28 PM
Don't forget about the Live WEC event tonight on Versus . . . and Versus HD.

Starts at 8:00 pm CST.

usmc-sooner
2/13/2008, 07:48 PM
where do you guys watch all this stuff all I ever see on TV is UFC. I like the UFC but I'd like to watch some of these other guys.

Sooner_Bob
2/13/2008, 08:04 PM
You're out of luck if you don't get the Versus channel . . .

KC//CRIMSON
2/13/2008, 08:06 PM
We get Versus with basic cable. UFC on Spike. Pride on Fox Sports Midwest.

critical_phil
2/13/2008, 09:37 PM
Don't forget about the Live WEC event tonight on Versus . . . and Versus HD.

Starts at 8:00 pm CST.

DOH!

are they replaying it on the overnight?

Sooner_Bob
2/13/2008, 09:42 PM
Yep . . . @ 11:30

stoops the eternal pimp
2/16/2008, 08:17 PM
anybody watching the elitexc on showtime tonight? I m in

critical_phil
2/16/2008, 09:14 PM
Yep . . . @ 11:30

yeah, i DVR'd it and watched it this a.m.

those 35 pounders were getting after it. and it was good to see razor rob get beat. i don't like that dude.

Sooner_Bob
2/16/2008, 09:18 PM
I started the WEC event that night, but had to finish it this morning as well. Rob got spanked.

And yes I'll be watching Tank and Kimbo tonight. :D

KC//CRIMSON
2/16/2008, 10:14 PM
nm.

usmc-sooner
2/16/2008, 10:51 PM
nm

KC//CRIMSON
2/16/2008, 10:56 PM
nm.

Scott D
2/16/2008, 11:28 PM
stuff about mma on a website with clicky info

KEYLOGGER!!!!!@#!@#!!!!!!!11!!! :D

KC//CRIMSON
2/16/2008, 11:33 PM
This Ricco vs Silva fight is boring as hell.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/17/2008, 09:29 AM
I was a little surprised with the first fight. Rogers laid the smack on Thompson pretty quick..

Noke-Smith fight was about as dull a first round as I have seen.

Edwards-berto fight was pretty good..

Ditto on the Ricco R-Silva fight..Ricco is built like I am and had no business going the distance..

Kimbo-Tank fight...Please Tank no more..Get a job and do something else...

KC//CRIMSON
2/17/2008, 05:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_LIybiVWCY

That lasted about five seconds longer than I thought it would.

Okay Dumbo, let's see you fight some real competition now.

Beating up Hobos isn't impressive anymore.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/17/2008, 05:40 PM
Thats the first time I ve watched a MMA that 2 fighters apologized for puttin on a crappy show.

critical_phil
2/17/2008, 09:50 PM
heh. sherman or septic?

septic it is.

Sooner_Bob
2/18/2008, 03:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_LIybiVWCY

That lasted about five seconds longer than I thought it would.

Okay Dumbo, let's see you fight some real competition now.

Beating up Hobos isn't impressive anymore.

I honestly thought Tank had a chance . . . last time I think that. I hope he got paid nicely for "tanking" like he did.

Gah.

Sooner_Bob
2/18/2008, 03:36 PM
I was a little surprised with the first fight. Rogers laid the smack on Thompson pretty quick..

The Colossus is huge, but can't take a punch to save his life . . . I'm still stunned that he beat The Predator.

Collier11
2/18/2008, 05:37 PM
For those of you interested, Kimbo Slice is now 2-0 in the MMA and knocked out Tank Abbott in his most recent fight about 1 minute into the fight.

If you dont know about Kimbo, he is a legendary street fighter on youtube that just recently started fighting professionally based off of his street cred, here is the Abbott fight

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NK68PADfVpY

stoops the eternal pimp
2/18/2008, 07:11 PM
Let's get him in there with a legit MMA fighter and see what happens..His fights with "Dreads" and "Lil Pokey" or whoever in the backyards are interesting to watch though..They mentioned the possibility of him fighing Ken Shamrock if KS wins his fight in March...KS woulda smoked him about 10 years ago..Have not seen him lately so who knows

Collier11
2/18/2008, 07:58 PM
Yea it would be nice to see what happens if someone got him on the ground...

FWIW, I searched for any other Kimbo threads and didnt find one, but my search button hasnt worked right in quite a while so...?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/18/2008, 09:23 PM
I brought him up in a thread a while back because I saw him on TV but hadnt heard of him..He s a youtube king

Collier11
2/18/2008, 10:01 PM
thanks for merging these

Boarder
2/21/2008, 10:18 AM
I watched that replay last night with Kimbo/Tank. I realize fully what Tank is now but I'm serious, Kimbo is the scariest person I have ever seen. Can you imagine meeting that dude in a Miami alley?

And, I realize let's see what happens to him with a skilled fighter ala Brock Lesner.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2008, 10:24 AM
its his teeth that scare me

Boarder
2/21/2008, 10:31 AM
I don't know, he has the whole skeery package. He said he wanted to fight Tyson. That would be a bloodbath.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2008, 01:55 PM
I would love for them to fight...I think it would do him well to fight those kinds of battles to build him his bank account and legend...be interesting to see if him and ken Shamrock battle before long

ps..SoonerStormChaser is allsome..his greatness is only overshadowed by is intelligence...happy number 4000 sTEP

KC//CRIMSON
2/21/2008, 02:20 PM
Buentello Wants To Fight Kimbo At His 'Taco Shop'

"People want to see it. I think everybody wants to see it. Me and Kimbo should lace up the gloves," said Buentello. "Everybody wants to see it and I think it's time. He's fighting all the guys I've already knocked out and I've already exposed. He needs to get off that buffet line I put out there and come over to my Paul Buentello taco shop and see if we can get to work."

"Everybody asks me `when are you going to fight Kimbo? You should fight that Kimbo guy,'" said the American Kickboxing Academy fighter. "Just give him much respect, he's been training and accomplished a lot in a year or so. He's really putting his hands together, he's really putting his game plan together."

Buentello says he respects Kimbo's growing MMA game and guarantees a slugfest would ensue.

"I give him much respect. He stepped up. He went from street fighting to MMA and everybody thought he couldn't produce, but he's doing it," stated Buentello.

Fighting Tyson now would be pointless. Let him fight some real competition.

KC//CRIMSON
2/21/2008, 02:38 PM
MMA News:

Machida vs Tito is now set for UFC 84.

Werdum vs Vera also set for UFC 85.

Dan Henderson Media Day Interview:

PRIDE middleweight champion Dan Henderson held an open workout on Wednesday at his Team Quest training center in Murrieta.

Henderson has spent six weeks, including the past three weeks in Big Bear, preparing for his showdown against UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva at UFC 82 on March 1 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.

Henderson talked about his thoughts on Silva, moving down to 185 pounds and many other topics.

Here is what Hendo had to say:

On striking with Silva:

"I'm going in there hoping to knock him out. I'm not going to out-slick him on his feet, but I'm definitely going to land the harder shots."

On his wrestling skills vs. Silva's Jiu-Jitsu:

"I'm not nervous about his ground game at all. Wrestling-wise I feel I can put him on the ground whenever I want. Sometimes you can't finish them quite as easy on the ground, so I'm definitely going to stand on my feet with him and striking ... it will be a good mixture of mixed martial arts. It's not going to be just on the feet. It's not going to be just on the ground or in the clinch. It's going to go all over. I'm ready for a 25-minute fight against him. I'm hoping for a 25-second knockout."

On what he expects from the crowd in Columbus, Ohio:

"From what I hear they are pretty rowdy and they are gung-ho on MMA. It's a big wrestling community, so hopefully with my wrestling background it will be a pretty warm welcome. But again, being that they are so energetic over there, it's definitely something that I feed off of in fights. It just gets you a little bit more pumped up when you are out there."

On whether it will be a home-field advantage for him:

"Well, home-country advantage for sure. We'll see. He's fought in Ohio before when he beat up a hometown boy (Rich Franklin). I don't know how well liked he is there. I think most of the fans enjoy the sport and watching the top guys. They might be rooting for somebody but first thing they are rooting for a good fight. I think both of those will be accomplished. It will be a good fight and their home-country boy should win."

On whether he is better at 185 pounds than at 205 pounds:

"I'm the same fighter. My skills don't get better when I cut weight. I enjoyed fighting at 205, just as much as 185. I think for me it doesn't make too big a difference. I don't feel I'm weak at 205. In my mind, it doesn't matter to me. It's just the opponent that I'm fighting is a big challenge and that's what I go for."

On his training camp in Big Bear compared to his previous camp:

"Training camp went really well. I actually went away to Big Bear for three weeks. There were no distractions. That was the main reason of going up there was to get away from everyday duties. With three kids and being here training, there is a lot going on at home. It was good to get away. My wife's been great as far as letting me do that. She doesn't complain at all. It's tough for her to take care of three kids by herself. She understands and supports me."

On his training partners:

"I had quite a few of them (Team Quest teammates) up there. It has varied. Some of them have been going back and forth. But for the most part I've had (Rameau Thierry) Sokoudjou, Brian Harper came up, Krzysztof Soszynski is up there. I had Cyril Diabate, 'The Snake,' and two of his top guys this whole training camp. It will be six weeks total for them."

On this being his first training camp in Big Bear:

"I've never gone to Big Bear for my training camp. I've gone up there in the past, maybe, when Tito (Ortiz) was training up there or some other guys that I've trained with in the past to help them out, but never for my training camp. The biggest reason why I always stay home (at Team Quest in Murrieta) is because I do have more training partners here. Everybody can't always get up there. If I didn't bring in three French guys and some other guys that came in from out of town, maybe, I would have stayed down here. But it's been good having them. I would definitely consider going back up in the future."

On Silva being considered the top MMA fighter pound-for-pound in the world by a number of publications and Web sites:

"I think that's great. I've already said my piece about it. I think he is a tough guy and very skilled but I wouldn't consider him the top pound-for-pound fighter, just because I've seen more of his past than what the U.S. crowd has in the UFC. The guys he's fought in the UFC really compliment his style. I expected him to walk through most of those guys. He's very skilled on his feet. The guys he's fought aren't very good wrestlers."

On UFC president Dana White saying it was like pulling teeth to get Henderson to come down to 185 pounds:

"It wasn't pulling teeth. I already lost my teeth. He couldn't do much of that."

On how it's been cutting to 185

"I haven't started cutting weight, yet. I don't know where I'm at, probably 190-197. I'm probably 12 pounds over. Yesterday I weighed out at 8 pounds over after practice. I haven't started cutting."

On what it was like training with Bob Anderson's JETS wrestling team in San Clemente as a teenager:

"He was my coach in wrestling since the third grade up through two Olympic teams. He's been a big part of my wrestling career. He's a great coach.

"My dad was one of the coaches as well with Bob. Every weekend, well not every weekend, but a lot of weekends we'd come down (from Apple Valley) for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

"Randy (Couture) was a little bit later, but he would come down for two or three weeks at a time from Oregon. When I was little and up through high school is when we would drive down to San Clemente. Once I got into college I was living in Fullerton for a couple of years. I traveled to Europe for half the year for two years straight and made the Olympic team because of that. That was through our club team with Bob."

On who is the top pound-for-pound fighter if it's not Silva:

"After this fight it will be me. But it's hard to say. I would argue against it being Fedor (Emelianenko) because he's a heavyweight. Heavyweights are tough to give that pound-for-pound ranking. He hasn't fought a top heavyweight for a while. So I don't know. It's those guys that have beaten guys a little bit heavier than them and beaten everybody at their weight as well. I would argue that Matt Lindland should be in there as well. He's gone up in weight and done well. There are a lot of guys. (Georges) St. Pierre is right up there and B.J. Penn."

On the new DREAM promotion in Japan which was put together by Fight Entertainment Group and former PRIDE staffers:

"I think there are two promotions starting. There's DREAM and World Victory Road. I think it's great for the sport. I think a lot of fans miss having PRIDE and that production, not necessarily the fighters and they fights they put on. There are top fighters in most of the organizations now, but the production is what I miss most. It will be good to watch that just as a fan now. I'm in the UFC for a while."

On the possibility of competing in DREAM's Middleweight Grand Prix:

"I won't be fighting in it unless the UFC sends me over. I think that's good for the sport. It gives fighters another avenue to go out there and make some money and make a name for themselves. It's tough with so many fighters and only one big organization in the world.

"I'm not overly fond of fighting in tournaments anymore. I've been there and done that. My first nine fights were tournaments and multiple fights in a night. A lot of the fights in my career have been tournaments. I'm not fond of those. I'd rather focus on one guy, especially at the point of my career where I am right now. It enables me to really focus on that one opponent. When you fight multiple times in one night, you are not able to be specific to an opponent when you are training. There is a greater chance of losing a fight that way. I've got a little bit more to lose than I did in the past. We'll see. It's not necessarily about that. It's about fighting twice in one night that I'm not fond of."

On life in the UFC:

"It's been great. I've got no complaints whatsoever. They've been great to me. I've always had a good relationship with Dana White as well in the past, so this is the firstt time having to do business and deal with him and I've got no complaints and nothing bad to say."

On Randy Couture being sued by the UFC to keep him from cornering his fighters at the IFL event on Feb. 29 and whether the UFC has told him that he's not allowed to corner fighters in different promotions:

"No. But I don't know the language of Randy's contract either. That's his employment contract, that's not his fight contract. I don't know what that states. It's ridiculous that they are trying to stop him from cornering. I think it's a little bit more than just that. That his name, Xtreme Couture, is on their team names and fighting in another promotion. I think that's what they are concerned with more than him being there to coach. But we'll see. I don't know. I haven't followed that too much.

"It (cornering fighters in other promotions) has never been an issue. I've never been told not to (by the UFC), and I've never had a problem with that."

On the PRIDE vs. UFC argument:

"The consensus now is that the PRIDE guys aren't doing so well in the UFC, but in my opinion my last fight with Quinton Jackson was two PRIDE guys fighting for the title. Anderson came from PRIDE. Obvioulsy, he's improved a little bit since then. (Antonio Rodrigo) Nogueira has the interim title now. I think there is a little pride with that, but for me it's about myself and my team. That's it. I'm not going to win for a company that went belly up. I'm just going to do the best that I can out there for me and my team and my fans."

On the fight he would put together as a fan if he could pick any two fighters in the world:

"This one right here. I don't know. I mean, right now, this is the only one on the horizon that has that. I would like to see ... I would have liked to see Wanderlei (Silva) against Quinton Jackson in the UFC. Quinton lost in PRIDE, but it would be different here. But that probably won;t happen now that he (Wanderlei) lost to Chuck."

Sooner_Bob
2/21/2008, 05:15 PM
I have a feeling Hendo will surprise some folks in this fight . . .

KC//CRIMSON
2/22/2008, 02:07 PM
Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic Vows Return to the UFC

Although the recent news that Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic had been released from his UFC contract at first appeared to be a case of the UFC cutting its losses, the Croatian heavyweight vows that he’ll return to the organization.

Last week the upstart DREAM promotion, which was created by former PRIDE staffers and the MMA division of FEG’s K-1, announced that Filipovic had been released from the remaining three fights of his UFC contract and had signed with them. The UFC reportedly wanted Filipovic to restructure his lucrative deal (he was paid $350,000 for his debut at UFC 67) but ultimately allowed him to walk. Both sides maintain that the split was amicable.

After a successful career in PRIDE, Filipovic signed with the UFC and defeated Eddie Sanchez but then suffered upsets to Gabriel Gonzaga and Cheick Kongo. He stated that his decision to leave before a fourth fight took place in the UFC was partially because he was ready to fight now — but the UFC couldn’t schedule him for a bout anytime before May.

“I have already mentioned that I will take part in three fights for DREAM and that then I will return to the UFC,” Filipovic told the website javno.com. “And to all Internet know-it-alls, I say to put gloves on and to enter the ring or the cage themselves before insulting (any) fighter. I repeat, I am not avoiding the UFC, and will come back by the end of the year.“

Although Filipovic expects to go 3-0 before returning to the UFC, at least one opponent could present a problem: Fedor Emelianenko. Filipovic says he wants to fight the highly ranked Russian before returning to the UFC.

The two fighters met once before — at PRIDE Final Conflict 2005 — and Emelianenlo scored a unanimous-decision victory to snap Filipovic’s seven-fight win streak.

Although there’s been no official announcement about the fight, Emelianenko is signed to a non-exclusive deal with M-1 Global, and the organization at least initially seems open to the idea of allowing him to compete in DREAM — possibly in a co-promoted show.

Regardless, Filipovic says he just wants to get back on the winning track and redeem himself in the UFC.

“For the last two years I’ve been in some kind of mental blockade,” Filipovic said. “I was empty before fights, depressed, I hated myself.

“I’m sorry to have disappointed my English fans who welcomed me like a king. That’s why I want to come out in front of them again. I can’t turn back time, but my time will come again.

I'm thinking this is a real bad idea. He wants to go fight in Dream to get back on track and get his mental game back, but at the same time fight Fedor? If he were to fight Fedor and get crushed he would never get his mental game back let alone ever return to the UFC.

I say fight your three fights in Dream, come back to the UFC and actually beat some quality fighters and then go take on Fedor.

Thanks,

Internet know-it-all:D

Sooner_Bob
2/22/2008, 02:13 PM
Heh . . . Before they go to sleep, Internet Know-It-Alls look under their bed for CroCop.

I hope he does well with Dream . . . I'd like to see him fight Fedor again, but definitely think he needs to get some confidence back before he does that.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2008, 06:30 PM
I dvr'd HDNET fights with Bob Sapp vs the Giant...looking forward to watching it:

And I didnt know it would go over 3 hours and the DVR cut off right after the Maurice Smith fight...

KC//CRIMSON
2/26/2008, 08:44 PM
Rampage visits the Marines. Gotta love Rampage.

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/rampage/video/x3zttr_rampage-jackson-visits-marines-at-c_sport

Sooner_Bob
2/26/2008, 09:58 PM
I dvr'd HDNET fights with Bob Sapp vs the Giant...looking forward to watching it:

And I didnt know it would go over 3 hours and the DVR cut off right after the Maurice Smith fight...

I guess I'm gonna hafta go find that some where . . .

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2008, 03:03 PM
Its funny because this the only thing the wife will watch with me is MMA..SHe was more mad than I was that we missed the main event..I DVRd the fast and furious finishes and we watched it last night..

Sooner_Bob
2/28/2008, 03:17 PM
I've got it on my computer at the house and may try to watch it tonight.

supabuff
2/29/2008, 10:56 AM
I can not wait to watch dan henderson face off against the spider.

Sooner_Bob
2/29/2008, 01:29 PM
I watched the Strikeforce event last night. I'll give it a solid meh . . . it was good to see Bob Sapp get KO'd though.

Don't forget about the IFL event on HDNet tonight or tomorrow.

KC//CRIMSON
3/2/2008, 12:19 PM
Silva vs Hendo

http://www.mmalinker.com/index.php?mtype=sv&id=2661&name=Anderson%20Silva

KC//CRIMSON
3/10/2008, 11:22 PM
Chuck Liddell Wants To Fight Fedor Emelianenko

Yet another challenge made to Fedor.....

Chuck Liddell recently conducted an interview with SunSport and during the interview he discussed fighting Fedor, moving up to Heavyweight, and other things:

On fighting Fedor:

"I'd like to fight Fedor because I think he's overrated. He matches up stylistically with me. Fedor's a good ground-and-pound guy, he doesn't have one-punch power from his feet, so it'd be fun to fight him."

"Fedor's someone I want to fight because he's someone I match up well with. He's a ground and pound guy that doesn't have a great shot. He doesn't have a great game plan. I think I could take him. I think I match up well with him. As far as I know he's never knocked anyone out from his feet and I think he'd have a hard time taking me down."

On moving to Heavyweight:

"A move to heavyweight is a possibility for me. If I'm done with everything at light heavyweight I might move up. The top guys up there aren't all that big heavyweights. Randy was but I knocked him out twice."

NyQuil is a helluva drug!!

stoops the eternal pimp
3/11/2008, 12:38 AM
oh chuck

Sooner_Bob
3/11/2008, 07:16 AM
I heard that about Chuck . . . needless to say I'm a little surprised by it.

Anyone watch Buzz KO Ken Shamrock the other night?

Sooner_Bob
3/11/2008, 07:17 AM
Silva vs Hendo

http://www.mmalinker.com/index.php?mtype=sv&id=2661&name=Anderson%20Silva

Hendo didn't look at all like himself in that fight. Its amazing how Anderson can take guys out of their comfort zone.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/11/2008, 08:22 AM
I heard that about Chuck . . . needless to say I'm a little surprised by it.

Anyone watch Buzz KO Ken Shamrock the other night?

Yeah....And that pretty much kills the Kimbo-Shamrock fight

tbl
3/11/2008, 10:06 AM
Poor Ken... I wish he had hung up the gloves after the first Tito loss.

Sooner_Bob
3/15/2008, 09:38 PM
The Xtreme Fighting League out of Tulsa is coming on NOW on HDNet.

dw17
3/31/2008, 12:08 PM
Anyone catch the Elite XC on Showtime this weekend? Pretty cool. The fight between Shamrock and Kung Le was nice. If he wouldn't have gotten a broken arm I think Shamrock would have gotten him.

Wayne Cole won the second bout with a submission. I know him personally, he's from Norman. He did much better last night than the last time I saw him on the UFL.

KC//CRIMSON
4/9/2008, 11:19 AM
Fedor Emelianenko Vs. Tim Sylvia Being Discussed For June

A proposed contest between Fedor Emelianenko and Tim Sylvia is currently in discussions according to a source close to the negotiations. Though our source informed us that this fight is a "solid possibility" it should be noted that it is far from a done deal and would require further negotiations if a basic agreement is reached. There are also other names in the works for both fighters should this fight fail to materialize.

The fight, however, if officially agreed to, will be held in Chicago this June under the newly formed Adrenaline MMA banner. The card is also set to feature Jeff Monson taking on Mike Russow in a heavyweight showdown.

Former UFC champion Tim Sylvia was recently released from his UFC contract and has since signed with Adrenaline MMA; which coincidently employs his agent,Cox as CEO of the company. The promotion has also signed Ben Rothwell and Eddie Alverez as the company looks to begin stockpiling talent as they move towards their inaugural event to be held on June 14th.

KC//CRIMSON
4/19/2008, 01:19 PM
Fedor vs Sylvia - Confirmed

Fedor Emelianenko announced on Friday via his personal website that he has officially signed to fight Tim Sylvia on July 19 in the United States. MMAWeekly.com has since confirmed the bout with independent sources.

The announcement did not mention a specific show, but previous sources have indicated that it will be a promotion headed by clothing giant Affliction.

The news on his website also stated that Fedor has signed on for two more fights to take place later this year in October and December, although no particular opponent or organization was named for either fight.

The fight in December is set to take place in Japan on one of the New Year’s Eve shows, as Fedor plans on celebrating his sixth year in a row overseas.

This will be Fedor’s first fight since submitting Hong Man Choi at the Yarennoka event in Japan on New Year’s Even 2007, while Sylvia will face his first challenge since exiting the Ultimate Fighting Championship after being its champion on two separate occasions.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6112&zoneid=13

Cyborg by submission, first round.:cool:

tbl
4/24/2008, 08:31 AM
Its about time he fought somebody worthwhile, though I personally can't stand Sylvia. In a way I hope Fedor destroys him, but in another I wouldn't mind the legend getting beat.

Bye bye Couture/Fedor. Thanks Dana!

KC//CRIMSON
4/28/2008, 08:37 PM
Bye bye Couture/Fedor.

I'd bet it's going to happen this year. Sometime in the fall.

Sooner_Bob
4/29/2008, 07:20 AM
Anyone watch DREAM 2 yet?

Hopefully I'll be checking it out later . . . :)

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2008, 09:54 AM
Hadn't watched it yet but I will soon....I ve been watching a lot of elite xc reruns the last few weeks

Sooner_Bob
4/29/2008, 10:41 AM
Anyone catch the Elite XC on Showtime this weekend? Pretty cool. The fight between Shamrock and Kung Le was nice. If he wouldn't have gotten a broken arm I think Shamrock would have gotten him.

Wayne Cole won the second bout with a submission. I know him personally, he's from Norman. He did much better last night than the last time I saw him on the UFL.

There's been some controversy about Wayne . . . did he actually wrassle at OU?

KC//CRIMSON
4/29/2008, 07:44 PM
Anyone watch DREAM 2 yet?

Hopefully I'll be checking it out later . . . :)

I think their Middleweight Grand Prix starts today?:cool:

KC//CRIMSON
5/24/2008, 10:10 PM
UFC 84

Now playing: http://www.channelsurfing.net/

KC//CRIMSON
5/24/2008, 10:49 PM
Hello Axe Murderer!

good to have you back!

Wow!

SoonerBBall
5/24/2008, 11:55 PM
BJ Penn, bitches! That is what I'm talking about!

Boomer.....
5/26/2008, 11:20 AM
Machida is about the most boring fighter ever! Smart, but boring.

SoonerBBall
5/26/2008, 02:53 PM
Machida is about the most boring fighter ever! Smart, but boring.

I never understood this. Machida's style is much like Chuck's. They are both counter-strikers. Tito could have made the match exciting by attcking and trying to take Machida down more, but he played Lyoto's game and got beat badly for it.

Sooner_Bob
5/27/2008, 11:18 AM
I never understood this. Machida's style is much like Chuck's. They are both counter-strikers. Tito could have made the match exciting by attcking and trying to take Machida down more, but he played Lyoto's game and got beat badly for it.

What? Lyoto IMO is not a counter striker. He only engages on his terms and when he initiates it.

It's hard to attack a guy who continually back peddles to keep from engaging. Machida is a technical fighter, but outside of the takedown at the end of the 1st and the knee to the liver I can't see how he won 30-27.

Sooner_Bob
5/27/2008, 11:20 AM
Hello Axe Murderer!

good to have you back!

Wow!

That was awesome . . . now just don't go saying he deserves a title shot just yet. I want to see him fight Rampage again too, but I think Wandy needs at least one more win to get a title shot.

Wandy vs. Machida anyone?

Sooner_Bob
5/27/2008, 11:20 AM
I think their Middleweight Grand Prix starts today?:cool:

Did you see Alvarez vs. Hansen? That should've been the finals. :D

SoonerBBall
5/27/2008, 12:06 PM
What? Lyoto IMO is not a counter striker. He only engages on his terms and when he initiates it.

It's hard to attack a guy who continually back peddles to keep from engaging. Machida is a technical fighter, but outside of the takedown at the end of the 1st and the knee to the liver I can't see how he won 30-27.

I agree, counter-striker is a bad term for him. His style is a lot of counter-attacking, though. He does a lot of waiting for his opponent to move in and make a mistake and then exploits it. I think his overall strategy is a lot like Chucks, but while Chuck just punches, Lyoto uses punches, kicks, knees, throws, or whatever else would be most advantageous in the current situation.

Sooner_Bob
5/28/2008, 07:55 AM
I agree, counter-striker is a bad term for him. His style is a lot of counter-attacking, though. He does a lot of waiting for his opponent to move in and make a mistake and then exploits it. I think his overall strategy is a lot like Chucks, but while Chuck just punches, Lyoto uses punches, kicks, knees, throws, or whatever else would be most advantageous in the current situation.

True . . . a Chuck vs. Lyoto fight would probably be a snooze fest IMO.

Well, until that one punch that puts one or the other on their back. :D

KC//CRIMSON
5/28/2008, 08:26 PM
That was awesome . . . now just don't go saying he deserves a title shot just yet. I want to see him fight Rampage again too, but I think Wandy needs at least one more win to get a title shot.

Wandy vs. Machida anyone?

He needs at least another two fights before sniffing a title shot. Not sure who just yet.

Still would like to see Machida fight a top notch 205er just to see how good he really is. Maybe against Rampage or Chuck. Soko/Tito wasn't a good measuring stick for that, imo.

Boomer.....
5/29/2008, 07:22 AM
Who's getting pumped up for Faber vs. Pulver?

For those that don't know it is on this weekend for free on Verses.

tbl
5/29/2008, 04:32 PM
Silva needs to fight Shogun and rematch Liddell. If he beats them, then comes Rampage (assuming Forrest doesn't beat Rampage, which I don't believe he will). It'd be great to see the Rampage of today fight the Silva of today. I think Rampage might finally get his revenge.

Penn taking on Huerta or Florian will be a good fight, but I'm ready for him to move back to WW and have another go at GSP.

tbl
5/29/2008, 04:33 PM
Who's getting pumped up for Faber vs. Pulver?

For those that don't know it is on this weekend for free on Verses.

Assuming Vs is part of your package, which unfortunately for me it is not. :(

KC//CRIMSON
5/29/2008, 05:12 PM
Silva needs to fight Shogun and rematch Liddell. If he beats them, then comes Rampage (assuming Forrest doesn't beat Rampage, which I don't believe he will). It'd be great to see the Rampage of today fight the Silva of today. I think Rampage might finally get his revenge.

Penn taking on Huerta or Florian will be a good fight, but I'm ready for him to move back to WW and have another go at GSP.

Silva and Shogun have made a pact and will never fight each other.

Shogun needs to get over his injury and come back and work his way up again. I still think something was up when he fought Forrest. Not to take anything away from Forrest, but I have never seen Shogun so out of it in the ring or get so handled so easily.

It would be interesting to see if the Rampage of now could come back and beat both Silva and Shogun. They both pretty much handed his *ss to him back in the day not too long ago.

I'd like to see Silva move down and fight Anderson Silva. That would be a good match. Even Anderson Silva vs GSP would be a good match.

http://i31.tinypic.com/29z5sg4.jpg

Axe Murderer!

Sooner_Bob
5/29/2008, 05:55 PM
He needs at least another two fights before sniffing a title shot. Not sure who just yet.

Still would like to see Machida fight a top notch 205er just to see how good he really is. Maybe against Rampage or Chuck. Soko/Tito wasn't a good measuring stick for that, imo.

I can't stand watching Machida fight . . . his style may be "smart" and "elusive" but sheesh, he went backwards more than forwards on Saturday.

I don't care who he fights, I just want them to finally add a L to his record. The Machida hype is just about as annoying as the Kimbo hype.

Boomer.....
5/30/2008, 11:25 AM
Kimbo not the face of MMA

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

Kimbo Slice, a one-time homeless man, one-time strip club bouncer, one-time backyard, back-alley brawler turned Internet sensation/big money mixed martial artist isn’t a problem. Only in America, right?

He’s said to be a great guy, a boot-strap success story who deserves everything coming to him. I’ve watched him maul “Adryan” a half dozen times alone. You have, or will, too.

Kimbo Slice being a street fighter, rather than a Brazilian jiu-jitsu or Muay Thai master, isn’t a problem either.

No, he isn’t the best and brightest in MMA. He’d probably get whipped in a second by the sport’s elite, as Tito Ortiz predicted. The beauty of the MMA, though, is you bring what you’ve got to the cage. Kimbo has those iron fists. Maybe it’s enough. Maybe it isn’t. We’d all like to find out. The day an old-school scrapper doesn’t have a place here will be a sad one.

And CBS choosing to broadcast an MMA card in prime time Saturday, a historic moment for this once fledgling sport, isn’t a problem.

The sport has taken off in a way few others have – fueled purely by fan interest. It stands in stark contrast to all the network airtime spent on sports propped up on political correctness or obligation. MMA long ago deserved network attention.

Individually, nothing is wrong with a shooting star such as Kimbo Slice fighting on Saturday’s EliteXC card on CBS.

Together, plenty is. In fact, practically everything is.

EliteXC is a desperate promotion that’s hemorrhaging money. It’s willing to sell anything, even a false portrait of its sport, to succeed.

Kimbo is a guy with unexpected and most likely fleeting earning potential; understandably he’s willing to cash in even if it means tomato-can opponents and an image so unfortunately stereotypical.

CBS is so focused on quick television ratings, it will present a cheap trick, lowest common denominator show. This, rather than an introduction to a sport that if treated with respect and patience could grow into a powerful property.

Everyone is using. Everyone is getting used. In the end, what will be left from this experiment?

Will MMA on CBS just be a short-run, freak show discarded by all, left to return to its true roots and better promotions after the circus has left town?

If this is, indeed, the most important card in the history of the sport, wouldn’t it be nice if it actually had some of the best fighters and best representatives of mixed martial arts?

Anderson Silva, B.J. Penn and Georges St. Pierre display what MMA is all about. Not menacing scowls and WWE-like personas, but unreal athletic ability, disciplined training and tremendous intelligence from fighters as multi-skilled as they are fearless.

If one of them were on CBS, it would force America to realize what MMA really is. Kimbo, who taps into our primal instincts, plays to what many think the sport is. Let Kimbo cash every check he can – good for him – but he plays to MMA’s difficult-to-shake reputation as “human cockfighting,” as Sen. John McCain once branded it.

Those days are, or should be, done, of course. Even McCain gives MMA his approval now. That’s mostly because of the work of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), far and away the major league of the sport.

CBS is about to show a minor league event with fancy production values. On the day the sport supposedly goes mainstream, it’s the big network – not the smaller committed outlets – that are playing to the sport’s worst instincts.

The fact the lowly Versus cable network will broadcast a far superior, double main event World Extreme Cagefighting card on Sunday, tells you what CBS thinks of the sport. Quality doesn’t matter. It doesn’t even have the best event of the weekend.

Here’s the troubling difference between rival organizations UFC and EliteXC.

UFC has run the sport understanding that its popularity could be greater than the sum of its parts. EliteXC, especially with its biggest star, appears to be eschewing investment in the long term.

Earlier this year the UFC welcomed former WWE and amateur wrestling star Brock Lesnar, who, in some ways, could be called its Kimbo. Lesnar, a former NCAA wrestling champ, is far more skilled, that isn’t the comparison here. The similarity is that Lesnar arrived with great fanfare and curiosity. Everyone wanted to see what he could really do.

The old way of thinking, the boxing way, would be to match him up against an overwhelmed opponent and cash in on some easy victories as he was brought along slowly.

UFC president Dana White, however, stuck to his league’s core belief that you either prove yourself or you go home. There are no padded records or kid glove scheduling in the UFC. If Lesnar was for real, he would have to prove it. If not, see ya. It’s what fight fans covet. It’s why the UFC has thrived.

In February, White matched Lesnar up against the kind of fighter that could beat him, Frank Mir, an experienced former heavy weight champion and submission expert. The fight was thrilling, Lesnar almost knocked out Mir until Mir’s superior skill earned him a submission.

Lesnar lost. His second fight, against dangerous Heath Herring in August, could leave him 0-2 in the UFC and facing an unsure future. That’s the deal with the UFC. It’s real. So real, White is willing to run one of his biggest stars right out of the game.

Kimbo hasn’t fought anyone nearly as good as Mir or Herring. Who knows if he ever will? EliteXC and CBS are running his career like a boxer, even if trumped up records and mismatch fights have severely damaged that sports’ popularity.

Based on that mentality, you can understand why White was willing to walk away from the CBS exposure that, done properly, would have shot his league into the stratosphere. Obviously, he didn’t feel it was going to be done properly.

Saturday’s card is not set up to show the best of mixed martial arts and introduce America to a sport it would likely embrace.

If CBS was trying to build serious interest in football, it wouldn’t trot out an unproven pro team against a doomed high school squad and call the ensuing blowout the best the game offers.

It’d get the New England Patriots and the New York Giants and let people see the real deal.

But neither the network nor EliteXC are treating the sport or Kimbo Slice as anything but disposable programming. And that’s the problem here.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/31/2008, 11:10 PM
good fights tonight but the last one was screwed up...thompson beat Kimbo's ***

KC//CRIMSON
5/31/2008, 11:29 PM
good fights tonight but the last one was screwed up...thompson beat Kimbo's ***

Good grief. Where did these two get their cardio training? KFC?

It was like watching to drunk elephants trying to **** each other.

Unfortunately, I think the ref made the right call. Thompson was seeing stars.

colleyvillesooner
6/1/2008, 12:28 AM
And Kimbo had about knocked off his Sloth ear.

Scott D
6/1/2008, 12:29 AM
If this is the future of MMA, then I feel safe in the knowledge that it'll be gone within a decade ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
6/1/2008, 08:43 AM
Well I ve watched enough elite XC to know they have stopped a lot of fights for less punishment than when Thompson had Kimbo on the mat repeatedly elbowing his face and Slice was not blocking...I think I m done with XC

Boomer.....
6/1/2008, 01:28 PM
The whole Elite XC experience that the "world" got to see last night was a carnival with all of the rappers, dancers, and announcers. The next to last fight was by far the best, although the girls fight was pretty good also. It seemed to me that too many of the fights were getting called early, but maybe that was because it was on regular tv.

I was hoping Kimbo would lose, but Elite XC would have done anything to avoid that happening. I thought they could have stopped the fight when Kimbo was getting beat down, like STEP said, and I thought it was a bad call to stand them up earlier in the fight when Kimbo was on the bottom also. I didn't agree with the early stoppage because they thought his cauliflower ear had burst. I think they were just looking for any way to get Kimbo the win.

Rhino
6/1/2008, 02:00 PM
MMA fans might still be shrugged shoulders about EliteXC, but - for the market they're going for (pro wrestling) - I think they came out fine. We all know EliteXC is a lower tier of MMA, so we're not expecting much. But for the regular Joe, it was probably a hit. And I'm sure they came out gangbusters in ratings, especially for a Saturday night.

The night was working perfectly for EliteXC: quick knockout, quick knockout, their women's star wins, great fight where the champ retains his belt. Then, if Kimbo lost, it'd all be for not.

Well I ve watched enough elite XC to know they have stopped a lot of fights for less punishment than when Thompson had Kimbo on the mat repeatedly elbowing his face and Slice was not blocking... Exactly.

lexsooner
6/1/2008, 08:56 PM
Kimbo is not ready for the big time. He is a devastating puncher, but quite unrefined. Did anyone notice how poor his balance was at times? He apparently does not know some of the basic defensive techniques in MMA. A world-class MM artist would have had Kimbo in a submission hold ending the fight. If journeyman Thompson was just a little better and able to finish his submission holds, he would have won.

Finally, if I had an ear like Thompson's left one, I would have it amputated. Hopefully the dude made enough money from the fight to get a reconstructed one with cartilage from his ribs.

Boomer.....
6/1/2008, 10:41 PM
There were some good fights in the WEC on Sunday. The two title fights were amazing. Faber is damn impressive!

stoops the eternal pimp
6/2/2008, 12:52 PM

Program Averages 4.3 Million Viewers

Article Tools Sponsored By
By RICHARD SANDOMIR
Published: June 2, 2008

CBS’s broadcast of the Elite XC mixed martial arts program Saturday night — the first on a broadcast network in prime time — generated a preliminary national rating of a 2.7, or an average of 4.3 million viewers. The viewership fell from the 5.9 million CBS generated this season for the crime series that usually run Saturday nights on the network. But the national rating covered the 9 to 11 p.m. Eastern time period and did not include the main event, won by Kimbo Slice over James Thompson. In Nielsen Media’s 54 metered markets, the rating peaked at a 4.7 from 11:30 to 11:45, when Slice fought.

The 9-11 p.m. portion finished first against CBS’s competition in young male and young adult demographics. Still, the 4.3 million viewers who watched the much-hyped Elite XC program fell short of the 5.9 million who watched the Rampage Jackson-Dan Henderson U.F.C. lightweight title fight on the Spike cable channel in September.

r5TPsooner
6/2/2008, 12:54 PM
I was watching him get his *** kicked then he hits a couple of punches and they stop the fight. There is NO doubt whatsoever in my mind that this fight was fixed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-kimbo060108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

StoopTroup
6/2/2008, 12:56 PM
Consider the source when it comes to that article...

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/cn/headshots/dan_wetzel_4.jpg

kbsooner21
6/2/2008, 01:28 PM
He had the other dude knocked silly. His nasty cauliflower ear was burst and he was loopy. It was fixing to get ugly.

NormanPride
6/2/2008, 01:30 PM
I've never understood MMA. I've watched about 10-15 matches, and they've all ended up with one guy on top of another, hugging each other until either the round ends or one passes out. Maybe that excites some people, but it doesn't for me.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/2/2008, 01:35 PM
I've never understood MMA. I've watched about 10-15 matches, and they've all ended up with one guy on top of another, hugging each other until either the round ends or one passes out. Maybe that excites some people, but it doesn't for me.

Dude.

That wasn't MMA.

That was Anal Invaders III: The Search For :chicken:

NormanPride
6/2/2008, 01:40 PM
Could've fooled me.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/2/2008, 01:42 PM
I don't think there's a difference.

StoopTroup
6/2/2008, 01:42 PM
My ear hurts.

_2EaMr5F_o0

Tulsa_Fireman
6/2/2008, 01:45 PM
Weak.

Sauce.

1) Ol' boy should've never been in the ring.

2) Kornrow Splice gets pwned in the UFC.

StoopTroup
6/2/2008, 01:45 PM
They stopped the fight to early.

Of course...I think all of these should be to the death. :D ;)

Fraggle145
6/2/2008, 01:50 PM
2) Kornrow Splice gets pwned in the UFC.

yep.

SoonerAcesUp
6/2/2008, 01:52 PM
They definitely ended that fight too soon. Thompson had taken a few punches just like that earlier and had Kimbo down beating on him not long after. Kimbo has one hell of a punch but he's in big trouble if someone gets him to the ground. Thompson wore him out. Kimbo is too small to fight the bigger heavyweights. I'd like to see him fight Brett Rogers (1st fight of the night). Kimbo has a lot to learn about MMA. It's not all about street-brawling.

Boomer.....
6/2/2008, 02:00 PM
Elite XC was doing everything in their power to let Kimbo win. It was a complete joke.

JohnnyMack
6/2/2008, 02:21 PM
Meh.

Meh on that fight getting stopped early.

Meh on MMA, UFC whatever the hell it is.

Meh on the whole damn thing.

kbsooner21
6/2/2008, 02:23 PM
Kimbo is green when it comes to MMA. Let's not forget that. His strength was amazing to me because the first time Thompson got him on the ground I figured he'd be done. I was pretty impressed with how quickly he has adapted to it, as I expected someone with little ground work to get beat pretty easily by someone who could take him to the ground. I don't think it's any secret that Elite XC wanted him to win, but if they let that fight go another minute, Thompson could be in a coma right now imo.

Cam
6/2/2008, 08:40 PM
I don't know that it was stopped too early. Dude's ear was about to come off of his freaking head. If he would've taken another shot to the ear, it was gone.

All in all, it was a pretty lame fight.

Big Red Ron
6/2/2008, 09:00 PM
So, he won? I turned it after watching him get his *** whooped for two rounds. He was getting killed.

Seriously, he won?

Cam
6/2/2008, 09:10 PM
So, he won? I turned it after watching him get his *** whooped for two rounds. He was getting killed.

Seriously, he won?

Yeah, dude's ear was flappin in the wind and bleeding everywhere. Kimbo did get in some pretty good shots at the end that staggered the other guy.

Big Red Ron
6/2/2008, 10:28 PM
Kimbo wouldn't last a round with the top 10 UFC fighters. Except maybe if he landed a lucky knockout punch early.

Curly Bill
6/2/2008, 11:02 PM
Kimbo wouldn't last a round with the top 10 UFC fighters. Except maybe if he landed a lucky knockout punch early.

Couldn't agree more...

...and how slow was his punches? Yeah the dude is strong as a bull, but for him to knock out anyone of quality it sure as hell would be luck.

SoonerBBall
6/3/2008, 06:37 AM
At least the UFC makes its newcomers earn their way. Everytime I hear people say "They are bringing him along slowly, like a boxer" I cringe. Boxing is a boring, scripted, corrupted mess nowadays and I want MMA to stay as far away from boxing as possible. Kimbo is Tank Abbot but younger and in better shape. We were told he was working his ground game only to see him get severely owned on the ground by a brawler who has lost 7 of his last 9 fights. That fight was just bad and CBS should be ashamed of that crap when the very next night the WEC put on the most epic featherweight battle to date.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/3/2008, 08:20 AM
Look at the way Lesnar has been treated by UFC...Basically same deal...well known guy coming in...big...intimidating...but UFC didn't throw him any washed up fighters or guys with trick exploding ears...and the guy already has a loss but its not that big of a deal because UFC isn't hanging their whole promotion on his back....

BTW, IMO Lesnar would pwn Kevin Ferguson or Kimbo or whatever you wanna call him at this point

KC//CRIMSON
6/3/2008, 01:23 PM
Protect your "Meal Ticket" at all cost.

http://mmamania.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/elitexc-kimbo-judgescard.jpg

It seemed — whether it was by coincidence or not — that everybody was doing their part to make sure that Kimbo Slice defeated James Thompson at Elite XC: “Primetime” at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. on May 31.

However, the judge in question should have picked a less decisive round to do it — Kimbo took 71 consecutive unanswered blows starting from 1:20 until the end of round two.

To check out the video of Kimbo “winning” round two click here.

Conspiracy theorists … conspire.

Keep in mind that Elite XC does not hire judges nor appoint them to score certain fights. That’s the responsibility of the state athletic commission, which is its own entity and completely separate from Elite XC or any other promotion for that matter.

http://mmamania.com/2008/06/02/eye-of-the-beholder-10-9-for-kimbo-in-second-round/

Cam
6/3/2008, 03:21 PM

I agree. Even if he can take a punch, his balance sucks. My money would be on him getting choked out. He is one strong mofo tho. It could possibly save him, but I wouldn't put any $$$ on him.

Bone
6/5/2008, 01:03 PM
Elite XC was doing everything in their power to let Kimbo win. It was a complete joke.

I agree. I'd jump on a conspiracy bandwagon for this one.

Cam
6/5/2008, 07:59 PM
Anybody else see the Faber v. Pulver matchup? Damn entertaining fight.

Big Red Ron
6/5/2008, 08:06 PM
nope, who won?

KC//CRIMSON
6/5/2008, 08:58 PM

Yep. Best fight of the weekend by far. Both of those guys are unbelievable.

Cam
6/5/2008, 09:01 PM
Yep. Best fight of the weekend by far. Both of those guys are unbelievable.

Didn't BJ Penn beat Pulver like a mule? Faber's pretty impressive, but I've got to think that Penn would KO him.

Big Red Ron
6/5/2008, 09:04 PM
Didn't BJ Penn beat Pulver like a mule? Faber's pretty impressive, but I've got to think that Penn would KO him.I'm pretty sure, Pulver has beaten Penn. KC's on my ignore list, did Faber win?

Cam
6/5/2008, 09:08 PM
I'm pretty sure, Pulver has beaten Penn. KC's on my ignore list, did Faber win?

Faber won decision in 5.

Pulver and Penn are 1-1 against each other.

Big Red Ron
6/5/2008, 09:11 PM
That sucks. Something about little evil I like. Dude's pretty tough. I'll try and find it online and watch it. Thanks for the heads up.

Cam
6/5/2008, 09:14 PM
Faber won every round. Pulver got in some good shots, but Faber just worked him over. Dude just doesn't quit. Never saw him fight before and came away pretty impressed.

Big Red Ron
6/5/2008, 09:20 PM
That's cool, I respect talent. Is he a wrestler, Ju Jitsu, stiker or kickboxer by trade?

Cam
6/5/2008, 09:32 PM
Wrestler by trade, but apparently has quite a few submissions to his credit.

Excellent submissions, strong takedowns, and lighting-fast hand speed

Bone
6/5/2008, 10:06 PM
UFC this weekend. Not a great card, but I'd like to see Matt Hughes get beat again.

Boomer.....
6/6/2008, 08:36 AM
Faber is becoming my favorite MMA fighter. He is amazingly good and there is no competition left for him at 145. The other title fight before the Faber vs Pulver fight was also great.

Bone
6/6/2008, 08:41 AM
Faber is becoming my favorite MMA fighter. He is amazingly good and there is no competition left for him at 145. The other title fight before the Faber vs Pulver fight was also great.

I haven't seen him. Could he move up to 155 in the UFC?

KC//CRIMSON
6/6/2008, 07:35 PM
UFC this weekend. Not a great card, but I'd like to see Matt Hughes get beat again.

Snoozefest of a card and Alves just screwed himself by coming in overweight. They'll fight a catchweight and Alves will probably lose some money for having to do so.

Bring on UFC 86!

Run Forrest Run!

r5TPsooner
6/7/2008, 08:58 AM
Ken Shamrock looks washed up.

KC//CRIMSON
6/7/2008, 05:57 PM
UFC 85 Matt Hughes vs. Thiago Alves

Country boy gets his schizt wrecked!

http://www.boxlinker.com/xViewer.php?vidid=313&vidt=i

SoonerBBall
6/7/2008, 06:45 PM
How impressive was Winman tonight? He looked world-class and really took it to Tavares.

SoonerBBall
6/7/2008, 06:53 PM
Bring on UFC 86!

Run Forrest Run!

Same thing everyone said for Forrest/Shogun, and Forrest wrecked Shogun's **** in every way. *cue everyone saying that Shogun was injured/overlooked Forrest/was focused more on getting married/etc*

Rampage and Forrest are two of my favorites, but I want Forrest to win the fight and I don't think he will. His best shot is to take it to the ground, but I don't know if that is even possible against Rampage. If he can, I really like his chances. If they stand up the whole time, it will be Rampage all the way. If Rampage takes this fight lightly, though, he is going to get wrecked.

tbl
6/7/2008, 07:38 PM
So this chump can't make weight, then he has the audacity to beg Dana White for a title shot???? If I were Dana, I'd have stood up and given him some patented Dana cussing, right then and there. I mean seriously dude... you get caught fairly recently using a banned substance (used to help cut weight), then you have the biggest fight of your career and you can't lose four stinking pounds?

I have zero respect for fighters that don't make weight. Zero. It's almost up there with using steroids, and I'm being serious. If you can't make weight, then by gosh go up a weight class or become a trainer... and that's an insult to trainers b/c those guys have discipline.

tbl
6/7/2008, 07:40 PM
BTW, UFC is coming to Atlanta in September. Flippin A.... I'm pumped! I'm hoping like crazy they do it at Philips Arena. I work for a Philips Lighting distributor and I've already sent an email to my rep requesting tickets to the suite. If not the suite, I'll take what I can get.

Rumor is it will be the Icemans return to the Octagon...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AngYpR6mBiZ6ZICrf291tPc9Eo14?slug=ys-mmaweekufc060608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

KC//CRIMSON
6/9/2008, 07:07 PM
Anderson Silva May Move Up To Light Heavyweight, Fight Liddell At UFC 88

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (20-4) and the UFC have reportedly held discussions on Silva moving up to the 205-pound light heavyweight division and making his debut at the new weight at UFC 88 on September 6th in Atlanta.

Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer reported the news late yesterday on the heels of UFC President Dana White’s announcement that former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell would headline the fall event.

Here’s a snip from the report:

They hadn’t decided [Chuck Liddell's UFC 88 opponent] as of the weekend but Mauricio Shogun Rua wasn’t to be available until December they thought so he was out. They’ll probably make the call after this weekend’s show. He promised an announcement that will blow people’s minds on Thursday. Don’t necessarily read anything into this as being the announcement, but I do know that they have talked with Anderson Silva about being on the card and fighting at light heavy and he wasn’t opposed to it, but there was nothing agreed to as of last week. He said he’s renting out a place on Thursday to tell his employees so in theory this had better be bigger than that.

Silva debuted in the UFC in mid-2006, defeating Chris Leben via first round knockout at UFC Fight Night 5. The sub-one minute win earned “The Spider” a title shot against champion Rich Franklin and Silva capitalized, claiming the 185-pound title with a dominant first-round TKO victory. After defeating Travis Lutter in a non-title fight after Lutter failed to make weight, Silva has defended his title three times, defeating Nate Marquardt, Franklin, and, most-recent, Dan Henderson at UFC 82 in March. Following his win over Henderson, Silva campaigned for a boxing match against former champion Roy Jones Jr. but White has stated that he would not let such a bout take place.

He remains unbeaten in the UFC, winning all six of his bouts in two rounds or less.

There is speculation that Silva’s move to light heavyweight could be to fight Chuck Liddell in the main event of UFC 88, though nothing has yet been confirmed regarding the potential main event matchup

http://www.mmafrenzy.com/2008/06/07/...ell-at-ufc-88/

Cam
6/9/2008, 07:55 PM
I'll go with Silva based on both of their recent performances.

Boomer.....
6/10/2008, 07:20 AM
I would love to see Chuck get beat again, but with as aggressive as Liddell is, he might catch Silva off guard.

Bone
6/10/2008, 08:00 AM
Silva is so well rounded. I wonder how his speed would be affected by moving up though.

KC//CRIMSON
6/10/2008, 09:19 PM
Silva is so well rounded. I wonder how his speed would be affected by moving up though.

Yep, there in lies the rub.

tbl
6/10/2008, 10:31 PM
Oh my flipping word... as if I wasn't excited enough, you have to go and post this.

Boomer.....
6/11/2008, 07:22 AM
Dana White to Discuss 'New Deal' on CNBC Today
Posted: Tuesday June 10, 2008 11:40AM ET
From UFC.com: Dana White and heavyweight sensation Brock Lesnar will appear live on CNBC's Power Lunch today to announce an exciting new UFC deal. The show airs at 12:40pm ET. Previously, White promised a major announcement to come this Thursday that is going to blow people's minds. Could he be spilling the beans early? And what's Lesnar's role in all this, unless the major deal is somehow WWE-related?

Let's just hope that it has nothing whatsoever to do with the WWE and Vince McMahon.

SoonerBBall
6/11/2008, 09:40 AM
I'm very interested to see how Silva's strength compares to the Lightheavys. He is a killer at middle weight and it seems to me that he has plenty of power to move up, but we won't know until we see it. This is muy exciting.

Rhino
6/11/2008, 11:38 AM
Let's just hope that it has nothing whatsoever to do with the WWE and Vince McMahon. Word is Dana White is buying the UFC from the Fertitta brothers and Vince will have minority ownership.

Bone
6/11/2008, 12:21 PM
Word is Dana White is buying the UFC from the Fertitta brothers and Vince will have minority ownership.

I hope you are kidding. I don't want Vince involved in the UFC in any way.

Boomer.....
6/11/2008, 04:10 PM
White denies Mayweather, TV deal, WWE rumors
Posted by MMAFighting.com 06/10/08—1:03 PM

Featured Story:
No
The UFC's big announcement is still a well-kept secret.

While promoting the UFC's new action figure deal with Jakks Pacific on CNBC's "Powerlunch" Tuesday afternoon, UFC President Dana White denied just about all the major rumors that have been floating around.

1. The UFC is not teaming with Floyd Mayweather Jr., who retired from boxing Friday saying that it has "been extremely difficult for [him] to find the desire and joy to continue in the sport."

2. The UFC has not signed a deal with any network (ESPN, FOX, ABC).

3. The UFC is not going public.

4. And finally, news which will probably be a huge relief for many, the UFC has not sold a stake of the company to the WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment). Rumors started to surface when the WWE alerted the public of a special news conference -- set coincidentally for Thursday -- at the Hard Rock in New York City.

White revealed in an interview last week with ESPN The Magazine that an announcement will be made this Thursday that is "going to blow people's minds." White hyped up the announcement by calling the deal "an indicator of where this business is going over the next five years."

Whew.

I guess we will have to wait until tomorrow for the real news.

Bone
6/11/2008, 04:19 PM
Can't wait for the announcement, whatever it may be.

Rhino
6/11/2008, 04:28 PM
Apparently (http://mmamania.com/2008/06/11/report-ufc-major-announcement-set-for-june-19/), the announcement has been postponed until Tuesday, June 17.

Bone
6/11/2008, 05:02 PM
Apparently (http://mmamania.com/2008/06/11/report-ufc-major-announcement-set-for-june-19/), the announcement has been postponed until Tuesday, June 17.

Watch, the WWE announcement will suddenly be postponed to the same date. :)

SoonerBBall
6/18/2008, 11:05 AM
So you want to see Anderson Silva at LHW?

Done.

Silva vs James Irvin on July 19th. Free on Spike to go up against the Affliction: Banned event.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=13292

Boomer.....
6/18/2008, 11:39 AM
But we wanted Silva to fight Chuck.

Sweet anyways.

KC//CRIMSON
6/18/2008, 03:34 PM
So you want to see Anderson Silva at LHW?

Done.

Silva vs James Irvin on July 19th. Free on Spike to go up against the Affliction: Banned event.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=13292

I'll have to catch the replay. No way I miss seeing Fedor destroy Sylvia.

KC//CRIMSON
6/18/2008, 09:27 PM

Mind Blowing Announcement!

http://mmamania.com/2008/06/18/ufc-announcement-lorenzo-fertitta-to-work-full-time-to-expand-mma-promotion/

KC//CRIMSON
6/18/2008, 09:29 PM
This is HUGE news!

I don't know if I'll be able to get to sleep tonight.

I better start popping some Ambien right now!

Bone
6/18/2008, 09:53 PM
I think I'm gonna have to watch the Fedor fight live and catch the UFC event later.

SoonerBBall
6/20/2008, 09:44 AM
Mind Blowing Announcement!

http://mmamania.com/2008/06/18/ufc-announcement-lorenzo-fertitta-to-work-full-time-to-expand-mma-promotion/

Honestly, that really is a mind blowing announcement. This is the biggest thing to happen for the the UFC probably since the Zuffa brothers bought it.

tbl
6/20/2008, 04:30 PM
I'll be recording UFC on the DVR and watching Affliction at Buffaloes...

tbl
6/22/2008, 06:46 PM
Did nobody else watch the TUF finale last night? There were some pretty good fights. I know Diego Sanchez is bat nuts crazy, but that was one heck of a performance he put on.

Rhino
6/22/2008, 11:26 PM
Sanchez looked good. Grove had a good showing, but Tanner is old and slow. I don't get how that was a split decision. And those one-legged knees from Grove were hellacious.

Didn't get to see much of Sadollah due to the early submission, but Dolloway has a long way to go before he's a UFC-level fighter. I hope Sadollah just gets better and better and better.

Boomer.....
6/23/2008, 07:46 AM
I think Diego is back. He has looked very good the last two fights. There was no way that the Grove vs. Tanner was a split decision. It was amazing that Tanner lasted the entire fight though.

Amir surprised the hell out of me during TUF. He beat almost all of the top fighters including CB twice. I was not a big CB fan, probably just his attitude. Matt Brown is so disappointing during fights. I figured he would have done much better. He did although win on Saturday night with a TKO in the second round against Matt Arroyo.

Boomer.....
6/23/2008, 07:49 AM
I thought that most of the fighters got to fight again during the finale. I guess that's not the case, but there were two other fights between contestants other than the CB vs. Amir fight.

Bone
6/23/2008, 08:18 AM
Amir is one of the coolest fighters in the UFC.

Diego is crazy. His fights are always intense.

Tanner needs to give it up.

CB's lip needs to get knocked off of his face.

tbl
6/23/2008, 08:59 AM
Amir is one of the coolest fighters in the UFC.

Diego is crazy. His fights are always intense.

Tanner needs to give it up.

CB's lip needs to get knocked off of his face.

The only thing I would add is that Kendall Grove is a chump.

KC//CRIMSON
6/23/2008, 11:10 AM
Did nobody else watch the TUF finale last night? There were some pretty good fights. I know Diego Sanchez is bat nuts crazy, but that was one heck of a performance he put on.

Even though he lost the fight, Luigi Fioravanti is one slippery weasel.

Rhino
6/23/2008, 01:32 PM
I thought that most of the fighters got to fight again during the finale. I guess that's not the case, but there were two other fights between contestants other than the CB vs. Amir fight. I heard there was a change in the thinking behind that. I guess the UFC has been disappointed in the other fights involving TUF contestants during the finales.

I can understand wanting to get Riddle on the finale, but Rivera is the most boring fighter in bore-ville. I thought Dana was telling his fighters to make it interesting or GTFO? I understand the mini-rivalry and everything, but c'mon. Maybe it was set-up as a stepping-stone fight for Riddle.

Glad to see they gave Arroyo a rematch with Brown. And that Brown took him down again. Too bad Credeur/Yarborough got scrapped.

Overall, I'm kinda upset that Rivera and Yarborough were even booked for the finale. Credeur, Brown and Riddle - I get. Why not Gerald Harris? Daniel Cramer? Nick Klein?

Boomer.....
6/23/2008, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I don't think that Gerald Harris got to show anything on the show. He was rarely on tv and was one and done on the show. I would have liked to see him fight a little more.

I was very upset that the Credeur vs. Yarborough fight got canceled. I don't understand getting banned for Adderall.

SoonerBBall
6/26/2008, 03:40 PM
UFC in Oklahoma? Dana White thinks so.

Mixed martial arts coming to OKC

By Jenni Carlson
Staff Writer

A major mixed martial arts event will be coming to Oklahoma City soon, according to the president of the Ultimate Fighting Championships.
Dana White (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Dana+White&CATEGORY=PERSON), head of the UFC, said "we're working on bringing a live event there."

White (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Dana+White&CATEGORY=PERSON) said that the event will be sometime in the next six to eight months and would either be on Spike TV (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Spike+TV+Network&CATEGORY=COMPANY) or pay-per-view.
The UFC took notice of Oklahoma City following the ratings of CBS (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=CBS+Corporation&CATEGORY=COMPANY)' primetime mixed martial arts show, CBS (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=CBS+Corporation&CATEGORY=COMPANY) EliteXC Saturday Night Fights (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Elite+Xtreme+Combat&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION). The show was the top-rated TV sports event in the market in the first week of June and Oklahoma City produced the highest rating for all CBS (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=CBS+Corporation&CATEGORY=COMPANY) affiliates with an 11.1 from 10:30 to 10:45 p.m. for the main bout on the mixed martial arts card, Kimbo Slice (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Kimbo+Slice&CATEGORY=PERSON)'s victory over James Thompson (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=James+Thompson&CATEGORY=PERSON).

Cam
6/26/2008, 03:58 PM

I'd be up for that as long as ticket prices aren't astronomical.

Boomer.....
6/26/2008, 04:20 PM
In!

Bone
6/26/2008, 04:56 PM
hell yes

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2008, 05:25 PM

Considering UFC 4 was in Tulsa, it wouldn't be the first time.

SoonerBBall
6/27/2008, 01:02 PM
Considering UFC 4 was in Tulsa, it wouldn't be the first time.

UFCs from that earlier weren't a sport, they were just guys beating on each other. This will be the first time that professional MMA as a sport will be live in Oklahoma.

Also, even if it is $150 - $200 a ticket for decent I think I'll still go, considering if you went out of state to see it live you would be paying ticket price + travel expenses.

KC//CRIMSON
6/27/2008, 06:14 PM
UFCs from that earlier weren't a sport, they were just guys beating on each other. This will be the first time that professional MMA as a sport will be live in Oklahoma.

Also, even if it is $150 - $200 a ticket for decent I think I'll still go, considering if you went out of state to see it live you would be paying ticket price + travel expenses.

Those earlier fights were the real deal. Eight man tournaments, no weight limits, and no referee. Knock out, Tap out, or Choke Out. I would've loved to seen Royce Gracie live. One of the best ever.

Big Red Ron
6/28/2008, 12:58 AM

True, while the early stuff was entertaining (head buts and whatnot), and watching Sumo wrestlers take on Karate guys was pretty funny stuff. It really was a glorified tough man contest.

I'll be octagon side at the Ford Center. :D

tbl
6/28/2008, 02:36 PM
I'd be up for that as long as ticket prices aren't astronomical.

Then you're not up for it...

Cam
6/29/2008, 07:57 PM
Then you're not up for it...

Each persons definition of astronomical are different. Neighbor says he's got a hook up, so it might be nothing more than parking. Have to wait and see on that though.

KC//CRIMSON
7/1/2008, 03:23 PM
UFC 86: FORREST GRIFFIN IS UP TO THE CHALLENGE

Four years ago, Forrest Griffin nearly walked away from mixed martial arts. Despite a 9-2 professional record at the time, he had pretty much decided it was time to forego the low pay, long hours in the gym, and battle scars.

Just then, he got the call to join the cast of the inaugural season of The Ultimate Fighter… and the rest is history. He and Stephan Bonnar made it to the light heavyweight final that season on put on an epic battle that helped to change the course of the entire sport.

That was April 9, 2005. Now, three years and change later, Griffin readies himself to step into the Octagon at UFC 86 at Mandalay Bay to face the greatest challenge of his career. He will attempt to wrest the UFC light heavyweight championship away from fellow Ultimate Fighter Season 7 coach and No. 1 ranked 205-pounder in the world, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson.

He’s not the first Ultimate Fighter alum to get a shot at a title, but that’s not anything that worries the laid back Xtreme Couture fighter. “I was very fortunate with The Ultimate Fighter. A lot of guys have done it now, but I’m glad it took as long as it did,” said Griffin in an exclusive interview with MMAWeekly.com.

Of his transformation from competitor to coach on the television series that helped to launch the current rise in success that mixed martial arts has received, Griffin delivered in his brutally honest style that always makes you wonder if he is dead serious or dripping with sarcasm.

“It’s easier to tell people what to do than do it. But actually I’m a selfish bastard. I care about me primarily. So I’d rather be getting trained than training people,” he said.

“I don’t lead nothing man. If we were all on a deserted island, lost, I would not be Jack.”

In Jackson, Griffin faces a man that is riding an impressive six-fight winning streak, including a title-crowning win over Chuck Liddell and a subsequent five-round defense against former Pride light heavyweight and middleweight champ Dan Henderson.

But Jackson is also a man whose last defeat was a knockout at the hands of former Pride 205-Pound Grand Prix champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua… the same fighter that Griffin defeated last September by submission near the end of the third round. Shogun was widely regarded as the No. 1 light heavyweight in the world at the time.

The win propelled Griffin into the championship challenge of Jackson and landed both the stint as coaches on season seven of The Ultimate Fighter.

Now, it’s crunch time. Yet, despite training non-stop for this chance of a lifetime, Griffin offers little by way of predictions, not even how he sees the fight unfolding. “I don’t care where it goes as long as I win,” he said. Adding, “I’ll tell you one thing, the price of gas will continue to rise.”

According to many insiders, Wanderlei Silva – who also trains at Xtreme Couture and holds two crushing victories over Quinton Jackson while both were fighting for Pride – has been in Griffin’s ear and in his face for the Ultimate Fighter alum’s training camp for this bout. It’s something that Griffin readily confirms and has reaped tremendous confidence from.

“Wanderlei is just an animal… He’s not normal. You work out with him, see him in here; he’s on his own world man. You really got to be a specific guy with a specific skill set and specific cardio to fight like Wanderlei. I can’t emulate his style,” admitted Griffin, not giving any impression that he intends to fight Wanderlei’s fight against the champion.

He does appreciate the opportunity to train with the former Pride champion though. “I love him as a training partner. It’s that unchecked aggression,” said Griffin with a smile on his face.

He has acquired some fight advice from Wanderlei though. “The one thing he said was immediately grab the head and throw the knee instead of trying to set it up and make the perfect… bam! Grab and go, start throwing, don’t sit there and let him think about it.”

That aggressive, in your face style, patented by Wanderlei and Shogun’s former team, Chute Boxe, has been quite successful against Jackson. Over the past several years, Jackson has racked up wins over Liddell, Henderson, Ricardo Arona, Murilo Bustamante, Matt Lindland, and several others. But in his last 15 bouts, only Wanderlei and Shogun have cracked to the code to the current UFC light heavyweight champ.

It’s a promising portent for the typically aggressive Forrest Griffin, but Wanderlei Silva won’t be in the ring with him on Saturday night at UFC 86. It will just be him against the champ; the way Griffin likes it.

KC//CRIMSON
7/1/2008, 03:26 PM
I think this fight between Page and Forrest will be a lot closer than people think.

I'm taking Page in the second by TKO.:cool:

Bone
7/2/2008, 12:45 PM
Dana White says he has found the next Anderson Silva in the new season of TUF
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/56040

Bone
7/2/2008, 12:48 PM
I'm picking Rampage, but I anticipate a great fight.

Boomer.....
7/2/2008, 01:08 PM
Rooting for Griffin, but betting on Rampage. Both fighters are among my favorites in MMA.

Bone
7/2/2008, 01:19 PM
Rooting for Griffin, but betting on Rampage. Both fighters are among my favorites in MMA.

That's a good way to put it. I think the same way.

tbl
7/2/2008, 06:08 PM
Dana White says he has found the next Anderson Silva in the new season of TUF
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/56040

That is a very bold statement, and I'm betting a lot of it is just trying to reel more fans in. I'm sure the guy is good, but come on...

Big Red Ron
7/2/2008, 06:40 PM
I'm taking Forrest, by either knockout or submission in the first.

KC//CRIMSON
7/3/2008, 10:38 AM
Punch, Punch Lines Make Rampage A UFC Star

LAS VEGAS – Quinton “Rampage” Jackson had lost five consecutive matches as a wrestler at Memphis’ Raleigh-Egypt High School when his kid brother, Derrick, presented him with a heavy industrial chain and an idea.

“Hey man,” Derrick told him, “You ought to wear this chain, it might help you in your next fight. It might intimidate your opponent.”

A prefight prop in the ever-serious world of high school wrestling? Seriously?

“He was right, I went undefeated after that,” Rampage laughed. “I brought the chain and I brought the pain. I don’t know what people thought. Not that many people did that.”

Actually, nobody does it. Perhaps not even Rampage, although, perhaps so.

He’s not just the Ultimate Fighting Championships’ light heavyweight champion, he’s its most comical and colorful fighter. You never know what’s true, mostly true, a little true or just too true to believe.

Regardless of its origin, Rampage will wear his chain – a new one, he’s not sure what happen to that old one – Saturday when he enters the octagon to defend his title against Forrest Griffin at a sold out Mandalay Bay Events Center. The sports books have him as the heavy favorite.

He may even wind up wearing the chain in Hollywood if, as rumor has it, he takes the role of another famous chain-wearing badass in succeeding Mr. T as B.A. Baracus in a remake of “The A-Team.”

Whether he gets the part or not – “After this fight, I find out” – America should see a great deal of Rampage in the months to come. He’s the ultimate combination of devastating fighter and oversized fun, perhaps the only man in the world capable of headlining a UFC pay-per-view card and a Vegas comedy show.

“I get nervous in front of a bunch of people,” Jackson said, ending the idea he might try it. “If they boo me I may jump off stage and start kicking ***.”

Jackson conducted a one-minute workout for the media Wednesday and then spent the rest of the hour telling stories, jokes and engaging in put-down sessions with various people. He’d sprinkle in a menacing “I’m going to whip him” comment directed at Griffin, but mostly it was all laughs. He’s as entertaining and down to earth as any athlete in any sport. The guy is great.

That combination of power and personality is what made UFC president Dana White desperate to get Jackson in his organization. Rampage had an exclusive deal with a fledgling promotion, the World Fighting Alliance, though. So White bought the entire company and folded it.

Last spring, he set up Jackson against Chuck Liddell, the light heavyweight champion and the guy the UFC was promoting as a mainstream crossover star.

Jackson knocked him out in the first round. He became an overnight sensation, a popularity fueled by another title defense and a just-completed wise-cracking season as a coach on Spike TV’s “The Ultimate Fighter.” He had been a star in Japan’s PRIDE fighting but outside of hard core fans, how many Americans watched that?

“(My family) didn’t even know I was in Japan,” Jackson laughed. “They didn’t even give a damn until I started fighting in the UFC.”

Now he’s bracing for an onslaught from Memphis.

“I spent about $8,000 on extra tickets because everybody watched me on ‘Ultimate Fighter,’–” he said. “I’ve got uncles and aunts like 80 years old.”

Jackson broke into his Hollywood act, reenacting a phone conversation.

“‘I’m coming. I’m getting on a plane,” he said in old lady voice. “‘I ain’t never been on a plane before in my life. I’m coming to Vegas and watching. You better get me some tickets. I want front row.’

“‘What’s your old *** need with front row?’

“‘I can’t see no way else.’

He laughed.

“So they’ll be in the front row with their binoculars.”

Then there is Jackson the family man, a reality show just waiting to happen. He has four kids, two 8-year-old boys, a 2-year-old boy, and a 1-year-old girl. All three boys are named “Rampage.” (“It’s their middle name so they don’t have to use it if they don’t want to.”)

Apparently, Jackson has no control over any of them.

“They come up to (where he trains) on weekends, terrorize the house, make a big mess, **** all over the place and then leave.”

The 2-year-old urinates all over the place?

“I’m talking about the eights, the 2-year-old has Pampers,” he said. “They just don’t care. Those 8-year-olds are bad as hell.

“What am I supposed to do? I’m thinking about counseling. You can’t really whip your kids in California. You can whip them but you can’t leave bruises, but that’s impossible. Punishment doesn’t work. You can take video games away from them, but they act like they don’t care.

“I’m thinking about military school. But they might blow up the whole school and then I might have to pay for that.”

What about a time-out?

“What’s that?” he laughed. “Time-out? I give them that, they might shoot me.”

On the bright side, he says all these kids keep him hungry as a fighter.

“You don’t understand; I’ve got to save up for tuition and possibly bail money.”

Who knows, right? Jackson just keeps laughing. He’s deadly serious in the cage but has fun the rest of the time. He’s just stunned how many people suddenly know who he is.

“I live in Orange County and I hate to say it but there aren’t many black people around. So I feel shy and timid. So I don’t look at people, I do my thing. Now they are (saying), ‘Hey, man.’ They know everything about me.”

MMA has a reputation of being full of tattooed white guys. Jackson was such a rarity that when he was in PRIDE, the Japanese hyped him as a homeless man, a rather ugly stereotype. These days the sport is by no means homogenous – the current UFC champions consists of a Hawaiian, a French-Canadian, two Brazilians and Jackson, an African-American.

Actually, just call him black. He gave up the term African-American when he met a white guy from Africa who moved to America. It completely messed with his mind.

“He was a white African-American. (I said to him) ‘How can you be African-American? (Of course,) I’ve never been to Africa and I’m African-American.’”

No matter what the term, he isn’t trying to be Jackie Robinson.

“I’m not fighting so more black people get into fighting. Black people can do whatever they want. White people can do whatever they want to do.

“Be honest, white folks needed a sport like MMA because blacks and Mexicans took over boxing and basketball has black folks,” Jackson said, laughing the entire time to convey he’s joking. “I’m happy for white folks. I’m not going to lie to you. I’m not a hater. I’m happy for white folks they’ve got MMA.”

So why did a black guy from South Memphis (“the dirty, dirty”) dedicate himself to MMA?

“Because I can beat up white people and not get in trouble.”

He waited to see the reaction and then laughed the hardest of all.

“I’m joking. I just had to put that out there.”

SoonerBBall
7/5/2008, 11:51 PM
Same thing everyone said for Forrest/Shogun, and Forrest wrecked Shogun's **** in every way. *cue everyone saying that Shogun was injured/overlooked Forrest/was focused more on getting married/etc*

Rampage and Forrest are two of my favorites, but I want Forrest to win the fight and I don't think he will. His best shot is to take it to the ground, but I don't know if that is even possible against Rampage. If he can, I really like his chances. If they stand up the whole time, it will be Rampage all the way. If Rampage takes this fight lightly, though, he is going to get wrecked.

BOOYAH!! WAR FORREST GRIFFIN, YOUR NEW UFC LIGHT-HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION!

KC//CRIMSON
7/6/2008, 12:06 AM
That was a split decision at best. No way was that a unanimous decision.

SoonerBBall
7/6/2008, 11:50 AM
That was a split decision at best. No way was that a unanimous decision.

How? I had the winner taking rounds 2, 3, and 5 and round 2 was 10-8. Did you have the loser taking round 3?

Boomer.....
7/6/2008, 05:28 PM
Great fight! One of the better ones in a while.

I had the fight a lot closer and actually had Rampage with a slight advantage. I guess they gave Griffin a lot of credit for those kicks.

KC//CRIMSON
7/7/2008, 01:45 AM
How? I had the winner taking rounds 2, 3, and 5 and round 2 was 10-8. Did you have the loser taking round 3?

If you follow mmajunkie, they almost always score the fights right on the money.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/4736/ufc-86-live-results-and-round-by-round-updates.mma

48-46 48-46 49-46:rolleyes: no way.

SoonerBBall
7/7/2008, 09:38 AM
If you follow mmajunkie, they almost always score the fights right on the money.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/4736/ufc-86-live-results-and-round-by-round-updates.mma

48-46 48-46 49-46:rolleyes: no way.

I totally agree with you about the 49-46 score, but I had it 48-46 Griffin with Griffin winning rounds 2,3, and 5 and Jackson winning rounds 1 and 4.

I dislike the direction the judging has been going in the UFC for a while now, though. The judge that scored the fight 49-46 should never be allowed to judge a MMA fight again.

tbl
7/7/2008, 10:49 AM
Round 3 was the tough one to call. I had Rampage winning that one slightly, but with a 10-8 round in 2 (which I had for Forrest), the fight was a draw.

So who does Rampage get next?
Rematch with Forrest
Rematch with Wandy
Rematch with Shogun
Rematch with Chuck
Machida
Some can (ala Jardine)

I just don't see him fighting a can. Not to say Jardine is a can, but in respect to the other top contenders, he is. There's enough talent in the LHW division they could make many good fights over the next couple of years.

Oooooohhhh... I just thought... What about Spider/Rampage? Assuming Silva beats Sandman, he and Rampage fight for a title shot against the winner of Forrest/Liddell (assuming Liddell beats Evans and the UFC pit Liddell and Forrest for Forrests first defense). A lot of assumptions there, but that could be intriguing.

Big Red Ron
7/8/2008, 08:00 PM
Well, I was certainly wrong about the round but I think I was the only one here that said Forrest would win.

Just givin' it up to myself. ;)

KC//CRIMSON
7/10/2008, 06:44 PM
Russian Emelianenko brings big reputation to the States

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2008/07/09/mmax.jpg

Drop him on his head. Knock open a nasty gash on his face. Fedor Emelianenko hardly even blinks. The consensus No. 1 heavyweight in mixed martial arts shrugs it off and conquers his opponents.
Conquering the American marketplace is much more of a challenge. He'll try July 19 as the star attraction on the debut card of Affliction, a clothing company taking a shot at MMA promotion, in Anaheim, Calif.

The burly Russian — a fan of action movies, Bruce Willis and Sting — wants to break through in the USA.

"I have a great desire to have the American fans know who I am and hopefully be just as popular in America as I am in Asia," he said Wednesday via a translator while commuting on a train in Russia.

Within the MMA community, Emelianenko has single-name status, like Kobe or Tiger in their sports. Affliction bills the bout against Tim Sylvia as "Fedor vs. Sylvia."

"I give him the respect and say he's No. 1," says Ben Rothwell, another heavyweight on the Affliction card. "I'll keep giving him that until anyone can prove otherwise."

Emelianenko (27-1), whose sole loss is considered a technicality that he decisively avenged, built that reputation with dramatic wins on Japan's now-extinct PRIDE circuit.

In 2004, Kevin Randleman lifted him for a slam. Emelianenko's head took the brunt. Stunned for just a moment, he flipped himself on top, then started to hammer Randleman's head. When Randleman released his grip to deflect the blows, Emelianenko grabbed his arm for a good wrench, forcing Randleman to submit.

Randleman suplexes Emelianenko (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BukB1vIyzUQ&NR=1)

But few Americans had a chance to follow Emelianenko's fights, and as PRIDE fell apart, he ran out of opponents. "He has spent a significant amount of equity (with fans)," says Washington, D.C.-based radio host Luke Thomas, an MMA journalist at WJFK-FM.

"He's stayed out of the limelight so long," says Brandon Vera, who fights on an Ultimate Fighting Championship card the same night as Affliction's debut. "MMA fans are fickle."

Emelianenko's visibility has been limited by his standoff with UFC, the most recognized MMA promotion standing in the wake of PRIDE's demise. One of the reasons we chose not to work with UFC is out of principle," Emelianenko says. "The negotiations weren't very pleasant. They didn't present themselves very nicely. They said 'Take or leave it, and you'll probably come crawling back to us anyway.' "

"This whole urban legend thing has happened with Fedor with some of the hard-core fans," UFC President Dana White told USA TODAY earlier this year. "He hasn't fought anybody real or beaten anybody real since 2005."

Affliction gives Emelianenko a chance to answer critics and skeptics. Thomas is curious to see if he has kept up with the fast-evolving sport. "A loss here would do significant damage to his legacy," Thomas says. "He absolutely has some questions to answer."

Vera wants to see Emelianenko, too. "If the Fedor of old is still here, it'll be a matter of days before the whole world knows who he is again."

Boomer.....
7/11/2008, 08:33 AM
http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2008/07/09/mmax.jpg

Sylvia looks like a giant! :eek:

SoonerBBall
7/11/2008, 11:48 AM
Sylvia looks like a giant! :eek:

But unlike most of the giants that Fedor has fought since the dissolution of Pride, Sylvia can actually fight. Of course, Frank Mir showed us that he was (is?) susceptible to the armbar that Fedor looooves to use.

Bone
7/11/2008, 12:20 PM
I anticipate a good fight.

KC//CRIMSON
7/11/2008, 07:10 PM
But unlike most of the giants that Fedor has fought since the dissolution of Pride, Sylvia can actually fight. Of course, Frank Mir showed us that he was (is?) susceptible to the armbar that Fedor looooves to use.

and the rear naked choke, that Big Nog looooves to use.

What a loaded card. - http://www.afflictionclothing.com/banned_july19/

Can't wait!

SoonerBBall
7/13/2008, 10:12 AM
and the rear naked choke, that Big Nog looooves to use.

What a loaded card. - http://www.afflictionclothing.com/banned_july19/

Can't wait!

I'm pretty sure Big Nog took Sylvia out with an arm-in guillotine. Regardless, I'm really looking forward to this Saturday night.

KC//CRIMSON
7/14/2008, 07:04 PM
Xo38PTglLiQ

Bone
7/14/2008, 08:49 PM
Gonna be a great PPV.

KC//CRIMSON
7/14/2008, 10:27 PM
Yep, it's gonna be pretty exciting. Just hoping I can get back from the Sprint Center in time to see it live.

Anything can happen in this sport, but I think Cyborg should be able to handle Tim with in the first two to three rounds. I think Tim is going to be really surprised at how quick Cyborg moves.

Anything can happen though.....

SoonerBBall
7/15/2008, 10:42 AM
Yep, it's gonna be pretty exciting. Just hoping I can get back from the Sprint Center in time to see it live.

Anything can happen in this sport, but I think Cyborg should be able to handle Tim with in the first two to three rounds. I think Tim is going to be really surprised at how quick Cyborg moves.

Anything can happen though.....

Quicker than Arlovski? I've never seen Fedor fight live, so I don't know, but I'm not so sure that Tim is going to be as shocked as everyone thinks he is. Of course, you never know.

Bone
7/15/2008, 12:30 PM
Compare the workout footage from the above video. Based on that, Fedor is going to overwhelm Sylvia.

Bone
7/15/2008, 07:51 PM
Wow.. what the hell?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/mma/07/15/jackson.arrested/index.html

I'm guessing Forrest knocked him off the wagon.

KC//CRIMSON
7/15/2008, 08:47 PM
T2WFTKr8jWg

Tim has never had to take on anyone this thick and fast before. Watch how quickly Fedor can take down the bigger fighters in these highlights. Watch what he does at the 7:45 mark to the asian guy who disrespects him.:D

plus hong man choi....
P3QzX1ZadJM

Cam
7/16/2008, 09:23 AM
I don't know that you can compare Hong Man Choi to Tim. All I saw there was a big guy using his weight to bring Fedor down and then just lay on him. Tim's more athletic than that. But then again, this is the only HMC video that I've seen.

We've seen other guys dominate Pride and then get pummeled in UFC, so who knows.

My guess is that Fedor gets the win, he's just a freaking beast. Add his speed to his power and look out.

Either way, Tim's got a hotty to go home to, so he'll be a-ok.

SoonerBBall
7/16/2008, 10:36 AM
Tim has never had to take on anyone this thick and fast before. Watch how quickly Fedor can take down the bigger fighters in these highlights. Watch what he does at the 7:45 mark to the asian guy who disrespects him.:D

plus hong man choi....

I'm not saying Fedor isn't fast, and I'm not saying Tim is going to win. In fact, I really expect Fedor to come out stand up for a couple minutes, then take it to the ground and armbar the **** out of Tim. I just completely disagree that he hasn't ever fought someone with Fedor's speed. He's fought Arlovski 3 times, and I'd put his speed up against Fedor any day of the week.

I also don't understand all the hate for Tim. Yeah, he got boring as hell once he got the belt back. Nobody likes lay and pray, but it isn't like he is a can. He was beating the crap out of Nog before that guillotine.

KC//CRIMSON
7/16/2008, 11:32 AM
I don't know that you can compare Hong Man Choi to Tim. All I saw there was a big guy using his weight to bring Fedor down and then just lay on him. Tim's more athletic than that. But then again, this is the only HMC video that I've seen.

When you've taken out a guy who is 7'2 350 pounds with some MMA experience, you've done something. I don't care who you are. Fedor took some shots in that quick fight too. True, he's no Sylvia, but still quite a load.

I'm not saying Fedor isn't fast, and I'm not saying Tim is going to win. In fact, I really expect Fedor to come out stand up for a couple minutes, then take it to the ground and armbar the **** out of Tim. I just completely disagree that he hasn't ever fought someone with Fedor's speed. He's fought Arlovski 3 times, and I'd put his speed up against Fedor any day of the week.

I also don't understand all the hate for Tim. Yeah, he got boring as hell once he got the belt back. Nobody likes lay and pray, but it isn't like he is a can. He was beating the crap out of Nog before that guillotine.

I don't think we're on the same page. Arlovski is quick, but not as thick and quick as Fedor. I would also give the ground speed and quickness to Fedor as well. Sylvia wants no part of Cyborg on the ground.

Chalk me up as someone who doesn't hate Sylvia. Seems like a real nice guy. However, he is boring as hell to watch in the cage. But I would still put him in the Top 10 HWS.

Everyone beats Big Nog until they are guillotined. And they will be guillotined or submitted by the Anaconda.

Bone
7/16/2008, 12:19 PM
Either way, Tim's got a hotty to go home to, so he'll be a-ok.

pics?

edit:
she is indeed hot
http://www.mmapunch.com/2007/07/31/tim-sylvia-has-a-new-beautiful-girlfriend/

Cam
7/16/2008, 12:30 PM
When you've taken out a guy who is 7'2 350 pounds with some MMA experience, you've done something. I don't care who you are. Fedor took some shots in that quick fight too. True, he's no Sylvia, but still quite a load.

Agree, just saying that the athleticism in the two doesn't appear to be close.

KC//CRIMSON
7/19/2008, 10:31 AM
Go here: http://pages.tvunetworks.com/downloads/player.html#

Download player.

Channel 61886.

Light years better than channelsurfing.

KC//CRIMSON
7/19/2008, 11:21 PM
OMG!

THAT WAS BRUTAL!

SYLVIA HAD NO CHANCE.

36 seconds folks, 36 seconds.

As I mentioned earlier (and not honking my own horn) Fedor's speed is what totally threw Tim off balance. Just a flury of closing speed and solid shots coming from every angle. Amazing for such a big person.

Fedor and Randy shook hands in the ring after the fight and let everyone know they want to get in the ring with each other. All class on both parts. Randy even spoke a little Russian.

SoonerBBall
7/19/2008, 11:50 PM
OMG!

THAT WAS BRUTAL!

SYLVIA HAD NO CHANCE.

36 seconds folks, 36 seconds.

As I mentioned earlier (and not honking my own horn) Fedor's speed is what totally threw Tim off balance. Just a flury of closing speed and solid shots coming from every angle. Amazing for such a big person.

Fedor and Randy shook hands in the ring after the fight and let everyone know they want to get in the ring with each other. All class on both parts. Randy even spoke a little Russian.

All I can say is damn.

I was totally wrong. Fedor came out faster than I have ever seen a HW in my life. That was total domination. More than anything, this makes me wish Cro Cop would get his **** together and get back to whoppin *** so we can see Fedor v Cro Cop II.

Rhino
7/20/2008, 12:03 AM
Super impressive nights for Fedor and Anderson Silva.

KC//CRIMSON
7/20/2008, 02:42 AM
http://i34.tinypic.com/v5lmck.jpg

tap! tap! tap!

tommieharris91
7/20/2008, 03:17 AM
Wow, so that's what I missed tonight...

Anderson Silva made short work of whoever's *** he kicked.

KC//CRIMSON
7/20/2008, 09:28 AM
“I was amazed at how good he is. The guy’s a stud. I don’t think he’s human. He’s incredible. I don’t think anybody’s going to beat him for a while,” said Sylvia of Fedor at the post fight press conference.

Boomer.....
7/20/2008, 11:28 AM
Super impressive nights for Fedor and Anderson Silva.

Absolutely!

I wish Silva would stay at 205. There is so much more competition for him there. He said he would fight in whichever weight class would give him the best competition, but his duty was to defend the middleweight belt.

Boomer.....
7/21/2008, 07:41 AM
So with Fedor and Couture wanting to fight each other, what are the odds that it will happen this year? I read that the UFC will decide this month whether Couture will have to fight his 2 remaining fights in the UFC or be released from his contract.

KC//CRIMSON
7/21/2008, 07:30 PM
So with Fedor and Couture wanting to fight each other, what are the odds that it will happen this year? I read that the UFC will decide this month whether Couture will have to fight his 2 remaining fights in the UFC or be released from his contract.

Affliction could become MMA heavyweight

ANAHEIM, Calif. – The landscape of the mixed martial arts business may have changed Saturday night as the debuting Affliction promotion came out of its debut show with the potential for several of the biggest heavyweight marquee matches in the sport.

The myth of the quiet but unbeatable Russian, Fedor Emelianenko, turned into an undisputed reality as he destroyed former two-time UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia in a scant 36 seconds in the main event at the Honda Center. Emelianenko, 28-1, who was the PRIDE heavyweight champion from 2003 until the company closed in 2007, became the first World Alliance of Mixed Martial arts heavyweight champion with the win.

It was billed as for the first undisputed world heavyweight title, although clearly “undisputed” is the wrong word to describe the first title created by an outside sanctioning body as opposed to a champion declared by a promotional company.

The industry already has two UFC heavyweight champions, in Randy Couture, the last champion who never lost, and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, who the company is recognizing as interim champion due to Couture’s resignation from the organization. There will be an Elite XC champion after a match with Antonio Silva vs. Justin Eilers on Saturday night in Stockton, Calif. Strikeforce also has a heavyweight champion in Alistair Overeem and IFL has one in Roy Nelson.

Emelianenko, showing amazing reflexes for a heavyweight, came out throwing punches before Sylvia even realized what hit him. The 6-foot-8 fighter, who weighed 263 at weigh-ins but was probably closer to 280 come fight time, went down from the initial barrage. Emelianenko, 6 feet and 230 pounds, choked him out on the ground before the sellout crowd of 13,988.
“I was very pleased with my performance,” said Emelianenko after the match. “Everything I wanted to do, I was able to do.”
“I was prepared to stand up, but I knew I had a better chance to end it on the ground.”
“I know I’m one of the best heavyweights in the world, and I was amazed at him,” said Sylvia. “I really don’t think that he’s human.”

Emelianenko laughed about the comment.

“I’m human,” he said, noting his thumb came out of its socket during the flurry. “I thought I was the guy to beat him,” said Sylvia. “But I’ve never been hit so hard. I think it was a choke across the windpipe because that hurts. But my pride’s hurt, that’s about it.”

The bigger picture after a night in which UFC and Affliction went head-to-head, is not who had the better show, or were seen by the most fans (UFC on Spike TV undoubtedly drew the larger audience), but what it builds for the future.

The Affliction show, with a packed house, had a major-event atmosphere that was a stark difference from most of the promotional opponents UFC has faced off against over the past few years.

Several fighters, most notably former UFC heavyweight champions Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett, came across as potential superstars. The key is how well this first show did on pay-per-view, and if expected major losses in putting together such a loaded debut card affect the company going forward. Promoter Tom Atencio talked about a second show in November, and indicated he would like to match Emelianenko vs. Couture, but negotiating the match is out of his hands right now.

Such a match would only be possible if Couture was able to get out of his UFC contract, which from a time frame expires in October, but UFC is claiming Couture owes them two more fights on the four-fight deal signed in early 2007. Ultimately, the courts will decide if and when this match can take place.
Emelianenko vs. Couture, if promoted by UFC, would undoubtedly be the biggest money MMA match in history. However, there is virtually no chance that will happen in that organization. But whatever potential that fight had Friday was magnified by Emelianenko’s performance Saturday.

“Every fighter has his strengths and weaknesses,” said Emelianenko. “Randy has many strenghts, but I can see weaknesses. It’s a matter of taking advantage of the weaknesses. A match between us would depend on who took advantage of the others’ weaknesses.”

The night couldn’t have finished better for the new group after a rocky start to a card that featured just two fights in the first two hours. Not only did Emelianenko answer all critics who questioned whether he had lost a step in the three years since he had faced a legitimate top-ranked opponent, but two potential opponents past Couture were also established.

Arlovski, who left the UFC upon taking a bigger money offer from Affliction, had his best all-around performance in years to establish another potentially lucrative match.

Arlovski, a Belarussan who has been living in Chicago for years, knocked out a game Ben Rothwell in impressive fashion at 1:13 of the third round in the match that stole the show.

Josh Barnett of Seattle avenged a 2001 loss to Pedro Rizzo by scoring a knockout at 0:44 of the second round. Barnett spent the past five years mostly fighting in Japan after being stripped of the title due to a steroid test.
“It was redemption for seven years ago, but seven years is a long time,” said Barnett. “I’m really upset that it was Pedro. He’s a really special person. I’d have rather knocked out somebody else.”

Barnett knows Emelianenko well as they spent years together working on the same shows in Japan.

“He’s a good friend and has an incredible character,” said Barnett. “We have the traits that we can have a great fight.”

KC//CRIMSON
7/23/2008, 11:24 PM
Report: Fedor Emelianenko To Fight Andrei Arlovski

The MMA world is still buzzing over the return of the king this Saturday, as Fedor Emelianenko made quick work of former UFC champion Tim Sylvia, his first highly ranked opponent in a year and a half.

Emelianenko now appears ready to make up for lost time, announcing to the French website FightSport.fr that he will face Andrei Arlovski, an opponent for DREAM's NYE show, and then Josh Barnett in succession.

"I want to make up for lost time and fight more this year," said Fedor. "The next Affliction event is planned for November, but we're trying to get it pushed back to October so that I can prepare properly for my fight with DREAM in December."

Emelianenko went on to reveal two of his next three opponents.

"Andrei Arlovski (is next). I do not know the name of my opponent at Dream but then I intend to face Josh Barnett in March in the USA."

Ad in the looming match up with Randy Couture and it would appear that Emelianenko will have no shortage of exciting opponents to face off against for the foreseeable future, which is great news fans of the sport.

I think out of the three guys mentioned, Barnett will be his biggest challenge. Josh has heavy hands and is very good on the ground. He is also ONE BIG MOTHER. Fedor will need to pack a lunch for this one.

I see Arlovski with a punchers chance, but not much of one.

I just don't see Randy having any success against Fedor.

OU4LIFE
7/29/2008, 07:42 AM
it was nice to see Arlovski fight well, but Fedor will own him.

DustySooner
8/6/2008, 05:39 PM
it was nice to see Arlovski fight well, but Fedor will own him.

Looks like we'll have to see Arlovski v. Barnett first.

5 Oz. Exclusive: Arlovski vs. Fedor likely to be scrapped
Posted by Sam Caplan

FiveOuncesOfPain.com learned late Friday that a proposed main event for Affliction’s second-ever show on Oct. 11 between WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko and Andrei Arlovski appears to be off for the time being.

A reliable source speaking on the condition of anonyomity revealed to Five Ounces of Pain that Emelianenko has been dealing with a lingering hand injury that will make it virtually impossible for him to be ready in time for Affliction’s October show at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Arlovski is expected to remain on the card and event organizers are said to be looking into finalizing a bout between Arlovski and Josh Barnett to serve as the show’s new main event.

The two former UFC heavyweight champions both competed and were victorious on Affliction’s first show last month. Barnett knocked out Pedro Rizzo at 1:44 of round 2 while Arlovski knocked out Ben Rothwell at 3:13 of round 3.

So far, no bouts have been officially announced for the Oct. 11 card by Affliction. However, rumors indicate that bouts featuring Matt Lindland vs. Vitor Belfort and Tito Ortiz vs. Renato “Babalu” Sobral could be in the works.