PDA

View Full Version : ***The Official MMA Thread***

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

KC//CRIMSON
7/27/2009, 07:16 PM
Unless the translators are misquoting him immediately after he says it in Russian, I have seen this personally come out of his mouth, multiple times, on taped interviews. Most recently on the Inside MMA interview with Bas.

News to me, seriously. I've never even seen him even asked about mma contracts and such, only fights and fighters.

tbl
7/27/2009, 07:33 PM
I'm sure it's all been filtered through to him as he's never once spoken to Lorenzo or Dana, but it is definitely his opinion, nonetheless. Here's an article that at first seems promising, then the last sentence...

It's a years-old discussion, and one that is at times maddening.

Widely regarded as the world's top heavyweight fighter, Fedor Emelinanko has proven to be the one commodity the UFC hasn't been able to land, and the strained relations between UFC president Dana White and the Russian's management have often been anything but amicable.

But with the collapse of Emelianenko's recent fighting home, Affliction Entertainment, his manager, Vadim Finkelchtein, says negotiations with the UFC are again underway.

"This the moment of truth that the UFC has talked about," Finkelchtein stated in a recent release issued by his company, M-1 Global. "Fedor and I are here in the States. If they want to come out and fly here, we are ready to conduct negotiations."

With M-1 Global's recent announcement of the Aug. 28 event, "M-1 Breakthrough," many MMA observers have speculated Emelianenko may appear on the company's first edition of the "new premium fight series."

Finkelchtein said his fighter is looking at a number of options.

"We are now with Fedor in the U.S., and we hope to make a decision about his next fight within the next few days," Finkelchtein stated. "There are many business meetings and negotiations planned with all the major promotions. We will explore the possibility of Fedor fighting (Josh) Barnett and will even look into whether the fight can take place as soon as August (since Barnett has not been suspended)."

While the excitement surrounding the long-awaited matchup between Emelianenko and Barnett certainly took a step back with "The Babyfaced Assassin's" recent positive drug test result, it would still be a bout between two of the world's best heavyweights. But with Brock Lesnar's impressive win at UFC 100 and White's apparent commitment to bringing the Russian into his organization, fans will most certainly be clamoring for Emelianenko to sign with the UFC.

While Finkelchtein's latest statement seems to lend some hope for that result, the terms of a potential contract may still prove impossible for the UFC to consider.

"Of course, it still doesn't imply we are ready to accept any conditions they'll throw at us," Finkelchtein said. "We want to talk to the UFC about having Fedor compete against some of their fighters, but only within the framework of co-promotional efforts with M-1 Global."

Knippz
7/27/2009, 09:48 PM
That's what pisses me off. This stupid M-1 management is trying to use the UFC to propel it's crappy little company by using Fedor to try and co-promote. UFC is like the NFL/NBA of MMA. The NFL didn't co-promote the XFL when it was around. That would be stupid. The same with the UFC, why would they help their competition? Either Fedor will budge, or we won't see him in the UFC. There's too much at risk for the UFC to take him under those stipulations.

Knippz
7/27/2009, 09:52 PM
Add in the possibility that *IF* Brock were to beat Fedor (and that's a big if), his net worth would drop significantly. This whole thing would be wayyy less of an issue were Fedor to lose.

If Lesnar were to win, the UFC could say, "Well, our best guy (HW) beat him, why do we even need him?" Sure he'd be great to have, but why waste our efforts on someone who isn't even the best. Completely hypothetical, of course, but the situation could very well happen. I don't see the UFC budging at all, and it's unlikely that Fedor's management will either. So either Fedor will make the decision himself or it's not happening.

Knippz
7/27/2009, 09:58 PM
And say if Fedor fights Barnett unsanctioned, and loses. What happens then? There's a lot at risk in signing Fedor under any stipulations but their (UFC) own.

KC//CRIMSON
7/27/2009, 10:12 PM
Dana White: UFC to hold press conference on July 31 to announce "a lot of crazy things"

The UFC is on the verge of some major announcements.

During a guest spot today on the ESPN 1100 Radiothon, a 24-hour fundraiser for The Caring Place cancer charity, UFC president Dana White said the organization will soon hold a major press conference, tentatively planned for July 31.

He referenced the media event when asked about reports of Affliction halting operations and becoming a UFC sponsor, the possibility of the UFC acquiring Affliction contracts, whether or not Fedor Emelianenko could be signed to the UFC, and whether a rumored deal with ESPN could come to fruition.

"We're working on some big things," White said without going into specifics. "It's going to be a lot of crazy things. ... There will be a laundry list of things addressed."

On the show, White also confirmed that ESPN executive John Skipper, widely regarded as the "No. 2 guy" at the sports-media powerhouse, was in attendance at UFC 100.

Sources have told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that discussions have taken place regarding the possibility of ESPN airing live UFC shows at some point, though nothing appears definitive and official confirmation has been impossible to get. On the radio spot, White simply referred to the increased coverage ESPN can bring to its existing events, which air on pay-per-view and Spike TV.

"He got it," White said of Skipper's UFC 100 trip. "He saw the people. He saw the energy. All the things you get from the UFC live event, he felt, and that's why we're starting to get more coverage on ESPN."

As for Emelianenko, who was slated to fight at the Aug. 1 "Affliction: Trilogy" event before its cancellation earlier today, White said he's definitely interested in the fighter.

"My job is to put on the best fights with the best fighters and give fight fans the fights they want to see," White said. "What I think ... doesn't matter. I've been trying to get this guy in the UFC. I want it because you (fans) want it."

Additionally, if Emelianenko is signed, expect him in a championship bout immediately.

"He'll fight for the title first," White said.

Finally, as for Affliction, White remained tight-lipped and wouldn't confirm today's earlier report that the UFC would again allow the company to sponsor fighters (with the organization ceasing the promotion of MMA events).

However, he dropped a big hint.

"These guys are good at making clothes," he said. "They're not in the fight business. We are."

OU4LIFE
7/28/2009, 07:36 AM
Add in the possibility that *IF* Brock were to beat Fedor (and that's a big if), his net worth would drop significantly. This whole thing would be wayyy less of an issue were Fedor to lose.

If Lesnar were to win, the UFC could say, "Well, our best guy (HW) beat him, why do we even need him?" Sure he'd be great to have, but why waste our efforts on someone who isn't even the best. Completely hypothetical, of course, but the situation could very well happen. I don't see the UFC budging at all, and it's unlikely that Fedor's management will either. So either Fedor will make the decision himself or it's not happening.

this

KC//CRIMSON
7/28/2009, 09:18 AM
Strikeforce enter talks with Fedor Emelianenko over six figure pay days

The California based Strikeforce promotion are said to be launching an audacious move to secure the services of WAMMA heavyweight champion, Fedor Emelianenko, a move that would scupper any hopes of seeing him square off with UFC heavyweight champion, Brock Lesnar.

The following is according to FiveKnuckles.com:

“Sources close to the fighter have informed us that Strikeforce were in talks with Affliction, M-1 Global and Golden Boy promotions on a long term deal with Emelianenko within the last couple of days. The promotion reportedly offered the former Pride champion between 500,000 and 700,000 per fight, a non-exclusive contract, guaranteed exposure on CBS shows and a cut of any PPV event he was a part of.”

“Emelianenko would certainly be able to get maximum mainstream U.S. exposure via CBS and Showtime which could lead possible big money endorsement deals and he'd also get to enjoy the freedoms associated with Strikeforce's non-exclusive contracts. This scenario is considered a strong possibility if Emelianenko is indeed a free agent according to inside sources.”

Knippz
7/28/2009, 10:16 AM
Done. Looking forward to Fedor fighting scrubs til he retires. How lame.

KC//CRIMSON
7/28/2009, 10:22 AM
Done. Looking forward to Fedor fighting scrubs til he retires. How lame.

I wouldn't call Overeem, Werdum, and Rodgers scrubs. I doubt he goes there anyway...

Knippz
7/28/2009, 12:36 PM
I do want to see the Overeem fight. Rogers and Werdum get owned.

KC//CRIMSON
7/28/2009, 12:57 PM
I do want to see the Overeem fight. Rogers and Werdum get owned.

Why wouldn't you want to see someone as big as Lesnar and with more skill fight Fedor?

I would.

Knippz
7/28/2009, 04:00 PM
Why wouldn't you want to see someone as big as Lesnar and with more skill fight Fedor?

I would.

Rogers? If that's who you are referring to, then I disagree with your analysis. I don't think Werdum is great. And I would absolutely love to see Fedor fight Overeem.

But that's it. 3 fighters outside UFC you can think of.

How about Carwin, Couture, Nog 3, Velasquez, LESNAR, Mir, (KIMBO HAHAHA), Cro Cop again? Anderson at a catch weight? The possibility of some LHW's moving up for that fight?

There's so many more options with the UFC for Fedor than anywhere else. That's why I'll be severely disappointed if he signs with someone else, where he can face one-KO-of-Arlovski-and-suddenly-THE-TOP-CONTENDER-Brett Rogers, or I got KO'd by a newcomer then left UFC Werdum, or I got owned at LHW but seem to be pretty good at HW Overeem.

None of them are scrubs, per-say, but they aren't MUST-SEE match-ups either.

KC//CRIMSON
7/28/2009, 06:34 PM
My bad, I thought it said "don't want to see." I can think of a few more I'd like to see him fight: Barnett, Antonio Silva, Kharitonov, and maybe a few others...according to most MMA sites four of the top ten HW don't fight in the UFC.

KC//CRIMSON
7/28/2009, 06:35 PM
Don't get your hopes up, but....

Fedor Emelianenko, UFC finalizing deal
6:24 PM, July 28, 2009

A long-awaited agreement between the Ultimate Fighting Championship and the man considered the world's best mixed martial arts fighter, Fedor Emelianenko, is expected to be announced by UFC President Dana White on Friday, a source with information about the negotiations told The Times today.

The source, who asked not to be identified because he's not authorized to speak publicly about the dealings, called negotiations between the UFC and Fedor "very civil" just days after Fedor's scheduled Affliction Trilogy fight Saturday against Josh Barnett was canceled.

Affliction wound up folding its MMA promotion activities and announced an apparel deal to sponsor UFC.

Now, Fedor, who has previously fought in organizations including PRIDE Fighting Championships in Japan, Bodog Fight and Affliction, is crossing over to the world's most successful MMA fighting organization, as well.

With a 30-1 record that includes victories over former UFC heavyweight champions Tim Sylvia, Andrei Arlovski and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Emelianenko would likely get an immediate shot at reigning UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar.

The source, who is not affiliated with the UFC, said officials were discussing details on the public announcement of the deal, which in the past has been complicated by Emelianenko's resistance to accept UFC's standard six-fight contract and his unwillingness to surrender some merchandising and marketing revenues.

But this month White said he was optimistic he could bring Emelianenko aboard, and his confidence was well-placed. The UFC declined to elaborate on Friday's scheduled announcement.

Knippz
7/28/2009, 10:03 PM
I'm getting giddy! At the same time I'm calling BS. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Sooner_Bob
7/28/2009, 11:42 PM
Come on you guys . . . Dana is just gonna announce that Coors Light is a new corporate sponsor.

:D

KC//CRIMSON
7/29/2009, 01:39 PM
Sources: Fedor-UFC talks 'intense' but will likely drag past Friday
11:21 AM, July 29, 2009

The chief operating officer of Fedor Emelianenko's promotional company, M-1 Global, confirmed to The Times in an e-mail early this morning that the heavyweight, considered the world's best mixed martial arts fighter, is engaged in "intense negotiations with the UFC."

Joost Raimond told The Times that contract talks "are ongoing, but we have not reached any kind of agreement at this time."

On Tuesday, another source close to Emelianenko's camp told The Times it made sense that the "very civil" talks between Emelianenko, his people and the UFC would be the subject of a news conference call the UFC has scheduled for Friday. A UFC official did not dismiss the suggestion that the two events were linked.

However, the original source told The Times today it would now be surprising for UFC and Fedor to have a deal signed by Friday. The source requested anonymity because authorization hasn't been given to speak publicly on the issue.

The sides have been separated in the past by issues including the number of fights in the contract (the UFC wants six) and they have to address Emelianenko's business connection to M-1. No deal-breaking event has happened since yesterday, the source said, but negotiations are complex and will likely require "more than 48 hours."

A UFC spokeswoman said Tuesday that the special Friday news conference would "not be [UFC President] Dana [White] talking about UFC 101," scheduled for next month in Philadelphia, but she provided no more information about the subject of the call.

The Times' attempts to reach White and company owner Lorenzo Fertitta since Tuesday have been unsuccessful.

The Sun website in England is reporting that the UFC is planning to announce a venture that will allow ESPN to broadcast UFC events in England.

The UFC is also reportedly mulling how to handle the contracts of other fighters who were part of Affliction Entertainment, which canceled its Saturday show starring Emelianenko (30-1) at Anaheim's Honda Center after his scheduled opponent, Josh Barnett, tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs.

Emelianenko is scheduled to conduct a news conference today in Anaheim to discuss his post-Affliction plans, M-1 has announced. He has long maintained that he wants to fight the best possible opponent, and the UFC offers that person in its heavyweight champ, Brock Lesnar.

But Emelianenko could leave the U.S. as early as today, the source said.

-- Lance Pugmire

Sooner_Bob
7/29/2009, 04:45 PM
I guess you could say they're closer to signing Fedor than ever before . . .

KC//CRIMSON
7/29/2009, 05:52 PM
I guess you could say they're closer to signing Fedor than ever before . . .

Yeah, I'd say me and you have a better chance of landing in the UFC than Fedor.

Oh well.

Sooner_Bob
7/29/2009, 07:33 PM
I never said they were ever very close before . . . :)

tbl
7/30/2009, 09:18 AM
If Fedor is actually in the meetings, that will be a much bigger step than previously taken. Still, I'll believe it when I see it.

Collier11
7/30/2009, 09:23 AM
So who wins Saturday? I follow enough to know who all the fighters are and who wins but not really enough to know who are the favs and all that jazz...im hoping Griffin, im a big fan of his

Boomer.....
7/30/2009, 09:43 AM
UFC 101 is August 8th.

Collier11
7/30/2009, 09:44 AM
next weekend then jerk ;)

Knippz
7/30/2009, 11:34 AM
So who wins Saturday? I follow enough to know who all the fighters are and who wins but not really enough to know who are the favs and all that jazz...im hoping Griffin, im a big fan of his

Forrest has a very small, very unlikely chance of winning. Sorry. BJ Penn wins, but I could see Kenny pulling it off.

Boomer.....
7/30/2009, 12:33 PM
I don't really see Forrest winning either but I am pulling for him. I really like both fighters but Silva is just too skilled. Forrest will put up a great effort and wont give up but I just don't think he has what it takes to be Anderson Silva.

Penn vs. Florian will be interesting. While Penn will be the favorite, he looked horrible against GSP, obviously not a good fight to take, and Florian has looked great lately. It might be time for the belt to change hands.

Sooner_Bob
7/30/2009, 12:44 PM
I want to see BJ fight Diego . . .

Boomer.....
7/30/2009, 12:57 PM
He might be next up for a title shot. He has looked great since moving back down to 155.

Sooner_Bob
7/30/2009, 01:00 PM
He might be next up for a title shot. He has looked great since moving back down to 155.

I thought I heard that since he edged out Clay Guida that he was in fact next in line for a title shot.

tbl
7/30/2009, 01:58 PM
That is what they confirmed. Sanchez gets the winner.

I like Forrest, but I think he's the type of fighter that will bring out the best in Anderson, which will ultimately NOT be a good thing for him. Silva wins by KO. Not going to the cards.

KC//CRIMSON
7/30/2009, 02:02 PM
That is what they confirmed. Sanchez gets the winner.

I like Forrest, but I think he's the type of fighter that will bring out the best in Anderson, which will ultimately NOT be a good thing for him. Silva wins by KO. Not going to the cards.

I'm taking Forrest, I don't know why. I just have a strange feeling about this fight.

Boomer.....
7/30/2009, 03:37 PM
He's a scrapper. I don't see him getting knocked out but it could get stopped early like in the Evans fight.

KC//CRIMSON
7/30/2009, 04:05 PM
He's a scrapper. I don't see him getting knocked out but it could get stopped early like in the Evans fight.

I think one of the main reasons I have this feeling is because Forrest has the length in his arms and legs to apply pressure from a distance. Not sure we've seen someone as lanky as him fight Silva yet.

Knippz
7/30/2009, 08:01 PM
Silva's reflexes are outrageous. Forrest makes a lot of mistakes in fights. I predict 2nd round TKO Silva.

tbl
7/30/2009, 11:12 PM
Plus let's not forget Forrest has been KO'd pretty brutally twice now, so we know he's susceptible.

Knippz
7/31/2009, 12:03 AM
Plus let's not forget Forrest has been KO'd pretty brutally twice now, so we know he's susceptible.

I know. Jardine and Evans tore him up. If Jardine and Evans did that, why would anyone believe a 10 out of 10 striker wouldn't do the same or worse?

Knippz
7/31/2009, 03:22 PM
Dana White hints UFC signing heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko now unlikely
by Dann Stupp on Jul 31, 2009 at 2:50 pm ET

Despite perhaps the most advanced negotiations ever between the two parties, the Ultimate Fighting Championship is unlikely to sign Fedor Emelianenko to a UFC deal.

UFC president Dana White today suggested he gave his best effort but that ultimately even offering Emelianenko "the most amazing deal" wasn't enough.

As Emelianenko's manager, M-1 Global co-owner and president Vadim Finkelchtein, suggested during a Wednesday press conference, the UFC's refusal to co-promote shows with M-1 was likely the negotiations' biggest hurdle.

"How are they going to help us co-promote?" White said. "They're going to help us? That [expletive] might work in Russia (but) not here."

So if Finkelchtein backed down from that specific demand, would a deal be done?

"We'd be announcing it right now," White said.

White, who's gone back and forth with praise and criticism of the former longtime PRIDE champion during years of on-again, off-again negotiations, said ultimately he wanted to sign Emelianenko (30-1) because the fans want him, and the best fights possibly, so badly.

"We did everything possible for this deal," White said. "We didn't hold back. It's crazy to turn down a deal like this. ... How do you deal with something like this?"

White, though, initially was confident a deal would be reached. In fact, he said he hasn't completely shut the door on the possibility.

"I was so confident we were going to get this done," he said. "I went in (to the negotiations) with the mindset that we were going to get this done.

"I'm ready to make a deal. If they want to make a deal, they can call me right now."

Earlier today Finkelchtein issued a statement that rumors of the offered deal being worth up to $30 million were incorrect and likely came from the UFC's side of the negotiations.

"It is unfortunate that so much incorrect information has been leaked to the public," Finkelchtein stated. "It is M-1's preference not to negotiate in public, and we are unsure why people claim that Fedor and M-1 turned down a six-fight, $30 million contract to fight in the UFC when no such offer was ever made.

"All we are asking is that there is give-and-take in the negotiations and that they are not one-sided."

For the latest on this ongoing saga, check out the Fedor Emelianenko archives here at MMAjunkie.com.

Knippz
7/31/2009, 03:28 PM
Before you say it's Fedor's management, he is a CO-OWNER of M-1. It's his decision too.

He's not going to go down as the greatest fighter of all time, or even the greatest fighter of his time. His competition is weak. Has been the last few years and will be in the future.

A. Silva and GSP's competition relative to Fedor's is much better in the last few years anyway. There goes Fedor's rep.

The best part about it is, so many fans are going to be pissed off about this, and skeptical about every promotion he touches dies, he's going to lose quite a bit of fans. I personally hate this guy now. I could care less to see him fight anyone outside the UFC except Overeem. After that (if it even happens), I doubt I'll watch another of his fights.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the promotion he signs to (barring a miracle that he signs with UFC randomly) is going to fall under.

Knippz
7/31/2009, 03:30 PM
Rich Franklin vs. Vitor Belfort, not Dan Henderson, new UFC 103 main event
by Dann Stupp on Jul 31, 2009 at 2:45 pm ET

Following the demise of Affliction Entertainment, Vitor Belfort (16-8 MMA, 7-4 UFC) has signed with the UFC, replaced Dan Henderson (25-7 MMA, 5-2 UFC) and will fight Rich Franklin (25-4 MMA, 12-3 UFC) in the main event of UFC 103.

UFC president Dana White today announced the new headliner, set to take place at 205 pounds, during a media call while also saying Henderson will instead likely get the next shot at Anderson Silva's middleweight title.

UFC 103 takes place Sept. 19 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas and airs on pay-per-view.

Last month the UFC initially announced Franklin vs. Henderson II as the UFC 103 headliner. The two fighters first met in January, when Henderson won a split decision in the UFC 99 main event, and news of the rematch wasn't exactly a hit with fans.

The reasons? They are plentiful. Franklin recently moved to light heavyweight (though he recently defeated Wanderlei Silva at a catch-weight of 195 pounds), and Henderson most recently fought at middleweight and defeated Michael Bisping. Franklin said he wanted to return to light heavyweight, and Henderson said he wanted to stay at middleweight and challenge for UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva's title.

"Fans didn't like it, so we changed it," White said.

However, the booking was likely born more out of necessity than marketability for the UFC, who had already committed most of the company's top 185- and 205-pounders to other contests.

The fight, though, was never added to the official fight card on UFC.com, and Franklin recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) he was never even told in which weight class the fight would be held.

Now, after never fully committing to that fight in the first place, the organization will now focus on Franklin vs. Belfort instead.

Franklin most recently headlined UFC 99, where he picked up the decision win over Silva. "Ace" is now 2-1 since leaving the middleweight division in 2008 after losing his belt and a rematch to current champ Anderson Silva.

Belfort, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, left the organization in 2005 after back-to-back losses to Randy Couture and Tito Ortiz. However, the former PRIDE fighter has now won four straight fights and five of his past six. He had been slated to fight Jorge Santiago at "Affliction: Trilogy," but after headliner Josh Barnett was denied a license due to a failed drug test (for alleged anabolic steroid use), Belfort was the leading candidate to get the open slot.

However, the event was canceled before an official announcement was ever made.

Earlier this year White said he hoped to get Belfort back in the UFC as a possible challenger for Silva's middleweight title. However, he later backed off the talk and even denied making the comments, which aired on Spike TV.

For the latest on UFC 103, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

Knippz
7/31/2009, 03:30 PM
^^^^ Sweeeeeet!

Knippz
7/31/2009, 03:33 PM
Dana White officially announces Tito Ortiz is back with the UFC, no debut date set
by Dann Stupp on Jul 31, 2009 at 2:40 pm ET

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz, one of the biggest pay-per-view draws in UFC history, has returned to the organization.

During a media conference call today, UFC president Dana White confirmed Ortiz has re-signed with the organization. No debut date has been set, but Ortiz hopes to fight before year's end, and White said it could be against Mark Coleman.

While the news would have been shocking months ago, both White and Ortiz recently hinted that a new deal was in the works.

Last week White issued a message on Twitter stating, "Welcome back Tito." During a radio interview later that night, White simply said Ortiz returning to the UFC is "a possibility" but did confirm their long-brewing feud had been squelched and that they had "made up." On Thursday, Ortiz posted a MySpace bulletin saying a big announcement that would "be made today" that would clarify his future.

"Dana came to me ... and apologized to me," Ortiz said. "For me personally it was about competition. (The UFC) is the best show in the world. That's why I'm here."

White was happy to bury the hatchet.

"I think the fans are as over the Dana-Tito bull [expletive] as we are," he said.

Ortiz, who underwent back surgery earlier this year, hasn't competed since a decision loss to Lyoto Machida in May 2008. Vowing never to fight in the UFC if White were still in charge, Ortiz has claimed he was close to signing deals with EliteXC, Affliction, Strikeforce and a few other players over the past year.

Despite the layoff, Ortiz (15-6-1 MMA, 14-6-1 UFC) remains one of the sport's most recognizable stars and one of the top pay-per-view draws in MMA history. Although winless in his past three fights, "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" faced three current and former champions (Machida, Rashad Evans and Chuck Liddell) during the stretch. The veteran fighter, who won the UFC light heavyweight title with a September 1999 victory over Wanderlei Silva, made a record five consecutive title defenses before a loss to Randy Couture in 2003.

KC//CRIMSON
7/31/2009, 04:09 PM
Before you say it's Fedor's management, he is a CO-OWNER of M-1. It's his decision too.

He's not going to go down as the greatest fighter of all time, or even the greatest fighter of his time. His competition is weak. Has been the last few years and will be in the future.

A. Silva and GSP's competition relative to Fedor's is much better in the last few years anyway. There goes Fedor's rep.

The best part about it is, so many fans are going to be pissed off about this, and skeptical about every promotion he touches dies, he's going to lose quite a bit of fans. I personally hate this guy now. I could care less to see him fight anyone outside the UFC except Overeem. After that (if it even happens), I doubt I'll watch another of his fights.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the promotion he signs to (barring a miracle that he signs with UFC randomly) is going to fall under.

M-1 global is owned and ran by Fedor's manager. It was founded around Fedor, and since it's inception Fedor has not fought with a company that has not co-promoted with M-1. Fedor is part owner but it basically works like this: M-1 helps promote the event, they put their logo on the ring/cage canvas, they receive a portion of the revenue that the event took in and Fedor receives a portion of that. It's really not a whole lot different than upper tier fighters like Randy Couture receiving a percentage of the PPV buys.

It has more to do with Finkelstein's greed than anything. And you're crazy if you don't think he's the best P4P in the world or the best HW. Who is? Brock and his 4-1 record?

And unlike Anderson Silva (who has a whopping two quality wins Franklin and Henderson and a slew of cans) Fedor finishes his fights instead of playing footsies with his opponents. GSP has already said (and I have the video if you don't believe me) that Fedor is the best P4P in the world.

Nobody likes that he's not coming to the UFC right now, let's wait and see what happens when his three fight contract runs out with Finkelstein. It is what it is, it sucks, but oh well.

tbl
7/31/2009, 04:21 PM
Stinking commies!!!

KC//CRIMSON
7/31/2009, 04:24 PM
Stinking greedy commies!!!

Knippz
7/31/2009, 06:13 PM
M-1 global is owned and ran by Fedor's manager. It was founded around Fedor, and since it's inception Fedor has not fought with a company that has not co-promoted with M-1. Fedor is part owner but it basically works like this: M-1 helps promote the event, they put their logo on the ring/cage canvas, they receive a portion of the revenue that the event took in and Fedor receives a portion of that. It's really not a whole lot different than upper tier fighters like Randy Couture receiving a percentage of the PPV buys.

It has more to do with Finkelstein's greed than anything. And you're crazy if you don't think he's the best P4P in the world or the best HW. Who is? Brock and his 4-1 record?

And unlike Anderson Silva (who has a whopping two quality wins Franklin and Henderson and a slew of cans) Fedor finishes his fights instead of playing footsies with his opponents. GSP has already said (and I have the video if you don't believe me) that Fedor is the best P4P in the world.

Nobody likes that he's not coming to the UFC right now, let's wait and see what happens when his three fight contract runs out with Finkelstein. It is what it is, it sucks, but oh well.

I typed up a whole comparison of the last 10 fights of the 3, GSP, Andy, and Fedor, but hit refresh and lost it all. So I'll retype that later.

To state that a guy who fights the likes of Matt Lindland (out of his weight class 2 levels up), Mark Hunt 0-5 in his last 5, 5-6 overall, Tim Sylvia (just KO'd by a 0-0 fighter, old washed up BOXER), Arlovski (just KO'd in under 20 seconds by an up and comer), Hong Man Choi (need I say more?), Cro-Cop who has been less than stellar in the UFC, washed up Coleman, or Heath Herring?

I fail to see where the notable win comes in that list, other than a prime Cro-Cop. Other than that, none of those guys are very good fighters. MAYBE Arlovski or Coleman. MAYBE.

Fedor's REAL notable wins are over Nog and primed Cro-Cop, and Arona. To say any different is ridiculous. Look at his opponent's records coming in, then their records since. Please don't say Randleman (terrible) or Fujita (also bad).

He has 3 notable opponents that he's beat.

Anderson has Hendo and Franklin, and soon to be Griffin.

GSP has Hughes, Fitch, Alves (maybe), Sherk, and Penn.

Honestly GSP has had the toughest competition of the 3 overall. But I think he's the weakest of the 3 too.

And no I don't think Lesnar is best. Please.

I say Andy 1, Fedor 2, GSP 3.

Knippz
7/31/2009, 06:18 PM
Also, I don't see where being agressive makes you a better fighter than someone. I think not getting hurt or hit makes you better personally. (In response to Fedor finishes fights.....).

If it's any consolation, Fedor won more fights by decision than Anderson. (Though he has 3 more fights...). Moot point.

KC//CRIMSON
7/31/2009, 06:31 PM
He fought Cro-Cop, Big Nogx2, and Fujuita in their prime. And Mark Coleman and Heath Herring were no where near washed up. You also have to consider the weight advantage in several of his fights with much bigger opponents.

He's finished off five former UFC champions and it would have been six with Barnett.

And you do realize that Sylvia was 24-4 and ranked number two when he fought Fedor?
And you do realize that Arlovski was 16-5 and ranked number four when he fought Fedor?
What happend after with these guys is irrelevant. Hell, their both still ranked in most peoples top 10 to top 15.

He has 22 wins inside the first round.
He has 3 wins inside of two rounds.
He has 6 wins inside of three rounds.

Save your ten fight comparisions: NO WAY can you argue Silva or GSP against that.

KC//CRIMSON
7/31/2009, 06:38 PM
Also, I don't see where being agressive makes you a better fighter than someone. I think not getting hurt or hit makes you better personally. (In response to Fedor finishes fights.....).

Dude, please. His last two fights against a lesser opponent was pathetic. If I stood there all night playing with someones toes, I'd be embarrassed.

What's he going to do against Forrest? Run all night? Hey, at least he won't get hit!

Knippz
7/31/2009, 09:06 PM
We'll see about that one...

tbl
7/31/2009, 09:24 PM
We'll get to see some good Spider action against Forrest. His last two opponents were scared softies that didn't bring anything to him. Look at all his great fights. When a fighter is bringing it to him, it flicks the switch and does something to him. Unfortunately it's Forrest this time, and I really like the dude.

How can you not like this guy?
DcvqMBWlAIY

tbl
7/31/2009, 09:35 PM
In regards to Fedor, I'm just glad that most of the Fedor nuthuggers are finally tired of his crap too... most of them. I'm not saying he's out of the #1 PFP rankings or not the greatest, I'm just saying I'm looking forward to him fading out of our consciousness. His own foolishness is going to tarnish his reputation forever and he'll eventually be a "what could have been" story instead of going down as the greatest. When I say eventually, I'm talking years down the road... but unless he signs with the UFC and starts fighting the best, that's it. Like it or not, the UFC pretty much has a monopoly on high quality MMA, and they did everything possible to sign this commie and he still wouldn't do it.

See ya, commie. Have a nice life fighting Jose Canseco and other quality opponents in Japan...

KC//CRIMSON
8/2/2009, 12:43 PM
We'll see about that one...

I don't know if Forrest is going to win that fight or not, no one does. I think he has just a good a chance as anyone.

Sooner_Bob
8/2/2009, 06:43 PM
I've never understood why anyone thought Tim Sylvia was a top 10 HW . . . even when he had the UFC HW belt. There's no way he was truly a #2 when he fought Fedor.

AA is like night and day. One fight he'll come out on fire and the next he's out before he breaks a sweat.

Knippz
8/2/2009, 07:29 PM
I don't know if Forrest is going to win that fight or not, no one does. I think he has just a good a chance as anyone.

That's a real big chance :rolleyes:

Sooner_Bob
8/3/2009, 01:05 PM
So Fedor signs with Strikeforce . . . (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Fedor-signs-with-Strikeforce-will-fight-this-fa?urn=mma,180418)

Fedor signs with Strikeforce, will fight this fall

By Maggie Hendricks

Well. This certainly changes things, doesn't it? Fedor Emelianenko, the number two fighter in Yahoo's pound-for-pound rankings, and the subject of contentious negotiations with the UFC, has now signed with Strikeforce. From the Strikeforce press release:

“I am looking forward to going back to work and fighting at the highest level," said the 33-year-old Emelianenko. During his nine year professional fight career, which included a four and a half year stay with the world’s former top MMA promotion, the now defunct PRIDE Fighting Championship, the Russian native has faced and defeated all comers.

The good: Fedor will fight soon, and he will fight on Showtime, more widely available to average American MMA fans than a pay-per-view. This will definitely bolster Strikeforce's reputation as a promotion as their willingness to co-promote with M-1 means that they beat out the UFC on getting Fedor. Co-promotion was a sticking point with Fedor and the UFC, as the UFC was willing to give Fedor every demand except for that one. This could also help Strikeforce attract up-and-coming heavyweights, as it seems everyone wants a shot at Fedor.

The bad: In Strikeforce, Fedor will likely face Alistair Overeem, Fabricio Werdum or Brett Rogers. As an MMA fan, I know that they are formidable opponents. But those names do nothing to rouse the interest of a casual fan, and any fight that Strikeforce can make will not get anywhere near the buzz as Fedor vs. Brock Lesnar would have.

What a joke . . .

Knippz
8/3/2009, 02:06 PM
So Fedor signs with Strikeforce . . . (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Fedor-signs-with-Strikeforce-will-fight-this-fa?urn=mma,180418)

What a joke . . .

Completely.

On a side note, BEFORE HIS NEXT OPPONENTS GET RANKED #2 in the world BY EVERYONE ALL OF A SUDDEN, every time Fedor get's a POSSIBLE opponent, they all of a sudden are good. Rogers - is basically the same as Paulo Thiago, one KO over a mid-level opponent. The only difference is, he is in a shallow weight division, and is seen as one of the top contenders for Fedor. He's still Paulo Thiago in a nutshell. Werdum - KO'd by a "up-and-comer" Dos Santos, yeah those same up-and-comers who can't present Fedor problems.

These guys aren't in the UFC for a REASON! Rogers is green. Could have a future in the UFC. Werdum gets KO'd and sent on his way.

WHO HAS OVEREEM EVER BEAT BESIDES VITOR BELFORT?!

I'll give you a list of people he's lost to:

Shogun x2
Baby Nog x2
Arona
Werdum
Chuck
Kharitonov

Ok, logically those are all good guys to lose to. Wait though, this is all in the LHW division! Does anyone believe that any of the guys on this list are as good as or better than Fedor? NO! So why does Overeem make such a great matchup? Not to mention that it's at HW. If he was getting KO'd by LHWs, why would he not get killed by Fedor?

The only reason I actually want to see Overeem fight Fedor is because he has better skills than anyone else outside the UFC.

I have NO IDEA how Rogers is a top prospect to beat Fedor in a lot of people's minds.

It's like when OU faced Boise State (hang me for bringing it up). Boise is an up-and-comer with an undefeated record. They played a down-OU team that wasn't a real title contender. Whoo-hoo, they beat us, now they are all of a sudden a national title contender?! NO!! They would have had no shot at beating Florida or Ohio State that year.

Anyway, here's to seeing the next 3 Fedor opponents suddenly finding themselves in the top 3 around the time they fight.

Knippz
8/3/2009, 02:56 PM
And just to add on that, I don't think Werdum or Overeem is bad. They are both good fighters. I think Overeem could present a couple of problems for Fedor.

At the same time, I don't think Lesnar is the guy that he's being made out to be by a lot of people right now. He is VERY green, has little experience, and wins fights because of his god-given abilities, not his MMA skills. However, those abilities are pretty heavy, and help him tremendously. With experience and a lot of training, Lesnar COULD be a monster in years to come. However, he's not on Fedor's level yet, and he may never be. But he still poses the most interesting match for Fedor, bottom line.

The overall HW division right now isn't "weak," it's YOUNG. These up-and-comers could all very well be very good fighters in the future.

Maybe it is a better thing that Fedor signed with Strikeforce. He can school 3 guys there, then, (hopefully, but I seriously doubt it) he would be done with his contract with M-1 and sign when the UFC's new guys have some experience and he has 5-6 fights waiting for him that are awesome matchups.

tbl
8/3/2009, 09:15 PM
:yawn:

Knippz
8/4/2009, 12:02 AM
:yawn:

Well that was mean. Penn or Florian? Silva or Griffin?

Knippz
8/4/2009, 12:03 AM
I'll take Anderson Penn, and BJ Silva.

KC//CRIMSON
8/4/2009, 11:38 PM
Scott Coker talks about Fedor Deal

If a line has been drawn in the sand between the promotion that most thought deserved Fedor Emelianenko and the promotion that actually got him, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker certainly doesn’t see it.

“Why would one fighter create a war?” asked Coker, after announcing Monday that he’d secured the services of the most sought-after fighter in the sport for three fights over one year. “I don’t think this will escalate like the fans like to gossip (it will).”

Emelianenko will debut for Strikeforce on Showtime in late October or November, said Coker, who agreed to a trio of co-promoted events with M-1 Global, which manages and promotes the 32-year-old heavyweight.

Similar provisions for co-promotion were laid out by M-1 during a four-day negotiation period with the UFC last week. However, the UFC said it could agree to all major terms but the co-promotion, which opened the door for Strikeforce.

If there was any doubt of Strikeforce’s No. 2 status as a viable promotion behind the UFC, housing the world’s No. 1 heavyweight should put that doubt to rest. Some believe the signing will also squash the good will between the two organizations, which have publicly shared their admiration for one another -- uncharacteristic in the promotional rat race.

In reality, the two promotions have not stepped on each other’s profit margins much yet. The UFC has cornered the pay-per-view market with the aid of well-placed and nurtured cable TV programming. Strikeforce has held six events to date on Showtime, a premium pay subscription channel, and has no immediate plans for a pay-per-view foray.

The Emelianenko acquisition could help change that, though. In addition, CBS (which is part of the Viacom family along with Showtime) is anxious to begin re-airing the sport in primetime as early as January to garner the promising ratings it got with Gina Carano and Kimbo Slice at the helm in 2008.

Coker, who communicates regularly with UFC President Dana White, remains optimistic of the relationship.

“I would hate to think this would be the catalyst for this to escalate,” said Coker. “To me, I’m still of the feeling that everything’s going to be OK. We’re running our business the way we’re running it and they’re going to continue with their successful business. I guess they say only time will tell.”

As for the deal itself, Coker was short on the details surrounding his agreement with M-1.

“The compensation package was very complex,” said Coker. “As you can imagine with Fedor, there’s foreign rights issues, licensing rights issues, sponsorship issues, domestic television issues, the (video) games –- there are a lot of things that are going to make up the piece of pies because with Fedor, there’s international revenue stream that come into play rather quickly.”

At first, Coker became a practitioner of co-promotion out of necessity. Litigation filed against Pro Elite in 2007 over the use of Frank Shamrock (Strikeforce claimed they had a contract with the fighter first) led to two co-promoted events, which aired on Showtime.

“We’re comfortable doing (co-promotion), and let’s face it –- Fedor is the greatest heavyweight in the world and he has been for some time,” said Coker. “How often does a free agent like that come on the market?”

Coker likened the partnership to Bob Arum and Oscar De La Hoya teaming up to promote the Manny Pacquiao-Ricky Hatton fight.

“They work out who’s going to be the front guy, who works out the venue deals, who works out the production, and then they go and do a co-promotion,” said Coker. “This happens every month in boxing.”

This whole thing is about one thing and one thing only.....$$$$$$$

He has a three fight contract with M-1/Strikeforce, it will be interesting to see what happens after it expires.

IMO - There's really only three fights left for Fedor: Lesnar, Barnett, Overreem.

tbl
8/5/2009, 12:22 AM
Well that was mean. Penn or Florian? Silva or Griffin?

I was referring to the news of Fedor signing to Strikeforce...

That said...

Silva
Ken Flo.... Yeah I said it!

OU4LIFE
8/5/2009, 07:45 AM
Hard not to pick Florian IMO, I know BJ has the skill set to be the man, but he's shown up too many times after half-asing his training for me to put any stock in him. You've NEVER seen Florian do that.

and I'm rooting for Griffin just cause he'll be the underdog.

KC//CRIMSON
8/5/2009, 03:15 PM
Randy Couture: Battle Has Begun Between UFC and Strikeforce

In addition to being one of the best fighters in MMA history, Randy Couture is known as one of the most knowledgeable observers of the sport, regarding both what happens inside the cage and the business side of the sport. He's also known for his longstanding quest to fight Fedor Emelianenko, so in a week when Fedor shocked the MMA world by signing with Strikeforce, Couture's thoughts are of particular interest.

And in an interview with FanHouse, Couture said that the big news coming ouf of Fedor's signing with Strikeforce is that competition is now brewing between the UFC and Strikeforce.

"The back-and-forth is starting now between the UFC and Strikeforce," Couture said Tuesday. "There were a lot of competitors out there for the UFC, and Strikeforce is the last one standing. So it was only a matter of time before the adversarial relationship started between them, I think, with the Affliction stuff and those contracts being up in the air and both organizations trying to sign those fighters."

Although Couture has always wanted to fight Fedor, he said that he knew the UFC would never accede to the demands of Fedor's company, M-1 Global, to be promotional partners.

"With all the things M-1 Global wanted, there was no way the UFC was going to get that done," Couture said. "I think [Strikeforce boss] Scott Coker's willingness to do a co-promotion with M-1 is what made the difference to allow Fedor to sign."

Some MMA observers have suggested that Fedor is ducking tough opponents by refusing to fight in the UFC, which has most of the world's top heavyweights under contract. But Couture said he thinks Fedor will have some big fights in Strikeforce.

"There are a lot of interesting fights there, like Alistair Overeem and Brett Rogers," Couture said. "Those are some big, strong heavyweights and it'll be interesting to see how Fedor looks against those guys."

Couture acknowledged that he wished he could get a shot at Fedor, but he seems to realize that his own contract with the UFC and Fedor's contracts with M-1 and Strikeforce make that exceedingly unlikely.

"I'm certainly not going to hold my breath," Couture said. "There was a window here when I thought he might sign with the UFC and I might get a shot at him. But like I said, I wasn't going to hold my breath, and contractually I'm bound to the UFC."

Still, Couture said that as long as Fedor is generally recognized as the heavyweight champion of MMA, he'll hope to step into the cage with him.

"I think most people consider him the best heavyweight in the world," Couture said. "The guy is very impressive, with what he did to Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski, and then going back to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and all the other people he's defeated. He wins his fights in pretty devastating fashion most of the time. Most people consider him the best heavyweight, and as a fighter, those are the people you want to fight. You want to fight the best guy."

Knippz
8/5/2009, 11:53 PM
Is it too much of a request from you guys to get that MMA predictions thread going? Please do. I love doing predictions on sports and on this site we all predict the same thing - da Sooners. And rightfully so. Picking da Sooners is like picking Silva or Fedor - safe pick, and super-reliable.

Anyway, please help get this thing going.

tbl
8/6/2009, 10:59 PM
I'm changing my pick to BJ.

tbl
8/6/2009, 11:10 PM
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventDetail.FightCard&eid=2209

BJ
Spider
Amir
Almeida
Pellegrino
Nelson
McRory
Sakara
Riddle
Sotiroblahblahblah
Lennox

Knippz
8/8/2009, 07:27 PM
I'm getting pumped for this fight! Really excited about this one!

Knippz
8/8/2009, 10:06 PM
0-3 so far. Wow.

KC//CRIMSON
8/8/2009, 10:57 PM
Nice dive, Forrest.

tbl
8/9/2009, 12:01 AM
You think? I don't think it was fixed, but man that was crazy. He was waaaay out of his element with the Spider. I hated for it to be Forrest, but I loved to see him back at what he does best... attempted murder.

Thank goodness BJ finally finished him. That crap plan from Flo was killing me.

tbl
8/9/2009, 12:07 AM
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventDetail.FightCard&eid=2209

BJ
Spider
Amir
Almeida
Pellegrino
Nelson
McRory
Sakara
Riddle
Sotiroblahblahblah
Lennox

I meant to revise this. Once I realized Amir was fighting Henricks from Okie State, I knew he'd lose. That dude is good (even though it was an early stoppage). I didn't realize he was the same guy I'd seen on Inside MMA and some Japan fights.

If you guys will let me have that one back, I only lost 2. ;)

KC//CRIMSON
8/9/2009, 01:20 AM
You think? I don't think it was fixed, but man that was crazy.

The mysterious three inch falling away slap KO...........he didn't get knocked out, he flat out quit. Then he jumps up and sprints out of the ring all the way back to the locker room. What a joke.

Knippz
8/9/2009, 02:49 AM
The mysterious three inch falling away slap KO...........he didn't get knocked out, he flat out quit. Then he jumps up and sprints out of the ring all the way back to the locker room. What a joke.

Forrest got hit with a FLUSH straight right, something boxers do all the time, and Chuck Liddell did it to Vernon White. It's not abnormal.

Did you stop to consider that Forrest got seriously injured in the face? Rumors are that he got his jaw dislocated while he was getting decimated on the ground. My instant reaction to him leaving immediately was to get medical attention.

C'mon man. I really started respecting your posts, but this is ridiculous. I don't go around saying the Arlovski-Fedor fight was fixed, even though it looked just as "unbelievable" as the Forrest one.

The only joke is people accusing the fight of being fixed.

Knippz
8/9/2009, 02:49 AM
I meant to revise this. Once I realized Amir was fighting Henricks from Okie State, I knew he'd lose. That dude is good (even though it was an early stoppage). I didn't realize he was the same guy I'd seen on Inside MMA and some Japan fights.

If you guys will let me have that one back, I only lost 2. ;)

Yeah, you were sick on the picks tonight man. I did terrible!

Knippz
8/9/2009, 03:04 AM
Great night of fights. Too bad no matter what the guy does, he still gets discredited on some basis.

Knippz
8/9/2009, 03:05 AM
Double post. But wow man. Just wow. Incredible.

KC//CRIMSON
8/9/2009, 12:22 PM
Forrest got hit with a FLUSH straight right, something boxers do all the time, and Chuck Liddell did it to Vernon White. It's not abnormal.

Did you stop to consider that Forrest got seriously injured in the face? Rumors are that he got his jaw dislocated while he was getting decimated on the ground. My instant reaction to him leaving immediately was to get medical attention.

C'mon man. I really started respecting your posts, but this is ridiculous. I don't go around saying the Arlovski-Fedor fight was fixed, even though it looked just as "unbelievable" as the Forrest one.

If he actually did dislocate his jaw prior to getting knocked out/quitting then that's one thing. No one watching that fight would have known that. It didn't help or make any sense that he would dart out of the ring for medical attention when they have several ring side doctors on hand.

tbl
8/9/2009, 01:06 PM
He didn't bolt b/c of medical attention. When Rashad beat him and took his belt, he basically did the same thing. He's an emotional dude...

tbl
8/9/2009, 01:07 PM
He didn't bolt b/c of medical attention. When Rashad beat him and took his belt, he basically did the same thing. He's an emotional dude...

tbl
8/9/2009, 01:09 PM

Sooner_Bob
8/9/2009, 01:30 PM

I'm a huge Forrest Griffin fan and that is the first thing I thought of . . .

How can you honestly compare Fedor catching AA as he jumped for a superman punch with one of the most memorable KOs ever to Silva picking apart Forrest and then Forrest realizing he was beaten and quitting?

Sooner_Bob
8/9/2009, 01:33 PM
Great night of fights. Too bad no matter what the guy does, he still gets discredited on some basis.

IMO great is a stretch . . . neither co-main event lived up to any of the hype.

I enjoyed Sengoku 9 as much or more than UFC 101.

KC//CRIMSON
8/9/2009, 01:37 PM
Not saying it isn't true, but I have yet to find one credible source about Forrest having a broken/dislocated, jaw. Not one.

KC//CRIMSON
8/9/2009, 01:40 PM
IMO great is a stretch . . . neither co-main event lived up to any of the hype.

I enjoyed Sengoku 9 as much or more than UFC 101.

Yep, pretty boring card. Hey, that aggy might turn out to be an okay fighter.

Knippz
8/9/2009, 01:43 PM
Not saying it isn't true, but I have yet to find one credible source about Forrest having a broken/dislocated, jaw. Not one.

So if Forrest isn't hurt then it's a fix?

Dude, watch the fight in slow motion. Forrest gets hit with nasty shots. The "slap to the face" you talked about was a straight right to the temple that shook Forrest's skin/hair. Perhaps he felt Andy's power. When Forrest got dropped, he fully extended for 2 punchs because Andy was standing with his hands down. Andy dodges those, and Forrest's momentum carried him into the straight right to the temple. Game over.

Knippz
8/9/2009, 01:48 PM
And yes, it was a terrible night of fights. My emotions were high, and that made me high apparently. 2 good fights. Weak card.

KC//CRIMSON
8/9/2009, 01:55 PM
So if Forrest isn't hurt then it's a fix?

Dude, watch the fight in slow motion. Forrest gets hit with nasty shots. The "slap to the face" you talked about was a straight right to the temple that shook Forrest's skin/hair. Perhaps he felt Andy's power. When Forrest got dropped, he fully extended for 2 punchs because Andy was standing with his hands down. Andy dodges those, and Forrest's momentum carried him into the straight right to the temple. Game over.

Do you even read the board before you start your post gasms? I said he quit, the dive comment was a joke. Maybe YOU need to watch in slo motion. He gets hit on the cheek, not the temple, regardless he quit.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8728/silvagriffin3s.gif

Knippz
8/9/2009, 02:17 PM
Do you even read the board before you start your post gasms? I said he quit, the dive comment was a joke. Maybe YOU need to watch in slo motion. He gets hit on the cheek, not the temple, regardless he quit.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8728/silvagriffin3s.gif

I didn't take your dive comment as a joke. He did quit. I do read. Thanks for posting the GIF btw. And I watched it in slo-mo last night. Looks like straight to the eye socket with a little bit of cheek and maybe caught some temple.

KC//CRIMSON
8/9/2009, 03:42 PM
Forrest Griffin’s Jaw Not Injured In UFC 101 KO Loss to Anderson Silva
Posted by Kris Karkoski on Aug 9, 2009 at 2:26 pm ET34 Comments

Forrest Griffin knocked out by Anderson Silva at UFC 101Rumors circulated on Sunday that Forrest Griffin’s run from the Octagon following his first-round knockout loss to Anderson Silva on Saturday at UFC 101 was due to a broken or dislocated jaw. However, according to Joe Ferraro of Sportsnet’s “MMA Connected”, Griffin’s jaw is “fine”:

Source has confirmed that the reports that Forrest has a broken jaw and was the reason he ran out of the octagon are false. His jaw is fine.

Sooner_Bob
8/9/2009, 09:36 PM
These guys are saying it was dislocated . . . (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxingandmma/5998996/Forrest-Griffin-camp-reveal-dislocated-jaw-as-Anderson-Silva-contemplates-Lyoto-Machida.html)

Forrest Griffin camp reveal dislocated jaw as Anderson Silva contemplates Lyoto Machida
The mystery of Forrest Griffin's jog from the Octagon in Philadelphia immediately after being knocked out spectacularly by Anderson Silva at UFC 101 was clarified Sunday when the American's camp revealed he had suffered a dislocated jaw after being struck by the supremely-gifted Brazilian.

By Gareth A Davies
Published: 1:02PM BST 09 Aug 2009
Forrest Griffin camp reveal dislocated jaw as Anderson Silva contemplates Lyoto Machida
Full throttle: Anderson Silva battles Forrest Griffin during their light heavyweight bout Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Griffin was roundly criticised in the hours following the fight, and for failing to show at the post-event news conference, but Griffin had been taken to the hospital for checks, unable to hear in one ear, and in order to get his jaw checked.

The demolition of Griffin was staggering in both its simplicity, and enactment. Silva, the 185lb UFC champion, fighting Griffin at light-heavyweight, measured the American up for the first minute of the fight, and he now does with all his rivals.

Silva circled his prey and was hardly touched by Griffin during the three and a half minutes the contest lasted in the opening round of a fight scheduled for three periods.

Silva had landed first with a right hook in the second minute, then an upper cut, two straight left hands down the pipe, and had Griffin on the ground.

Clean, accurate strikes. Griffin threw and struck, but landed with little. After some ineffective ground and pound, Silva called Griffin to his feet.

Griffin fought back, but was clearly dazed and confused. Silva, his hands hung low, called Griffin in for a toe-to-toe war, and ended the contest with a countering left jab/left cross which put Griffin on his back, clearly hurt, and finished. Immediately afterwards, Griffin jogged from the arena with his management team.

The natural follow-up to this performance by Silva will be the potential match-up between 'The Spider' and Lyoto Machida, the incumbent UFC light-heavyweight champion. It is a fight the fans, and the sport, must see within the next year. No one has found a way - yet - of unlocking Machida.

Silva, across two weight divisions, may be just the man.

Sooner_Bob
8/9/2009, 09:38 PM
Silva to vacate MW title? (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-silva080909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

PHILADELPHIA – Hours after the most electrifying domination in a career filled with them, deep in a back hallway of the Wachovia Center, Anderson Silva was waiting for Dana White. Silva is the UFC’s middleweight (185-pound) champion but Saturday he boldly moved up 20 pounds and in a jaw-dropping exhibition, brutalized Forrest Griffin, who just nine months ago was the light heavyweight (205) title holder.

Silva knocked Griffin down twice, offered a hand to help him up once and then promptly floored him again for good at 3:23 of the first round of UFC 101. Most remarkably, he did it with a punch he threw while backpedaling.

It was a complete annihilation. Griffin failed to land a single punch and when he came to his senses, he sprung up and ran from the octagon, trying to push through a doctor’s examination.

“He might be in Georgia by now, he ran out and I haven’t seen him since,” White, the UFC president, joked.

That Silva could move up a weight class and not just win, but destroy with power, was a game-changing and perhaps UFC-altering moment. That’s what Silva and his manager, Ed Soares, wanted to discuss with White.

With his arm wrapped around White’s shoulder, Soares leaned in and delivered a proposition. “Spider” Silva would move permanently to light heavyweight, even if it meant the unorthodox move of giving up his middleweight belt.

“I can do that,” White smiled, a bit stunned at the offer. “I like that. We can do that.”

Soares smiled and shook White’s hand. Silva had been accosted by a fan by then and couldn’t hear White, but it was presumably the news he was seeking. The man has such outrageous confidence in his abilities he’s willing to potentially toss away a championship he’s owned for almost three years to take a challenge outside his comfort zone.

“I’d let him,” White said later, sitting in his quiet dressing room. “We’d put [the middleweight title] up for grabs.”

The hour was late and everyone’s excitement was still high. Perhaps plans and goals change by morning, so White didn’t know what to say officially. This was still just hurried talk. He knew this much though, as a promoter there are more blockbuster fights for Silva at 205 than 185, where he’s beaten everyone of note.

Silva’s next title defense was supposed to be against Dan Henderson, who Silva savagely choked out in March 2008.

“Who knows,” White said, wheels already spinning. “We’ll see what happens. In the talks I’ve had with Anderson, he wants to take on the best in the world. He’s the most talented fighter in the world, the best pound for pound fighter and it’s a joke to say anyone else is. And he wants to continue to prove [it].”

White thought for a moment.

“He would jump in that mix [at the top of the light heavyweight division],” White said. “You’ve got Rashad [Evans], you’ve got Rampage [Jackson], [Lyoto] Machida is the champion. And Tito [Ortiz] is in the mix now.”

If Silva did vacate the middleweight title to move up full time, the ironic thing is that he claims it wouldn’t be to pursue the light heavyweight belt. At least as long as it was held by Machida, a fellow Brazilian and training partner.

“Lyoto is my friend, he is my brother and there is no way that fight will ever happen,” Silva said.

White, coveting a clash between two men who are both unbeaten in UFC competition, brushes that talk aside.

“I’ll make it happen,” White said winking his eye. “It’s not even about money. It’s about proving you’re the best, it’s about securing your place in history. It’s about putting on a super fight that fans want to see.

“I’m all about making big fights that fans want to see.”

Saturday was one of those fights. Silva was motivated by criticism that his last two fights – both victories mind you ¬– were dull, so he gladly moved up to take on a dangerous Griffin, who was known for his attack dog style.

It was intriguing, at least until Silva started toying with Griffin. He knocked Griffin down at will, dared him to connect with a punch, challenged him to be as tough as his reputation and then finally just finished him.

Coming in there was a “Rocky” element to the fight, Griffin the heavy underdog with the Philly crowd firmly behind him and booing Silva. By the end, Griffin was gone and Silva was being cheered. It was the recognition of brilliance overcoming any easy Hollywood storylines.

“He wants to be involved in the biggest fights we can put together,” Soares said.

The fact Silva took this fight is a testament to that. The Brazilian is 25-4 overall and has won all 10 of his fights in the UFC. At age 34, he could’ve sat at middleweight and potentially won 10 more, making nice money with relatively little risk in a division he’s been untouchable in.

That isn’t him though. Not even close.

So not long after stunning the sport with a legendary performance, there he and his manager were, trying to force a back-hall huddle with the UFC kingmaker. Move Silva to light heavyweight for good, they suggested to White.

With nothing left to prove at middleweight, Anderson Silva now wants to lay waste to a whole new division of the UFC. He doesn’t need a belt to prove a thing.

tbl
8/9/2009, 09:41 PM
I'm not personally looking forward to Machida/Spider. They're my two favorite fighters and I just don't think stylistically it will be a good fight.

That said, Anderson Silva should easily be the P4P best fighter out there. He never should have been dropped IMO.

Sooner_Bob
8/9/2009, 09:41 PM
I really want to see Hendo and Silva go at it one more time before he jumps to 205 full time.

tbl
8/9/2009, 09:42 PM
I agree totally. I still think Hendo poses some problems for him, and he kind of owes it to Dan to give him a rematch.

Sooner_Bob
8/9/2009, 09:43 PM
And is it just me or do the WEC productions on versus seem to take forever. I can't believe they keep giving these shows only two hours. Unless something happens this thing is going to go over . . . AGAIN.

Knippz
8/9/2009, 10:49 PM
Eek. Torres got ktfo'd. Looks like Machida will move up to top 4 P4P.

Knippz
8/9/2009, 10:51 PM
I'm not personally looking forward to Machida/Spider. They're my two favorite fighters and I just don't think stylistically it will be a good fight.

That said, Anderson Silva should easily be the P4P best fighter out there. He never should have been dropped IMO.

Agreed and agreed!

KC//CRIMSON
8/10/2009, 01:49 AM
These guys are saying it was dislocated . . . (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxingandmma/5998996/Forrest-Griffin-camp-reveal-dislocated-jaw-as-Anderson-Silva-contemplates-Lyoto-Machida.html)

http://www.mmanews.com/ufc/Update-On-Forrest-Griffin-Broken-Jaw-Rumor.html

UFC 101: Forrest 'not injured' confirms his boxing coach

By Gareth A Davies Boxing and MMA Last updated: August 9th, 2009
No Comments Comment on this article
Initial fears that Forrest Griffin had a suspected dislocated or even fractured jaw after being hit on the mandibular bone by Anderson Silva at UFC 101 in Philadelphia on Saturday night were allayed on Sunday when one of his coaches confirmed to a source working alongside Griffin’s team at the event that there has been no break, fracture or dislocation.
It is understood that after initial concerns, Griffin was found to have no injury. That includes concerns over his his hearing. But his spirit was clearly broken.
Griffin exited the Octagon and arena at a jog after being knocked down three times in the first round, signalling ‘no mas’ on the ground after being put down for the third time by a left jab cum left cross by the silky Spider Silva.
There will be moves after Silva’s performance to pair him with Lyoto Machida, the UFC light-heavyweight champion, although Silva laughed that off at the post-event news conference, insisting that it was not possiblem because they are ‘like brothers’.

Boomer.....
8/10/2009, 08:20 AM
I'm way late on the discussion but that was a weak night of fights. Penn looked great against Ken-flo and the match-up against Diego should be awesome.

The Silva vs. Griffin fight was one of the most odd fights I have seen. With all of the showboating by Silva and Griffin not making contact with him even with his hands down just shows how dominate of fighter he is. When Forrest dropped, it looked like he was going to try and get up then just fell back down. Right after he gets up and runs off. I found it quite strange also especially for Forrest "tons of heart" Griffin. He just seemed to give up in that fight.

tbl
8/10/2009, 08:23 AM
Poor Forrest... I originally thought this would be a win/win for him, but it turned out to be a loss and a very bad loss at that... He just got embarrassed out there.

There are so many good fights for AS at LHW before he could face Machida, and I'd personally like to see him shove his fist down Rampages throat. I hope Dana doesn't force the Machida issue too soon. I could also see AS vacating his MW title so he could get out of the champions clause, then retire after his contract is done and box RJJ. Could be a crafty move by the Spider.

tbl
8/10/2009, 08:25 AM
I'm way late on the discussion but that was a weak night of fights. Penn looked great against Ken-flo and the match-up against Diego should be awesome.

The Silva vs. Griffin fight was one of the most odd fights I have seen. With all of the showboating by Silva and Griffin not making contact with him even with his hands down just shows how dominate of fighter he is. When Forrest dropped, it looked like he was going to try and get up then just fell back down. Right after he gets up and runs off. I found it quite strange also especially for Forrest "tons of heart" Griffin. He just seemed to give up in that fight.

Agreed on Diego/BJ. That's going to be a barn burner.

tbl
8/10/2009, 08:27 AM
RbyKZoiyriM

Sooner_Bob
8/10/2009, 11:31 AM
http://www.mmanews.com/ufc/Update-On-Forrest-Griffin-Broken-Jaw-Rumor.html

UFC 101: Forrest 'not injured' confirms his boxing coach

By Gareth A Davies Boxing and MMA Last updated: August 9th, 2009
No Comments Comment on this article
Initial fears that Forrest Griffin had a suspected dislocated or even fractured jaw after being hit on the mandibular bone by Anderson Silva at UFC 101 in Philadelphia on Saturday night were allayed on Sunday when one of his coaches confirmed to a source working alongside Griffin’s team at the event that there has been no break, fracture or dislocation.
It is understood that after initial concerns, Griffin was found to have no injury. That includes concerns over his his hearing. But his spirit was clearly broken.
Griffin exited the Octagon and arena at a jog after being knocked down three times in the first round, signalling ‘no mas’ on the ground after being put down for the third time by a left jab cum left cross by the silky Spider Silva.
There will be moves after Silva’s performance to pair him with Lyoto Machida, the UFC light-heavyweight champion, although Silva laughed that off at the post-event news conference, insisting that it was not possiblem because they are ‘like brothers’.

Oh well . . . that would have at least helped me make some sense of how things went down.

Now I'm still not sure how to take Forrest's performance.

Sooner_Bob
8/10/2009, 11:33 AM
RbyKZoiyriM

How long ago was this?

tbl
8/10/2009, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure, but it has to be some time ago. Just ran across it on youtube. I still believe it shows his skills pretty well though. People who just automatically dismiss Silva as a boxer are crazy.

Knippz
8/10/2009, 01:17 PM
2005, between Pride and the UFC. The guy he fought was also in his 1st pro boxing match. But supposedly Anderson is quite the boxer in the gym, with 4 years of training since that fight happened. I've seen some articles online of people saying he's made some current boxers look bad in the gym.

We'll see though.

KC//CRIMSON
8/10/2009, 03:45 PM
Not that it's any biggie, but here's Fedor sparring with the current undefeated cruiserweight Denis Lebedev who just smashed the WBO intercontinental title champion.

http://www.bokser.org/content/2009/07/11/093531/index.jsp

Sooner_Bob
8/10/2009, 04:34 PM
Anyone else hear something about Fedor having an exhibition match here pretty quick with Werdum?

TMcGee86
8/10/2009, 04:48 PM
There are def some interesting fights for AS at 205, but I was hoping he would go the other way and fight GSP. Not sure he could cut enough or if GSP could gain enough, but I think that would be an exciting fight to watch.

KC//CRIMSON
8/10/2009, 04:48 PM
Anyone else hear something about Fedor having an exhibition match here pretty quick with Werdum?

He's having an exhibition with Mousasi in Kansas City.

Boomer.....
8/10/2009, 04:54 PM
There are def some interesting fights for AS at 205, but I was hoping he would go the other way and fight GSP. Not sure he could cut enough or if GSP could gain enough, but I think that would be an exciting fight to watch.

GSP would have to come up to 185. Silva walks around at 215-220 so he even has to cut weight to fight LHW.

Sooner_Bob
8/10/2009, 05:00 PM
He's having an exhibition with Mousasi in Kansas City.

ahhhh. Thanks. I'm not sure why I thought it was Werdum.

Sooner_Bob
8/10/2009, 05:01 PM
Speaking of Kansas City, any King Mo v Don Frye predictions?

KC//CRIMSON
8/10/2009, 05:06 PM
Speaking of Kansas City, any King Mo v Don Frye predictions?

Frye pulled out of the fight, don't know who is replacing him.....

Knippz
8/10/2009, 11:17 PM

He's now fighting Mark Kerr (15-10).

Knippz
8/10/2009, 11:34 PM
Not that it's any biggie, but here's Fedor sparring with the current undefeated cruiserweight Denis Lebedev who just smashed the WBO intercontinental title champion.

http://www.bokser.org/content/2009/07/11/093531/index.jsp

Fedor looks dark! Must've got a tan in Cali while he was there. :hot:

tbl
8/11/2009, 06:53 AM
Frye pulled out??? What the mess??? They were both on Inside MMA talking trash left and right. Fighting Mark Kerr is even worse than Frye... Come on Mo...

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 08:58 AM

Dang . . . all the smack talk on Inside MMA was for nothing.

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 08:58 AM
Frye pulled out??? What the mess??? They were both on Inside MMA talking trash left and right. Fighting Mark Kerr is even worse than Frye... Come on Mo...

Way worse . . .

Knippz
8/11/2009, 01:26 PM
Can't wait for Mo to get dropped. Guy's a complete idiot.

Knippz
8/11/2009, 04:45 PM
C'mon KC and Bob, you know you want to make some predictions. :D

KC//CRIMSON
8/11/2009, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I'm taking Gina Carano & Gegard Mousasi.

Knippz
8/11/2009, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I'm taking Gina Carano & Gegard Mousasi.

I'll take Cyborg and Mousasi.

Your picture always makes me think you look like Fedor, or Fedor is posting on this site.

tbl
8/12/2009, 07:50 AM
I'm going with Cyborg... Don't know much about the rest of the fighters. What I do know is Nick Diaz is a stoner idiot.

Sooner_Bob
8/12/2009, 08:15 AM
I'm going with Cyborg... Don't know much about the rest of the fighters. What I do know is Nick Diaz is a stoner idiot.

Yes he is.

He has all the talent in the world to dominate, but can't put the weed down log enough to train and fight.

Sooner_Bob
8/12/2009, 08:20 AM
You guys do know you'll make all your picks and then the fight card will change . . . AGAIN.

:)

tbl
8/12/2009, 08:39 AM
Hey KC... Here's a new avatar I made for you. Much more fitting than what you currently have. ;)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/fixinchitlins/Spideravatarcopy.jpg

Sooner_Bob
8/12/2009, 10:54 AM
This made me laugh . . .

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/153284/runforrest.gif

TMcGee86
8/12/2009, 11:00 AM
that is awesome.

Knippz
8/12/2009, 01:38 PM
This made me laugh . . .

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/153284/runforrest.gif

OMFG that's HILARIOUS!!

Knippz
8/12/2009, 01:41 PM
Hey KC... Here's a new avatar I made for you. Much more fitting than what you currently have. ;)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/fixinchitlins/Spideravatarcopy.jpg

I don't think KC is going to be claiming it....sooooo thanks for the new avy!

Now me and KC can be opposites. We already butt heads enough.

KC//CRIMSON
8/12/2009, 02:30 PM

I like this one better.....

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t97/mma_zombie/chonan.gif

tbl
8/12/2009, 02:33 PM
I like this one better.....

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t97/mma_zombie/chonan.gif

That was a classic move. It cannot be denied.

Knippz
8/12/2009, 08:33 PM
http://i28.tinypic.com/if0ho9.jpg (http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/GifDetails.aspx?gid=10000347&tid=104)

Sooner_Bob
8/12/2009, 08:35 PM
That just looks like it had to hurt . . . bad.

KC//CRIMSON
8/12/2009, 08:40 PM
http://i28.tinypic.com/if0ho9.jpg (http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/GifDetails.aspx?gid=10000347&tid=104)

Unlike Silva, Fedor actually won his fight.

Zang!

Knippz
8/12/2009, 08:41 PM
Here's some funny ones.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2678/danafedor2withname.gif (http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/GifDetails.aspx?gid=10000805&tid=105)

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/30/fedordanagifu.gif (http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/GifDetails.aspx?gid=10000803&tid=105)

It's all a conspiracy! Forrest took a dive....
http://i25.tinypic.com/2ekr6ee.gif (http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/GifDetails.aspx?gid=10000809&tid=105)

http://i25.tinypic.com/2vbrdc2.gif (http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/GifDetails.aspx?gid=10000816&tid=105)

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t80/verb44/pride/FEdor.gif (http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/GifDetails.aspx?gid=10000786&tid=105)

http://ufc-gifs.com/ultimate_fighter_final/joe_rogan_funny.gif (http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/GifDetails.aspx?gid=10000778&tid=105)

Knippz
8/12/2009, 08:43 PM
:rolleyes:
Unlike Silva, Fedor actually won his fight.

Zang!

OOOOHHH SNAAAAPP!!! YOU GOT ME!!! :rolleyes:

Knippz
8/12/2009, 08:46 PM
Silva before the weigh-ins
http://i34.tinypic.com/vnp9oy.gif (http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/GifDetails.aspx?gid=10000484&tid=105)

KC//CRIMSON
8/12/2009, 08:47 PM
:rolleyes:

OOOOHHH SNAAAAPP!!! YOU GOT ME!!! :rolleyes:

Truth hurts, I know.

Knippz
8/12/2009, 09:27 PM
Truth hurts, I know.

Sherdog
1. Anderson Silva (25-4)
2. Georges St. Pierre (19-2)
3. Fedor Emelianenko (30-1, 1 NC)

"MMA's P4P best fighter Anderson Silva looking to take a page out of Boxing's P4P champ..."

"Anderson Silva Tops the MMA 2009 P4P Top 10..."

MMA Playground
#1 Anderson Silva 19.81%
#2 Georges St. Pierre 17.76%
#3 Fedor Emelianenko 16.51%

SI
1. Anderson Silva (25-4)
2. Georges St. Pierre (19-2)
3. Fedor Emelianenko (30-1, 1 NC)

Examiner
#1 Anderson Silva
#2 Georges St. Pierre
#3 Fedor Emelianenko

FIGHT! Magazine

1. Anderson Silva 2. Georges St-Pierre 3. Fedor Emelianenko

MSN
"Anderson Silva made it clear, he is no doubt the pound for pound best fighter on the planet."

Still waiting on updated Yahoo rankings...

Ahh...it only stings a little.

KC//CRIMSON
8/12/2009, 09:38 PM
BLA BLA BLA.....

P4P = "My Favorite Fighter"

Silva beats up a mediocre 205lber and his fans act like he knocked out Mike Tyson. Hilarious.

And last time I checked, just for schitz & giggles....

30-1 is still greater than 25-4

Knippz
8/12/2009, 09:53 PM
BLA BLA BLA.....

P4P = "My Favorite Fighter"

Silva beats up a mediocre 205lber and his fans act like he knocked out Mike Tyson. Hilarious.

And last time I checked, just for schitz & giggles....

30-1 is still greater than 25-4

Fedor beats 20 below-mediocre guys and a few GOOD fighters, and fans act like he's Jesus. HILARIOUS!

Last time I checked, UFC (competition) is greater than Strikeforce (competition).

BTW, I'm willing to stop this at any point. You're the guy that posted the GIF.

KC//CRIMSON
8/12/2009, 10:00 PM
Fedor beats 20 below-mediocre guys and a few GOOD fighters, and fans act like he's Jesus. HILARIOUS!

Last time I checked, UFC (competition) is greater than Strikeforce (competition).

BTW, I'm willing to stop this at any point. You're the guy that posted the GIF.

He's actually pummeled quite a few good fighters and has never lost. When you can do stuff like that people tend to think your the best and "God" like.

I don't care where he fights as long as he's still fighting and not retiring.

All it took was a gif to set you off? Thin skinned are we?

Knippz
8/12/2009, 10:14 PM
He's actually pummeled quite a few good fighters and has never lost. When you can do stuff like that people tend to think your the best and "God" like.

I don't care where he fights as long as he's still fighting and not retiring.

All it took was a gif to set you off? Thin skinned are we?

Oh my gosh. This is ridiculous.

I have a proposal for you. We obviously have had tension since I started posting on the MMA board, butting heads on the exact same subject every time. It also happens to be a subject that cannot be technically proven, unless the 2 ever fight, which won't happen.

So here is my proposal - we stop arguing. I won't say anything negative about Fedor, you don't say anything negative about Andy (unless either loses or does something outrageously stupid, ala Rampage).

We disagree on one point, and it's who is the better fighter. We are both die-hard Sooner fans, but disagree on MMA. Not a big deal to me. I have tried to be friendly with you a couple of times, some to avail and some not.

Regardless, I'm willing to stop and be friendly. What do you think?

Knippz
8/12/2009, 10:24 PM
Alrovski talks about Fedor, Brock. Says Fedor isn't best P4P, Brock is. Guy is dillusional after getting KO'd too much.

At 2:10 and 27:20.

(hard to embed youtube on iphone...working..)

Conclusion - can't get to embed on iPhone. I'll give the link for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs2NMuRp_sg

KC//CRIMSON
8/12/2009, 10:25 PM
I don't take this stuff seriously at all. AT ALL. You could post a thousand gifs of Fedor blowing a russian goat and I wouldn't care. Most of the the time I'm just screwing around on here anyway. But I'm not about to stop talking about any fighter regardless of who it is, I would expect the same from everyone else.

Knippz
8/12/2009, 10:37 PM
I don't take this stuff seriously at all. AT ALL. You could post a thousand gifs of Fedor blowing a russian goat and I wouldn't care. Most of the the time I'm just screwing around on here anyway. But I'm not about to stop talking about any fighter regardless of who it is, I would expect the same from everyone else.

That's all good and well, and I agree it's not serious. But the constant arguments will continue. Whatev

tbl
8/13/2009, 07:51 AM
I won't stop. Fedor is a commie moron that's more scared of the UFC than he is the Russian mob. ;)

In all honesty, at this point I truly believe Silva would have a very good chance at beating Fedor. He's much faster than anybody Fedor has ever fought and he's elusive as mess.

Now if KC wants to remain one of the few Fedor faithful, more power to him. :D

Also, regarding Silva's losses, they were all many moons ago over in Japan. Dude hasn't lost in some years now and it would be foolish to argue that he hasn't developed into a much more complete fighter since he came to the UFC. He was already on his way in Pride until the flying heel hook (he was flat dominating that fight up until that point).

Sooner_Bob
8/13/2009, 08:16 AM
Fedor is a great HW. I just think people have a hard time justifying the GOAT label after looking at some of his wins.

I still wish we could've seen what would've happened if Lindland would've gotten the takedown . . . freakin' Fedor had to go and grab the ropes.

Knippz
8/13/2009, 09:53 AM
Geez, and I thought I was harsh. I'd join the trend of Andy>Fedor, but I've already made my case many times.

theresonly1OU
8/13/2009, 10:28 AM
Oh my gosh. This is ridiculous.

I have a proposal for you. We obviously have had tension since I started posting on the MMA board, butting heads on the exact same subject every time. It also happens to be a subject that cannot be technically proven, unless the 2 ever fight, which won't happen.

So here is my proposal - we stop arguing. I won't say anything negative about Fedor, you don't say anything negative about Andy (unless either loses or does something outrageously stupid, ala Rampage).

We disagree on one point, and it's who is the better fighter. We are both die-hard Sooner fans, but disagree on MMA. Not a big deal to me. I have tried to be friendly with you a couple of times, some to avail and some not.

Regardless, I'm willing to stop and be friendly. What do you think?

You do realize this is the internet, right?

You can't take things this seriously; you'll stroke out.

tbl
8/13/2009, 11:31 AM
Fedor is a great HW. I just think people have a hard time justifying the GOAT label after looking at some of his wins.

I still wish we could've seen what would've happened if Lindland would've gotten the takedown . . . freakin' Fedor had to go and grab the ropes.

Concur...

I know the dude is great, but the GOAT moniker is definitely wearing off and mark my words, he will NOT go down as the GOAT. He's going to be a "what could've been".

Where it stands now, Machida has the best chance of becoming the GOAT, just b/c he's undefeated and so far there has been no answer to his skills. I personally believe Silva is the GOAT, and regardless of his past losses I believe he should be the GOAT if he continues on the streak he's been on and retire undefeated in the UFC at two weight classes. If somehow we get a Machida/Silva fight, that could well be the final say so for the next decade or so.

Who knows though? MMA is still relatively new, so we're kinda in the Jack Johnson days. Maybe not quite that early on, but we definitely haven't seen enough to come up with a consensus GOAT. Heck, is there even a consensus GOAT in boxing? Ali maybe? He had losses though, even in his prime. Marciano is the only dude to retire undefeated and I doubt there's many people waving the GOAT flag over him.

It's all opinion and speculation... However, I do know for a fact that Fedor is most definitely not the GOAT... ;)

tbl
8/13/2009, 11:32 AM
That is a record for GOAT's typed in any format anywhere in history... Mark it.

Knippz
8/13/2009, 11:34 AM
You do realize this is the internet, right?

You can't take things this seriously; you'll stroke out.

Absolutely. It doesn't bother me outside of posting here. I just don't like to argue with people I actually like.

And absolutely nothing can be more annoying (Internet-wise) than "45-35". This is nothing.

Knippz
8/13/2009, 11:36 AM
That is a record for GOAT's typed in any format anywhere in history... Mark it.

So should Anderson change it from the spider to Anderson "The GOAT" Silva?

Also, that's 9 GOATs. Anderson holds the current streak at 10.

Sooner_Bob
8/13/2009, 11:41 AM
Absolutely. It doesn't bother me outside of posting here. I just don't like to argue with people I actually like.

And absolutely nothing can be more annoying (Internet-wise) than "45-35". This is nothing.

You actually like KC?

Well there's your problem. :P

Knippz
8/13/2009, 11:44 AM
You actually like KC?

Well there's your problem. :P

I like all Sooner fans.

Except the ones that throw up the upside down whorns against a team that isn't *Texas.

Sooner_Bob
8/13/2009, 11:45 AM
I like all Sooner fans.

Except the ones that throw up the upside down whorns against a team that isn't *Texas.

I heard he does that . . .

All

of

the

time.

Knippz
8/13/2009, 12:02 PM
I heard he does that . . .

All

of

the

time.

I would think so. :P

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6040/upsidedownlonghorn.jpg

________________________________________^^^KC

KC//CRIMSON
8/13/2009, 12:54 PM
Heck, is there even a consensus GOAT in boxing?

Yes, Sugar Ray Robinson.

theresonly1OU
8/13/2009, 02:06 PM
I like all Sooner fans.

+1

tbl
8/13/2009, 02:47 PM
Yes, Sugar Ray Robinson.

He's definitely in the mix...

KC//CRIMSON
8/14/2009, 02:49 PM
The Long Winter

With over 30 fights across nearly a decade of professional mixed martial arts competition, Fedor Emelianenko’s already legendary career is entering its final stages. It is with this in mind that so many fans and industry analysts watch his moves, both in and out of the ring, with such intense scrutiny. It is why so many view his move to Strikeforce with emotions as strong and polarized as admiration and disgust, eager anticipation and indignant confusion. Yet, to cast a glance back at his career is to realize that Emelianenko has always been a bit of a mystery to fans, personally and professionally; a look at his fights to come reveals that his deal with Strikeforce may not be as inexplicable as it seems.

The Unknowable Man

Fedor Emelianenko is persistently one of the most enigmatic figures in the whole of mixed martial arts. Despite being a true juggernaut of this sport’s modern era, he remains unfamiliar to the vast majority of the sport’s fans. He possesses some of the greatest finishing power and fighting instincts among his peers, yet he maintains a demeanor that is, if not aloof and dispassionate, then perfectly serene, with a smile archaic as any muscled, unfeeling Greek sculpture.

Efforts to describe Fedor Emelianenko to the world have been ill fated and largely unsuccessful. PRIDE attempted to introduce him to American audiences with a fight card in Las Vegas; the poorly attended show was followed shortly after by the breakdown and dissolution of the revered organization. Fight promotions Bodog and Affliction hoped to pick up the reins, only to collapse under the peculiar weight of having too little—too little talent to match against Fedor, and too little money to continue operation. Most recently, high-profile negotiations with the UFC appeared to be ushering in an era of heightened prominence for the currently uncrowned heavyweight champion, only to fall short, with Emelianenko electing to sign with the promising, but unspectacular organization Strikeforce.

Given these developments, the mystery most prominent in our minds now must be that mystery of Fedor Emelianenko’s career. Specifically, how its latter days will speak to his legacy.

Why Strikeforce, Why not the UFC

Fedor Emelianenko’s three-fight deal with Strikeforce took a great many fans by surprise. It seemed like the collapse of the Affliction fight organization, assurances from Dana White, and “leaked” details of the contract offered by the UFC would put enough pressure on Emelianenko to make him finally sign up to fight alongside Brock Lesnar and Randy Couture. What so many fans didn’t count on was that Emelianenko has never been so skittish a negotiator as to take a less-than-ideal offer for fear of an extended absence from the ring; he has never been so concerned with Dana White’s opinions, promises, or influence as to feel pressured into making a decision; and the details of the contract, leaked to and revealed by Carmichael Dave, were absolutely false. This last point is particularly emblematic of the problems between the UFC (Dana White specifically) and Emelianenko. For the UFC to widely, surreptitiously circulate exaggerated details concerning money and concessions offered to Emelianenko demonstrates a gross lack of honor and respect. And it is this matter of respect that has been the sharpest bone of contention between the UFC and Emelianenko almost from the beginning.

Long before the matter of co-promoting events ever took center stage, Emelianenko and his management cited a lack of respect and professionalism as the source of their reluctance to do business with the UFC. As far back as two years ago, Dana White could be quoted on SportsIllustrated.com as calling Emelianenko and his party “crazy Russians.” Last winter, on Brazilian television, White essentially insulted Emelianenko’s intelligence and judgment of character when he claimed that Emelianenko was not in “control [of] his destiny.” In poor taste, he went on to say that their moves were “stupid,” with each decision being “dumber than before.” Since Emelianenko’s free-agency following the end of PRIDE, Dana White has called Emelianenko overrated, implied that he was a paper champion, and referred to him as a “****ing joke.” And, more recently, there were the leaked, false details of a contract: paydays so huge and concessions so generous that fans turned against Emelianenko when they heard that he wasn’t going to accept five million dollars per fight with the UFC. Without knowing the truth of the matter, fans called him greedy and delusional. Satisfied that public opinion had swung in his company’s favor, White never denied the claims, and instead seemed to fortify them when he insisted that Emelianenko was going to Strikeforce to fight “nobodies” for no money—assertions both baseless and uninformed.

Why would Emelianenko want to acquiesce to this man and his organization, which has repeatedly, doggedly badmouthed him to the press? It should come as little shock that Fedor Emelianenko and his management team decided to take a hard line with the UFC.

Dealings with Scott Coker and Strikeforce have been quite a different matter. One can imagine any amount of impassioned business negotiations behind closed doors, but Coker has been very careful not to publicly embellish his own magnanimity or damage Emelianenko’s reputation. However much he may have gnashed his teeth in the boardroom, Coker and his company have, with little to no audible resentment, consented to an apparently acceptable number of conditions. There isn’t much to say beyond that, which is, frankly, how it should be. To respectfully preserve the reputation and dignity of all parties involved, any drama at the negotiating table remained just that: at the table.

Strongest There Is

Let us respectfully acknowledge Emelianenko’s right and reason for declining employment with the UFC. Let us assume that, despite Dana White’s insistence to the contrary, the conditions Emelianenko received from Strikeforce are, financially, to his benefit. Even with all these doubts and concerns put to rest, there is still the matter of how well Strikeforce can provide for the world’s number one heavyweight in terms of talent. Are Strikeforce’s heavyweights enough of a challenge for Emelianenko? Will he be given just cause to flex? Or will he languish in his last years, putting the stamp on opponents that are, however eager, ultimately unworthy?

Will these last years characterize Emelianenko as an underachiever?

Probably not.

An objective comparison of the heavyweight talent pool in both Strikeforce and the UFC is the best way to come to an understanding on the matter. Sherdog’s Jake Rossen conducted a similar, truncated examination, and I agree with much of it.

Strikeforce’s heavyweight division may not benefit from the same level of hype or exposure that the UFC’s does, but this isn’t to say that it is any less rich on talent. In fact, both organizations’ crop of heavyweights could be characterized in the same way: talented, interesting, but unproven.

Strikeforce champion Alistair Overeem seems to have recreated himself with the move up from 205 pounds, marked by his destruction of former Strikeforce champion Paul Buentello. More recently, Overeem looked very impressive against Mirko Filipovic before that fight ended in a no-contest, with Filipovic claiming illegal strikes to the groin. And while he hasn’t defended the title formally, Overeem hasn’t lost a fight since claiming the title, either. Overeem finally looks ready to draw from what has always been a deep well of potential. Based on MMA credentials and talent, Overeem is just as legitimate a test for Emelianenko as UFC champion Brock Lesnar.

A fight with UFC champion Brock Lesnar sounds sensational, but disproportionately so. After all, it wasn’t so long ago when a different physically imposing up-and-comer had strung together a couple of head turning wins before being labeled the next great contender for Emelianenko’s belt: on New Year’s Eve 2006, Mark Hunt submitted to Fedor Emelianenko due to kimura in the first round. Brock Lesnar is an interesting opponent, but not a necessary one. At 4-1, with his biggest wins coming over an aging Randy Couture and an overconfident, typically disinterested Frank Mir, Lesnar is hardly the be-all-end-all of opponents, however large the pectorals surrounding his penis-sword tattoo may be.

This past June, Strikeforce's Brett Rogers knocked out former UFC champion Andrei Arlovski in the first round. Rogers attacked the outsized Arlovski with little apparent fear, showing himself to be as dangerous and imposing a figure as anyone. UFC heavyweight Shane Carwin has had a similar rise to prominence, staking his claim for title contention with a KO of Gabriel Gonzaga. For both fighters, there is still a question of consistency—will these most recent fights end up being the peak of their careers, or is it the beginning of a lengthy tour of the upper echelons? Gabriel Gonzaga himself had to face such a reckoning following his win over Filipovic, and with losses to Couture, Fabricio Werdum, and Carwin, his future looks hazy.

The aforementioned Werdum is an interesting addition to Strikeforce. His developing muay thai and formidable jiu-jitsu make him a mounting threat to any heavyweight. Though betrayed by a lack of focus in his upset loss to Junior dos Santos—a UFC heavyweight who is, along with Cain Velazquez, compelling but unseasoned—Werdum has always been a force in the division, and would be a noteworthy name on Emelianenko’s resume.

Having only signed a three-fight contract with the organization, Strikeforce doesn’t need to provide a hyped up pantheon of heavyweights for Emelianenko. Three legitimate heavyweights are what they need, and in Overeem, Rogers, and Werdum, three legitimate heavyweights are what they have. The UFC’s counterparts—Lesnar, Carwin, dos Santos, and Velazquez—are not any better or worse. The UFC may also count Cheick Kongo, Mir, Nogueira, Filipovic, and Heath Herring among their heavyweights, but Emelianenko has already soundly beaten these last three fighters. Meanwhile, Kongo and Mir have shown a crippling inability to succeed consistently. Beyond these men, there is Randy Couture, but a fight between he and Emelianenko may be more hype than substance. Emelianenko, for now, seems to be holding steady at peak physical condition, while Couture looked markedly aged in his last outing, with his deteriorating reflexes failing him in a title defense against Brock Lesnar. He is, simply, past his prime. Similar to a fight with Lesner, a fight between Emelianenko and Couture would be spectacular, but not for the purest of reasons.

With Strikeforce’s track record of collaboration and fighter trading, it’s very likely that matchmakers will be able to pull together just as many contenders equal to the UFC’s in talent and critical significance. A bout with hypothetical Sengoku champion Antonio Silva, Sergei Kharitonov, or Jeff Monson would be just as, or more interesting, than a fight with someone like the wrestling-prone Kongo. And while the UFC may have Couture, Strikeforce still has the option of pursuing a fight with Josh Barnett. A true heavyweight in his physical prime (however chemically enhanced that prime may be) Barnett is in fact a far more dangerous opponent than Couture, and would, in the long run, prove to be much more significant contribution to Emelianenko’s legacy.

In the end, Strikeforce’s heavyweight division, both current and prospective, is just as good as the UFC’s. Should Emelianenko’s next three fights prove to be his last, then the California-based organization is just as well equipped as anyone to provide worthy opposition for MMA’s wandering king.

What is it Good For?

Fedor Emelianenko’s move to Strikeforce is a positive step for mixed martial arts. It keeps competition between top MMA organizations lively, and encourages collaboration between organizations like Strikeforce and DREAM. This, in turn, exposes American audiences to great international fighters, and vice versa. On that note, Emelianenko’s deal with Strikeforce is good for the fans, too, whether they know it yet or not. Competition between the UFC and Strikeforce will lead to more intriguing rosters, more competitive pay, and, as a result, better athletes being better trained.

Of course, the deal is also good for Fedor Emelianenko, and this is the bottom line. After years of developing a name and reputation for himself, he has the right to secure what he views as financial security as the end of his career draws nigh. Emelianenko is no dummy, and for his “fans” to presume that either they or Dana White know better than the man himself what Emelianenko wants or needs is preposterous.

Fedor Emelianenko will retire as one of the greatest mixed martial artists that ever lived, heavyweight or otherwise. That he may do so discreetly, in Strikeforce instead of under the bright lights of the UFC, is almost fitting, having been paradoxically great and obscure through so much of his career.

OU4LIFE
8/14/2009, 02:55 PM
longest post ever.

KC//CRIMSON
8/14/2009, 02:59 PM
longest post ever.

+1

Sooner_Bob
8/14/2009, 07:23 PM
Gina looked pretty good at the weigh-in for tomorrow's fight. She actually made weight at 143.

KC//CRIMSON
8/15/2009, 10:01 PM
Gina looked pretty good at the weigh-in for tomorrow's fight. She actually made weight at 143.

I think Cyborg has a penis.

KC//CRIMSON
8/15/2009, 10:01 PM
Nice submission by Werdum

KC//CRIMSON
8/15/2009, 10:39 PM
I knew this guy was for real, but WOW. Mousasi is a freak.

tbl
8/15/2009, 11:42 PM
Poor Gina... I knew this was coming. Cyborg is just insanely vicious.

This is my first time to watch a complete Strikeforce and I gotta say... Heck of a production. I can't stand Mauro, or whatever his stupid name is, but the overall production was very impressive. UFC could learn some things from them, though that will NEVER happen.

KC//CRIMSON
8/15/2009, 11:46 PM
Poor Gina... I knew this was coming. Cyborg is just insanely vicious.

This is my first time to watch a complete Strikeforce and I gotta say... Heck of a production. I can't stand Mauro, or whatever his stupid name is, but the overall production was very impressive. UFC could learn some things from them, though that will NEVER happen.

Not in general, but this Strikeforce was better than UFC 101.

Knippz
8/16/2009, 01:27 PM
I knew this guy was for real, but WOW. Mousasi is a freak.

Dude, Mousasi has been a freak. I think he's definitely a top 5 LHW, maybe top 3 (though he's unproven against the absolute best). I personally have the guy right behind Andy and Lyoto at LHW.

KC//CRIMSON
8/16/2009, 01:32 PM
I don't know if I'm quite ready to put him in the top three yet, let's wait and see how he does down the road.

Dude is REALLY good for sure.

Knippz
8/16/2009, 01:39 PM
Strikeforce card was great. Good show, they are gaining my respect as a legitimate promoter. Legit competitor? No. But still good fights.

6/7/2009

Don't want to repeat myself so I'll just quote.

Knippz
8/16/2009, 01:40 PM
I don't know if I'm quite ready to put him in the top three yet, let's wait and see how he does down the road.

Dude is REALLY good for sure.

Of course it's premature to put him in top 3 now. But I think he'd stand a real good chance at beating or hanging with anyone in at LHW not named Anderson or Lyoto.

Sooner_Bob
8/16/2009, 02:16 PM
http://i25.tinypic.com/2ryom0m.gif

Sooner_Bob
8/16/2009, 02:19 PM
I wish they would've televised more fights . . . Gina did better than I expected, but I don't think she was getting hit with every punch there at the end. I actually think the ref may stopped it a bit premature. Even though Gina was turtled up it didn't look like every one of Cyborg's punches was making it through cleanly. IMO if that would've been two men he would've let it go a little longer.

Of course all Gina had to do was make a lame attempt to defend herself and it would've gone to the 2nd.

KC//CRIMSON
8/16/2009, 02:28 PM
I wish they would've televised more fights . . . Gina did better than I expected, but I don't think she was getting hit with every punch there at the end. I actually think the ref may stopped it a bit premature. Even though Gina was turtled up it didn't look like every one of Cyborg's punches was making it through cleanly. IMO if that would've been two men he would've let it go a little longer.

Of course all Gina had to do was make a lame attempt to defend herself and it would've gone to the 2nd.

He did her a favor by stopping the fight. She was on her way to getting wrecked.

Not that she really ever had a chance, but Carano totally screwed up when she had Cyborg in full mount and then she lets her up! Girls are silly.

Sooner_Bob
8/16/2009, 02:38 PM
Not that she really ever had a chance, but Carano totally screwed up when she had Cyborg in full mount and then she lets her up! Girls are silly.

I know . . . what was up with that? You stick with the gameplan unless something like that presents itself. Sheesh. Randy should've told her that.

tbl
8/16/2009, 10:36 PM
He did her a favor by stopping the fight. She was on her way to getting wrecked.

This... all of this...

Knippz
8/17/2009, 12:13 AM
So...Nog vs Couture. I am really, really split on this one. I want to lean toward Nog, but he really hasn't looked impressive in the UFC (and no, I'm not counting the Mir fight). Then there's always that chance that Couture shocks.

I'm also really split on Maia/Marquardt. And Jardine-Silva. Damn! This is an under rated card! Great match-ups! Much better than 101.

tbl
8/17/2009, 08:16 AM
Couture
Nate (though this is easily the toughest fight to pick)
Silva

KC//CRIMSON
8/17/2009, 12:14 PM
Heh, Chuck Liddell is going to be on the next installment of Dancing With The Stars.

Knippz
8/17/2009, 06:39 PM
Heh, Chuck Liddell is going to be on the next installment of Dancing With The Stars.

Maybe it'll help his footwork when fighting. :pop:

tbl
8/17/2009, 07:39 PM
Maybe... but I doubt it'll help his chin.

Knippz
8/21/2009, 11:43 AM
Lesnar vs Carwin in November. Tito and Coleman on the same card.

Sooner_Bob
8/21/2009, 05:20 PM
Couture
Marquardt
Jardine

Knippz
8/22/2009, 12:59 PM
I'm gonna go with Nog, ----, and Silva. I cannot decide on Maia-Nate.

Boomer.....
8/24/2009, 07:51 AM
I'm with tbl

Couture
Marquardt
Silva

Knippz
8/26/2009, 04:11 PM
Showtime: Fedor Emelianenko fights undefeated Brett Rogers in Strikeforce debut
by Dann Stupp on Aug 26, 2009 at 4:50 pm ET

Fedor Emelianenko (30-1) will meet undefeated Brett Rogers (10-0) in his Strikeforce debut this fall, officials from the organization's broadcast partner, Showtime, today announced.

Strikeforce, though, has yet to announce a venue or date for the event (possibly to curb the UFC from counter-programming the show).

Emelianenko, widely regarded as the sport's top heavyweight fighter, signed a three-fight deal with Strikeforce earlier this month, and company founder and CEO Scott Coker recently said Rogers or Fabricio Werdum would likely be the Russian fighter's first opponent.

Emelianenko was featured at a public workout today in New York City. The Emelianenko vs. Rogers matchup was revealed during the media and fan event.

While no date has been set, Coker recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Emelianenko's debut date had been moved from October to November.

Stay tuned for further updates on this story.

(Pictured: Fedor Emelianenko)

So...Fedor fights a guy that's 10-0 against 9 cans and Arlovski. Can't wait to see this one. :rolleyes:

Knippz
8/26/2009, 04:15 PM
Actually, this is almost as exciting as Anderson Silva vs Patrick Cote!

Knippz
8/27/2009, 09:45 PM
Ok, it's that time again. Please post your picks in the MMA predictions thread. THX

tbl
8/28/2009, 10:46 PM
This IS the MMA predictions thread. K thx... ;)

Knippz
8/29/2009, 10:50 AM
This IS the MMA predictions thread. K thx... ;)

Not the offishul one!

Knippz
8/29/2009, 11:35 PM
I'm gonna go with Nog, (picked Nate in predictions thread), and Silva.

Good night. :)

Knippz
8/29/2009, 11:37 PM
Nog looked great. Maia got KTFO'd. Jardine got owned as well. I totally saw the Jardine thing coming.

tbl
8/30/2009, 02:03 PM
On my live chat, I ended up changing my pick to Nog, but too late on here. What an EPIC fight. I'm hoping Nog gets a shot at Brock soon. The Nog of old (the same Nog we saw last night) would sub Brock. I know Mir is a bjj ace too and he beat Nog, but IMO Nog is on a whole other level with his bjj and his hands are much better (again, the Mir fight aside since I believe dude was running at 50% or less).

All in all, the night was loaded with the only stinker being the Vera fight (shocker, I know).

I couldn't believe the Maia KO... Brutality... That Nate will give Spider a handful and should make for an absolutely amazing fight.

Knippz
8/30/2009, 07:34 PM
I don't think Nog would do too well against Brock. I think it'd be similar to the Mir fight, unfortunately. I loooove Nog, but I just don't see it.

I do like Nog to beat Mir in a rematch for SURE.

And I still don't think Nate poses a big threat to Andy. Again, Nate looks good in stand up. NO ONE is beating Andy in stand up. No one.

tbl
8/30/2009, 10:47 PM
I know, but the fight will still be awesome.

Knippz
8/30/2009, 11:26 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/ws7ev7.gif (http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/GifDetails.aspx?gid=10000151&tid=107)
http://i44.tinypic.com/qns7le.jpg (http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/GifDetails.aspx?gid=10000733&tid=107)
http://i40.tinypic.com/33f5hs7.jpg (http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/GifDetails.aspx?gid=10000729&tid=105)
http://i40.tinypic.com/2iic2oi.jpg (http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/GifDetails.aspx?gid=10000726&tid=107)
http://i40.tinypic.com/j8dw5k.jpg (http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/GifDetails.aspx?gid=10000728&tid=107)

Knippz
9/8/2009, 10:23 AM
Gawd, I can't wait for Shogun-Machida!

Knippz
9/16/2009, 07:05 PM
Quarry, Condit, Guillard, and Maynard. Picks for tonight.

OU4LIFE
9/18/2009, 06:09 AM
nice job on the picks. Condit would have lost had that kid kept up his initial pace. Guillard was winning, but Nate's BJJ is just flat out nasty from ANY position. I like that kid more and more.

tbl
9/18/2009, 01:23 PM
So picks for tomorrow...

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventdetail.fightCard&eid=2277

Vitor (tough one)
Dos Santos (I prefer Cro Cop to win, but don't think he will)
Kampmann
Kos (though I'd like Trigg to win. Did anybody else know he's a Sooner? I didn't realize that until last night.)
Franca
Miller
McFedries
Miller

That's as many as I care to make.

KC//CRIMSON
9/18/2009, 01:34 PM
I predict there will be a winner and a loser in each fight.

Knippz
9/20/2009, 12:10 PM
So I totall types my picks in and didn't push submit. Oh well. Called Kampman losing though.

Knippz
9/22/2009, 10:48 PM
Rampage Jackson quits fighting.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16277/quinton-rampage-jackson-im-done-fighting.mma

Can't post story with iPhone.

Collier11
9/29/2009, 06:34 PM
What do you all who follow MMA more than I do know about Lawal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUreFvBDXK8

I just realized he was fighting, I went to school with him at UCO before I transferred to OU and he went to OSU I believe. He was a national champion wrestler in college, real nice guy, apparently UFC is looking at signing him. You guys know anything?

tbl
9/30/2009, 10:29 AM
He's good stuff. We def need him in the MW ranks to mix it up. He has a big personality too. As soon as he's available the UFC will scoop him up without question.

Collier11
9/30/2009, 11:18 AM
I think I read he only has 2 fights left on his current contract?

tbl
10/24/2009, 11:54 AM
Machida/Rua = Machida
Cain/Rothwell = tough call... I want Rothwell, but I'm picking Cain
Tibau/Neer = Neer
Joe Daddy/Fisher = Fisher
Rumble/Toshida = Rumble
Bader/Schafer = Bader?

I don't feel like messing with the rest...

KC//CRIMSON
10/24/2009, 11:42 PM
WAR SHOGUN!!

KC//CRIMSON
10/24/2009, 11:46 PM
Biggest fraud in MMA history. Un f-ing believable.

tbl
10/26/2009, 07:45 AM
It wasn't THAT bad. I can see why people would be upset, but you watch that fight on mute and you're not hearing Joe Rogan ooh and ahh over the leg kicks, you might notice Shogun getting hit in the face every time he threw a leg kick. They were counter kicks to the punches/kicks Machida was throwing. I'm not saying it was a clear victory for Machida, I'm just saying it wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be (ala biggest fraud in MMA history).

KC//CRIMSON
10/26/2009, 10:52 AM
It wasn't THAT bad. I can see why people would be upset, but you watch that fight on mute and you're not hearing Joe Rogan ooh and ahh over the leg kicks, you might notice Shogun getting hit in the face every time he threw a leg kick. They were counter kicks to the punches/kicks Machida was throwing. I'm not saying it was a clear victory for Machida, I'm just saying it wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be (ala biggest fraud in MMA history).

FightMetric: 49-47 Rua
Yahoo Sports / Cagewriter: 48-47 Rua
BloodyElbow : 48-47 Rua
USAToday: 48-47 Rua, 49-46 Rua
Savage Science: 49-46 Rua
ESPN / Jake Rossen: 49-46 or 48-47 Rua
MMA Fanhouse / Michael David Smith: 48-47 Rua
411mania.com: 48-47 Rua
CagePotato: 49-46 Rua
MMATorch : 48-47 Rua
MMAJunkie : 49-46 or 48-47 Rua
MMAMania : 50-45 Rua
5 Ounces of Pain : Rua (no score given)
Fightlinker : Rua (no score given)
MMAConvert: Rua ("Machida was given a gift")
ProMMA.Info: 50-45 Rua
Jordan Breen -- 48-47 Rua
Brian Knapp -- 48-47 Rua
Mike Fridley -- 50-45 Rua

you might notice Shogun getting hit in the face every time he threw a leg kick. They were counter kicks to the punches/kicks Machida was throwing

Not really. More often than not Shogun was landing while Machida was missing. What you see below happened over and over again. Machida knows he lost.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2iscwvt.jpg

Not that it matters, but DW and several fighters at the press conference said that Shogun won the fight. And yes, as far as "biggest fraud" it was. No other title fight in the UFC has ever been this despicable. Unanimous? F-ing please.

This is a huge black eye on the UFC imo and the judges are a complete joke. Shogun clearly won the fight and should be the LHW champion right now.

tbl
10/26/2009, 11:26 AM
In that pic, Machida is landing a leg kick. Don't you see Shoguns left foot come off the ground? That's my point. It was a counter fight, and both fighters were landing.

How does the UFC get a black eye? They don't hire the judges...

KC//CRIMSON
10/26/2009, 11:47 AM
In that pic, Machida is landing a leg kick. Don't you see Shoguns left foot come off the ground? That's my point. It was a counter fight, and both fighters were landing.

How does the UFC get a black eye? They don't hire the judges...

A black eye for the sport. In the same way boxing used to get a black eye for sometimes appearing to be "fixed."

Knippz
10/30/2009, 07:28 AM
I didn't think it was a bad decision. I really had no idea who had it at the end, as my card was 48-48 with a draw in one round. I would have been ok with either.

I loved the fight though. It was very technical, and it was nice to see Machida getting challenge. Shogun is back.

Now after Andy disposes of Vitor, I REALLY, REALLY want Andy vs Shogun!

Knippz
10/30/2009, 07:32 AM
If Shogun takes the rematch, which is of extreme possibility, a LHW Championship bout vs Anderson Silva may be the greatest match-up of all time. I'm getting chills just thinking about it.

KC//CRIMSON
10/30/2009, 10:03 AM
If Shogun takes the rematch, which is of extreme possibility, a LHW Championship bout vs Anderson Silva may be the greatest match-up of all time. I'm getting chills just thinking about it.

Why wait for a rematch? Have Machida vs Anderson now. Good thing the UFC has a "no excuse" clause so these two mojito drinking buddies can fight each other.

Collier11
10/30/2009, 10:23 AM
I am a little above casual fan of the UFC, I watch a bunch of the free events, I watch the reality show, and some of the Pay per view events. I didnt watch this fight but have seen highlights, it does appear that Rua won but I wouldnt call it a fraud.

What would be nice if it hasnt happened already though is for Dana to come out and say something or the judges to explain what they saw. That way atleast people are being accountable for their decisions

By the way, dont know if anyone cares but my buddy who I talked about on here before, Zac George, he just won a title belt and is still trying to work his way up to the UFC. He is 17-3 now and tried out for the last UFC reality show, he made it to the finals but Dana White personally told him he was too small, I sure hope he finds a way to get there, he is a little bad A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otfMiGSunv8

Knippz
11/4/2009, 09:51 PM
Fedor by 1st round submission. Cake fight.

KC//CRIMSON
11/5/2009, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't call an undefeated top ten Heavyweight a cake fight.

Knippz
11/6/2009, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't call an undefeated top ten Heavyweight a cake fight.

Ok. Let's watch how Fedor runs through Rogers, and then tell me it's not a cake fight.

Forrest Griffin wasn't supposed to be a cake fight for A. Silva either. Right.

Knippz
11/7/2009, 05:52 PM
Oh lord, Fedor's gonna slaughter this guy.

KC//CRIMSON
11/8/2009, 01:22 AM
Ok. Let's watch how Fedor runs through Rogers, and then tell me it's not a cake fight.

That sure was one hell of a cake fight.

tbl
11/8/2009, 11:52 PM
Fedor better win a couple more times and retire. The mystique is wearing off...

KC//CRIMSON
11/9/2009, 05:47 PM

Yeah, it wore off on the side of Rogers chin.:D

Knippz
11/10/2009, 11:04 AM
Other than the one point in the fight when Rogers had top position and was punching Fedor straight in the face, I saw no point where Fedor was in trouble. However, I was somewhat pleased that Rogers put up much more of a fight than anyone else has against Fedor lately.

The way I see it, there's only 2 ways to beat Fedor -

1) KO him on the feet
2) Hold him down and punch him until the fight is stopped (ala Lesnar-Mir 2)

Unless you are an incredibly technical and efficient striker with insane evasive skills, standing with Fedor is dumb. He's not super-technical, but he's extremely fast and accurate, and packs KO power with every punch. If he lands one solid punch, there's a great chance it's going to be a KO, or lead to the eventual end of the fight.

No one is submitting him, period. A decision win over him is possible too, but not likely.

One thing that stood out to me in the fight was Rogers' use of the cage, and Fedor looking like a fish out of water. That could factor into a possible loss for Fedor. I would imagine that would be Couture's only shot at beating Fedor (excellent cage control).

KC//CRIMSON
11/10/2009, 01:15 PM
Agree.

The only way he is going to get beat is if someone hits him the way he hits other people. However, as we have seen in the past and with the way Rogers was landing sledgehammers on his face on the ground, that may be easier said than done.

I personally don't think the cage was ever a factor, Fedor is just too strong and smart to be held for very long.

OU4LIFE
11/10/2009, 02:35 PM
I'd say that punch that Fedor landed would have knocked out about 95% of the hvwt fighters currently in MMA. Give Rogers some credit for still being half awake after that. That was completely and totally everything Fedor had, and he stepped through it, and it still didn't knock him out.

I think we'll see a lot more of Rogers.

tbl
11/10/2009, 02:45 PM
Dude that punch would have knocked out anybody on earth.

I hate to say it, but I believe Brock could beat Fedor if he avoided the submission... Not by a KO, but TKO ref stop from swarming him on the ground.

Knippz
11/16/2009, 03:09 AM

Not sure why you think that.

tbl
11/16/2009, 01:34 PM
The main event fights were pretty lackluster, but that undercard was LOADED with good fights. Ross looked awesome in his win, as did Matt Brown, though this was clearly the comeout party for Ross. Dude just looked great...

Boomer.....
11/16/2009, 01:54 PM
Pearson did look very good in his debut and I have liked Brown since TUF. Both were good fights. Haven't watched all of the fights because of the OU game but I have it on DVR.

KC//CRIMSON
11/16/2009, 04:26 PM
UFC Quick Quote: Brock Lesnar collapses in Canada, won't be better 'anytime soon'

"He's in rough shape, he's in really bad shape. He is not well and he is not getting any better.... He's very, very sick and he's going to be out for a while. He's got a lot of problems. He's got mono and he's got something else wrong with him. I know what's wrong with him, he just doesn't want me talking about it. He doesn't have cancer or AIDS or anything like this, (but) he's got some problems, man. He dropped up there and had to go to hospital.... He's not going to be getting well any time soon."

-- UFC President Dana White (via TSN.ca) gives the latest update on his ailing heavyweight champion, Brock Lesnar, during the UFC 105 post-event press conference. Lesnar was forced out of his upcoming title defense against Shane Carwin at UFC 106 on Nov. 21 because of an undisclosed illness, which was eventually revealed to be mononucleosis. Now it appears that the 32-year-old Behemoth is much worse for the wear, collapsing at a recent promotional appearance in Canada. He was already ruled out of his rescheduled bout against Carwin at UFC 108 on Jan. 2, 2010, and now it appears that his return will be open-ended as he recovers from whatever poison is in his system. In fact, White indicated that Lesnar, who is currently in a hospital in North Dakota, may have to go to the Mayo Clinic "to figure out what's wrong with this guy." Get well soon, champ.

and

Brock Lesnar Needing Surgery, May Never Fight Again

According to reports, Dana White is trying to get UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar into the world famous May Clinic and tells TMZ that Lesnar has some kind of intestinal disorder that will require major surgery.

White has told people that Lesnar is very, very sick. And he could never fight again. It is said that he had collapsed in Canada a week ago after going there to rest up after being diagnosed with mono.

People need to realize that it's possible the mono, which makes people sick for some time, is most likely the reason Lesnar collapsed. And people shouldn't hinge on the word "collapsed" either. As it may be that he was running a fever and the room started spinning and he fell over. So, its not like he went into a coma or started seizing.

Mono has been known to be vicious on people. Most people are sick for weeks with just the normal kind of mono, but it can get far worse. Which has to be what Lesnar has.

The intestinal issue, better known as a gastrointestinal issue, is something I am very familiar with. As I have a similar issue. I can tell you that if he has to have major surgery, he will heal very slowly.

The intestines, which would be where the surgery would take place, heal slower than any bone, muscle, etc. As organs that do so much for one to break down food and get to the bowels for it to, well, exit the body. Both the small and large intestine are very important to the body.

The one thing that will be noticeable is the loss of weight, which, as a fighter, is very important. He runs close to 270 when he fights, and if he goes down say, to 220, that is a significant weight advantage lost for Lesnar.

Also, right now if the intestines are not working well it causes the gallbladder to do a lot. Which, if it has to do too much, causes gallstones. It's possible that if it has to do too much, that it will completely stop working one day.

Which would make him end up having to take it out. It's not a terrible surgery, as it is usually done with lasers. I have had mine out, and the toughest part is the first week. I missed only two weeks of school and it took maybe 3 to 4 months for to be at 100 percent.

But I am not a professional athlete. Lesnar could do better if he has to have it taken out.

The intestines are something that you cannot play around with. Even after surgery and rehabbing to get better, there may not be a future as a pro fighter. Simply because the intestines cannot take punishment all the time.

As an MMA Fighter, people will go after his abdominal area. And if he comes back to fight, people will go straight for his weakness. You cannot blame them for that, as they are supposed to do whatever they have to do to win.

If it's legal, they will do it. Heck, sometimes they will even if it's not.

The intestinal area may take a lot to come back from, and through it all they will probably give him dexpanthenol and choline, which, when compounded, can really help the intestinal area break down food and help it move better through the intestinal tract.

It is given more commonly to people who have impaired stomach emptying, and it could work for Lesnar now.

Still, it is only to treat the intestines and not something that will heal them. Lesnar may never fight again simply for his health. He could either fight through the pain (literally) in every fight and for the rest of his life, as it will cause even more damage to the area. Or he could possibly let his intestines heal and live a normal life outside of the octagon.

Now, White has not been saying much. Just filling in the media little by little, while trying to keep things private. Which is understandable. And he claimed that he knew what was wrong with Lesnar but wouldn't reveal it.

Still though, if we ever see Lesnar in the octagan again I'd be surprised. But, if he does come back it won't be for a long time, maybe years.

Good grief! That sucks. I wonder if it has anything to do with roids?

tbl
11/17/2009, 12:41 PM
I never liked the guy, but this isn't good for the sport and I feel for him personally. Dude was becoming a force and you hate to see a phenomenal athlete go out like this, especially in their prime.

Boomer.....
11/17/2009, 01:42 PM
Very bad deal. The HW division will go back into the crapper now unless Dana plays the Kimbo card which it looks like he will be doing.

stonecoldsoonerfan
11/17/2009, 02:44 PM
Trainer says Lesnar heading home soon
By Steven Marrocco/MMAWeekly.com
36 minutes ago

Buzz up! 0 PrintThe fate of UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar has brightened considerably, his trainer told MMAWeekly.com Monday night.

Greg Nelson, Lesnar’s head coach and owner of Minnesota Mixed Martial Arts, said Lesnar has a bacterial infection in his intestinal tract, but his condition is improving.

“He should be home soon,” Nelson wrote via text message.

Lesnar, 32, was hospitalized in North Dakota last week after collapsing at his property in Canada, and was reportedly diagnosed with mononucleosis and an intestinal disorder.

At the UFC 105 post-fight press conference last Saturday, UFC president Dana White said Lesnar was “very, very sick” and would “be out for a while.” He planned to fly to Lesnar’s side and offered to send the fighter to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

On Monday, White was quoted on celebrity gossip website TMZ.com as saying Lesnar might never fight again.

Lesnar withdrew last month from a second title defense against Shane Carwin at UFC 106 when the illness first appeared.

Lesnar last fought in July where defeated Frank Mir at UFC 100 to retain his belt. He drew heavy criticism for a raucous post-fight speech where he mocked Mir and UFC sponsor Bud Light before promising to “get on top of his wife” that night.
----------------------------------------
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Ar_v7.2tD73EOIM7sC9WwdI9Eo14?slug=ys-mmaweek111709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

stonecoldsoonerfan
11/18/2009, 08:21 PM
UFC boss faces biggest promotional test
Dan Wetzel

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports 1 hour, 59 minutes ago

Dana White was supposed to spend this week promoting his Ultimate Fighting Championship 106 card at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. It was to star his biggest box office draw, heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.

Instead White flew Tuesday to Bismarck, N.D., showed up at the local hospital and found Lesnar, in heavy post-op sedation, while family and friends fretted about the future.

Lesnar had surgery to help solve a bacterial infection in his intestinal tract that helped cause the postponement of Saturday’s fight against Shane Carwin and left his long-term future in doubt.

“The family was worried big time, they were freaking out,” White, the UFC president, said Wednesday. “Brock was in big pain, he was hurting.

“We don’t know if he’ll ever fight again.”

White cautioned that things could still go either way. He could fight. He could not. No one knows at this point. Lesnar was resting Wednesday at his home in Alexandria, Minn. and was scheduled to visit the famed Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. early next week for a battery of tests.

“He had a hole in his intestine,” White said. “The (stuff) was leaking into his stomach. That’s what was causing him so much pain. That and he had abscesses.

“The doctor told him he hasn’t been right for a year. His immune system has been trying to fight this thing and that’s why he was susceptible to getting sick.”

That likely explains Lesnar’s original diagnosis of mono. He had been weakened to the point that he was unable to train for the Carwin fight for much of October. That prompted the original delay in the fight. Then last week, the intestinal problem flamed up and Lesnar was hospitalized.

“We’ll find out more next week,” White said. “We’re going to send him to the Mayo Clinic for a couple of days. I don’t know what to say. It’s looking better now than last week, but what that means, I don’t know.”

White said no decision would be made on setting up an interim heavyweight championship until he knew how long Lesnar might be out.

For White, the Lesnar illness is just the latest bit of unfortunate news for his promotion. After a record-setting summer highlighted by a reported 1.6 million pay per view buys for UFC 100 on July 11, which Lesnar headlined, there’s been a rash of injuries, illnesses and bad luck.

Lesnar is just one of three champions who have been forced to sit out for an extended period. Middleweight Anderson Silva is recovering from elbow surgery but will fight in February and welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre is still coming back from a groin injury.

In addition, light heavyweight draw Rampage Jackson bailed on a highly anticipated December fight with Rashad Evans to play “B.A. Baracus” in the “A-Team” remake. Jackson said he’s retired, although who knows how long that will last. Veteran heavyweight Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira is recovering from a staph infection. And popular former PRIDE champion Dan Henderson is unlikely to re-sign with the UFC, and could be heading for rival Strikeforce.

“This sounds crass but when you’re dealing with humans as your product, crap happens,” White said. “It’s no different in football or baseball. I always say, the only guarantee when my big toe hits the floor in the morning is that something bad is about to happen.”

White is rightfully hailed as a skilled fight promoter. He’s been the front man as the UFC has gone from bleeding millions to being worth an estimated $1 billion.

He’s in the midst of proving it like never before. There’s no better example than Saturday’s UFC 106, which had its Lesnar-Carwin main event postponed and then its other top fight, Tito Ortiz vs. Mark Coleman, get switched due to a Coleman injury.

Ortiz is now returning to the Octagon against Forrest Griffin, a rematch of a hotly contested 2006 match won by Ortiz on a split decision.

Likewise, headline fights were dropped from both December and January pay-per-view cards. And the current season of Spike TV’s the Ultimate Fighter, taped last summer, is promoting a fight between coaches (Evans and Jackson) that won’t happen any time soon.

“It’s about the fights, though,” White said. “The one thing no one can ever say is that we don’t deliver good fights. People always look at a card and say it’s not going to be any good. Then it ends up being the best card of the year. Just because Brock Lesnar is not in the main event doesn’t mean there won’t be great fights.

“If you’re a fight fan you want great fights. We deliver great fights.”

This all true, however there is no denying the impact of losing star fighters for extended periods. That’s especially the case with a crossover sensation like Lesnar.

White, however, points to the television ratings from last Saturday’s UFC 105, which was shown on basic cable’s Spike TV and performed better in the young men demographics than the Nov. 7 Strikeforce card on CBS.

Although the Strikeforce card, featuring its big heavyweight draw, Fedor Emelianenko, produced far greater overall numbers, White says he won the male 18-34 demo by 49 percent.

“And we had to go up against a big boxing match (Manny Pacquiao-Miguel Cotto) and college football, which we also beat in the demo,” White said.

This is White at his best, somehow spinning one of the most challenging recent stretches for the company into a positive.

Long-term, the UFC will be fine. White will have Silva and St. Pierre return in 2010. He said Lyoto Machida will give a rematch for his light heavyweight belt to Mauricio Shogun Rua on May 1 in Montreal. Machida won a close decision last month in Los Angeles.

And with Brock Lesnar, who knows? If he does return, he’ll likely be more popular than ever.

“If he’s done what he’s done at less than 100 percent, then imagine how he’ll be if he is 100 percent,” White noted.

At this point, White said he was just pleased that the health scare doesn’t seem to be worsening and there’s hope that with proper treatment, Lesnar should be able to live a healthy life.

As for Lesnar’s future as a fighter, even for Dana White, that’s a secondary concern.
-----------------------------------
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-white111809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

tbl
11/20/2009, 11:22 AM
May 1 for the Machida/Shogun rematch??? What the flip???

Boomer.....
11/20/2009, 11:39 AM
Dana was saying right after that fight that Shogun got hosed and there would be a rematch. I don't know.

Also, next up for Captain America is Mark Coleman. Talk about a geriatric fight.

tbl
11/20/2009, 12:39 PM
No joke. I also have a feeling we'll be seeing Tito rematches with Randy, Chuck, and probably Chuck/Randy again since they're all signed to multi-fight deals (except for Chuck, but he'll sign again and Dana would have no problem putting him up against the other old timers). It'll be hacky, but I know I'll be hooked in and watch them regardless.

KC//CRIMSON
11/20/2009, 08:45 PM
May 1 for the Machida/Shogun rematch??? What the flip???

Should there not be a rematch? Shogun got totally hosed. I'm guessing that's why they're getting right to it. As it should be, imo.

Collier11
11/20/2009, 09:23 PM
They said it was gonna be in December or January but one of them is recovering from an injury, thats the reason for the delay

KC//CRIMSON
11/20/2009, 10:28 PM
They said it was gonna be in December or January but one of them is recovering from an injury, thats the reason for the delay

Oh, I see. I'm surprised they would want to have it that soon.

Collier11
11/20/2009, 10:31 PM
Here ya go, it was gonna be Jan 2nd

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Ah70TVUx.dpODsCdw9PRwhc9Eo14?slug=dw-machida111809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns