Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

KC//CRIMSON
3/8/2009, 01:01 AM
Rampage vs. Rashad sounds good.

There's gonna be some black on black crime!-Rampage

Frozen Sooner
3/8/2009, 01:10 AM
Report: Frank Mir Injured, Unable To Compete At UFC 98

A planned rematch between Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir for UFC 98 on May 23 that would have unified Lesnar’s UFC heavyweight title and Mir’s interim UFC heavyweight has been canceled.

Multiple sources have confirmed to FiveOuncesOfPain.com that the UFC was recently informed by Mir’s camp that he has been unable to train recently due to a back injury that could require surgery.

There is no word as to whether Lesnar will remain on the card against a new opponent or if he will be taken off the card entirely.

:mad:

KC//CRIMSON
3/8/2009, 01:19 AM
After that performance tonight, I think Machida is more deserving of a title shot than Rampage. I guess it doesn't really make any difference, because I think it's only a matter of time before Machida has the belt around his waist. That guy is great.

tbl
3/9/2009, 11:36 PM
I'm not sure why some people don't like him. I've heard the arguments about his elusive style but its not like he's Caleb Starnes. The dude counters all the time and just has impeccable technique. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite fighters. He's a freaking ninja, man...

I totally agree. Whether he beats Rashad or beats Rampage, he will get the belt with his next fight.

tbl
3/9/2009, 11:38 PM
Did anybody else stay up for the Vera fight? He looked SHARP. Got a TKO via leg kicks. Great fight all the way around for him. If he can keep up that momentum and stay at it, he could be a serious force as well. The LHW division is just ridiculous...

KC//CRIMSON
3/10/2009, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure why some people don't like him. I've heard the arguments about his elusive style but its not like he's Caleb Starnes. The dude counters all the time and just has impeccable technique. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite fighters. He's a freaking ninja, man...

I totally agree. Whether he beats Rashad or beats Rampage, he will get the belt with his next fight.

You can chalk me up as someone who didn't care for his boring style, but his last few fights have made a believer out of me. I think he's going to hold the belt for quite a while.

KC//CRIMSON
3/11/2009, 01:32 PM
Lyoto Machida To Replace Quinton Jackson Against Rashad Evans At UFC 98 on May 23

UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Rashad Evans (13-0-1) will defend his crown against undefeated 205-pound division contender Lyoto Machida (14-0) in the main event of UFC 98 from The MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday, May 23, 2009 according to SI.com.

UFC 98: “Identity Crisis,” was originally headlined by Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir, who were set to collide in a heavyweight title unification bout until Mir was forced to bow out with a knee injury that required minor surgery.

Mir and Lesnar are now scheduled for fisticuffs at UFC 100 on July 11.

The main event was quickly (and awkwardly) changed to Quinton Jackson vs. Rashad Evans during the UFC 96 broadcast on March 8. “Rampage” defeated Evans’ teammate Keith Jardine via unanimous decision and had a nice war of words with “Sugar” following the bout, but appeared lukewarm to the idea of competing just over two months after his scrap with “The Dean of Mean.”

Now it appears nagging injuries and a brutal training camp have left Jackson — who would have competed three times in the span of five months — a little worse for the wear, and he’s now opted to settle for the title of number one contender with a guaranteed shot at the winner of Evans vs. Machida at some point in late 2009.

“The Dragon” has been patiently waiting for a crack at the title, all the while stringing together six straight victories inside the Octagon, including his coming out party at UFC 94 where he floored Thiago Silva in the first round for his first(T)KO finish under the UFC banner.

Like Machida, Evans has taken some heat in the past for his cautious approach. That all but went out the window after a devastating KO over former light heavyweight deity Chuck Liddell and a decisive TKO finish against ex-205 champ Forrest Griffin.

Now pitted against one another, it will be interesting to see if they revert back to the run-and-gun approach or if someone gets the lights shut off in the first round.

Also on the May 23 card, former UFC welterweight champions Matt Hughes and Matt Serra will settle their eternal grudge match and former number one middleweight contender Yushin Okami will return to the Octagon to challenge the surging 185-pound standout Dan Miller.

Knippz
3/16/2009, 04:24 PM
Good. Now Rashad get's to get destroyed, rather than just beat. I don't see anyone taking the belt from Machida (once he gets it), unless the HIGHLY UNLIKELY scenario that Anderson Silva will fight him happens. A year ago, that was a cool fight a few people would like to see. In a few months, it'll be a super-fight.

I'm gonna guess KO or TKO by Machida vs Evans. I don't think Evans can take 5 rounds of punishment from Lyoto.

On a side note, Vera did look a lot better in his last fight. In a recent interview he admitted that he had slacked on training in his last few fights, and is back to training hard. Maybe that had some effect...I don't know. I've never thought Vera was that good anyway. Had he taken the fight with Lyoto, he'd have gotten riiiiipppppeeed.

Oh and last, anyone still questioning Carwin? His track record speaks tons, but when just watching him fight, he doesn't looked too skilled. I can't make my mind up on him. I need to see him fight Lesnar immediately!

OU4LIFE
3/17/2009, 07:49 AM
Carwin is a knockout machine. I just think Lesnar is too big to handle unless you have good submissions, we don't know if Carwin can work off his back or not.

tbl
3/19/2009, 10:05 AM
Brock is big, but so is Carwin. That could be an interesting fight.

I'm PUMPED about Lyoto getting this fight. Rashad has gotta be a little leery about this. Lyoto is one tricky dude. He's just like the Spider in the sense that he sucks people into his gameplan, every time. I don't think Silva could beat him though... and I doubt we'll ever see it anyway.

KC//CRIMSON
3/31/2009, 04:41 PM
Upcoming cards for UFC 97-98-99-100-101-102

UFC 97:
Date: Apr 18, 2009
Venue: Bell Centre (Le Centre Bell)
Broadcast: Pay per view

MAIN CARD

* Middleweight champ Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites
* Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
* Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brian Stann
* Cheick Kongo vs. Antoni Hardonk
* Luis Cane vs. Steve Cantwell

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Vinicius Magalhaes vs. Eliot Marshall
* Xavier Foupa-Pokam vs. Denis Kang
* Jason MacDonald vs. Nate Quarry
* Ed Herman vs. David Loiseau
* David Bielkheden vs. Mark Bocek
* Ryo Chonan vs. T.J. Grant
* Sam Stout vs. Matt Wiman

UFC 98:
Date: May 23, 2009
Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena

MAIN CARD

* Champ Rashad Evans vs. Lyoto Machida (for light-heavyweight title)
* Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra
* Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Wilson
* Dan Miller vs. Yushin Okami
* Frank Edgar vs. Sean Sherk

PRELIMINARY CARD

* James Irvin vs. Drew McFedries
* Pat Barry vs. Tim Hague
* Kyle Bradley vs. Phillipe Nover
* Houston Alexander vs. Andre Gusmao
* Brandon Wolff vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida
* David Kaplan vs. George Roop

UFC 99:
Date: Jun 13, 2009
Venue: Lanxess Arena
Broadcast: Pay per view (DSF in Germany)

MAIN CARD

* Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva
* Heath Herring vs. Cain Velasquez
* Ben Saunders vs. Mike Swick
* Marcus Davis vs. Dan Hardy
* Spencer Fisher vs. Caol Uno

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Dale Hartt vs. Denis Siver
* Rousimar Palhares vs. Alessio Sakara*
* Peter Sobotta vs. Paul Taylor
* Denis Stojnic vs. Stefan Struve
* Mustapha al Turk vs. Todd Duffee
* John Hathaway vs. Rick Story
* Justin Buchholz vs. Terry Etim*
* Roli Delgado vs. Paul Kelly*

UFC 100
Date: Jul 11, 2009
Venue: Mandalay Bay Events Center

MAIN CARD

* Champ Brock Lesnar vs. interim champ Frank Mir (heavyweight title unification)
* Champ Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves (for welterweight title)
* Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson
* Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher
* Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Stephan Bonnar vs. Mark Coleman
* Jon Jones vs. Jake O'Brien
* C.B. Dollaway vs. Tom Lawlor
* Jonathan Goulet vs. Dong Hyun Kim
* Matt Grice vs. Shannon Gugerty

UFC 101
Date: Aug 08, 2009
Venue: Wachovia Center

MAIN CARD

* Champ B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian (for UFC lightweight title)
* Forrest Griffin vs. Thiago Silva
* Josh Neer vs. Kurt Pellgrino
* Matt Hamill vs. Brandon Vera
* Melvin Guillard vs. Thiago Tavares
* Dan Cramer vs. Matthew Riddle
* Jesse Lennox vs. Danillo Villefort

UFC 102
Date: Aug 29, 2009
Venue: TBA

MAIN CARD

* Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Next Affliction Event according to Tom Atencio, the headline event will be a fight between Fedor Emelianenko and Josh Barnett for the WAMMA Heavyweight title, and will take place August 15, 2009 in Las Vegas, Nevada at the MGM Grand.

Rhino
4/2/2009, 12:31 PM
Miller looked good last night.
Griffin is bendy. dos Anjos has some crazy submissions.
Bader is boring.
Kampmann and Condit was fun to watch.

Kinda disappointed in four fights in two hours - lots of filler.

Rhino
4/2/2009, 12:40 PM
Heh.

Ravens’ Gregg Calls Out UFC’s Lesnar (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/03/ravens-gregg-calls-out-ufcs-lesnar/)
FROM JACK BECHTA:

In August 2008, my phone used to light up about once day, sometimes twice. Kelly Gregg, one of my best clients and the NFL’s leading tackler among D-linemen from 2002 to 2007, was on the line, telling me he was worried he might be cut by the Baltimore Ravens because of a knee injury.

I explained to Kelly that the Ravens couldn’t and wouldn’t let him go because of his knee. “Well,” he told me, “if I do get cut, I want to go into the UFC and fight and beat the best!” I assured Kelly we would get him the finest medical attention available so he could play several more years.

But as the Ravens’ 2008 season moved on without Kelly, the calls kept coming – and so did the talk about being UFC champ. Eventually, his knee healed, the calls subsided and the conversations went back to playing football.

After reading Mark Preston’s story in the Baltimore Sun last week about Kelly’s progress, I decided to check in on him, as I frequently do. An upbeat and confident Kelly answered the phone and gave me a positive report on his knee, his strength and his overall physical progress. He also said one more thing: “I want to fight Brock Lesnar,” the current UFC champ.

“That would be impossible as long as you’re under contract with the Ravens,” I replied.

“Well, that sucks because I know I can beat him,” he said.

For all you MMA and UFC fans, don’t take Kelly’s comments lightly. People who play with and against him would be willing to put some money on him. Kelly has the heart of a warrior, the skill and stamina of a wrestler and the courage of a lion. Lesnar has all the physical tools to be a superior NFL player but for whatever reason couldn’t make it. Kelly, on the other hand is a superior NFL player and was a superior wrestler as well. In fact, the three-time state and two-time national champion would have wrestled at the college of his choice had he not accepted a football scholarship to Oklahoma.

Just for fun, let’s look at the tale of the tape:

KELLY GREGG
HEIGHT: 6-0
WEIGHT: 315
NFL: defensive lineman
WRESTING: Okla. state champ, Natl. champ
MMA/UFC EXPERIENCE: 0 YEARS

BROCK LESNAR
HEIGHT: 6-3
WEIGHT: 265
NFL: Cut
WRESTING: 2-time Big 10, NCAA Champ
MMA/UFC EXPERIENCE: 2 YEARS

The reason I’m writing this is because Kelly remains serious about fighting in the UFC. He wants to play football about five more years, then, fight in the UFC for about two or three years with the goal of winning the championship belt. He wants to fight at 260 pounds. He’ll be about 38 or 39 years old. To put that in perspective, Randy “the Natural” Couture will turn 46 in June of this year (that’s me with Randy on the right).

Kelly loves wrestling and competing. My O-line clients both love and hate playing against him. They love him because he plays hard but clean. If he gets blocked, he’ll make a comment about getting cut again, which usually brings some laughs during the battles in the trenches. They hate him because he goes hard and brings it on every play. Believe it or not, the majority of D-linemen will take a play off if it’s away from them or if they’re doubled-teamed. Not Kelly. He just keeps coming like the agents from “The Matrix.”

When I recruited him in 1999, I realized there was something different about him. I had never met a draftee who kept telling me how he simply wanted to beat the best, whoever was put in front of him. For two days straight, Kelly tried to convince me that he could beat anybody — on the football field, the wrestling mat or on the street. Not in a cocky, boastful manner, but in a purely competitive way.

On the flip side, there I was trying to sign him and convince him that I was the right agent for him. When I told him that I would always “fight” for him, he gave me the green light to represent him.

“Grrrrrr” or “Buddy Lee,” as Kelly is affectionately known by his teammates, isn’t afraid of anyone or anything. When he visited me in San Diego in 1999, we ran into the Chargers’ stud running back, Natrone Means, and several of his teammates. As some of the guys walked by our table and said hello, Kelly asked if one of them was Means.

“Yes,” I told him — and the next thing I knew, Kelly was out of his chair chasing after Natrone and his party. He stood nose to nose with Natrone and said, “No disrespect, but when I get in the league, don’t run in my direction because you’ll end up on your back in the backfield, and you’ll be lucky to have a 25-yard game.”

Understandably, Natrone’s teammates bounced in front of Kelly to protect their star player. But Kelly didn’t budge.

“I’m not here to fight, just to make a statement to Mr. Means,” he said. “Now, if you want to fight, I will kick all your asses.” Natrone simply wished Kelly luck and moved on with his crew.

When I incredulously asked Kelly what he was thinking, he replied, “Jack, you don’t understand, but the only thing I know is to compete. It’s hard for me to sit still. I wish I could wrestle and play football 365 days of the year.”

So don’t be surprised to see Kelly and Lesnar square off in the octagon in 2015. Until then, he’s on his way to becoming the Ravens’ all-time leading tackler and the NFL’s most prolific run stopper.

Who would you pick? Gregg or Lesnar?

OU4LIFE
4/2/2009, 02:28 PM
So, apparently Rich Franklin has a death wish.

and UFC 100 looks to be epic.

good times.

KC//CRIMSON
4/2/2009, 03:41 PM
So, apparently Rich Franklin has a death wish.

and UFC 100 looks to be epic.

good times.

Bonnar vs. Coleman has to be one of the goofiest match ups I've ever seen.

KC//CRIMSON
4/2/2009, 04:03 PM
How this guy got to where he is or why anyone with half a brain would want him as their President and spokesperson is beyond me...

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/MMA_Boxing?vid=351f37f1-220b-4a0c-a378-01c94ab9858d&MSNHPHMA&From=MSNHP&FG=FOX_Pipe

OU4LIFE
4/3/2009, 07:23 AM
He's like some rich guys little pompous douch-ebag nephew that needed a job.

Luckily the UFC is popular enough to be able to overcome Dana White. He's held the UFC back at least 5 years.

tbl
4/3/2009, 11:40 AM
It's funny how I don't typically consider myself to be some big Patriot... until I see foreigners trashing the USA. I somehow turn into Captain America then... I'm not too thrilled with the guys we have coming in, at least based on the previews. Hopefully we'll have some quality guys and be low on the ********* percentage. Considering past TUF seasons, that's not very likely.

KC//CRIMSON
4/3/2009, 12:03 PM
He's like some rich guys little pompous douch-ebag nephew that needed a job.

Luckily the UFC is popular enough to be able to overcome Dana White. He's held the UFC back at least 5 years.

White's rant sends UFC down dangerous path

Dana White has long chirped that the Ultimate Fighting Championship deserves mainstream media coverage.

Well, he's got it now — but for every wrong reason imaginable.

The UFC president did far more than verbally assault a female reporter Wednesday in a video blog entry. White slurred women, homosexuals and the mentally disabled in the obscenity-laced rant. The diatribe already was yanked from UFC's web site, but footage can still be found across the Internet. Next up: News outlets (this one included) that will salivate at the chance to show White at his worst.

He swore around 35 times in a three-minute span. White seethed about what he believed was an inaccurate article — or in his words, "an absolutely (expletive) retarded story" — about UFC's credentialing policy for fighters' agents and managers. He called Sherdog.com writer Loretta Hunt a "(expletive) dumb bitch" among a litany of other insults. And he knocked an anonymous source she quoted by using an anti-gay slur as well as a slang term for female genitalia.

The video was so over the top that you half-expected White to end the segment by saying, "April Fools!" Instead, White capped a foolish tirade with an obscene gesture and one final F-bomb toward Hunt.

Dana White presides over the UFC Fight Night weigh-in in March. (ufc.com / Special to FOXSports.com)

In other pro sports leagues — the ones that White wants to have the UFC mentioned along with — these are the kinds of comments that would get a commissioner fired. I don't expect the promotion to take that step with White, who is a part-owner of UFC's parent company.

UFC, though, should use some of the multimillions generated under White's watch to purchase a muzzle.

White is a bald version of hucksters like Don King and Vince McMahon, shooting from the hip since taking the UFC reins in 2001. At times, it's one of his most endearing qualities in a sanitized sports world. This is someone who didn't have a shred of self-consciousness while conducting a 2007 news conference in a Dead Kennedy's T-shirt featuring a crucifixion scene. He's also the same guy who later made sure to hold open the elevator doors for two older ladies and press buttons for their respective floors even though he was rushed preparing for a UFC card in Cincinnati.

I've covered team owners and promoters like McMahon who I truly consider rotten to the core. I don't feel that way about White even after this episode.

And perhaps surprisingly, neither does Hunt.

"I've had good experiences with Dana in the past," Hunt told FOXSports.com in her first interview about the video. "I still like him. I think he's done a lot of great things for the sport."

His middle name really should be "Black and" because White views the world that way. White is devoted to those who give blind loyalty. Those who have questioned UFC's business practices, including legendary fighters like Tito Ortiz and Randy Couture, have felt White's verbal wrath. Hunt, a long-time MMA journalist and author of Couture's autobiography, clearly falls into the latter category.

White's impact on mixed martial arts is just as clear-cut. His vision and indefatigable work ethic have transformed a company on the verge of bankruptcy into a burgeoning worldwide entity and pay-per-view giant. When the UFC was under previous ownership in the mid-1990s, MMA bouts were barred in most states. White and partners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta saved the genre thanks to rules changes and the targeting of young males. Now, more of that demographic is bound to watch a live UFC fight than an early-round NBA playoff game. Malls are filled with as many teenagers wearing TapouT shirts as traditional sports jerseys.

In the testosterone-fueled culture he has created, White's comments may not be considered over the line. Some insiders will write it off as "Dana being Dana." But in the big picture, those aren't the people that matter most.

The ones that do? Advertisers that might already be feeling squeamish about being affiliated with an inherently violent product and television executives who don't want to deal with a high-profile promoter spewing hate speech. The sport won't grow without the support of either party. Even with all the strides UFC has made toward mainstream acceptance, the quickest way to head back into the dark ages business-wise is to have a spokesman who sounds like he is still living in them.

Hunt said she didn't know White well enough to judge whether his slurs were reflective of deeper personal biases. Regardless, they are wrong.

The backlash may just be starting. The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) already has publicly called upon White to apologize. A UFC spokesperson said the promotion had "no comment" when asked about White's video.

Here's what White should be saying while asking for forgiveness: "I'm sorry to Loretta Hunt. I'm sorry to have embarrassed the UFC. Sorry to have fed into misogynistic and gay stereotyping. Sorry to have vented in a fashion that casts a negative light on the entire MMA world.

"Really, really (expletive) sorry."

Knippz
4/3/2009, 12:20 PM
Not so sure Wandy beats Franklin. While no doubt Wandy used to be possibly the best fighter in the world, he's on the downfall of his career. I could see Franklin winning a decision.

I would kill to see Gregg fight Lesnar. Kill.

KC//CRIMSON
4/7/2009, 03:45 PM
New on DVD. Bob Sapp as Frakenhood.

U0fcg38ApKk

Boomer.....
4/7/2009, 04:35 PM
That looks about as good as Dumb and Dumberer.

Sooner_Bob
4/14/2009, 05:23 PM
Koscheck fights too much.

Jeff Monson has fought 3 times since 3/21/09 . . . on 3 different continents and won all 3. :D

That's fighting too much. ;)

Sooner_Bob
4/14/2009, 05:39 PM
Was anyone else just a little surprised at how easy Nick Diaz beat Frank Shamrock?

KC//CRIMSON
4/14/2009, 07:08 PM
Was anyone else just a little surprised at how easy Nick Diaz beat Frank Shamrock?

I haven't got a chance to watch the fight yet, but I'm of the opinion that anyone with the last name of Shamrock needs to stop fighting.

KC//CRIMSON
4/17/2009, 06:24 PM
Today's freebie.....

http://www.moviegoods.com/images_blog/tyson.jpg

Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson examines his own life in and out of the ring with a candor that is brutally honest. Through a mixture of original interviews, archival footage and photographs, a surprisingly complex, fully-rounded human being emerges. The film ranges from Tyson’s earliest memories of growing up on the mean streets of Brooklyn through his entry into the world of boxing, including his rollercoaster ride through the funhouse of worldwide fame and his fortunes won and lost. It’s the story of a uniquely controversial athlete, a figure conjuring radical questions of race, class, and a man who arose from the most debased circumstances and soared to seemingly unlimited heights, followed by destruction generated by hubris, like a character out of classical tragedy.

Excellent.

Watch here: http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=1583596450597795980&hl=undefined

KC//CRIMSON
4/18/2009, 09:23 PM
UFC 97:
Date: Apr 18, 2009
Venue: Bell Centre (Le Centre Bell)

MAIN CARD

* Middleweight champ Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites
* Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
* Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brian Stann
* Cheick Kongo vs. Antoni Hardonk
* Luis Cane vs. Steve Cantwell

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Vinicius Magalhaes vs. Eliot Marshall
* Xavier Foupa-Pokam vs. Denis Kang
* Jason MacDonald vs. Nate Quarry
* Ed Herman vs. David Loiseau
* David Bielkheden vs. Mark Bocek
* Ryo Chonan vs. T.J. Grant
* Sam Stout vs. Matt Wiman

Wow. Cane looking really sharp.

KC//CRIMSON
4/18/2009, 09:27 PM
I'm thinking either an uppercut or head kick is going to end this one.

Collier11
4/18/2009, 10:18 PM
If you dont know who he is check out Zac George, I went to hs with him. He has a sherdog profile, I think he is around 14-3 but is a little bad A. Tried out for the ultimate fighter and Dana White personally told him he is a good enough fighter but too small.

He lives in Norman now, good kid too

KC//CRIMSON
4/18/2009, 11:51 PM
This is the first title fight I've seen where the crowd was more entertaining than the two guys in the cage. Pathetic.

tbl
4/19/2009, 01:17 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AmOtTmuMhU60T1sJr.mwfUtWEo14?slug=ki-silva041909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Dana has GOT to get somebody to challenge him. Any time he's faced somebody who is a legitimate challenger (or a striker), we've seen the Spider at his best. Guys like Letes and Cote? Apparently this is what kind of Spider you get. NOT GOOD AT ALL.

I still think he would destroy GSP though... and he'd give a fit to anybody at LHW. He just needs to feel challenged, and it was painfully obvious his last two fights he didn't feel it. That's not a free pass, b/c he should still deliver.

I'm also thinking he may just not have the fire any more. There was a video of him being interviewed where he said he wants to retire pretty soon, I believe after 4-5 more fights (this was prior to the Cote fight). The talent is still there in force, but he's just not aggressive. Very frustrating...

It's a shame Ole Chuck couldn't pull it off. Hopefully he'll hang up the gloves and go out in style. According to Dana, he's not going to let him come back.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Au1OO502V0ENWBT1d9MJQz49Eo14?slug=dm-chuck041909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Knippz
4/19/2009, 02:43 PM
I really hope that GSP can get by Alves now, because I want to see GSP get destroyed. Anderson is bigger, stronger, faster, has better reflexes, longer reach, smarter, better BJJ, better clinch game, and much better striking than GSP.

With the defense Anderson has on the ground, I honestly can't see how GSP could possibly win that fight. His only chance is to take Anderson down and pound him out. That's all GSP does. I don't think GSP will be able to move on Anderson like he does on everyone else whatsoever. GSP is used to facing guys that are 5'7" - 5'10", generally guys much weaker and less athletic. Anderson will have a significant strength advantage, which is what most people don't realize. His reactions are much, much quicker than the likes of Matt Serra, Jon Fitch, and Matt Hughes. Anderson is probably the worst matchup GSP could have in the UFC.

I want this fight.

KC//CRIMSON
4/19/2009, 02:59 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AmOtTmuMhU60T1sJr.mwfUtWEo14?slug=ki-silva041909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Dana has GOT to get somebody to challenge him. Any time he's faced somebody who is a legitimate challenger (or a striker), we've seen the Spider at his best. Guys like Letes and Cote? Apparently this is what kind of Spider you get. NOT GOOD AT ALL.

I still think he would destroy GSP though... and he'd give a fit to anybody at LHW. He just needs to feel challenged, and it was painfully obvious his last two fights he didn't feel it. That's not a free pass, b/c he should still deliver.

I'm also thinking he may just not have the fire any more. There was a video of him being interviewed where he said he wants to retire pretty soon, I believe after 4-5 more fights (this was prior to the Cote fight). The talent is still there in force, but he's just not aggressive. Very frustrating...

It's a shame Ole Chuck couldn't pull it off. Hopefully he'll hang up the gloves and go out in style. According to Dana, he's not going to let him come back.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Au1OO502V0ENWBT1d9MJQz49Eo14?slug=dm-chuck041909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Penishead is going to have to ask a few 205ers to come down in weight to challenge him or see if Silva wants to move up. Otherwise, it's going to be more of the same in the future.

Glad that Shogun won, but Chuck will go out a legend.

tbl
4/20/2009, 08:08 AM
It sounds like Wandy may be honing in. He needs to get through a few MW's IMO, but that would be a fuuuuuun fight. I still think Nate poses a threat too.

Anderson is probably the worst matchup GSP could have in the UFC.

Exactly. The only thing he has better than Silva is wrestling, but I don't think GSP is a better wrestler than Hendo and we saw how that one ended.

Knippz
4/22/2009, 02:59 PM
It sounds like Wandy may be honing in. He needs to get through a few MW's IMO, but that would be a fuuuuuun fight. I still think Nate poses a threat too.

Exactly. The only thing he has better than Silva is wrestling, but I don't think GSP is a better wrestler than Hendo and we saw how that one ended.

Well, not to mention that his wrestling won't be near as affective on a guy that's bigger and stronger than him. Who in the WW division (other than maybe Alves) is stronger than GSP? Not one of his opponents thus far, that's for sure.

I honestly can't picture any way GSP could win that fight. That's why I don't think it will happen. (and because I think Alves has a real shot at beating GSP)

Collier11
4/22/2009, 10:54 PM
Today's freebie.....

http://www.moviegoods.com/images_blog/tyson.jpg

Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson examines his own life in and out of the ring with a candor that is brutally honest. Through a mixture of original interviews, archival footage and photographs, a surprisingly complex, fully-rounded human being emerges. The film ranges from Tyson’s earliest memories of growing up on the mean streets of Brooklyn through his entry into the world of boxing, including his rollercoaster ride through the funhouse of worldwide fame and his fortunes won and lost. It’s the story of a uniquely controversial athlete, a figure conjuring radical questions of race, class, and a man who arose from the most debased circumstances and soared to seemingly unlimited heights, followed by destruction generated by hubris, like a character out of classical tragedy.

Excellent.

Watch here: http://megavideo.com/?v=F7Z9NGA2

I tried to watch today and it has been removed damnit! I knew I shouldnt have waited so long

KC//CRIMSON
4/22/2009, 11:14 PM
I tried to watch today and it has been removed damnit! I knew I shouldnt have waited so long

Try this - http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=1583596450597795980&hl=undefined

Knippz
4/23/2009, 03:57 PM
Heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko and lightweight Shinya Aoki meet April 29

Only in Japan.

Famed heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko will meet lightweight stand-out Shinya Aoki during a five-minute "special exhibition" at an April 29 M-1 Challenge (presented by Affliction) event in Tokyo, the organization today announced.

Rules for the contest are still being negotiated.

And considering nearly 70 pounds and four weight classes separate the fighters, expect some safety precautions to be put in place. The bout could end up being more of a grappling session by the time the official rules are announced.

The Emelianenko vs. Aoki bout will join a 19-fight card that includes head-to-head M-1 Challenge matchups between host country Japan vs. England, Team USA West vs. South Korea, and Spain vs. France.

Emelianenko and Aoki, who both hold WAMMA world titles in their respective weight classes, are two of the most popular fighters in Japan, so the exhibition is likely to be a hit with fans.

Emelianenko (30-1), a World Combat Sambo champion who will compete in the Abu Dhabi Combat Club's submission fighting championships later this year, last competed in January when he defeated former UFC champ Andrei Arlovski at Affliction's "Day of Reckoning" show. The 32-year-old former PRIDE champ is undefeated in his past 27 fights.

Aoki (20-4), a standout grappler who's ended 12 of his 20 career wins via submission, last competed in April, when he suffered a 27-second TKO loss to welterweight Hayato Sakurai at DREAM.8. Aoki is 15-2 (with one no-contest) in his past 18 fights.

KC//CRIMSON
4/23/2009, 04:31 PM
"five-minute special sparring exhibition"

Yawn. They're just going to get in there and try not to laugh at each other too much.

tbl
4/24/2009, 08:33 AM
Seriously... what's the point? Not to mention Aoki getting ktfo the other day.

Knippz
4/24/2009, 10:08 AM
Seriously... what's the point? Not to mention Aoki getting ktfo the other day.

I don't think "ktfo" does that KO justice. Let's put Faber vs. Rampage instead. But an actual fight. So I can see the 1st UFC death.

Collier11
4/28/2009, 01:18 PM
Griffin and Silva signed on to fight, Griffin is probably my most liked fighter since Couteor<sp> retired

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Ajo9KiNNhSYDOUr89SgW5aY5nYcB?slug=ki-silvagriffin042909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Boomer.....
4/28/2009, 01:36 PM
While Forrest is a good fighter and it will be harder on Silva to go up to 205, I still see Silva winning. The GSP-Silva fight talk excited me much more.

KC//CRIMSON
4/28/2009, 01:47 PM
Going to be a lot of leg kicks in that fight.

tbl
4/28/2009, 02:22 PM
Forrest at one time said he wanted nothing to do with Machida. I wonder what he thinks the Spider will bring to the dance? One things for certain; Forrest will definitely bring the best out of Silva. He's aggressive and that seems to make the Spider come alive. You're right KC... though I think Silva wins that battle. Dude knows how to block leg kicks like I've never seen and he can dish out some brutality.

I kinda feel bad for Forrest...

tbl
4/28/2009, 02:24 PM
If he beats Forrest, LHW title shot? First man to ever hold two titles in the UFC? Hmmmmmm..... The only way I don't see that happening is if Lyoto is champ since they train together.

tbl
4/28/2009, 02:27 PM
Did nobody notice this?

"White said that Silva also expressed an interest in fighting heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko, who is under contract with Affliction. White has made several attempts to sign Emelianenko, none successful.

Soares confirmed that Silva would like a fight with Emelianenko and said that size wouldn’t be an issue. Silva walks around between fights at 215 and Emelianenko fights around 230.

“We’d come in at about 220 if we ever got that fight,” Soares said. “Anderson thinks that would be a great fight for him. He didn’t say he expected to blow him out, but he thinks he can give him a very good fight.”

But long before he considers fighting Emelianenko, he has to worry about a match with Griffin."

Dude...

Collier11
4/28/2009, 02:29 PM
Griffin can throw down, it only takes one solid punch and Griffin can swing with the best of them

Boomer.....
4/28/2009, 02:58 PM
If the spider really walks around at 215, he does one hell of a job to cut down 30 lbs for weigh-ins. I guess that is why he looks for fights at 205.

Knippz
4/28/2009, 05:01 PM
Did nobody notice this?

"White said that Silva also expressed an interest in fighting heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko, who is under contract with Affliction. White has made several attempts to sign Emelianenko, none successful.

Soares confirmed that Silva would like a fight with Emelianenko and said that size wouldn’t be an issue. Silva walks around between fights at 215 and Emelianenko fights around 230.

“We’d come in at about 220 if we ever got that fight,” Soares said. “Anderson thinks that would be a great fight for him. He didn’t say he expected to blow him out, but he thinks he can give him a very good fight.”

But long before he considers fighting Emelianenko, he has to worry about a match with Griffin."

Dude...

I was just about to post this!

This means that Anderson *wants* the fight, and it *could* happen. I'm excited! :D

KC//CRIMSON
4/28/2009, 05:18 PM
I was just about to post this!

This means that Anderson *wants* the fight, and it *could* happen. I'm excited! :D

And Anderson would get his head separated from his shoulders. I'm excited! :D

KC//CRIMSON
4/28/2009, 08:08 PM
Griffin can throw down, it only takes one solid punch and Griffin can swing with the best of them

I think Forrest has a good chance. His fighting style will give him some good opportunities.

Knippz
4/29/2009, 12:24 PM
I think Forrest has a good chance. His fighting style will give him some good opportunities.
I generally respect your opinion, but I can't right now. Forrest is severely outmatched in this fight.

I would give Fedor a 5-10% chance of KOing Silva. 75-80% chance for sub.

And it would entirely depend on the weight they would fight at.

At a weight closer to LHW, I take Silva all day (and if it somehow happened at LHW, I would probably bet you KC $1000 on Silva).

If it's closer to HW or at HW, I'll take Fedor all day. Strength would be an issue for Silva I believe.

Knippz
4/29/2009, 12:32 PM
At 215 lbs I would lean more toward Fedor, but it would be interesting.

And KC, before you respond with your (assumed) pro-Fedor response - there's no telling how Fedor would do at LHW, with cutting weight. I wouldn't exect the same Fedor, however I think he'd still dominate 95% of anyone. I think Anderson could potentially match up very well against him at LHW. It's a very bad match-up at HW though.

I think Silva would fare just as well at HW against Fedor as Fedor would against Silva at Middleweight. It goes both ways.

Knippz
4/29/2009, 03:39 PM
Sorry to rant. Basically what I'm saying is that (in a match between Silva and Fedor) the fighter who is 'out of his element' (not at normal weight class) the most, is going to be at a severe disadvantage.

Silva wins at a lighter weight, Fedor wins at a heavier weight. Which in the end really proves nothing, but makes for an awesome fight!

(I'm trying to be 100% fair, as I know you like Fedor and I like Silva. These are legit analysis'.)

KC//CRIMSON
4/29/2009, 08:10 PM
I generally respect your opinion, but I can't right now. Forrest is severely outmatched in this fight.

I would give Fedor a 5-10% chance of KOing Silva. 75-80% chance for sub.

And it would entirely depend on the weight they would fight at.

At a weight closer to LHW, I take Silva all day (and if it somehow happened at LHW, I would probably bet you KC $1000 on Silva).

If it's closer to HW or at HW, I'll take Fedor all day. Strength would be an issue for Silva I believe.

I didn't say Griffin would win or lose, I have no idea. I just think he has a good chance with the way he fights. He covers up well, has great stamina, has awesome leg kicks, and he's gotten a lot smarter/less reckless since his early days. I give Silva the advantage in the stand up game. (although he only has one KO from punches in his entire career) However, Griffin can throw down and take a punch at the same time. If it goes to the ground? I'd say it could go either way, Silva is good on the ground, but Griffin has been a beast lately on the mat, so who knows? This won't be a walk in the park for Silva. He'll actually have to fight someone unlike in his last two outings.

As far as Fedor? You'll never see Fedor at 205 so the whole argument is moot. I'm not going to start that crapfest all over again. The fight will probably never happen anyway.

tbl
4/30/2009, 10:01 AM
We'll probably never see Fedor in the UFC either, so even more mootness.

KC//CRIMSON
4/30/2009, 02:20 PM
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb235/kusokosla/thelastemperor-1.gif

Heh.

KC//CRIMSON
4/30/2009, 02:28 PM
"five-minute special sparring exhibition"

Yawn. They're just going to get in there and try not to laugh at each other too much.

Fedor Emelianenko submits Shinya Aoki in Japanese exhibition match
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Apr 29, 2009 at 1:50 pm ET
Size doesn't always overcome technique, but it sure helps.

In the latest only-in-Japan booking, fight officials pitted heavyweight star Fedor Emelianenko vs. lightweight stand-out Shinya Aoki in an "exhibition sparring match" that took place today.

The bout, which resembled more of a grappling session, ended when Aoki tapped out to his much-larger opponent.

The exhibition was part of Wednesday's Deep/M-1 Challenge event at the Differ Ariake Arena in Tokyo, Japan. However, because of existing broadcast deals in the U.S., fight officials ultimately decided to black out the Emelianenko vs. Aoki matchup from telecasts worldwide. (However, M-1 will make the fight available online for free beginning May 4.)

Emelianenko easily man-handled his opponent and suplexed him to the mat, according to a report from Sportsnavi.com, though a friendly tone accompanied the match. Emelianenko reportedly would give up a submission attempt to try another and even allowed Aoki to slap on a hold so he could power his way free. Aoki ultimately tapped out from an Achilles lock three minutes into the scheduled five-minute fight.

Because the matchup was an exhibition, neither fighter's record will be affected by the bout.

Emelianenko and Aoki, who both hold WAMMA world titles in their respective weight classes, are two of the most popular fighters in Japan.

Emelianenko, a World Combat Sambo champion who will compete in the Abu Dhabi Combat Club's submission fighting championships later this year, last competed in January when he defeated former UFC champ Andrei Arlovski at Affliction's "Day of Reckoning" show. As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently reported, his next MMA fight could come this summer in Japan as part of a rumored Affliction/M-1/DREAM card.

I knew they were just going to get in there and goof around. I bet it was fun to watch.

Knippz
5/8/2009, 04:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XisoUegzUw

Sorry I can't post the video here. For some reason my comp at work won't let me. Anyway, that's the Fedor-Aoki exhibition. And it is a pretty fun watch. Fedor's funny.

Boomer.....
5/13/2009, 04:23 PM
It might finally be coming to Oklahoma!

Planning is underway for the Ultimate Fighting Championship to host its next UFC Fight Night installment in September, likely in Oklahoma City.

The event, tentatively scheduled for Sept. 16, would apparently serve as a lead-in for the debut episode of "The Ultimate Fighter 10" on Spike TV.

Sources close to the event and the Oklahoma State Athletic Commission recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the tentative plans.

However, the UFC and Spike TV have made no formal announcements, and the event details are far from being set in stone.

If the event does take place, though, it'll mark the UFC's first trip to Oklahoma in nearly 15 years. The Sooner State has hosted just one UFC event to date. That show, UFC 4, took place in December 1994 at the Expo Square Pavilion in Tulsa. The event featured an eight-man open-weight tournament, which was won by eventual UFC hall-of-famer Royce Gracie.

UFC Fight Night 19 would also continue the UFC's recent trend of testing new markets with the UFC Fight Night event series. Although the Spike TV-televised shows were once relegated to venues in Las Vegas, the UFC has recently ventured to cities in Colorado, Nebraska, Florida and Tennessee for the event series.

Oklahoma City, the capital and largest city in Oklahoma, is home to approximately 550,000 residents. The city boasts a number of suitable venues, including the Ford Center (20,000 capacity), the Cox Convention Center (15,000 capacity) and Oklahoma State University's historic Gallagher-Iba Arena (14,000 capacity).

The UFC had reportedly considered hosting an UFC Fight Night 19 event in August. However, the plans may have been scrapped when traditional pay-per-view events were scheduled for Aug. 8 in Philadelphia and Aug. 29 in Portland, Ore.

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 19, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14866/ufc-fight-night-19-could-take-place-sept-16-in-oklahoma-city.mma

Knippz
5/20/2009, 11:33 AM
Ok, predictions time! Post yours too!

MAIN CARD

* Champ Rashad Evans vs. Lyoto Machida (for light-heavyweight title)
Machida by KO/TKO 2nd round
* Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra
Serra by TKO 1st
* Xavier Foupa-Pokam vs. Drew McFedries
Xavier by no clue
* Dan Miller vs. Chael Sonnen
Sonnen sub 1st
* Frank Edgar vs. Sean Sherk
Sherk by unanimous decision

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Brock Larson vs. Chris Wilson
Larson
* Pat Barry vs. Tim Hague
Barry
* Kyle Bradley vs. Phillipe Nover
Bradley
* Andre Gusmao vs. Krzysztof Soszynski
Soszynski
* Brandon Wolff vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida
Wolff
Who?

Knippz
5/20/2009, 03:21 PM
I started an MMA predictions thread. I know we don't want another MMA thread, but it'll make it much easier to sort out winners and predictions than using this thread.

I thought it would be a fun way for the Sooner MMA fans to interact, other than just chattering about fights and who's better than who.

Thoughts?

OU4LIFE
5/21/2009, 08:13 AM
Who?

Kaplan

KC//CRIMSON
5/21/2009, 11:42 AM
Cro Cop Says He Is Back In The UFC, To Fight June 13th In Germany

From Cro Cop's official blog:

So we have some big news!

I decided to fight in the UFC again, because of the stronger competition in the heavyweight division. My next opponent will be Mustapha Al-Turk.

I didn't do well in my first three appearances - I wasn't myself. By returning to the cage I want to prove that I can still fight at highest level, no matter when or where.

It's hard to talk about concrete plans, but I would really like to fight at least three times this year. I wish to fight against quality opponents and to fight my way up to a title shot but for now, I'll focus only on my next fight and after that we'll see what's going to be on the menu next.

I want to say thank you Mr. Dana White for your interest and for an invitation back to the UFC. I owe you a lot from our first deal, and I'll make it up to you.

Thanks everyone for supporting me all the way - we are back in business!

War Cro Cop!

Knippz
5/21/2009, 03:41 PM
I really hope he gets back to his old ways. His UFC stint was very disappointing. Cro Cop vs Carwin. Make it happen.

KC//CRIMSON
5/21/2009, 09:50 PM
Cheick Kongo replaces Heath Herring at Germany's UFC 99 event

Veteran heavyweight and once again rising contender Cheick Kongo (14-4-1 MMA, 7-2 UFC) will replace Heath Herring (28-14 MMA, 2-3 UFC) and fight Cain Velasquez (5-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) at next month's UFC 99 event.

Kongo posted the change on his Facebook early Wednesday morning, and the UFC has since made the adjustment official.

UFC 99 takes place on June 13 at the Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany.

On Tuesday the UFC announced that an injury forced Herring out of the co-main-event fight. However, a report from MMA FanHouse stated the fighter instead was dealing with a sickness that's left him out of training for the past couple weeks.

It is currently unknown if the Kongo vs. Velasquez bout will remain in the same slot on the evening's schedule.

As far as drawing power in Germany and the potential impact on the heavyweight title picture, Kongo is arguably an upgrade. However, his UFC 99 appearance would be his second fight in just two months. He most recently topped Antoni Hardonk with a second-round TKO at UFC 97.

It was the third consecutive victory for Kongo, whom UFC President Dana White recently said was back in the title picture and possibly just a win or two away from a shot at the belt.

A win over Velasquez, one of the sport's most promising heavyweight prospects, would give Kongo a solid case for a title shot. After all, Velasquez is a remarkable 5-0 with five TKO stoppages. All but his most recent one (over Denis Stojnic at UFC Fight Night 17) came in the first round.

UFC 99 marks the organization's debut in Germany, which has welcomed the UFC with a lukewarm reception. Minors have been banned from attending the event, and local press has demonized the sport. However, ticket sales are solid for the event, which features a main event between former UFC champion Rich Franklin and former PRIDE title-holder Wanderlei Silva (at a catch-weight of 195 pounds).

tbl
5/24/2009, 12:04 AM
Dude... I'm glad I'm documented here as being a huge Lyoto fan. I freaking love this guy!!!!! That was absolutely amazing. I know somehow people get bored with him, but I just see it as a chess match and that dude is the Bobby Fischer of the fight world.

tbl
5/24/2009, 01:21 PM
P4P top 5

Fedor/Machida/Silva tie for top
GSP
Brown

I know that's kind of bush, but I can't decide between these three which is truly the best. I lean toward the Brazilians as a two way tie for first, simply b/c I love their style.

It's a great time to be a fight fan...

KC//CRIMSON
5/24/2009, 07:20 PM
I don't know who is going to challenge Machida in the 205 class. Silva needs to come up in weight. That would be a great fight.

Boomer.....
5/24/2009, 08:07 PM
I will have to give it up to Machida, that was a great fight. His last two fights have been much more entertaining. He was the one doing all of the stalking last night. Great win!

tbl
5/25/2009, 09:16 AM
I don't know who is going to challenge Machida in the 205 class. Silva needs to come up in weight. That would be a great fight.

I don't know if that will happen though. I'd prefer he ran through at least the top 3-5 in the LHW's before they even considered that (Shogun, Forrest, Jardine, Rampage, etc). They're really close friends and both have said they wouldn't fight the other. Dana said they're fighters and they'll fight anyone (basically he'd make them fight whether they liked it or not).

Knippz
5/25/2009, 09:44 PM
I don't know to be honest. Silva and Machida are my two favorite fighters (in that order), but I could totally see it being a snoozer. Two counter strikers that absolutely won't stray from their gameplan could = disaster. Not to mention they probably wouldn't go hard on each other. As much as I'd want this fight, it could very well be a terrible fight.

tbl
5/26/2009, 08:52 AM
Good point. However, I stand by my opinion that it wouldn't be boring. I like the strategy they both employ, even when most fans consider it boring.

KC//CRIMSON
5/26/2009, 10:33 PM
Good grief, I can't believe I'm posting this...

Hong Man Choi vs. Jose Canseco

http://www.mmalinker.com/xExternal.php?vidid=16104

KC//CRIMSON
5/29/2009, 11:02 AM
Shogun vs Machida @ UFC 104 in October

http://mmamania.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/shogu_rua_dana_white.jpg

The 2005 Pride FC Middleweight Grand Prix winner, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, earlier this week did indeed sign a bout agreement to challenge UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Lyoto Machida, which will more than likely take place at UFC 104 from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, Calif., on Oct. 24.

SuperLutas.com.br was able to confirm the rumored match up with sources close to the Brazilian’s camp.

Rua is coming off a first round technical knockout of former 205-pound champion, Chuck Liddell, at UFC 97: “Redemption” last month. He defeated Mark Coleman via third round technical knockout in a lackluster performance earlier this year at UFC 93: “Franklin vs. Henderson” to earn a crack at the “Iceman.”

It’s perhaps not the match up that most fans expected, especially when UFC President Dana White revealed over the weekend that Quinton “Rampage” Jackson would be the first to challenge Machida for his newly-won world title. But that all went out the window a few days later when Jackson apparently pressed UFC officials to settle a score with Rashad Evans via The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 10 first rather than compete for a world title.

That left Machida — who flatted Evans at UFC 98 to win the belt — all of a sudden without a number one contender … until now.

Keep in mind that White did not announce the bout yesterday during a media conference call because he indicated that not all bout agreements were finalized. That more than likely means Machida — who is currently celebrating his big win on a beach in Belem — may still have to agree to the fight and formalize it with a signature.

Although Shogun is one of my all time favorites, I would give the edge to Machida. I'd love to see these two go at it on the ground. How awesome would that be?

KC//CRIMSON
5/29/2009, 04:24 PM
http://mmajunkie.com/dyn/images/events/affliction-trilogy-1.jpg

Amid rumors that WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko will face Josh Barnett during Affliction III at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. on Aug. 1, the former PRIDE champ took time recently to speak exclusively with www.M-1Global.com.

The most pressing topic of conversation were the reports that Emelianenko will be fighting Barnett and while Affliction has yet to officially announce the fight, Fedor revealed that he has agreed to the match while responding to a question regarding just how involved he was with the negotiations.

"I am always 100% involved in the negotiations especially with regards to the Barnett fight," he responded. "We discussed this fight with the whole team (trainers, coaches, management), so as a team we agreed to a fight with Barnett."

The potential showdown with Barnett is one that is intriguing in that the two are friends who have trained with each other in the past. Fedor was asked to discuss the nature of his friendship with Barnett.

"Besides Josh's qualities as a fighter, he is also one of the best representatives for MMA in the U.S.A.," he said. "We often had drinks after our fights in PRIDE and Affliction so I do consider him a friend."

The friendship between the two heavyweight standouts is so strong that it even remained as such in spite of Barnett's 2006 second round submission victory over Fedor's younger brother, Aleksander, at PRIDE Total Elimination Absolute.

"There is no desire for revenge," Fedor answered when Barnett's win over Aleksander was brought up. "This is a totally separate fight."

If the fight vs. Barnett becomes official, it will put Emelianenko in a position where he could record his sixth career victory over a former UFC heavyweight champion. So how does Barnett rate with the five other former UFC heavyweight champions he's fought previously?

"I consider Josh as one of the truly best in MMA, I think he is really in his prime right now," he said. "Just like when I fought Cro Cop, he was in his prime as well. At that time it was one of the most anticipated fights in MMA history (and) my fight with Josh can be that as well."

The proposed Fedor vs. Barnett matchup is not only intriguing because of their exisiting friendship, but because of Barnett's tremendous wrestling skills. We asked Fedor if he feels Barnett poses greater danger as an opponent because of his ability to control a fight.

"Every opponent is a danger for me and Barnett has a great ground game," he acknowledged. "He is capable of adjusting his gameplan any minute in the fight."

In Fedor's most recent fight, he took on an opponent in Andrei Arlovski who has received great acclaim for his striking ability. Despite a slow start, Fedor still managed to knock Arlovski out at just 3:14 of round 1. When asked whether he felt Barnett might be able to stand with him, Fedor was less than certain.

"I don’t know," the Stary Oskol native responded in succinct fashion, before adding, "I think Josh and his team has made his striking really good for an MMA purpose."

In addition to the rumored fight with Barnett, Fedor has also recently been in the news following his special sparring exhibition on April 29 vs. Shinya Aoki as well as recent public comments by Frank Mir. When he was aprised of Mir's comments in which he expressed his belief he'd beat Fedor, Emelianenko offered a diplomatic response.

"Once again, I respect every fighter. Every fight is a challenge for me and Frank Mir would be as well."

Regarding the exhibition vs. Aoki, Fedor indicated it was all done in good fun.

"It was just playing... It was fun! It makes me happy to promote the sport of MMA with such a great champion as Aoki."

While it was not an official match, the exhibition was the first time fight fans in Japan were able to see Fedor compete in person since his Dec. 31, 2007 victory over Hong Man Choi at Yarrenoka! We asked Fedor if competing in Japan in New Year's Eve this year was a possibility. While he was unsure, he also didn't rule it out.

"I don’t know yet but New Year's Eve is always a big challenge for me and I love fighting in Japan," he commented.

While Fedor's fight vs. Barnett has yet to be confirmed, one thing that is official is that Fedor and his M-1 teammate Gegard Mousasi will both travel to the United States next week to attend the "Fifth Edition" of the 2009 "M-1 Challenge Presented by Affliction" on June 5 at Memorial Hall in Kansas City.

During the interview, Fedor was asked if he was able to watch Mousasi's victory earlier this week against Mark Hunt in the first round of DREAM's "Super Hulk" tournament.

"Yes, I saw his fight," he answered. "I am very proud of him and I think he did very well!"

Mousasi will be in Kansas City to coach Turkey, while Fedor will simply be an observer with his Team Imperial squad not scheduled to compete again until July 4 in Seoul, South Korea. After winning the 2008 M-1 Challenge Championship Cup, Team Imperial has fallen on hard times, starting out the 2009 season with an 0-2 record. Fedor was asked whether he felt Imperial still had a chance to qualify for the playoffs.

"Theoretically it’s still possible but it’s going to be tough," said Fedor. "It’s not exactly the same team as last year but we have some great talents in there like Mikhail Zayats and Dmitry Samoilov who have really great potential."

Boomer.....
6/2/2009, 08:39 AM
Kimbo Slice scores slot on The Ultimate Fighter 10 cast

"Kimbo Slice," the controversial heavyweight who in 2008 headlined the most-viewed mixed martial arts card in history, will be one of 16 contestants on the forthcoming season of "The Ultimate Fighter," the UFC's reality TV series.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15060/kimbo-slice-scores-the-ultimate-fighter-10-slot.mma

OU4LIFE
6/2/2009, 10:08 AM
I hope he gets pwned.

Boomer.....
6/2/2009, 11:21 AM
Oh, he will. It's going to be funny to see him get into the octagon with someone with even an ounce of talent unlike those scrubs the Elite XC was giving him.

tbl
6/3/2009, 12:38 AM
I'd love to see these two go at it on the ground. How awesome would that be?

Gay... ;)

Machida wins this one, though IF the Shogun of old shows up, things could get interesting. Machida has a way of neutralizing his opponents though, and if Shogun goes balls out attacks on Machida, he's going to get countered.

and jokes aside, I wouldn't want to see Machida on the ground. I dig his karate style and enjoy watching him from his feet.

Knippz
6/3/2009, 12:46 AM
I was actually really interested in seeing Mir go to the ground with Nog. Unfortunately it didn't happen. Mir wouldn't have a chance against Fedor.

OU4LIFE
6/3/2009, 06:04 AM
are you kidding me? ever since the accident, Mir would have a hard time against a blanket.

KC//CRIMSON
6/3/2009, 03:32 PM
Gay... ;)

Machida wins this one, though IF the Shogun of old shows up, things could get interesting. Machida has a way of neutralizing his opponents though, and if Shogun goes balls out attacks on Machida, he's going to get countered.

and jokes aside, I wouldn't want to see Machida on the ground. I dig his karate style and enjoy watching him from his feet.

Both of them have a BJJ-Blackbelt, and that would be fun to see, IMO.

Knippz
6/4/2009, 02:10 AM
are you kidding me? ever since the accident, Mir would have a hard time against a blanket.

The only thing that was really affected in the accident was his knees. Supposedly they are 100% now. Mir's jits is top notch. Not sure if it's at Nogs level, but it would have been interesting.

OU4LIFE
6/4/2009, 06:14 AM
Don't get me wrong, I don't question Mir's ability....

Knippz
6/5/2009, 06:01 AM
Now I have to root for Wandy to KO Franklin, so he challenges Anderson. Save the rematch with Hendo (or destruction of Bisping). I want Andy vs Wandy! If he comes off an impressive victory over Franklin, who wouldn't get psyched for that fight?

KC//CRIMSON
6/5/2009, 11:23 AM
Fedor Emelianenko's management proposes 1-fight deal with UFC

Joost Raimond, the operations manager of M-1 Global and part of Fedor Emelianenko's management team, has formally invited the winner of the UFC's upcoming heavyweight championship bout between Frank Mir and Brock Lesnar, set for UFC 100 in July, to attend Affliction: "Trilogy". The thought is that if Emelianenko can get passed Josh Barnett, then a one-fight contract would kick in and the UFC would be permitted to fully promote a fight between Emelianenko and either Mir or Lesnar.

A one fight contract, even with a fighter as talented as Emelianenko, is extremely unlikely however. The UFC rarely does one-fight deals and always has a champions clause in their contracts which allows them to prevent champions from leaving the promotion.

Raimond believes that the organization needs to make an exception however, for his exceptional fighter.

"They want the fighter's mind, soul, body, heritage and his two cats and dog if they can get it," Raimond recently told the LA Times. "Let's not do this with Fedor. Let's try to figure out how to do this, because Fedor is willing to fight anyone, anytime, anywhere. We have an exceptional fighter here. People are saying, 'Let's see him fight the best.'

The UFC and Emelianenko's management team met quite a few times after PRIDE, a former Japanese MMA organization, was purchased by the UFC, but were unable to come to an agreement that would place the popular Russian inside a UFC octagon. Raimond blames the UFC's notoriously difficult contractual conditions.

"Under the present [contractual] conditions, nothing will be considered for any amount of money," said Raymond. "That last contract they offered us doesn't work out."

Both sides claim that they will attempt to meet sometime this summer after Emelianenko's 3-fight contract runs its course. Emelianenko himself and UFC President Dana White have reportedly never met.

Knippz
6/5/2009, 11:53 AM
Great info. A Lesnar-Fedor fight would no doubt be the biggest draw ever. Do I think Dana will go for it? Probably not, but he can surprise sometimes. Do I think Lesnar or Mir have a shot? Unlikely. Unless Lesnar shows HUGE signs of improvement and dominates Mir, I don't see him having even an outside shot. Mir would have to thoroughly dominate Lesnar to convince me he would stand a chance. At least both sides are making offers consistently. Exciting

KC//CRIMSON
6/6/2009, 12:30 AM
Fedor was in Kansas City tonight doing some promo stuff. Wish I had found out sooner instead of just five minutes ago. Doh!

Knippz
6/6/2009, 01:14 AM
Fedor was in Kansas City tonight doing some promo stuff. Wish I had found out sooner instead of just five minutes ago. Doh!

Ouch. Must be a killer for such a big fan as you. You'll get a chance someday, considering he actually fights in America now.

Also, I'd like to hear your opinion about the Barnett fight. I personally think Barnett gets destroyed, but I also don't think Barnett is very good. I think he's only done good because he hasn't really faced top competition.

On the other hand, regardless that Fedor hasn't faced the top 5 guys on a consistent basis, I still think he'd tear through anyone in the HW division right now. I want to see him in the UFC so badly because I'd like to see the different ways he would beat the current top HW's in the UFC. How does he beat Lesnar, Mir, Kongo, Carwin, Randy (ha), Cain, etc. I have no doubt he'd run through all of them, but it'd be interesting to see how. For what it's worth, I don't think Barnett would beat any of the above, except Randy.

Knippz
6/6/2009, 01:17 AM
Good point. However, I stand by my opinion that it wouldn't be boring. I like the strategy they both employ, even when most fans consider it boring.

I certainly am very interested in how the fight would play out. I think one would eventually go full on attack, and with 2 of the most insane strikers and elusive fighters, who gets caught worse? I think it's the most interesting match-up I could fathom.

tbl
6/6/2009, 11:19 AM
No way does the UFC do a 1 fight deal with Fedor. No way. I don't believe Fedor would literally run through all HW's in the UFC either. If Arlovski hadn't gotten stupid and done that flying leap into Fedor's fist, he was actually winning that fight. Of course that's not to say that wouldn't have happened later on in the fight, but still... Also, Cro-Cop took Fedor to the cards in a great fight and it looks like CC is coming back to the UFC, hopefully focused and in great condition. Let's not forget Fedor lost his first Sambo match recently too.

Knippz
6/6/2009, 11:59 AM
No way does the UFC do a 1 fight deal with Fedor. No way. I don't believe Fedor would literally run through all HW's in the UFC either. If Arlovski hadn't gotten stupid and done that flying leap into Fedor's fist, he was actually winning that fight. Of course that's not to say that wouldn't have happened later on in the fight, but still... Also, Cro-Cop took Fedor to the cards in a great fight and it looks like CC is coming back to the UFC, hopefully focused and in great condition. Let's not forget Fedor lost his first Sambo match recently too.

I'm not trying to jock Fedor or anything, but I look at the HW division and see only a few names that could pose a legitimate threat to him. Lesnar stands out first, based on sheer power, size, and speed. He's learning the game quick, and has insane physical gifts. Give me sh*t about it if you want, Lesnar is now a serious threat to anyone. Mir is outclassed in every aspect, except maybe gameplanning. Cro Cop hasn't looked even decent in years. Kongo can't wrestle. Cain looked less than stellar in his last match. Randy and Nog are washed. Carwin I suppose poses a threat, but I still think he has much to learn (and a ton of potential).

Believe me, I definitely don't think he's invincible by any means, and personally can't wait for him to lose. I just don't think it will happen this year. Maybe Lesnar. Maybe.

KC//CRIMSON
6/6/2009, 02:32 PM
Also, I'd like to hear your opinion about the Barnett fight. I personally think Barnett gets destroyed, but I also don't think Barnett is very good. I think he's only done good because he hasn't really faced top competition.

Josh Barnett is a top ten heavyweight and will give Fedor a good fight (I think.) Dude has got some heavy hands. You have to remember he was the youngest person to ever become UFC heavyweight champion back in '02. I think he would do very well in the UFC if he ever went back (or if they let him back, he had the steroid thingy going on.) His striking has gotten a lot better and his ground game is really good. He's young and will give a lot of guys fits in the future.

Knippz
6/6/2009, 03:22 PM
Here's to hoping he at least gives Fedor a good fight...

Knippz
6/7/2009, 05:25 AM
Strikeforce card was great. Good show, they are gaining my respect as a legitimate promoter. Legit competitor? No. But still good fights.

OU4LIFE
6/8/2009, 06:05 AM
good fights last night on WEC, Faber loses a decision to Mike Brown again, but if he had not broken his hand in the first round, I'm pretty sure Uriah wins it. If for nothing else just being able to hold onto the choke he sunk in late in the fight. That was nasty deep and Brown would have been in huge trouble if Faber could have used his right hand.

Sooner_Bob
6/8/2009, 07:51 AM
good fights last night on WEC, Faber loses a decision to Mike Brown again, but if he had not broken his hand in the first round, I'm pretty sure Uriah wins it. If for nothing else just being able to hold onto the choke he sunk in late in the fight. That was nasty deep and Brown would have been in huge trouble if Faber could have used his right hand.

Maybe . . . Jose Aldo is gonna KO Mike Brown anyway. :P

Sooner_Bob
6/8/2009, 07:53 AM
Here's to hoping he at least gives Fedor a good fight...

I have no doubt that Josh will give Fedor a good fight . . . I don't remember the last time Fedor fought someone who has the submission skills of Barnett.

Sooner_Bob
6/8/2009, 08:09 AM
Good grief, I can't believe I'm posting this...

Hong Man Choi vs. Jose Canseco

http://www.mmalinker.com/xExternal.php?vidid=16104

Jose did way better than Johnny Morton . . . :P

Sooner_Bob
6/8/2009, 08:11 AM
I hope he gets pwned.

Really? You wouldn't find it just a tad bit ironic if he won a fight or two on the show?

KC//CRIMSON
6/9/2009, 06:17 PM
Former IFL Champion Roy Nelson and UFC Vet Wes Sims Join TUF 10

Former IFL Champion Roy Nelson and UFC Vet Wes Sims Join TUF 10 According to MMA Madness, several huge, and I mean literally huge, additions have been confirmed for the TUF 10 cast, which already included former EliteXC fighter and YouTube sensation Kimbo Slice and four NFL veterans who have converted to Mixed Martial Arts. The two reported additions, according to sources close to the show, include non-other than former IFL Heavyweight champion Roy “Big Country” Nelson and a returning UFC veteran in Hammerhouse product, Wes Sims.

The TUF 10 show, set to debut September 16 on Spike TV, will feature a cast of all-heavyweight fighters to be coached by light heavyweight contenders Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and “Sugar” Rashard Evans.

Those expecting Kimbo Slice to walk through the cast will be saddened to hear that Nelson is in the show. “Big Country” comes into the shot at a UFC contract with a 13-4 record and a win over TUF finalist Brad Imes. He is well-rounded with over half of his wins coming by knockout, and a few others via submission. His only losses in the past two years have been to fellow veterans and proven heavyweights in Andrei Arlovski, Ben Rothwell, and Jeff Monson. With his addition, Roy Nelson becomes the immediate favorite to get to the finals.

Wes Sims comes into the show as one of the tallest competitors on the show. At six foot ten, the wild-swinging Sims will be a tall order to defeat for Kimbo or anyone else on the show. He’s not considered a blue chip prospect by any means, but does have some notable fights under his belt in losses to former champion Tim Sylvia and current UFC interim champion, Frank Mir.

With Kimbo, Nelson, and Sims on the show along with NFL veterans Marcus Jones and Brendan Schaub, this season of the UFC reality show is shaping up to be the most exciting yet.

Sooner_Bob
6/10/2009, 06:08 PM
Former IFL Champion Roy Nelson and UFC Vet Wes Sims Join TUF 10

Former IFL Champion Roy Nelson and UFC Vet Wes Sims Join TUF 10 According to MMA Madness, several huge, and I mean literally huge, additions have been confirmed for the TUF 10 cast, which already included former EliteXC fighter and YouTube sensation Kimbo Slice and four NFL veterans who have converted to Mixed Martial Arts. The two reported additions, according to sources close to the show, include non-other than former IFL Heavyweight champion Roy “Big Country” Nelson and a returning UFC veteran in Hammerhouse product, Wes Sims.

The TUF 10 show, set to debut September 16 on Spike TV, will feature a cast of all-heavyweight fighters to be coached by light heavyweight contenders Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and “Sugar” Rashard Evans.

Those expecting Kimbo Slice to walk through the cast will be saddened to hear that Nelson is in the show. “Big Country” comes into the shot at a UFC contract with a 13-4 record and a win over TUF finalist Brad Imes. He is well-rounded with over half of his wins coming by knockout, and a few others via submission. His only losses in the past two years have been to fellow veterans and proven heavyweights in Andrei Arlovski, Ben Rothwell, and Jeff Monson. With his addition, Roy Nelson becomes the immediate favorite to get to the finals.

Wes Sims comes into the show as one of the tallest competitors on the show. At six foot ten, the wild-swinging Sims will be a tall order to defeat for Kimbo or anyone else on the show. He’s not considered a blue chip prospect by any means, but does have some notable fights under his belt in losses to former champion Tim Sylvia and current UFC interim champion, Frank Mir.

With Kimbo, Nelson, and Sims on the show along with NFL veterans Marcus Jones and Brendan Schaub, this season of the UFC reality show is shaping up to be the most exciting yet.

I saw that posted on Sherdog . . . but nothing about on the UFC site. If that is legit then this next season of TUF could go down as one of the most competitive ever.

Too bad Dana isn't using some actual Heavies to coach.

KC//CRIMSON
6/10/2009, 06:32 PM
Dana on Cro-Cop's 1 fight deal "I've never done this before"

When Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic returns from a nearly two-year break from the organization and fights at UFC 99, he'll do so under an unprecedented one-fight deal.

UFC President Dana White confirmed the unusual arrangement during a recent media call with the Filipovic (24-6-2 MMA, 1-2 UFC), who takes on Mustapha Al-Turk (6-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) in a UFC 99 televised main-card bout.

"In this history of the company, I've never done this with anybody ever," White said of the deal. "I've never done that ever in nine years of being in this business."

White, currently in Germany for Saturday's pay-per-view event at Cologne's Lanxess Arena, said Filipovic's return resulted from a simple call the fighter made to him.

"When Mirko and I talked on the phone, the day that he said that he wanted to come back, let me tell you he was all fired up and basically saying, 'Listen, I got my surgery, I've been training, I want this, I want to come back, I want to win that title, and I want to take a run at it,'" said White, who estimated the deal was reached in just three days' time.

Filipovic, a longtime PRIDE fighter perhaps best known for winning the organization's 2006 Open-Weight Grand Prix, entered the UFC in 2007, when he was still ranked as one of the world's very top heavyweights. However, after a win over Eddie Sanchez in his UFC debut, the Croatian fighter suffered back-to-back losses to Gabriel Gonzaga (via stunning head-kick KO) and Cheick Kongo.

The UFC and the 34-year-old fighter split ways soon after, though both sides said it was a temporary split and that the ultimate goal was for "Cro Cop" to return to the UFC. Filipovic has since competed three times for DREAM, going 2-0 (with a no-contest with Alistair Overeem). Filipovic said he wanted to return to the UFC, where he knows he failed to live up to expectations, especially with the UFC heading to Europe for Germany's first-ever UFC card.

"I owe a lot to the UFC and to the UFC fans," he said. "I owe a lot. ... (The) UFC was the black spot in my career and in my life, and I'm the man who dedicates his life to fighting, and I just want ... to justify the (trust) Dana White gave me two years ago and calling me to UFC after I went from PRIDE."

Filipovic repeatedly tried to dodge questions about his health during his first UFC stint. He began to discuss some injuries but cut himself short and said he didn't want to make any excuses. However, he said he's entering Saturday's bout fully healthy following recent knee surgery, in good spirits and with a sound mind. White said any decisions about his future in the organization after UFC 99 will be made after the show is over.

"I just want to return to return to the top, and I just want to prove everyone that they were wrong," Filipovic said. "They were wrong. I just hope that God will give me the strength that I can prove my worth. I don't like to talk too much now on the phone about it because I have to prove my worth in the cage.

"And that's exactly what I'm going to do."

Okay, Peterhead, if you can do it for Cro-Cop, you can do it for Fedor.

KC//CRIMSON
6/10/2009, 06:50 PM
Cro-Cop Press Conference

http://video.ufc.tv/99/ufc99_crocop_call.mp3

Sounds like he's ready to go and determined. We shall see....

tbl
6/10/2009, 07:31 PM
Nelson should win that season. Dude is a fat slob, but he's actually a decent fighter. This next season could be pretty good...

Sooner_Bob
6/11/2009, 07:22 AM
Okay, Peterhead, if you can do it for Cro-Cop, you can do it for Fedor.

So Fedor gets one fight in the UFC. Who would he fight?

I don't think I care to see him destroy Randy at this point. The only HWs that I think have a remote chance against him would be Mir, Carwin might make it interesting for a little while, and maybe Brock.

I think the UFC needs to beef up their Heavies before they talk to Fedor seriously about a possible one fight deal.

I'll admit though, it would be cool to see a Fedor/Cro Cop rematch in the UFC.

KC//CRIMSON
6/11/2009, 12:48 PM
So Fedor gets one fight in the UFC. Who would he fight?

I don't think I care to see him destroy Randy at this point. The only HWs that I think have a remote chance against him would be Mir, Carwin might make it interesting for a little while, and maybe Brock.

I think the UFC needs to beef up their Heavies before they talk to Fedor seriously about a possible one fight deal.

I'll admit though, it would be cool to see a Fedor/Cro Cop rematch in the UFC.

He would have to fight the current champ, whoever that may be, it only makes sense. I'd like to see him and Mir go at it. I don't think the other two have a complete game yet to hang with him. I also think Josh Barnett would be a very good measuring stick to see how he would do against Mir.

tbl
6/12/2009, 04:06 PM
Barnetts BJJ is not near where Mir's is...

Sooner_Bob
6/12/2009, 04:11 PM
Did you guys hear that Gina and Cyborg are getting 5 minute rounds?

KC//CRIMSON
6/12/2009, 04:31 PM
Barnetts BJJ is not near where Mir's is...

Barnett is no chump on the ground. Dude's got something like 15-20 wins via submissions.

KC//CRIMSON
6/13/2009, 02:30 PM
This first fight is great. Hardy and Marcus teeing off.

tbl
6/13/2009, 11:18 PM
That should've won FOTN. Overall I was pretty happy with the card. I still can't believe Cro-Cop renigged on the deal and actually had a 3 fight deal with Dream. That's pretty hardcore, especially considering all the talk he gave prior to the fight. Makes me look forward to him getting KO'd sometime soon.

KC//CRIMSON
6/14/2009, 12:05 AM
That should've won FOTN. Overall I was pretty happy with the card. I still can't believe Cro-Cop renigged on the deal and actually had a 3 fight deal with Dream. That's pretty hardcore, especially considering all the talk he gave prior to the fight. Makes me look forward to him getting KO'd sometime soon.

Pretty ballsy, but there were probably other factors we'll never hear about. I wouldn't trust Dana White as far as I could throw him.

Knippz
6/14/2009, 03:28 AM
Big story here is Sylvia getting KTFO'd by Mercer. WOW! Is there any question now of Fedor's lack of competition? If there is at all, then people are blind. I still think he is the best HW, but man does this taint the last few years of his career.

I love Wandy. Quite possibly the greatest thing to ever happen to MMA. He's done though. He looked slow, tired, and at times unwilling to engage. He's not the Wandy of old, but just like Chuck , he's done more than enough for himself and the sport. I just don't want to see him end on such a bad note as Chuck.

I had Davis winning the fight. Unsure how the judges could have possibly scored it that way.

Miragliotta did a terrible job reffing. How obvious was it that Al-Turk got poked in the eye?! Wow. Bye bye Cro Cops career and reputation.

Cain got rocked a couple of times, but very impressive wrestling! I think he'd be screwed in a match against Lesnar or Mir though. He needs to work on his stand-up desperately. As does Kongo on his wrestling.

I've always been impressed with Franklin, so tonight was nothing new for me. I think he should move back to 185 and just wait out Anderson's contract. His other achiles heel Machida won't be retiring for awhile. There's not much for him at 205.

Swick didn't do enough to make me think he'd stand a chance against GSP or Alves. Give Swick Fitch to measure him up. He get passed Fitch and I'll take him very serious.

Breadburner
6/14/2009, 12:10 PM
I would love to see Fedor pick Lesnar apart....

KC//CRIMSON
6/14/2009, 12:49 PM
Big story here is Sylvia getting KTFO'd by Mercer. WOW! Is there any question now of Fedor's lack of competition? If there is at all, then people are blind. I still think he is the best HW, but man does this taint the last few years of his career.

The argument could also be made at the weak UFC HW division:

It took Fedor an additional 20 seconds to dispose of Sylvia. Took Randy Couture an additional 24 minutes. And he didn't even dispose of Sylvia.

Frank Mir, the current man to beat in the UFC; got TKO'd by Brandon Vera, Mario Cruz and Ian Freeman. All those guys lost to Arlovski and Sylvia.

Arlovski was ranked #2 when Fedor fought him.
Sylvia was ranked #4 when Fedor fought him.

Fedor can't help it if his opponents can't recover after losing to him.

Zulu 2-5
Coleman 2-4
Hunt 0-3
Lindland 1-1
Hong Man 1-1
Sylvia 1-4 in last 5
Arlovski 0-2

Sylvia should have never taken that fight. Anyone who takes a solid hit to the chin from a former Olympic HW Champion is going to get dropped. Not to mention the idiot came in at 310 pounds and had not fought in over a year. Stupid.

tbl
6/14/2009, 03:27 PM
Much better than the GSP version posted a while back.

6EpsAhDWSBM

tbl
6/14/2009, 03:29 PM
Much better than the GSP version posted a while back.

6EpsAhDWSBM

tbl
6/14/2009, 03:30 PM
bqK6yJaE4mY

Knippz
6/14/2009, 05:21 PM
The argument could also be made at the weak UFC HW division:

It took Fedor an additional 20 seconds to dispose of Sylvia. Took Randy Couture an additional 24 minutes. And he didn't even dispose of Sylvia.

Frank Mir, the current man to beat in the UFC; got TKO'd by Brandon Vera, Mario Cruz and Ian Freeman. All those guys lost to Arlovski and Sylvia.

Arlovski was ranked #2 when Fedor fought him.
Sylvia was ranked #4 when Fedor fought him.

Fedor can't help it if his opponents can't recover after losing to him.

Zulu 2-5
Coleman 2-4
Hunt 0-3
Lindland 1-1
Hong Man 1-1
Sylvia 1-4 in last 5
Arlovski 0-2

Sylvia should have never taken that fight. Anyone who takes a solid hit to the chin from a former Olympic HW Champion is going to get dropped. Not to mention the idiot came in at 310 pounds and had not fought in over a year. Stupid.

I agree with you that Sylvia is an idiot and possibly the biggest disgrace to the sport ever. Regardless, everyone gets pressed for their "lack of competition." Fedor's latest competition looks like sh*t. Plain and simple. Every other fighter takes the flak for the "lack of competition" thing too.

Regardless, I just want to see Fedor either run through the UFC HW division or get owned. Either one sounds nice to me. I just want some good fights, and this guy can bring them.

Sooner_Bob
6/15/2009, 07:35 AM
When a former HW boxing champ connects his fist with your chin you're probably going to go down . . . Tim Sylvia or Fedor probably wouldn't matter.

It'll be interesting to see what Timmah does next.

OU4LIFE
6/15/2009, 07:47 AM
retire and just be a redneck.

Sooner_Bob
6/15/2009, 08:11 AM
Cro Cop is denying rumors that he signed a three fight deal with DREAM. Apparently Dana overreacted as usual.

Doesn't Timmah have a fight scheduled for the next Affliction PPV?

tbl
6/15/2009, 08:15 AM
Probably not now...

Sooner_Bob
6/15/2009, 09:44 AM
He needs to fight Warpath.

Knippz
6/15/2009, 05:18 PM
Following swift loss to Ray Mercer, Tim Sylvia now pulled from "Affliction: Trilogy" card

Following his embarrassing 10-second loss to 48-year-old former boxing heavyweight champion Ray Mercer at this past weekend's "Adrenaline MMA III: Bragging Rights" event, Tim Sylvia has been pulled from the Aug. 1 "Affliction: Trilogy" card.

The news comes from MMA FanHouse.

Sylvia, who lost to Mercer in an MMA bout after the Association of Boxing Commissions nixed plans for a boxing exhibition at the Mississippi event, had been slated to fight Paul Buentello in an Affliction pay-per-view main-card bout.

According to the report, Affliction Entertainment Vice President Tom Atencio solely made the decision and didn't bother to contact the California State Athletic Commission, which would have needed to approve the fight. "Affliction: Trilogy" takes place at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

"It's his second knockout in a row, and I don't want to take a chance on anything," Atencio told FanHouse. "The fight is less than 60 days away."

(Video of the Sylvia-Mercer fight can be found below.)

According to the report, Atencio said Buentello could instead face the winner of a June 27 "Ultimate Chaos" fight between Affliction heavyweights Pedro Rizzo and Gilbert Yvel.

Being pulled from the Affliction card will likely cost Sylvia a solid payday. In his only other Affliction fight, he earned $800,000 in a main-event loss to Fedor Emelianenko at "Banned" in July 2008.

For the latest on "Affliction: Trilogy," stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

tbl
6/15/2009, 09:50 PM
Saw this coming a mile away... What an idiot. He should've listened to Jens.

Knippz
6/16/2009, 12:23 AM
Jens is an idiot. He's no legend, just bad.

Sooner_Bob
6/16/2009, 07:02 AM
Jens is an idiot? Why?

tbl
6/16/2009, 09:00 AM
Jens said in an interview this is exactly what could happen and he was advising Sylvia not to take the fight. What's ignorant about being 100% correct? Stay in context, dude.

Sooner_Bob
6/16/2009, 11:01 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking . . . like him or not Jens knows what he's talking about most of the time.

I really wish he would've TKO'd BJ Penn after they were coaches on TUF. I can't stand that guy.

Knippz
6/16/2009, 12:41 PM
Wow, what happened to sarcasm?

Sooner_Bob
6/16/2009, 01:30 PM

Too many days posting on Sherdog . . . ;)

Knippz
6/16/2009, 02:52 PM
Too many days posting on Sherdog . . . ;)

Oh Lord, why oh why would you go there?

Sooner_Bob
6/16/2009, 04:04 PM
Oh Lord, why oh why would you go there?

The Plat forum is where it's at . . . :)

KC//CRIMSON
6/17/2009, 09:49 PM
Despite confirmation from top officials at both DREAM and the UFC, Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic continues to deny that he's signed a contract with DREAM, a Japanese promotion.

"I have nothing to hide or to be ashamed of," Cro Cop told Index.hr through The Sun. "The thing is very simple. I know the truth and Dana knows the truth - I had a one fight deal with UFC and I fulfilled my contractual obligation. I said we're going to sit down and talk after UFC 99. The thing was blown out of proportion."

The "thing" Cro Cop is referring to is stems from comments Dana White made to Yahoo! Sports Kevin Iole. White told Iole following UFC 99 that the Croatian fighter had gone behind his back and signed a 3-fight deal with DREAM. White was furious in his comments.

"Isn't that a dirty [expletive"> thing to do," White told Iole. "He [expletived"> me. The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal and he [expletived"> me.... He didn't keep his word. He talked about honor and all this other [expletive"> and he [expletived"> me. He fed me this bull [expletive"> about wanting to take a run for the title, and what I think he did was, he went out and did this. He turned down every other [expletive"> fighter I offered him, because I needed him to fight Cain. He didn't just poke Al-Turk; he poked me, too."

All of this was news to Cro Cop, who continues insisting he's a free agent and open to continuing talks with the UFC and DREAM.

"They know in the UFC I did my part of the deal so I don't think we'll have any problems," Cro Cop said. "I haven't signed anything yet with any organization and, as I said, I'm prepared to talk with both sides. I've never been in a sweeter yet more difficult position. Dream offers me more fights but on the other hand I'm aware of the quality in the UFC."

At issue for Cro Cop is the desire to fight more than the UFC is currently offering. According to Cro Cop the UFC wouldn't offer him a fight until six months from now, DREAM will apparently allow the former PRIDE open weight champion to fight more often.

"The problem is I'm 35 and I'm finally healthy," Cro Cop explained. "The UFC is offering me a fight six months from now. Even before UFC 99 I said that won't work for me but they said something like they're going to change it. I said even before that I want to fight three more times this year. I don't really care if it's in the ring or inside the Octagon.

Cro Cop believes that if the UFC can't offer him more fights than perhaps a compromise can be reached by all sides.

"I still stand behind my words and I know the best fighters are in the UFC. But it isn't winning the UFC belt that matters, it's how much I fight. If they're offering me the next fight in six months, I don't see how I could take it. That belt is still my goal - but I want to have a couple of fights in a next few months. I don't see why I can't fight in Japan for a few fights and then return to the UFC. That is also an option. What matters is that I feel great physically. I can almost say that I have never felt better."

Selling points for returning to DREAM according to Cro Cop come down to the ability to fight more often and the possibility to avenge a big loss to world consensus number one heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko.

"I'm a big star in Japan and I can be on every card I want there. I have a lot of fans there who want me to return. They offer me way more fights and there is always a possibility that a fight with Fedor could occur."

Knippz
6/21/2009, 11:59 AM
Cro Cop is denying rumors that he signed a three fight deal with DREAM. Apparently Dana overreacted as usual.

Doesn't Timmah have a fight scheduled for the next Affliction PPV?

No, Cro Cop did sign a deal with dream. He's already signed his first fight. It's cool, I know everyone here is a Dana White hater and all, but don't put your foot in your mouth everytime you thrash him.

KC//CRIMSON
6/21/2009, 12:13 PM
Dana White Hints at Possible Vitor Belfort-Anderson Silva Title Fight

Is Vitor Belfort headed back to the UFC? During Saturday night's "Ultimate Finale" telecast on Spike, UFC president Dana White told Amir Sadollah during an "Inside the Octagon" segment that he is considering booking the former UFC light heavyweight champion in a middleweight title fight against current champion, Anderson Silva.

"If his head is right, he's a dangerous, dangerous guy," White said. "I think that would be a great a match-up."

Belfort is currently scheduled to face Jorge Santiago at "Affliction: Trilogy" on August 1. With that in mind, I was surprised to hear White talk about a fighter who is currently contracted to another organization. Affliction vice president, Tom Atencio, confirmed with FanHouse on Saturday night that the Belfort-Santiago middleweight fight is still on, but also added that the Brazilian fighter only has one fight remaining on his Affliction contract.

White has openly talked about not being happy with Silva's last two title defenses, and also spoke about wanting to find better challenges for "The Spider."

"I just feel like I need to challenge this guy," he said. "That's the reason that I put this fight together with Forrest [Griffin]. Forrest is going to make him fight.

"I know [Silva] wants to stay at 185 pounds. So while he's fighting Forrest, I'm working right now on some other 185-pounders."

In April, White told Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole that he was working on signing a middleweight fighter that "would blow your mind." I'm not sure if Belfort's return to the Octagon would qualify as such a huge shocker, but he would certainly be a nice addition to the mix.

This will/would be a great fight. Vitor has looked really good as of late and has the skills to hang with or beat A. Silva.

tbl
6/21/2009, 10:58 PM
Dude that was an awesome night of fights. The Guida/Sanchez fight was one of the best fights I've ever seen. Joe Daddy and Nate was greatness too. Kudos to Dana giving FOTN bonuses to all the fighters that deserved it.

Boomer.....
6/22/2009, 07:45 AM
The Guida vs Sanchez fight was allsome! Diego rocked Guida the entire first round and he somehow didn't go down, except for the head kick. He is one tough dude! The fight could have easily went to either fighter but I'm happy that Diego won.

Knippz
6/22/2009, 04:27 PM
To Vitor Belfort possible UFC return - Sweet! I hope this fight happens! I don't think he has the skills to beat Anderson, but I do think he has the potential to give him a good fight. As his career winds down, I'm happy to see Dana trying to get him the best fights.

Sooner_Bob
6/23/2009, 08:01 AM
No, Cro Cop did sign a deal with dream. He's already signed his first fight. It's cool, I know everyone here is a Dana White hater and all, but don't put your foot in your mouth everytime you thrash him.

Say what? What I have posted on here to imply I was a Dana White hater? Where did I thrash anyone?

And my foot won't fight in my mouth . . . :confused:

OU4LIFE
6/23/2009, 09:05 AM
maybe it will fit in knippz ***, bob.

Sooner_Bob
6/23/2009, 11:41 AM
maybe it will fit in knippz ***, bob.

:D

Knippz
6/23/2009, 01:01 PM
Say what? What I have posted on here to imply I was a Dana White hater? Where did I thrash anyone?

And my foot won't fight in my mouth . . . :confused:

"...Dana overreacted as usual."

This implies that you think Dana regularly overreacts about things. While I would certainly agree that he has overreacted about a few things, I still think he handles things quite well. I understand people hate him for a reason, and rightfully so. I respect him as a business man.

Nice one "maybe it will fit in his ***." Sounds like something a whorn would say.

Knippz
6/23/2009, 01:06 PM
I can usually sense bias against Dana White.

The point is, numerous reports had confirmed that Cro Cop signed with Dream, including Dream themselves. Yet still, blindly or bias or whatever, you believed an interview of Cro Cop after these reports were confirmed and blamed it on Dana overreacting.

OU4LIFE
6/24/2009, 05:14 AM

This implies that you think Dana regularly overreacts about things. While I would certainly agree that he has overreacted about a few things, I still think he handles things quite well. I understand people hate him for a reason, and rightfully so. I respect him as a business man.

Nice one "maybe it will fit in his ***." Sounds like something a whorn would say.

Dear Mr. 421 post guy,

Be careful who you call a whorn,

Sincerely,
Me

Sooner_Bob
6/24/2009, 07:40 AM

Wow. My thinking Dana overreacted = Dana bashing. Dana has done a lot of good things for MMA and Dana has said a few things and overreacted a few times that IMO wasn't all that great for MMA.

I can usually sense bias against Dana White.

The point is, numerous reports had confirmed that Cro Cop signed with Dream, including Dream themselves. Yet still, blindly or bias or whatever, you believed an interview of Cro Cop after these reports were confirmed and blamed it on Dana overreacting.

Confirmed by who? I haven't seen an official statement from Cro Cop yet. So until he actually says I'm fighting Allistair Overeem in July (which is something he really wants to do again) I'll hold off on saying he's totally done with the UFC.

Look, I don't really care where he fights, but I would like to see Cro Cop stay in the UFC to fight Lesnar, Mir or any of the other HWs. But he in no way deserves all the crap he's received for agreeing to and fighting the one fight in the UFC. He has stated numerous times that he feels better than he has in years and would like to fight as much as possible. I think if he stays with the UFC he probably would only get one maybe two fights the rest of this year. If and I mean IF he goes back to DREAM he might be able to get another additional fight or two. DREAM has no problem with "their" fighters appearing in other promotions or even fighting in K-1 events. You can't fault a guy for wanting to fight as much as he physically can.

Sooner_Bob
6/24/2009, 07:42 AM
Dear Mr. 421 post guy,

Be careful who you call a whorn,

Sincerely,
Me

Yep . . . that's really not something you wanna do and expect it to help your cause.

Knippz
6/24/2009, 09:27 AM
A. I'd like Cro Cop in the UFC as well, but I'd also like to see the Overeem rematch.

B. OU4Life - I know who I am talking to. Just because I have few post doesn't mean I don't have common sense.

During football season I get nothing but good spek (really I've got like 4 negs ever). Why is this? Because we all have a common agreement. But over here in MMA, even OUr fans can't have a civil argument. It's stupid.

I know who you are. It doesn't disregard that you made a doosh comment to another OU fan. Foot in mouth is much different than foot in ***.

OU4LIFE
6/24/2009, 10:18 AM
a doosh comment?

Dude, I've agreed with you more than once on this board, and even in regards to MMA stuff. Please point me to where I said you don't have any common sense. I must have missed that.

I also must have missed the 'argument' where Bob was a Dana hater(talk about overreacting to a comment), and then YOU told him to stop putting his foot in his mouth. We apparently have differing opinions of a civil argument. You can't seriously consider him saying Dana overreacted as trashing him....or maybe you can.

Glad you know me, and since you know me so well, don't equate me with a whorn.

OU4LIFE
6/24/2009, 10:22 AM
A. I'd like Cro Cop in the UFC as well, but I'd also like to see the Overeem rematch.

B. OU4Life - I know who I am talking to. Just because I have few post doesn't mean I don't have common sense.

During football season I get nothing but good spek (really I've got like 4 negs ever). Why is this? Because we all have a common agreement. But over here in MMA, even OUr fans can't have a civil argument. It's stupid.

I know who you are. It doesn't disregard that you made a doosh comment to another OU fan. Foot in mouth is much different than foot in ***.

good question

Knippz
6/24/2009, 01:53 PM
At no point did you explicitly say I had no common sense. I was pointing out that I do have common sense in knowing who I am talking to (i.e. 17,000 posts).

It wasn't just a direct shot at Bob, there's quite a bit of Dana "dislike" on this board, and it just gets old seeing almost all comments directed at Dana to be negative. It would be annoying if every time Dana did something I was on his jock posting how I agreed with it, right?

I'm aware that many people don't like him, and I don't care, he does do some dooshy things, it's just annoying that people post about it so much. We know.

It wasn't "Dana overreacting" that sparked the debate, it was "as usual" that did. Regardless, argument over. I've stated my case. Back to something useful.

Sooner_Bob
6/24/2009, 09:04 PM
As of 9 pm CST, Cro Cop is still listed on the UFC's site as a fighter . . . I'd say if he was officially no longer potentially going to fight for them again he'd already be off the site.

I thought the list might include historical data as well, but checked for Nick Diaz and he's not on there. Neither is Frank Shamrock or Tito Ortiz.

So I guess we'll see . . .

Knippz
7/3/2009, 04:32 PM
Lesnar, St. Pierre, Hendo, Jones, Fitch, Danzig, Bonnar, Akiyama. Oh and MMA fans. Those are my winners at UFC 100.

tbl
7/4/2009, 12:47 AM
Mir (though with all his trash talk lately, I'm beginning to think he's going to get throttled)
GSP
Hendo
Fitch
Akiyama
Bonnar
Danzig
Jones
Kim
CB
Grice/Gugerty I have no clue.... I'll go Grice based on the name.

Knippz
7/8/2009, 10:19 AM
Anyone else who regularly posts on this thread have some input?

Boomer.....
7/8/2009, 10:38 AM
Lesnar, GSP, hopefully Hendo but probably Bisping. Also I have a hard time picking Bonner in any fight.

Boomer.....
7/8/2009, 10:45 AM
Nate Diaz vs. Melvin Guillard set for UFC Fight Night 19 main event in September

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jul 07, 2009 at 2:20 pm ET

A lightweight contest between "The Ultimate Fighter" veterans Nate Diaz (10-4 MMA, 5-2 UFC) and Melvin Guillard (23-7-2 MMA, 5-3 UFC) is set for the main event of UFC Fight Night 19.

The UFC today officially announced the contest, as well as confirming the previously reported bout between Roger Heurta and Gray Maynard.

UFC Fight Night 19, a Spike TV-broadcast event that will serve as the lead-in for the debut episode of "The Ultimate Fighter 10," takes place Sept. 16 at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City.

Diaz will be looking to bounce back from a pair of disappointing decision losses to Joe Stevenson and Clay Guida, the "TUF 5" champion's first two defeats in the octagon.

Prior to the losses, Diaz had earned five-straight wins in the UFC, four of which came by submission.

Guillard, a veteran of the second season of "The Ultimate Fighter," will be looking to build on a three-fight win streak, a run that includes back-to-back wins in the UFC.

After earning a win over Eric Regan outside of the UFC, Guillard earned a 36-second win over Dennis Siver in July 2008, as well as a hotly contested split-decision win over Gleison Tibau at June's The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale.

With the addition to the card, UFC Fight Night 19 now includes:

Nate Diaz vs. Melvin Guillard
Roger Huerta vs. Gray Maynard
Dan Miller vs. Aaron Simpson*
Tim Credeur vs. Nate Quarry*
Ronnys Torres vs. Jeremy Stephens*
Mike Pyle vs. Chris Wilson*
Kyle Bradley vs. Sam Stout*
* - Not officially announced

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/3159/ufcfightnight19poster.jpg

OU4LIFE
7/8/2009, 12:02 PM
Anyone else who regularly posts on this thread have some input?

no, I'll just get throttled for it.

Sooner_Bob
7/8/2009, 12:32 PM
Lesnar, GSP, hopefully Hendo but probably Bisping. Also I have a hard time picking Bonner in any fight.

Even over Mark "I've been workin' on my cardio" Coleman?

Mir, Alves, Hendo . . .

Knippz
7/8/2009, 06:06 PM
no, I'll just get throttled for it.

Haha wow are we still not over that? Throw out some picks it's all in good fun.

Knippz
7/8/2009, 06:09 PM

I'm really split on Bisping and Hendo too. I may have to make a last minute change to my picks. I hope Alves wins but I definitely wouldn't bet money on it. Lesnar seems like the safe pick to me as well.

KC//CRIMSON
7/9/2009, 12:42 AM

Sounds like it.....

Report: Junior dos Santos vs Mirko Cro Cop possible for UFC 103 on Sept. 19
By: MMAmania

Red hot heavyweight prospect Junior dos Santos (8-1) expects his next fight to come against Pride FC 2006 Open Weight Grand Prix winner Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic (25-6-2) at UFC 103, which is slated for the American Airlines Arena in Dallas, *Texas*, on Sept. 19, according GracieMag.com.

“Cigano” was today mysteriously scratched from a previously announced showdown opposite Justin McCully at UFC 102 on Aug. 29. Perhaps we now know the reason.

Here’s a snip from dos Santos:

“They took me off the August 29 show. My opponent’s changed. I’ll probably face Cro Cop. If I beat him I’ll be in really good standing. If that’s truly the case, I’m guaranteed on the main card and in the main event of the evening. If I were to fight now it wouldn’t be on the main card…. To me it’s incredible. When they asked me if they could change the fight date I was a bit bothered, because I wanted to fight right away. I’ve been away for some time now. But the Fertitta brothers asked me and I accepted. After that I found out it would be against Cro Cop and was overjoyed. It’ll be a big opportunity in my career. Lots of good things have happened in my life and this is one more. I’m going to make the most of it.”

The heavy-handed Brazilian knockout artist burst on the scene with an 81-second knockout of Fabricio Werdum — widely considered at the time a top player in the division — in his debut for the promotion at UFC 90: “Silva vs. Cote” back in October.

He most recently felled the Dutch “Skyscraper,” also known as Stefan Struve, via technical knockout (strikes) in just 54 seconds at UFC 95: “Sanchez vs. Stevenson” earlier this year. The Team Nogueira-trained fighter has never been beyond the first round in his professional career, finishing his all of his opponents (with the exception of one) with a mix of submissions and (technical) knockouts.

That could all change if he does indeed opt to go toe-to-toe with the devastating Croatian striker.

“Cro Cop” most recently competed at UFC 99: “The Comeback,” making a return to the Octagon to defeat British heavyweight Mostapha Al-turk in controversial fashion — an inadvertent eye poke that was missed by the referee led to a first round victory.

Prior to the win, Cro Cop has struggled mightily since coming stateside to compete inside the Octagon. Despite a win over Eddie Sanchez in his promotional debut back in 2007, Cro Cop would go on to lose back-to-back fights to Gabriel Gonzaga and Cheick Kongo, putting his UFC career on ice at the time.

He vowed to return, and did, but it appeared that he was on his way out the door again after UFC 99 when a miscommunication regarding his contract status cropped up between him and company president Dana White.

UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta reportedly came to the rescue, flying out to Zagreb to personally talk to Filipovic about another possible UFC return. The pair sat down and talked for two hours at Cro Cop’s house. And when it was all over, Fertitta apparently boarded his plane with a huge grin plastered on his face, saying that he made Cro Cop “an offer he can’t refuse.”

Perhaps part of that deal was headlining a show against a top prospect such as dos Santos, which would more than likely position him among the handful of title contenders who have emerged over the course of the last 12 months if he can notch another victory.

For more on the still-developing UFC 103 fight card that includes possible bouts of Josh Koscheck vs. Frank Trigg and Martin Kampmann vs. Mike Swick, as well as Hermes Franca vs. Tyson Griffin, click here.

OU4LIFE
7/9/2009, 07:38 AM
Koscheck vs. Trigg.

fun to watch.

Sooner_Bob
7/9/2009, 10:50 AM
Sounds like it.....

Report: Junior dos Santos vs Mirko Cro Cop possible for UFC 103 on Sept. 19

Red hot heavyweight prospect Junior dos Santos (8-1) expects his next fight to come against Pride FC 2006 Open Weight Grand Prix winner Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic (25-6-2) at UFC 103, which is slated for the American Airlines Arena in Dallas, **Texas**, on Sept. 19, according GracieMag.com.

“Cigano” was today mysteriously scratched from a previously announced showdown opposite Justin McCully at UFC 102 on Aug. 29. Perhaps we now know the reason.

Here’s a snip from dos Santos:

“They took me off the August 29 show. My opponent’s changed. I’ll probably face Cro Cop. If I beat him I’ll be in really good standing. If that’s truly the case, I’m guaranteed on the main card and in the main event of the evening. If I were to fight now it wouldn’t be on the main card…. To me it’s incredible. When they asked me if they could change the fight date I was a bit bothered, because I wanted to fight right away. I’ve been away for some time now. But the Fertitta brothers asked me and I accepted. After that I found out it would be against Cro Cop and was overjoyed. It’ll be a big opportunity in my career. Lots of good things have happened in my life and this is one more. I’m going to make the most of it.”

The heavy-handed Brazilian knockout artist burst on the scene with an 81-second knockout of Fabricio Werdum — widely considered at the time a top player in the division — in his debut for the promotion at UFC 90: “Silva vs. Cote” back in October.

He most recently felled the Dutch “Skyscraper,” also known as Stefan Struve, via technical knockout (strikes) in just 54 seconds at UFC 95: “Sanchez vs. Stevenson” earlier this year. The Team Nogueira-trained fighter has never been beyond the first round in his professional career, finishing his all of his opponents (with the exception of one) with a mix of submissions and (technical) knockouts.

That could all change if he does indeed opt to go toe-to-toe with the devastating Croatian striker.

“Cro Cop” most recently competed at UFC 99: “The Comeback,” making a return to the Octagon to defeat British heavyweight Mostapha Al-turk in controversial fashion — an inadvertent eye poke that was missed by the referee led to a first round victory.

Prior to the win, Cro Cop has struggled mightily since coming stateside to compete inside the Octagon. Despite a win over Eddie Sanchez in his promotional debut back in 2007, Cro Cop would go on to lose back-to-back fights to Gabriel Gonzaga and Cheick Kongo, putting his UFC career on ice at the time.

He vowed to return, and did, but it appeared that he was on his way out the door again after UFC 99 when a miscommunication regarding his contract status cropped up between him and company president Dana White.

UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta reportedly came to the rescue, flying out to Zagreb to personally talk to Filipovic about another possible UFC return. The pair sat down and talked for two hours at Cro Cop’s house. And when it was all over, Fertitta apparently boarded his plane with a huge grin plastered on his face, saying that he made Cro Cop “an offer he can’t refuse.”

Perhaps part of that deal was headlining a show against a top prospect such as dos Santos, which would more than likely position him among the handful of title contenders who have emerged over the course of the last 12 months if he can notch another victory.

For more on the still-developing UFC 103 fight card that includes possible bouts of Josh Koscheck vs. Frank Trigg and Martin Kampmann vs. Mike Swick, as well as Hermes Franca vs. Tyson Griffin, click here.

I was gonna post this . . . :D

Knippz
7/9/2009, 11:48 AM
I was gonna post this . . . :D

As was I.

Cro Cop appears headed back to UFC

By Steven Marrocco/MMAWeekly.com 1 hour, 20 minutes ago

The on-again-off-again relationship between Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and the UFC may be on-again.

In a Tuesday report on graciemag.com, up-and-comer Junior Dos Santos says it is, by way of a fight with the Croatian MMA star at UFC 103. The bout would headline the Sept. 19 event hosted by the American Airlines Center in Dallas.

Dos Santos was originally scheduled to face Justin McCully at UFC 102 before being removed from the card.

“To me it’s incredible,” said the Brazilian. “When they asked me if they could change the fight date I was a bit bothered, because I wanted to fight right away. I’ve been away for some time now. But the Fertitta brothers asked me and I accepted. After that I found out it would be against Cro Cop and was overjoyed. It’ll be a big opportunity in my career. Lots of good things have happened in my life and this is one more. I’m going to make the most of it.”

Following a controversial win over Mustapha Al-Turk at UFC 99, Cro Cop made headlines by reportedly snubbing a two-fight UFC deal for a contract with Dream. The feared striker subsequently told Croatian news outlets that the snafu had been a misunderstanding and his decision to stray was based on the UFC’s offered timetable for future fights.

Late last week, Croatian website Index.hr reported that Lorenzo Fertitta flew to Cro Cop’s Zagreb home to re-establish contact and offer a new deal for his UFC return. The deal was reportedly “an offer he couldn’t refuse.”

According to MMAWeekly.com’s sources, Cro Cop has dropped out of an announced fight with Siala “Mighty Mo” Siliga at Dream 10 on July 20.

Though it’s conceivable that Cro Cop could make both fights, it appears he has chosen to remain inside the Octagon.

In the build-up to UFC 99, Cro Cop said a UFC title was in his sights.

“I just want to return to the top,” he said. ” I just want to prove to everyone that they were wrong.”

I could have been wrong. :O Here's to hoping I was, because I want to see that fight.

Knippz
7/9/2009, 11:53 AM
IF* this is the case, then here goes -

I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not attractive.

Boomer.....
7/10/2009, 10:10 AM
Anyone interested in going to UCF Fight Night 19 in OKC, there is a pre-sale going on today at ticketmaster.com. Password is FIGHT. Tickets range from $200-35.

The tickets go on sale to the public tomorrow at 10am.

Sooner_Bob
7/10/2009, 10:44 AM
That's a little steep for me . . . I can only imagine where the $35 seats are located.

KC//CRIMSON
7/10/2009, 05:38 PM
ur8XrxIEUH4

I think it's safe to say he still has a screw loose.

Boomer.....
7/10/2009, 05:55 PM
...or that he's horny. She didn't seem too upset about it.

KC//CRIMSON
7/10/2009, 06:11 PM
...or that he's horny. She didn't seem too upset about it.

Jimmy Traina: What did you think when Rampage started, um, getting frisky? Did you think it was funny or did you take offense?
Nichols: At first I was just shocked when he grabbed me, and all I could think was, "Oh my gosh, what is he doing?!" Then I tried to play along a little bit because I knew he was trying to be funny, but after about the first 5-10 seconds, it was just plain awkward. I kept thinking, "What should I do? Knee him? Keep going?" So I decided to keep asking questions, assuming he would stop if I did that. So I asked another question, and he kept going. I asked ANOTHER question, and he kept going. At this point I was just freaking out, but still trying to be a professional and ask all the questions I was assigned to ask, and this has been interpreted by some viewers as me liking it and egging him on. This was definitely not the case. I was hired to do a job, which was to interview Rampage, so I decided to put up with his shenanigans and finish the interview.
Traina: Has he apologized since then?
Nichols: No, not at all. He was very, very pleased with himself.

tbl
7/11/2009, 12:56 PM
Wow... That's interesting, b/c when I saw it I definitely interpreted that she was in on it and was having fun with it. Way classless though...

KC//CRIMSON
7/11/2009, 10:04 PM
And the Count goes down for the Count. Both of those shots were brutal.

JLEW1818
7/11/2009, 10:17 PM
KC, update me... any upsets tonight?

JLEW1818
7/11/2009, 10:29 PM
nvm... found me a streamer

Frozen Sooner
7/11/2009, 11:25 PM
Mir got knocked the **** out.

JLEW1818
7/11/2009, 11:30 PM
good thing i didn't blow 45 bucks on that... found a good streamer!!!

KC//CRIMSON
7/12/2009, 01:41 PM
Mir got knocked the **** out.

True, but I'm not sure whether that fight showed that Lesnar has gotten better or if Mir was a wee bit overrated.

Note to UFC HW Division: Do not let Brock lay on you, otherwise he's beatable.

JohnnyMack
7/12/2009, 02:27 PM
Yeah I'm still having trouble understanding the appeal of this stuff.

John Kochtoston
7/12/2009, 02:46 PM

Note to Big XII opposition: Do not let Sam Bradford find open receivers. Otherwise, OU's beatable.

Frozen Sooner
7/12/2009, 02:48 PM
True, but I'm not sure whether that fight showed that Lesnar has gotten better or if Mir was a wee bit overrated.

I think it showed that Mir got lucky as all hell that he caught Lesnar in the leg bar.

I don't think it's a matter of "letting" Lesnar get on top of you and punch you in the head. He seems to be able to do it whether you want him to or not. Even in the first Mir fight he was punching him in the head repeatedly before he got the leg.

KC//CRIMSON
7/12/2009, 02:54 PM
Note to Big XII opposition: Do not let Sam Bradford find open receivers. Otherwise, OU's beatable.

OU has many ways to beat an opponent. Lesnar? Not so much...

KC//CRIMSON
7/12/2009, 03:07 PM
I think it showed that Mir got lucky as all hell that he caught Lesnar in the leg bar.

I don't think it's a matter of "letting" Lesnar get on top of you and punch you in the head. He seems to be able to do it whether you want him to or not. Even in the first Mir fight he was punching him in the head repeatedly before he got the leg.

Hmmmm, still too soon to see how far this freak show is going to go in this sport. It's going to be really interesting to see him stand with someone who has a great stand up game (Frank does not) good in the clinch-ala Couture, and can strike with fast and powerful punches. Maybe someone like Carwin, Cain, and of course Fedor. Hell, I'd like him to see him fight 6'3 255lb Josh Barnett. Dude's got heavy heavy hands and is a beast on the ground. Another good opponent (who DW is trying to bring over) would be Alistair Overeem. He's gotten a lot better and bigger, 6'5 255lbs.

What you saw Lesnar do to Mir is more than likely not what you would see against the fighters mentioned above and a few others in MMA. IMO.

KC//CRIMSON
7/12/2009, 03:43 PM
Dana White says Fedor Emelianenko will fight in the UFC, Brock Lesnar fight imminent
by Dann Stupp on Jul 12, 2009 at 5:30 am ET

Prior to this past Saturday's UFC 100 event, an underground movement took root and called for mixed-martial-arts fan who would attend the show to begin "Fedor!" chants throughout the night.

The thought, of course, was to make UFC executives well aware of the fans' desire to have Fedor Emelianenko, the world's top-ranked heavyweight and arguably the greatest MMA fighter in the division's history, fighting in the octagon.

The chants were never heard, but after UFC 100, UFC President Dana White said he wants Emelianenko in the UFC, that it's eventually going to happen, and that a fight with Brock Lesnar is imminent.

Lesnar, the former World Wrestling Entertainment superstar and NCAA Division I national wrestling champion, picked up his third consecutive UFC victory and first-ever title defense with a dominant second-round TKO of interim title-holder Frank Mir in UFC 100's main event.

With Lesnar's current streak of wins over Heath Herring, then-champ Randy Couture and now Mir, many are looking to possible future opponents for the seemingly invincible ground-and-pound machine.

Emelianenko, the former longtime PRIDE heavyweight champion, is the man many see as most likely to topple Lesnar. At 30-1, with back-to-back Affliction wins over two former UFC champions (Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski) and a 26-0 record (with one no-contest) over the past nine years, many fans are clamoring for the Russian fighter to take on the top talent in the world's premier fight organization.

"This Fedor thing has gone on and on and on," White said in the post-UFC 100 press conference. "Eventually, Fedor's going to be here. I want Fedor. I want him to come to the UFC and everything else.

"This guy (Brock Lesnar) just won the heavyweight title, and we'll end up getting that deal done. And then we'll do Brock vs. Fedor, and it'll be a huge fight."

How soon could we such the fight?

"Who knows," White said. "He's obviously contractually obligated to fight (with Affliction). Once that's over, we'll figure it out."

UFC officials have met with Emelianenko and his representatives multiple times. However, the meetings proved far from productive and often left each side blaming the other for the inability to get a deal done. The UFC said Emelianenko's demands were too outrageous, not necessarily from a monetary standpoint (though Emelianenko is believed to make at least $2 million per fight) but because a deal would essentially require the organization to enter the Russian market as business partners with Emelianenko's manager, Vadim Finkelchtein. Emelianenko's people say the UFC's contract demands are too restrictive without any allowances, for example, for Sambo competitions and would dictate all aspects of the fighter's career.

Concessions will be need to be made, and that's often led White to predict a slim chance of a deal coming to fruition. In fact, White has often criticized the fighter, going so far as saying Emelianenko "sucks" while mocking past recent opponents such as kickboxer Hong Man Choi and Matt Lindland, who normally fights at middleweight.

However, White's tune has changed, and on Saturday, he spoke rather definitely about the fighter's future in the UFC.

Of course, that future could hinge on Emelianenko's upcoming Aug. 1 fight at "Affliction" Trilogy." There, Emelianenko meets another former UFC champ, Josh Barnett, who many rank among the division's top three or four.

However, don't expect Barnett to get the same invitation to the UFC is he knocks off Emelianenko.

Why?

"No one's beating down my door to get Barnett," White said.

OU4LIFE
7/13/2009, 08:01 AM
And the Count goes down for the Count. Both of those shots were brutal.

the exclamation elbow was money. The Count won't like seeing that on the review tape.

Boomer.....
7/13/2009, 08:15 AM
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2340/1247367977823.gif

Sooner_Bob
7/13/2009, 08:29 AM
Hendo's KO of Bisping was the highlight of an otherwise boring PPV.

Maybe Mark Coleman will retire now that he finally got a win . . .

ouleaf
7/13/2009, 11:56 AM
yeah, Bisping didn't want anything to do with Henderson as soon as the fight started. He kept circling around the ring and Henderson was just looking to connect on that big overhand right and he finally did after about 5 or so misses. He was out cold.

OU4LIFE
7/13/2009, 12:46 PM
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2340/1247367977823.gif

OMFG, that little hop in the air before he drove that punch/elbow down was epic.

I'm surprised it didn't break his whole face.

KC//CRIMSON
7/13/2009, 01:14 PM
Hendo said the second punch was to shut him up. I'd say it worked.

Kind of surprised Bisping kept walking to his left the whole fight when Hendo has been known for years for his heavy right hand.

badger
7/13/2009, 01:30 PM
Ok, instead of starting a new Brock Lesnar thread, I'll just contribute here.

I absolutely LOVED Brock Lesnar back when he was in the WWE. When he was first starting out and didn't have time to perfect his mic skills just yet, they teamed him with this industry leader that was his perfect manager/cheerleader named Paul Heyman.

Basically, Brock Lesnar would kick the crap outta everyone while Heyman did his talking - calling him "The Next Big Thing," yelling "Here Comes the PAIN!" and such.

Eventually, Brock evolved back Heyman and did his own talking... and this was mostly scripted or at least had guidelines.

What happens when Brock doesn't have a script or does things on his own? He does a move usually done by small, agile guys called the Shooting Star Press off the top rope and lands on his head. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBxt_y0xtjk&feature=related)

Dude sent his opponent to surgery after that match because he was so aggressive... and stupid, unfortunately. He might complain about WWE's schedule, but it was Brock's style of competition that he couldn't hold back that wore him out, methinks.

This same type of thing will kill him in UFC... if the nature of the UFC sport doesn't. The UFC version of Brock Lesnar is scary... at least in WWE, he was scripted.

KC//CRIMSON
7/13/2009, 02:17 PM
Is Brock beatable? Four who have a shot

After Saturday's dismantling of Frank Mir at UFC 100, Brock Lesnar seems pretty comfortable at the top of the UFC heavyweight division. Though his career in the UFC has been short, he has beaten two champions, Randy Couture and Mir, in a convincing manner. His size and strength will be a tough obstacle to overcome, but not impossible. Who can do it?

Fedor Emelianenko: If there is anyone who can take out Lesnar, it's the Russian fighter Emelianenko (pictured). He is at the top of the Yahoo! Sports pound-for-pound rankings for good reason. With a 30-1 record, he has beaten fighters of every size, including the 7'2" Hong Man Choi and 6'8" former UFC champion Tim Sylvia. In January, he knocked out another former UFC champion, Andrei Arlovski, in the first round. In fact, he hasn't had a fight get past the first round since a win over Mark Coleman in 2006, which lasted until the second round.

Emelianenko's biggest obstacle in beating Lesnar isn't in the cage, it's actually getting him in the cage. He is signed with rival promotion Affliction for a fight with Josh Barnett in August. Fans have wanted Fedor in the UFC for years, but contract negotiations have gone nowhere between the groups. After the fights on Saturday, Dana White said that Emelianenko will be in the UFC.

"This Fedor thing has gone on and on and on," White said in the post-UFC 100 press conference. "Eventually, Fedor's going to be here. I want Fedor. I want him to come to the UFC and everything else.

"This guy (Brock Lesnar) just won the heavyweight title, and we'll end up getting that deal done. And then we'll do Brock vs. Fedor, and it'll be a huge fight."

Assuming that the deal gets made, Emelianenko has the best shot of beating Brock Lesnar.

Shane Carwin: How can you mitigate Lesnar's size advantage? By putting him up against someone that's equally as large. That's Carwin -- all 6'3", 262 lbs. of him. His hands are so big that the 4X gloves he wears to fight need to be cut and taped to fit his hands. He can take punishment and still win, as he had a broken nose when he knocked out Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 96. Carwin is also motivated to beat Lesnar, who Carwin thought was incredibly disrespectful after his win on Saturday.

The fans are why we do this, Brock, this sport is not about fat paychecks and drama. It is about hard work and sacrifice for a shot to do what you did last night. It doesn't matter how much money you make if you can't earn your peers' respect and the respect and love of the greatest sporting fans in the world. Every autograph I give, every hand I shake I am thankful that you give me the opportunity to be a part of your world. This is the greatest sport int he world and most of the athletes in it deserve the love and respect they get and some just dont get it. From leaving the venue all the way to the Airport I have had fans of the sport ask me to take out Brock Lesnar for them.

The biggest knock against Carwin is that he is untested, but he is 11-0. He has much more experience than Lesnar. Carwin is slated to face Cain Velasquez, another exciting up-and-coming heavyweight, at UFC 104 in October. If he makes it through that fight, it wouldn't be surprising to see a matchup between Lesnar and Carwin.

Alistair Overeem: If someone of a similar size won't vex Brock, speed will. A fighter who is a champion kickboxer, can cut angles and move quickly? That might the perfect foil to Brock's wrestling and power. That fighter exists in Dutch kickboxer Alistair Overeem.

Overeem faces two problems in overcoming Lesnar. One, he is the Strikeforce heavyweight champion, is fighting for them on August 15, and contractually obligated to Strikeforce. Two, he needs to stay on his feet to be able to use high kicks, but as Lesnar showed on Saturday, his takedown is quite effective.

Bobby Lashley: Like Lesnar, Lashley is a fellow WWE veteran and collegiate wrestler. Unlike Lesnar, Lashley is taking the long and winding road to the UFC. He also has four wins, but his competition hasn't been nearly as difficult as Lesnar's. Lashley's biggest advantage is that he and Lesnar are the same size, and both have a strong wrestling background. With those two factors equal, the fight has the potential of being an all-out slugfest.

The problem with this fight is that Lashley doesn't want to fight in the UFC until he is ready to be a champion.

"When I go over there I want to be a top, top level guy," Lashley said. "I want talks of me fighting the champ when I get over there. I want them to say this guy's really good."

Lashley still has a while to go and much to learn before he can walk in and get a title shot. He will need to get a few more fights under his belt before we can see if he is truly ready for the champ.

Add to that list:

Josh Barnett - Even if he loses to Fedor he needs to come over to the UFC and help beef up that division.

Brett Rogers
Sergei Kharitonov
Antonio Silva

Curly Bill
7/13/2009, 02:22 PM
Since Chuck is seemingly washed up, or is he even retired now, I think Henderson is going to be my new favorite.

Not a big Bisping fan, so that was beautiful.

Curly Bill
7/13/2009, 02:23 PM
They're talking about the 2nd punch, the elbow, on local sports radio now, and how vicious it was.

Knippz
7/13/2009, 03:44 PM
Lesnar has the ability to beat anyone. Though he doesn't have the skill. At least yet. If he can keep learning at a quick pace he could be unstoppable.

People discount him because of his size and strength, and give him hell about laying on opponents. However this is exactly what P4P candidate GSP does in his division. GSP's gameplan is the same every time - last in the standup until he gets an opportunity for a takedown, then takes them down and holds them there as long as he can. I hate it, but it's damn effective, and to this point pretty unstoppable. Lesnar is very similar in this aspect. He is by no means the best HW out there, but he has the potential to be, whether anyone likes it or not. Better striking + better clinch + BJJ skills could make him ULTRA scary. At this point Fedor would KO him.

GSP more of the same. Someone please get him a mutli-dimensional guy with similar size to fight. He's not that good, just effective and smart.

Hendo - sick, sick KO. Love it! Still don't think he can beat Anderson. His standup is way too predictable. Bisping walked into that right. Though I would love to see a Hendo Rampage rematch.

Sexiyama didn't look great. Good though.

Fitch impressed again. Did Paulo have any offense? I think Fitch had a bad gameplan against GSP. Rematch please.

Bonnar is done.

Jones vs Franklin - make it happen.

badger
7/14/2009, 09:00 AM
When you see Lesnar, you might he's big and slow, but he is a freak of nature. If you want to find someone that can beat him, look to college wrestling. Dude only won the national championship ONCE - his senior year in 2000.

He is quite beatable... and I'm sure someone that really gets in his head and knows that the only gameplan Lesnar has the works is ground and pound will get the upper hand.

I think his sick bump back in WWE when he landed on his head still haunts him, so if an opponent does something that Brock thinks will threaten the future of his career, he will tap quickly.

John Kochtoston
7/14/2009, 05:06 PM
OU has many ways to beat an opponent. Lesnar? Not so much...
No, I get that. I'm just saying it's a lot easier said than done re: letting Lesnar lay on you.

KC//CRIMSON
7/14/2009, 05:10 PM
No, I get that. I'm just saying it's a lot easier said than done re: letting Lesnar lay on you.

Gotcha and agree.

tbl
7/16/2009, 10:48 PM
Good win by Fitch? That dude is one of the most boring fighters out there. He's had a couple of good wins... maybe just one. Why would you want to see him get destroyed by GSP again? You think he's bringing something new to the rematch? Dude hasn't brought anything new his entire career in the UFC.

GSP does take people down, but he by no means lays and prays. For that matter, neither does Brock (I detest the guy, don't think I'm a fan). I don't mind a dude winning a fight by wrestling so long as they're doing damage. Hearkening back to Fitch, he's the king of lay and pray.

Knippz
7/17/2009, 12:34 AM
Good win by Fitch? That dude is one of the most boring fighters out there. He's had a couple of good wins... maybe just one. Why would you want to see him get destroyed by GSP again? You think he's bringing something new to the rematch? Dude hasn't brought anything new his entire career in the UFC.

GSP does take people down, but he by no means lays and prays. For that matter, neither does Brock (I detest the guy, don't think I'm a fan). I don't mind a dude winning a fight by wrestling so long as they're doing damage. Hearkening back to Fitch, he's the king of lay and pray.

I truly disagree with you for the most part. However, I will hold back from arguing, as it seems to get me no where on this forum. With the Fitch fight, Paulo had virtually no offense, which to me means a good win. That's all I meant by it.

Sooner_Bob
7/18/2009, 11:00 AM
I'd say Fitch is more methodical than boring . . . he doesn't appear to take too many unnecessary chances. That may have been what got him beat by GSP.

Shane Carwin vs. Brock Lesnar has to happen . . . hopefully sooner rather than later.

tbl
7/19/2009, 09:18 PM
I truly disagree with you for the most part. However, I will hold back from arguing, as it seems to get me no where on this forum. With the Fitch fight, Paulo had virtually no offense, which to me means a good win. That's all I meant by it.

You can argue with me dude. I don't get sensitive... Challenge my logic, if you dare. ;)

KC//CRIMSON
7/20/2009, 03:49 PM
Cro Cop says Lesnars' win bad for MMA

"I wasn't expecting anything from that fight, but i have to say that lesnar's victory is acctually loss for MMA as a sport i dont want to be missunderstanded, lesnar is very dengerous but I am an old school fighter and I preffer technique. This was loss for MMA. Almost all that lesnar accomplished is factor of pure raw power. lesnar does not have many fights in his carear and I would love to see how would he react on two or three good low kicks."

Cro Cop just signed a three fight deal with the UFC. You have to think one is going to be against Lesnar if they both keep winning.

tbl
7/20/2009, 05:17 PM
If the CC of old can show up against Lesnar, he has a serious shot. He just has to stuff the takedowns and he could murder the guy... of course that's a tall order (stuffing the takedowns).

KC//CRIMSON
7/20/2009, 05:31 PM
If the CC of old can show up against Lesnar, he has a serious shot. He just has to stuff the takedowns and he could murder the guy... of course that's a tall order (stuffing the takedowns).

There's been something going on with Cro Cop. I still think he's the same great fighter he's always been, but for some reason and even before the knockout by Gonzaga, he's been really tentative in his matches. For whatever reason, I think 95% of his problems are mental, and I have no idea why that is?

He used to be a guy that would kick and strike an opponent to death and was never afraid of going toe to toe with anyone, now he's just so hesitant it's like watching someone else. It's weird.

tbl
7/20/2009, 05:54 PM
Agreed. Fighting is all mental and something definitely happened to him. His first UFC fight he was stalking that dude like crazy (can't remember the spares name), but when Gonzaga took him down and starting raining elbows, it's like something clicked... then comes the head kick.

Sooner_Bob
7/20/2009, 07:07 PM
K-1 World Max Final 8 (http://www.examiner.com/x-902-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Examiner~y2009m7d20-K1-World-Max-Final-8-results-Kid-Yamamoto-and-Tatsuya-Kawajiri-both-KOd-in-super-fight)

I just watched this and all I have to say is holee crap . . .

Sooner_Bob
7/20/2009, 07:09 PM
Hendo vs. Franklin 2 (http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=21299)

Jul-20-2009
Henderson-Franklin II to Headline UFC 103 Thomas Gerbasi, UFC - Their first bout split the mixed martial arts community, making it obvious that they needed more than 15 minutes to settle their score. On Saturday, September 19th, UFC superstars Dan Henderson and Rich Franklin will meet again in the main event of UFC 103 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas, with Henderson looking to make it 2-0 over the former middleweight champ, and Franklin trying to even things up with the former two division PRIDE champion.

Why in the world did Joe Silva schedule this fight? I agree that their first fight was close, but if Bisping would've beaten Hendo he was told he was getting a title shot at The Spider. Why shouldn't Hendo get another shot?

tbl
7/20/2009, 08:50 PM
It makes zero sense to me...

tbl
7/20/2009, 08:58 PM
This avatar on another mb cracked me up...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/fixinchitlins/image.gif

Sooner_Bob
7/20/2009, 09:51 PM
This avatar on another mb cracked me up...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/fixinchitlins/image.gif

Heh.

There's a whole thread on Sherdog devoted to farks and gifs of that KO . . .

Boomer.....
7/21/2009, 07:26 AM
Hendo vs. Franklin 2 (http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=21299)

Why in the world did Joe Silva schedule this fight? I agree that their first fight was close, but if Bisping would've beaten Hendo he was told he was getting a title shot at The Spider. Why shouldn't Hendo get another shot?

Pretty weak.

Hendo isn't getting much rest in between fights either.

Sooner_Bob
7/21/2009, 07:41 AM
I like Rich Franklin, but I think I'm going to be routing for Hendo in this rematch. I think he has a better chance of hanging with and beating Anderson Silva at this time.

Sooner_Bob
7/21/2009, 09:42 AM
RIP Kimo.

Kimo Leopoldo dead at 41 because of heart attack complications

http://mmamania.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/kimo.jpg

Mixed martial arts journeyman Kimo Leopoldo died last night from complications caused by a heart attack, according to several published reports. He was 41 years young.

The UFC veteran last competed inside the Octagon at UFC 48 in 2004, losing to Ken Shamrock via first round knockout (knee). He fared no better in the last performance of his career, which was a technical knockout loss to Wes Sims at Extreme Wars 5: “Battlegrounds” in 2006.

Kimo (10-7-1) is perhaps best known for wearing down Royce Gracie in a losing effort at UFC 3, thus allowing Nebraska police officer Steve Jennum his 15 minutes of fame.

Throughout his 12-year career, Kimo struggled with substance abuse. He tested positive for steroids several times, including after his last fight with Shamrock and prior to a scheduled bout against Bas Rutten at the World Fighting Alliance that never materialized.

Kimo — who made an unsuccessful bid to become the executive director of the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) — was also recently held by police for drug possession in Tustin, Calif., after authorities spotted the ex-fighter wearing a Long Beach Police Department jumpsuit complete with patches and a cloth badge.

It’s unclear at this time if drugs played any role in his untimely death or if it was due to natural causes. R.I.P. Kimo: Jan. 4, 1968 to July 20, 2009.

Kimo Leopoldo dead at 41 because of heart attack complications at UFC blog for UFC news, results, videos, rumors, fights, pics and tickets — MMAmania.com (http://mmamania.com/2009/07/21/kimo-leopoldo-dead-at-41-because-of-heart-attack-complications/)

Knippz
7/21/2009, 06:06 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AslNtESl3Kmcb42Km9TO6pk9Eo14?slug=ki-kimo072109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Kimo isn't dead.

tbl
7/21/2009, 09:54 PM
Heh.

There's a whole thread on Sherdog devoted to farks and gifs of that KO . . .

Link? I couldn't find it...

Sooner_Bob
7/22/2009, 07:39 AM
Great . . . (http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/update-fedor-barnett-bout-in-jeopardy-18663)

Update: Fedor-Barnett Bout in Jeopardy

Update: Fedor-Barnett Bout in Jeopardy
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
by Loretta Hunt ([email protected])

Affliction Entertainment and M-1 Global are looking for a new opponent to face Fedor Emelianenko at Affliction “Trilogy” on Aug. 1 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Multiple sources have told Sherdog.com that the California State Athletic Commission will not license Josh Barnett after a positive test result. Calls to Affliction Entertainment were not immediately returned. The CSAC said a comprehensive statement would be issued Wednesday.

Barnett said he had not been notified of any issues with his eligibility as of Tuesday evening.

“I took my test three weeks ago. I would have thought I would have heard something by now,” Barnett told Sherdog.com.

However, the former UFC heavyweight champion said he had not checked his phone messages recently and later added, “No matter what happens with this, I can assure you I will clear my name. This will not be something that I am defined by.”

Vitor Belfort has agreed in principle to face the world’s No. 1 heavyweight on 11 days’ notice, according to two separate sources close to the negotiations. One source told Sherdog.com that Emelianenko will have the opportunity to choose between Belfort and Bobby Lashley. Lashley has denied knowing anything about replacing Barnett, though.

"I don't know if I would want it right now. Since the last fight, I haven't really been into training again," he said. "That fight is next week. That would be something I would really have to take a look at. To just jump in there probably wouldn't be the smartest thing for me right now. A lot of people would say that might be a money fight. They figure, 'If we give him enough money, will he do it?' That's what people tend to look at. I don't want to get into fighting for the money so much right now.”

Belfort, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, is scheduled to face American Top Team standout Jorge Santiago in a middleweight bout on the Aug. 1 card.

Greg Savage, T.J. De Santis and Jeff Sherwood contributed to this report, which was updated at 1:06 a.m. EST with additional information from Lashley.

Sooner_Bob
7/22/2009, 07:41 AM
Link? I couldn't find it...

Link (http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f7/shoop-bisping-1010762/?highlight=shoop)

Sooner_Bob
7/22/2009, 07:42 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AslNtESl3Kmcb42Km9TO6pk9Eo14?slug=ki-kimo072109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Kimo isn't dead.

Whoops . . . :O

Sooner_Bob
7/22/2009, 07:55 AM
You might enjoy this one as well . . . (http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f44/shoop-rashad-980931/)

tbl
7/22/2009, 09:07 AM
Lashley would get murdered...

tbl
7/22/2009, 09:08 AM
Link (http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f7/shoop-bisping-1010762/?highlight=shoop)

So they call it "shooping" instead of farking. That'll help in the future...

Sooner_Bob
7/22/2009, 10:11 AM
I say either cancel the Fedor fight or see if he'd agree to fight Jeff Monson.

That would be the best replacement fight I could think of . . .

KC//CRIMSON
7/22/2009, 12:00 PM
Josh Barnett Out vs. Fedor Emelianenko, Card Still On
July 22, 2009, 11:26 am

Tom Atencio, the head of the Affliction MMA promotion, confirmed to FanHouse on Wednesday morning that Josh Barnett has been pulled out of his scheduled August 1 heavyweight title fight with Fedor Emelianenko. But Atencio said he still expects the Affliction Trilogy card to take place as scheduled.

Atencio said Barnett failed a drug test and therefore the California State Athletic Commission will not permit him to fight.

"He tested positive for a banned substance," Atencio said of Barnett. "The athletic commission will not reinstate his license."

When asked if the August 1 MMA card was off, Atencio said only, "Him and Fedor is off."

Asked whether the Affliction: Trilogy card at the Honda Center in Anaheim was still going on as planned on August 1, Atencio answered, "At this point, yes."

Atencio gave a terse "no comment" when asked about a Sherdog report that Vitor Belfort and Bobby Lashley were the two potential opponents for Fedor on August 1. He also declined to speculate on whether a deal could be worked out to have Fabricio Werdum, whose August 15 fight with Alistair Overeem was canceled yesterday, might be Fedor's opponent.

When asked what he'd like to say to MMA fans, Atencio answered, "Just look for updates. ... I'm working on getting the best replacement possible."

Sooner_Bob
7/22/2009, 12:03 PM
What do you think Josh got popped for?

KC//CRIMSON
7/22/2009, 12:14 PM
What do you think Josh got popped for?

No idea, PED's?

You think he would have learned his lesson. If this proves to be true, you'll probably never see him in the UFC.

Knippz
7/22/2009, 12:43 PM
Rot In Pieces, Affliction.

This is why I've always thought Affliction was a bad promotion. Nobody can deny that they completely rode on Fedor. This also shows how weak Affliction's roster is. Not ONE formiddable HW opponent on the roster.

Damages Fedor's rep too. He's again gonna fight a middleweight (Belfort is the target fight right now). Lose-lose situation. Poor Fedor. Just give in to Dana or retire.

Sooner_Bob
7/22/2009, 12:53 PM
No idea, PED's?

You think he would have learned his lesson. If this proves to be true, you'll probably never see him fight in the US.

fixed

:)

I can't believe he was crazy enough to try it again . . .

KC//CRIMSON
7/22/2009, 01:50 PM
fixed

:)

I can't believe he was crazy enough to try it again . . .

After reading around, it's sounding more like recreational drugs. Still, what an idiot. Some other sources are saying Brett Rogers could replace Barnett. I'd give him a punchers chance but that's about it. IMO they should just cancel it.

This really sucks, because more than anything I wanted to see Barnett be able to go to the UFC and clean house.

Knippz
7/22/2009, 03:04 PM
Rogers is way too green to fight Fedor. There is literally NO ONE (that isn't injured or in the UFC) I think that can give Fedor a challenge.

If Lesnar had a shot he would have to immediately take Fedor down and hold him. He'd get KO'd quickly otherwise.

tbl
7/22/2009, 04:26 PM
The good news is this may help the chances of Fedor coming to the UFC. Barnett wasn't going to the UFC anyway, and I agree with Bob that he's done in the US. Go back to Japan where they don't test...

Stupid Barnett... unbelievable.

Sooner_Bob
7/24/2009, 12:40 PM
Affliction Trilogy has been canceled . . . (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/mma/07/24/affliction.trilogy.canceled/)

In a matter of days Affliction Entertainment's "Trilogy" event when from promising the top heavyweight fight in mixed martial arts to being canceled outright, multiple sources confirmed to SI.com Friday morning.

Affliction Entertainment vice president Tom Atencio began making calls with the news Friday morning to fighters scheduled to appear on the Aug. 1 card, SI.com has learned.

The abrupt change comes in the wake of 31-year-old Josh Barnett testing positive for banned substances following a California State Athletic Commission pre-fight drug test.

Sooner_Bob
7/24/2009, 12:42 PM
Rogers is way too green to fight Fedor. There is literally NO ONE (that isn't injured or in the UFC) I think that can give Fedor a challenge.

If Lesnar had a shot he would have to immediately take Fedor down and hold him. He'd get KO'd quickly otherwise.

You really think Fedor would KO Brock?:confused:

tbl
7/24/2009, 06:10 PM
I think he would beat him, just don't know about a KO.

So how many more months before Fedor is in the UFC? Affliction is now done, and the rumor is they'll be back as a sponsor for the UFC since they are no longer competing. I think we'll see Fedor in the UFC by 1st quarter next year, with a possibility of the holidays this year.

Sweet....

KC//CRIMSON
7/24/2009, 06:12 PM
Affliction joins UFC

In a sea change for the promotional landscape of mixed martial arts, Affliction has agreed to cease promoting fights and become an official sponsor of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports first reported the news on Friday afternoon, and a UFC official confirmed the report to MMAWeekly.com.

A joint announcement between the Las Vegas-based promotion and California-based clothing maker is expected soon.

Few details about the deal are known, but the popular clothing brand could be seen on Zuffa fighters as soon as Aug. 8, when UFC 101 lands in Philadelphia.

A similar deal was first proposed last October after the postponement of Affliction’s second event, “Day of Reckoning.” Executives from the UFC and Affliction met in secret in Las Vegas and offered to take Affliction on as a sponsor and co-branded apparel maker in exchange for ceasing to promote fights. Affliction executives rejected the offer after a fiery confrontation between co-founder Todd Beard and UFC co-owner Lorenzo Ferttita.

The fate of fighters marooned by Affliction’s cancellation of its third show, “Trilogy,” is unknown at this time.

Check back with MMAWeekly.com for more updates on this story as it develops.

KC//CRIMSON
7/24/2009, 06:38 PM
UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta wants Fedor; Fedor says contracts too restrictive

"The facts are the facts. We made him the best offer out there, more money than anybody offered him -- so you can't say it's about the money. Then they come back and they say, "Well, it's a one-sided contract." Let's break this down from a logical standpoint. We offered the exact same contract that three hundred other guys have signed, including Brock Lesnar, Chuck Liddell, Anderson Silva, GSP, all the top stars. Why is that contract not good enough for Fedor? What Fedor wants is this. He doesn't want to be exclusive. So, it's like saying, okay, Tom Brady: "I'm going to play for New England Patriots one Sunday, but you know what? After that game's over, I want to be a free agent and go see where I can play for the rest of the season." Every weekend he's going to skip around and play for whoever he wants. How does that make sense for us as a business or for the fans? He needs to come into our fold if he wants to cement his legacy as the best fighter in the world. We can figure something out with the sambo thing... (but) at the end of the day, I think we need to have a situation where at least 90 or 120 days before he's signed a contract to fight, he shouldn't be out there competing in events like that because I don't want to take the chance of him getting hurt. But all of this stuff with Fedor: we want Fedor. As soon as he gets done with this show that he's doing, he can come -- we've never met Fedor. I want to sit down. I want to talk to him and that's part of the problem. We've never even met the guy. But it is a shame that he has not come forward to challenge the best guys in the world and I hope he comes. We want him. That's a big excuse for Fedor to say he's not coming to the UFC, and quite honestly, I don't think it's Fedor. I think Fedor wants to compete. The issue has been his management. They've completely kept him aside. I'm not sure he even knows what we offered him, to be honest with you. I think if he knew what we offered, he would have been here a long time ago. There's been a little bit of disconnect there... we want to meet him in person. We will not sit down and negotiate until me and Dana meet him in person. And if at that time he decides to not be a part of what we're doing, then we know."

-UFC Majority Owner Lorenzo Fertitta discusses bringing Fedor Emelianenko into the fold. The man many consider the world's greatest mixed martial artist has eluded the company for years and has defeated five former UFC heavyweight champions. He'll go for his sixth when he faces fellow top ranked heavyweight Josh Barnett at Affliction: "Trilogy" on Aug. 3.

FiveKnuckles.com recently contacted associates of Emelianenko who have made it clear that the fighter doesn't care as much about the money as he does the restrictive nature of UFC contracts. Apparently, Emelianenko doesn't like the idea of the UFC owning his likeness, telling him who his sponsors can and can't be, and not allowing him to compete in Sambo tournaments. Emelianenko appears to be a man of principle and will not likely budge on these points, but if the UFC can work around these issues, we're told that Emelianenko would like to test himself inside the octagon, specifically against fighters like Brock Lesnar and Randy Couture who were mentioned by name.

tbl
7/25/2009, 12:10 AM
Good stuff and makes perfect sense. I think they'd be willing to relent on the Sambo tourney, but if Fedor truly wants to be an unrestricted free agent while he's contracted with the UFC, he's insane. I've heard multiple interviews with the guy and he always says "it's too restrictive", so I think there's a lot of truth to what Lorenzo is saying. There's no way the UFC would/should let him fight NYE in Japan while he's under contract, or any other MMA organization for that matter. Sambo tourney... meh... and I really think the UFC would let him do that if it were the only thing preventing him.

Stinking commies... ;)

Knippz
7/26/2009, 02:03 AM
You really think Fedor would KO Brock?:confused:

Absolutely. Brock's chin is pretty much untested. However he did get a bit shaken up by the few strikes that Mir landed.

Fedor is one of the top strikers in the HW division. Watch his fights, he strikes like a rattlesnake - fast and lethal. He's also very accurate, and hits very, very hard. His striking is much better than Brock's. I think if Brock didn't get it to the ground rather quickly, he'd leave himself open to get KO'd or TKO'd, or at least knocked down to where Fedor could submit him (probably with some sort of leg submission, as I don't see Lesnar getting choked with his non-existant neck or armbarred with his ridiculously strong arms).

However, if Lesnar could get him down, which he is perfectly able, and hold him like he did Mir, and land the strikes like he did on Mir, the fight could get stopped, ending in victory for Brock.

But Couture was put in that same position and managed to get up from it, and ended up getting KO'd on the feet, due to his mid-level striking (at best) IMO. I don't think Brock could outstrike Fedor at all, and on the feet would have a punchers chance.

At this point I think the fight goes 65% in favor of Fedor, 35% Brock (that's giving Brock a LOT of credit, a month ago I'd have said 75% Fedor), with Brock having a very legit possibility of winning, but Fedor having the advantage.

On a side note, I really hope more people could see that Fertita statement. I'm so tired of people blaming the UFC for not signing Fedor. I want to see the guy in there like everyone else, but it isn't the UFC being too restrictive, it's Fedor. I don't get why that's so hard to grasp for so many people.

Knippz
7/26/2009, 02:07 AM
Good stuff and makes perfect sense. I think they'd be willing to relent on the Sambo tourney, but if Fedor truly wants to be an unrestricted free agent while he's contracted with the UFC, he's insane. I've heard multiple interviews with the guy and he always says "it's too restrictive", so I think there's a lot of truth to what Lorenzo is saying. There's no way the UFC would/should let him fight NYE in Japan while he's under contract, or any other MMA organization for that matter. Sambo tourney... meh... and I really think the UFC would let him do that if it were the only thing preventing him.

Stinking commies... ;)

My god, thank you! You have restored my faith that not ALL MMA fans are complete idiots.

KC//CRIMSON
7/26/2009, 02:52 AM
Just so we're all on the same page, Fedor himself has never said anything about the UFC, contracts, or being too restrictive. It's his handlers....not him.

They know how much they can make with or without the UFC. This whole cluster is about money and that's all it's about.

Knippz
7/26/2009, 02:17 PM
Well maybe. Fedor has mentioned that he has those issues in interviews. But maybe his management told him to say that. I honestly think it's his management, but we won't know for sure until he gets a meeting face to face with Dana and Lorenzo.

Sooner_Bob
7/27/2009, 05:44 PM
This is a pretty good read . . .

Affliction's Funeral (http://sherdog.com/news/articles/afflictions-funeral-18735)

Sooner_Bob
7/27/2009, 05:48 PM
Absolutely. Brock's chin is pretty much untested.

An untested chin as you put it does not = an easy KO IMO.

I agree that Fedor is a heckuva striker . . . and that he'd probably give Brock fits in the clinch. I don't think Brock's chin is a suspect as some think. I could be wrong and if he gets KO'd in his next fight it wouldn't bother me one bit.

I really think Brock would be crazy to fight Fedor now rather than later . . . I think Brock needs to get through Shane and Cane first.

KC//CRIMSON
7/27/2009, 05:51 PM
In other news......Tito Ortiz is back in the UFC. Weird.

KC//CRIMSON
7/27/2009, 06:06 PM
Hmmm......I really want this to be a good sign. The '08 is a typo.

984fN-gt4lA

tbl
7/27/2009, 07:12 PM
Just so we're all on the same page, Fedor himself has never said anything about the UFC, contracts, or being too restrictive. It's his handlers....not him.

Unless the translators are misquoting him immediately after he says it in Russian, I have seen this personally come out of his mouth, multiple times, on taped interviews. Most recently on the Inside MMA interview with Bas.