PDA

View Full Version : 5 most disappointing Recruiting Classes

Collier11
2/9/2008, 08:29 PM
The Country's Five Most Disappointing Recruiting Classes

By Brian Cook

Note this is "disappointing," not "worst." We're not looking for the class with the absolute least potential to win D-I games but the schools that really should have done better than they did. So breathe easy, Buffalo. A further note: rankings here are all Rivals'; sometimes Scout disagrees vehemently but that's rare.

Without further adieu:

5. Texas. Perhaps a harsh assessment for Rivals' #14 class, but as the dominant power in the nation's most football-mad state Texas should never, ever have a class outside of the top ten, even when it's kind of small. Texas whiffed on the top three players in-state, all of whom ended up at hated Oklahoma. Striking out on national #1 RB Darrell Scott was the icing on a mildly crap sundae for the Longhorns.

It's not that Texas' class is bad, per se. It's actually pretty good. (You can tell by the #14 above. That's math.) But there's no school in the country with a better built-in advantage when it comes to high school talent, and there's no way Texas should strike out on four of the top five players instate.

Mack Brown will spring his revenge soon, no doubt: rumor is that the next next Vince Young, class of 2009 QB Russell Shepard, is soon to don burnt orange.

4. Michigan State. If there was ever going to be a year when Michigan State re-asserted itself as a threat to Michigan instate or to Wisconsin, Minnesota, and increasingly irritating Cincinnati around the Midwest, this would be it. Michigan suffered a humiliating series of losses and much of the state was operating under the foregone conclusion that Lloyd Carr would be retiring at year's end. When Michigan made a hire, Rich Rodriguez swept out all but one Carr assistant. Mark Dantonio's long association with Jim Tressel was supposed to give him the edge when it came to Ohio recruits.

The result? Detroit wide receiver Fred Smith and no other four-star players. Michigan State struck out on instaters Nick Perry (USC) and Mark Ingram (Alabama) late; Ingram's decision to flee is especially grating since his father was one of Michigan State's best wide receivers. Ohio linebacker Taylor Hill took an official visit to MSU and liked it so much he committed to Michigan on the way home. Hell, linebacker Yourhighness Morgan took a look at MSU and said "thanks, but I'm going to play for Florida."

Florida Atlantic.

MSU ranks 7th in the Big Ten, and this was both their new-coach-bump year and a year in which Michigan changed coaches. Michigan's little brother continues to bow down.

3. Auburn. Tommy Tuberville got smoked up and down by Nick Saban. It's incredible. The top ten recruits in Alabama: 'Bama 7, Auburn 0. The top 20: 'Bama 14, Auburn 2. And this is coming off a six-year run of Auburn dominance in the Iron Bowl!

It gets worse. Of Auburn's top recruits, the two five-stars are JUCO guys and RB Onterrio McCalebb is not expected to qualify. Given Auburn's severe grade attrition a year ago, the NCAA Clearinghouse will probably gun down another four or five guys, leaving the Tigers with very little to combat Nick Saban's tide (ha!) of incoming talent. Tiger fans, savor this six-game win streak. It'll take some doing to keep it going.

One bright spot: they've got a guy named "T'Sharvan."

2. Iowa. No school has been hurt more by the increased competition in Illinois than Iowa. In 2005, Ron Zook was about to get fired at Florida and Tyrone Willingham was golfing his way out of the Notre Dame job, leaving Illinois wide open for a surging Iowa program. The Hawkeyes pulled six kids out of the state, one of them a five-star and four others four stars, en route to the #11 class in the country.

Enter Zook and Weis, exit light for Iowa recruiting. This year Iowa pulled only two Illinois commitments, both of them three-star kids, and the only reason QB John Wienke signed with Iowa was the sudden shift in Michigan's offensive philosophy brought about by the hiring of Rich Rodriguez. Iowa has no four star players among 24 commits and missed on the top two instate prospects. The third? James Ferentz, the son of Kirk Ferentz.

Iowa is languishing at #54 nationally, and if the rapidly aging 2005 class, now in their fourth year at Iowa, doesn't start living up to their hype things are going to start getting mighty crotchety in Iowa.

1. Tennessee. Hey, at least Iowa and Michigan State don't pretend to be national powers. Tennessee does, but they won't be for much longer if they keep up this recruiting pace. The other UT has 18 commitments and only four four-stars, none among the top 100, and one of those is a JUCO who will only provide two years of service. Tennessee struck out on every major target it swung at despite a surprising season that garnered an SEC championship game berth and a New Year's Day bowl victory.

The departures of renowned QB guru David Cutcliffe (for a death job at Duke) and his right-hand man Trooper Taylor contributed to the off year, but the end result at UT (#37) is something no program that considers itself elite should ever see on signing day. Fulmer may have staved off an axing this year; the long term trend is not good.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...iting-classes/

goingoneight
2/9/2008, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't put too much stock into what people think about ranking classes. It's pointless because different staffs evaluate talent different ways. You recruit guys to your program based on size, speed and what they can do for you. I don't see Texas Tech going after an Allen Patrick and I don't see WVU going after a Malcom Kelly generally speaking.

And of those on that list, you can't argue much with what those coaches have done through evaluating their own talent and playing the cards they've been dealt.

tulsaoilerfan
2/9/2008, 09:38 PM
Check back in 2011 to properly evaluate these kids

snp
2/9/2008, 09:45 PM
Why would anyone be disappointed in Iowa's class? They are in a 3 year stretch where they are 1 game above .500. The state produces maybe 5 BCS prospects a year. They've always made due with great coaching offsetting recruiting. Because they had 1 great recruiting year doesn't make up for the other 6 mediocre years they have.

I wouldn't put too much stock into what people think about ranking classes. It's pointless because different staffs evaluate talent different ways. You recruit guys to your program based on size, speed and what they can do for you. I don't see Texas Tech going after an Allen Patrick and I don't see WVU going after a Malcom Kelly generally speaking.

And of those on that list, you can't argue much with what those coaches have done through evaluating their own talent and playing the cards they've been dealt.

Hopefully at this point everyone realizes that. But along with coaching, there's a reason why ou, USC, LSU, Texas, ohio State, Georgia and the like are always at the top of both recruiting ranking and season record. Teams like Miami, FSU, and Michigan regularly rank in the top of recruiting but due to subpar coaching staffs they don't achieve the results of the aforementioned schools.

The two examples you used are bit of extremes but the reason why Tech and WVU can't recruit the best athletes is because of the system they run. Those schools pigeonhole themselves in order to win games and be more successful. This topic could stem into a long discussion about the disparity in NCAAF and coaches running "systems" in order to offset this difference so I'll just leave it at that. We got all off season to think about that.

Also you could make a great argument that Fulmer lives on talent alone; he's the Mack Brown of the SEC. He won't be able to get by much longer on classes like this. But he's nearing the end of the rope anyways so he's probably busy eating cheesy poofs and waiting until his next bonus kicks in before he can retire.

edit: Recruiting rankings really should be re-evaluated by who makes it to campus. Rivals usually does this in August.

Flagstaffsooner
2/9/2008, 09:47 PM
5. Texas. Perhaps a harsh assessment for Rivals' #14 class, but as the dominant power in the nation's most football-mad state Texas should never, ever have a class outside of the top ten, even when it's kind of small. Texas whiffed on the top three players in-state, all of whom ended up at hated Oklahoma. Striking out on national #1 RB Darrell Scott was the icing on a mildly crap sundae for the Longhorns.
The snake oil is starting to run thin.

The VIIIth
2/10/2008, 01:30 AM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l201/texaskstar/Saban-gets-Julio.gif

badger
2/10/2008, 11:22 AM
I think a few schools got too comfortable with the way things were going and allowed the likes of Clemson, Bama and Miami to get back into the mix. Clemson and Miami were once guilty of this themselves, and even Bama too: "We are so awesome, blue chippers will be BEGGING to play here!"

Alas, Rocky Top no longer has Peyton Manning to get them a championship, Iowa no longer has Banks to get them a near-Heisman and a near-Rose Bowl (haha, they took the Orange Bowl for us, thanks again, I-O-Waaaay). Michigan State... ummm... they have basketball?

I think Texas' problem isn't with Texas itself. They're Texas and they'll always be Texas, even with a dummy coach. However, their problem is with their in-state rivals getting better. A&M beat them the last few years. Texas Tech is just a fun offense to play for. Baylor.... nevermind. But how about UTEP with Price, or TCU's surprising success occasionally? When recruits are being drawn between three (perhaps four or five) Texas schools, isn't it easier to just jump the Red River border?

As for All-barn, I think they were lucky to be where they were in the first place. How is it that a little-bro school with less tradition of championships and winning is in contention for both all of the sudden? It was only a matter of time before Bama donors opened their wallets for more than a head coach *wink wink* Oh yeah, Julio Jones chose Bammer for... um... its academics or something?

Sco
2/10/2008, 01:48 PM
Mack Brown will spring his revenge soon, no doubt: rumor is that the next next Vince Young, class of 2009 QB Russell Shepard, is soon to don burnt orange.

:rolleyes:

badger
2/10/2008, 02:17 PM
because we all know that the only way another Vince Young wins another championship/OU game is if Mack Brown stops coaching him.

BeetDigger
2/10/2008, 02:37 PM
Check back in 2011 to properly evaluate these kids

Kansas State signed 33 players, 20 were JC's. In 2011, these kids will be long gone. I wonder what their upcoming OOC schedules look like? Are they back to their steady diet of two 1-AA schools per year? Long live the ghost of Bill Snyder.

Collier11
2/10/2008, 02:46 PM

hey now, dont make it look like that was my quote

Jacie
2/10/2008, 04:02 PM
From EDSBS, this will save everyone the trouble of actually having to watch any game in 2010:

The top ten classes, in an extremely scientific and indisputable manner from Rivals.com:

1 Alabama
2 Notre Dame
3 Florida
4 Miami
5 Oklahoma
6 Georgia
7 USC
8 Florida State
9 Ohio State
10 Michigan

Again: this is science, and you’re looking at the exact finish of the BCS top ten in three years. Glad we could save you the trouble of watching the games, or of showing you the five biggest disappointments, because Brian’s already got that. Tommy Tuberville is in ****ing trouble. Underline that: oh-for-seven in-state against Saban.

The big get for Alabama was Julio Jones, the phenomenal Alabama wideout who adopted a vow of silence leading up to his recruitment. Jones announced on ESPNU with an admirable lack of fanfare: walked in, thanked people, put on a hat, and then shut up and left. The gloating may begin for Alabama fans, who claim their 363rd national title and can begin letting everyone know about their heaping pile of recruiting awesome, starting with their leader’s Ari Goldian celebration.

Grimey
2/11/2008, 01:39 PM
Hell, linebacker Yourhighness Morgan...

:D

Civicus_Sooner
2/11/2008, 02:36 PM
Alas, Rocky Top no longer has Peyton Manning to get them a championship,
Heh, you mean T-Martin? Payton was sort of a dissapointment in college from what I recall.

Collier11
2/11/2008, 02:41 PM
Heh, you mean T-Martin? Payton was sort of a dissapointment in college from what I recall.

Not really, unless you consider losing your senior Fiesta Bowl 42-17 with the national title on the line a disappointment? :D

Civicus_Sooner
2/11/2008, 03:20 PM
But didn't Martin win the MNC and not Payton?

Collier11
2/11/2008, 03:25 PM
But didn't Martin win the MNC and not Payton?

yes, I was just saying that Peyton had a shot at the Natl title and got blown out by Neb

Civicus_Sooner
2/11/2008, 03:29 PM
yes, I was just saying that Peyton had a shot at the Natl title and got blown out by Nebheh, even better.
:D

badger
2/12/2008, 12:09 PM
if it was a national title, i would have called it that.
"championships" can refer to conference ones... or if you're texas, recruiting ones :D