PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever

kc sooner
2/9/2008, 06:13 PM
Feel sorry for Jeff Capel? I sure do. I understand we don't have talent at the guard position, but why do they have to do so many dumb things every game. This team is so frustrating to watch, because they do so many things that are just stupid. I understand missing shots, but can't we at least play smart every once in a while. We suck at shooting, we suck at driving to the basket, we suck at free throws, let's at least try to play smart every once in a while. Sorry, but colorado for crying out loud!!!!!!! I don't care if Longar is out or not, colorado sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OUmillenium
2/10/2008, 04:12 PM
I feel your pain...and I pray for some JC recruits next year.

King Crimson
2/10/2008, 04:57 PM
i've never seen a team that makes as many unforced turnovers as we have the last two years (i'm not making any correlation to coaching change, just the players we got on the floor after the Taj, Everett and Bookout crew graduated). and nearly always bungle a break opportunity off a good D play. and give it right back or fail to finish at the rim.

it's gonna be a tough stretch to close out the year, I'm afraid.

OUSKINS
2/10/2008, 09:37 PM
Feel sorry for him? Nope.

I'd feel sorry for him if I thought Joe C. was about to fire him or something, but Capel pretty much knew what he was coming into, and in college sports, it's not like the coach can blame the GM for not getting him good enough players. Ultimately, if OU isn't able to get talented basketball players, it will fall on Capel's shoulders.

You judge a college coach on two things:

1. Actual Coaching
2. Recruiting

Overall, I think Capel is looking good in both of those departments. One of the reasons we're frustrated as fans right now is because OU has played VERY well for much of this season-- we could realistically see a trip to the Big Dance and hopes were raised. I think that is a testament to Capel's coaching abilities. The way we rallied after the SFA loss was very impressive. Now, we're at another crossroads in the season and we'll see how the team responds to Capel's pointed comments following the CU game.

As far as recruiting goes, Capel seems to be on a great path. Willie Warren is a five star recruit, and I'm also anxious to see Ryan Wright (not a recruit technically, but Capel obviously had a hand in him coming here). If Blake sticks around, we could be really good next year.

Capel is stuck right now with some bad luck (injuries and the Clark situation) and he was left with an empty stable at the guard position. I think he's probably gotten more out of Crocker than anyone would have guessed.

Unfortunately, due to the general lack of interest in OU basketball from the fanbase, most people glance at the team from time and time and probably assume Capel isn't doing much, but for those of us who watch this team closely, it's pretty clear to see that the guy is going to be good.

badger
2/12/2008, 12:34 PM
I don't miss Kelvin. I think Capel needs more time, and we'll give it to him, unlike our sister school to the north :D

stoops the eternal pimp
2/12/2008, 01:05 PM
I don't miss Kelvin. I think Capel needs more time, and we'll give it to him, unlike our sister school to the north :D

When I saw the stat of Indiana being one of the top scoring teams in the country I thought Kelvin Sampon and top scoring team go together like peanut butter and mayonnaise.

badger
2/12/2008, 03:03 PM
When I saw the stat of Indiana being one of the top scoring teams in the country I thought Kelvin Tampon and top scoring team go together like peanut butter and mayonnaise.
I like your new nickname of Calvin :D

stoops the eternal pimp
2/12/2008, 03:14 PM
I like your new nickname of Calvin :D

Me too :D

badger
2/12/2008, 03:21 PM
Me too :D
Due to coaching high scoring, exciting basketball at a school NOT named OU (but with coincidentally similar colors and similar football uniforms), I hereby move that "Calvin Simpson" hereby be renamed "Kelvin Tampon."

All in favor?

Collier11
2/12/2008, 03:42 PM
Due to coaching high scoring, exciting basketball at a school NOT named OU (but with coincidentally similar colors and similar football uniforms), I hereby move that "Calvin Simpson" hereby be renamed "Kelvin Tampon."

All in favor?

Should we CALL him and ask first?:D IN!

Stoop Dawg
2/12/2008, 03:54 PM
I'll feel sorry for Capel when he wins 70% of his games, gets to the Final Four and a couple of Elite Eights, then has unappreciative "fans" call him names. For now, I think he has his hands full trying to get back to .500 in conference play.

Statalyzer
2/12/2008, 04:48 PM
I'll feel sorry for Capel when he wins 70% of his games, gets to the Final Four and a couple of Elite Eights, cheats, and leaves, then has unappreciative "fans" call him names. For now, I think he has his hands full trying to get back to .500 in conference play.

Fixed.

Collier11
2/12/2008, 05:10 PM
I'll feel sorry for Capel when he wins 70% of his games, gets to the Final Four and a couple of Elite Eights, then has unappreciative "fans" call him names. For now, I think he has his hands full trying to get back to .500 in conference play.

How do you expect us to react to a guy that left the program on probation, without much in the cupboard to work with, and with the reputation as cheaters...Screw him! Why would you ever feel sorry for KS? I am appreciative for the success he had but I could care less about the guy after the way he left things...and Then he went and did it in Indiana too!

Stoop Dawg
2/12/2008, 05:16 PM
Ah yes. His recruiting violations brought shame on the University from which it will likely never recover. The violations were, in fact, so shameful that he's not likely to ever find another job. Not coaching basketball. Not at a big-time school. Anyway, it's a good thing there have never been any other NCAA violations in any other sport to sully our reputation.

Stoop Dawg
2/12/2008, 05:17 PM
How do you expect us to react to a guy that left the program on probation, without much in the cupboard to work with, and with the reputation as cheaters

I believe many refer to him simply as "The King".

Collier11
2/12/2008, 05:25 PM
I believe many refer to him simply as "The King".

that doesnt excuse what he did now does it, and correct me if I am wrong cus I was around 8 win Switz left but did he jump ship on his own accord as soon as the violations were announced or was he forced out and did he leave being so resistant to the fact that he messed up like KS?

Also, dont you know that time heals all wounds, you cant understand why KS is so disliked considering we were a tourney team for all those years in a row and he left us with little on the roster to work with and under probation yet Capel has done a fantastic job with so little thus far.

KS will get his respect one day, but not until some time passes IMHO

Stoop Dawg
2/12/2008, 06:00 PM
Also, dont you know that time heals all wounds, you cant understand why KS is so disliked considering we were a tourney team for all those years in a row and he left us with little on the roster to work with and under probation yet Capel has done a fantastic job with so little thus far.

Frankly, no. I don't understand why KS is so disliked. I don't follow bball all that closely, but I seem to recall several recruits de-committing when KS left. I have to imagine that's pretty common. It's not like KS told them to go somewhere else, but when you change coaches it affects recruits. If KS had stayed the "cupboard" would not have been bare.

Whether Capel has done a good job or not has nothing to do with disrespecting KS. KS was no saint, but c'mon, those violations were pretty mellow.

KS will get his respect one day, but not until some time passes IMHO

KS is getting plenty of respect right now - from me at least.

badger
2/12/2008, 06:04 PM
Should we CALL him and ask first?:D IN!
Call him? Call Kall-in Tampon? Ooo, an even better nickname :D

NormanPride
2/12/2008, 07:17 PM
KS was disliked because he hated fun, and killed Top Dawg. Don't ever tell fans to stop saying Texas Sucks. Ever. :kelvin:

Stoop Dawg
2/12/2008, 08:56 PM
KS was disliked because he hated fun, and killed Top Dawg. Don't ever tell fans to stop saying Texas Sucks. Ever. :kelvin:

What? I didn't know he told fans to stop saying Texas Sucks. I'll have to reconsider.....

Collier11
2/13/2008, 01:07 AM
Yep, I feel real sorry for KS...once is an accident, 2 a problem, 3 times its a trend. So back to what you said about those violations being mellow StoopDawg, yea they were at the time but if this last incident is true then Ou would have been screwed, they probably would have been screwed after the 2nd so yea, im real glad this guy is gone. Im not calling you out, just pointing out why myself and so many others are glad he is gone.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2219042#post2219042

stoops the eternal pimp
2/13/2008, 09:56 AM
I thought the violations were pretty mellow but then he kept on. It is his blatant breaking of the rules over and over again I don't get. I don't wish the guy harm and have gotten over any hard feelings I had but I m not gonna pretend like he did the program any great favors though. It seems to me a good coach is someone that takes a team and if or when he leaves its a better program than when he took over it. And I just don't see that with him.

Crimsontothecore
2/13/2008, 11:09 AM
Feel sorry for him? Nope.

I'd feel sorry for him if I thought Joe C. was about to fire him or something, but Capel pretty much knew what he was coming into, and in college sports, it's not like the coach can blame the GM for not getting him good enough players. Ultimately, if OU isn't able to get talented basketball players, it will fall on Capel's shoulders.

You judge a college coach on two things:

1. Actual Coaching
2. Recruiting

Overall, I think Capel is looking good in both of those departments. One of the reasons we're frustrated as fans right now is because OU has played VERY well for much of this season-- we could realistically see a trip to the Big Dance and hopes were raised. I think that is a testament to Capel's coaching abilities. The way we rallied after the SFA loss was very impressive. Now, we're at another crossroads in the season and we'll see how the team responds to Capel's pointed comments following the CU game.

As far as recruiting goes, Capel seems to be on a great path. Willie Warren is a five star recruit, and I'm also anxious to see Ryan Wright (not a recruit technically, but Capel obviously had a hand in him coming here). If Blake sticks around, we could be really good next year.

Capel is stuck right now with some bad luck (injuries and the Clark situation) and he was left with an empty stable at the guard position. I think he's probably gotten more out of Crocker than anyone would have guessed.

Unfortunately, due to the general lack of interest in OU basketball from the fanbase, most people glance at the team from time and time and probably assume Capel isn't doing much, but for those of us who watch this team closely, it's pretty clear to see that the guy is going to be good.
Couldn't agree more. I see nothing but positive signs from Jeff. Honestly, as bad as it seems the team is playing right now, This team played above it's head in many early games.
I, for one, don't believe this same team if coached by Sampson would have won three in a row against Gonzaga, Arkansas, and west Virginia on the road...no way.
I truly think that a full, healthy roster under Capel will be a force to be reckoned with.

Stoop Dawg
2/13/2008, 12:38 PM
I thought the violations were pretty mellow but then he kept on. It is his blatant breaking of the rules over and over again I don't get.

Frankly, I don't get it either. Like I said, he's no saint.

I don't wish the guy harm and have gotten over any hard feelings I had but I m not gonna pretend like he did the program any great favors though. It seems to me a good coach is someone that takes a team and if or when he leaves its a better program than when he took over it. And I just don't see that with him.

Well, he has the highest winning % of any coach in OU history. I don't know how to find that attendance numbers, but winning usually increases attendance. He wasn't as "spunky" as Billy Tubbs, but he wasn't as controversial either. Not until the very end, anyway.

I just don't want to be one of those guys that bad-mouths one of the best coaches in our history just because of some rinky-dink recruiting violation that didn't amount to diddly. But that's just me.

Collier11
2/13/2008, 12:57 PM
I just don't want to be one of those guys that bad-mouths one of the best coaches in our history just because of some rinky-dink recruiting violation that didn't amount to diddly. But that's just me.

Didnt amount to anything, we got put on probation and lost public credibility and now if he was still at OU we would be losing Schollys and tourney appearances. Coupled with the Romar incident we may be getting the dreaded 'lack of institutional control' right about now.

Im not sitting here saying he is a bad person or a bad coach but how hard is it to follow one particular rule, especially after being busted twice before

Crimsontothecore
2/13/2008, 01:56 PM
Sorry, but: Cheater and lier = Bad person

kc sooner
2/13/2008, 02:08 PM
I think Capel is going to do a good job here as well and I'm glad we don't have the cheater anymore, I just know it's very frustrating watching stupid plays all the time for me, I just can't imagine being the coach and having to watch it, because a lot of dumb things they do are things you can't help with coaching, it's just using your head and thinking about what you are doing.