PDA

View Full Version : Leach.....

LSUdeek
2/8/2008, 08:32 PM
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/15447046.html

LSU will open the 2008 football season Aug. 30 in Tiger Stadium against Appalachian State .....

Appalachian State became the opponent after Texas Tech declined an offer to open the season against the Tigers. Appalachian State made national news last September by winning at Michigan, which was ranked in the top 10 at the time of the 2007 season-opening upset.

They wouldn't even accept money to come play at LSU.

Vaevictis
2/8/2008, 09:03 PM

Would LSU accept money to go play a one-off opener at a big time program? Not bloody likely.

Vaevictis
2/8/2008, 09:11 PM
Basically, Texas Tech (under Leach) isn't so low on the totem pole that they do that. They're a respectable team from a big conference.

You pay teams from the Sun Belt, Division I-AA, etc, and sometimes perennial bottom dwellers like Baylor to do that, not average teams (or better) from the big conferences.

Based on what I've seen, if you want to play teams of middling or better stature from the big conferences, you do home and home.

BudSooner
2/8/2008, 10:05 PM
Pfffft, gimme Appalachian State to cover the spread. :D

BigRedJed
2/8/2008, 10:11 PM
Basically, Texas Tech (under Leach) isn't so low on the totem pole that they do that. They're a respectable team from a big conference.

You pay teams from the Sun Belt, Division I-AA, etc, and sometimes perennial bottom dwellers like Baylor to do that, not average teams (or better) from the big conferences.

Based on what I've seen, if you want to play teams of middling or better stature from the big conferences, you do home and home.
Which shows you how far the Sooners had sunk when they agreed to play Notre Dame one-off in South Bend in '99.

Soonerfan88
2/8/2008, 11:03 PM
For the same reason LSU wouldn't accept money to come play OU on Aug 30th -- they needed a home game.

LSUdeek
2/9/2008, 12:16 PM
For the same reason LSU wouldn't accept money to come play OU on Aug 30th -- they needed a home game.

Are you trying to equate LSU with TTech? We were going to play them in 2010 at Lubbock. They wanted us to come there first.

Ash
2/9/2008, 12:29 PM
Why was this thread even started?

AverageJoe
2/9/2008, 12:35 PM
Why was this thread even started?

Cause nobody likes Deek on his own boards so he hangs out here.

LSUdeek
2/9/2008, 10:19 PM
Cause nobody likes Deek on his own boards so he hangs out here.

You nailed it!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

MamaMia
2/9/2008, 11:20 PM

They wouldn't even accept money to come play at LSU. Maybe they didn't want you all to shake their bus and throw things at them. :P

PLaw
2/10/2008, 09:56 AM
Would LSU accept money to go play a one-off opener at a big time program? Not bloody likely.

Hmmmm, as Tech alum, I would have liked for the Raiders to have signed up for it. Basically, they have nothing to lose and possibly some huge upside. The Leach offense could be difficult for anybody to handle first time out. The national exposure for Crabtree and Harrell would have been off the charts. Just sayin'

Boomer

Harry Beanbag
2/10/2008, 10:26 AM
Are you trying to equate LSU with TTech? We were going to play them in 2010 at Lubbock. They wanted us to come there first.

Tulsa was supposed to be in Lubbock on Aug. 30 but backed out. They needed aother home game to replace them.

batonrougesooner
2/10/2008, 10:40 AM
I would love it if OU would accept money to open the season at LSU.

badger
2/10/2008, 11:09 AM
Well, OU agreed to a home-and-home with Notre Dame once and they bought their way out so they wouldn't have to come to Norman after we went there. Perhaps T-Tceh was afraid that LSU would do the same to them.

If Tech wants to be known as something other than "TCEH" and actually be a prominent, ranked opponent in the nation, it needs to play more prominent, ranked opponents in the preseason.

Vaevictis
2/10/2008, 04:41 PM
If Tech wants to be known as something other than "TCEH" and actually be a prominent, ranked opponent in the nation, it needs to play more prominent, ranked opponents in the preseason.

I think that would be putting the cart before the horse, though. If they want that, they should start by contending for the Big XII title first.

Frozen Sooner
2/10/2008, 05:12 PM
Well, OU agreed to a home-and-home with Notre Dame once and they bought their way out so they wouldn't have to come to Norman after we went there. Perhaps T-Tceh was afraid that LSU would do the same to them.

That didn't actually happen, badger. It's message board lore, but Notre Dame's game with us in 1999 was not supposed to be a home and home.

BigRedJed
2/10/2008, 05:15 PM
That didn't actually happen, badger. It's message board lore, but Notre Dame's game with us in 1999 was not supposed to be a home and home.
Hence, my point about how much suckitude OU had achieved at that point.

Frozen Sooner
2/10/2008, 05:20 PM
To be fair, I think our AD had a lot of stuff on his mind at the time. :(

stoops the eternal pimp
2/10/2008, 06:24 PM
Tech only likes to play schools that represent a city or a section of the state...For example Northwest Louisiana St not Louisiana State...Even though they do have to play Texas, they much prefer Texas El Paso

Pricetag
2/11/2008, 02:14 PM
Didn't they get demolished at Ohio State to open the 2002 season? I don't think it did much for them. I think it would have been amusing to watch the new LSU defensive coordinator try to defend that offense in his first game, but I don't blame Tech at all for not taking the bait.

colleyvillesooner
2/11/2008, 02:20 PM
Yep, 45-21

http://www.centralohio.com/ohiostate/stories/20020825/football/502700.html

royalfan5
2/11/2008, 02:31 PM
From Tech's perspective, giving up a home game is tough from a revenue perspective considering that basketball may be taking a substantial revenue hit with Knight's retirement. You have to pay for women's sports somehow, and you don't do it taking one off road games when you have a full-sized football stadium that can host cheap non-bcs schools instead.

cheezyq
2/11/2008, 03:15 PM

Did you offer a guaranteed return game at Lubbock? Doubt it.