PDA

View Full Version : So How Do Capel and The Boys Finish Up?

stoopified
2/8/2008, 05:32 PM
I had such high hopes for this year and my predicted finish of 21-10 heading into the BIG 12 Tourney.Then the roof fell in;Blake got hurt,Clark bombed out, and then L2 lost his battle with the stress fracture and is proably out for the year.I'm thinking 18-13 is a likely finish and NIT.Hope I am wrong.

OUSKINS
2/8/2008, 05:38 PM
I have a LITTLE more faith than you do. Just a little. Your prediction would have us finishing up 3-6 the rest of the way. I think 4-5 is much more likely, with 5-4 still being a possibility. If Longar returns within the next few games, then I'll still hold out hope for 6-3.

Put a gun to my head.....I say we finish one game better than you predicted: 19-12 and I'll go ahead and give us a 1-1 record in the Big 12 Tourney to finish at 20-13. Painfully, that final record would probably put us as one of the last teams out of the Dance :(

By the way.....on the Animal today they kept saying "IF Longar plays on Saturday." Do they know something we don't?

Crimsontothecore
2/8/2008, 07:14 PM
Here's my prediction:
At Colorado- Win
I. State- Win
At Texas Tech- Loss
Baylor- Win
At Texas- Loss
At Nebraska- Win
Texas A&M- Win
At Okie State- Loss
Mizzou- Loss

We finish 20-11 and get one win in the Big12 tourney and make the big dance.
I gotta say that road games at Texas Tech and Okie State are winnable as is Mizzou in Norman. Call me an optimist but that's how I see it.

OKC-SLC
2/8/2008, 10:09 PM
Mizzou is not good at all.

Mjcpr
2/8/2008, 10:26 PM
What did Mizzou suspend........5 players?

tdsooner1321
2/8/2008, 11:13 PM
Here's my prediction:

At Texas Tech- Loss

I think we can beat tech without longar if we can beat them without b. griffin

stoopified
2/8/2008, 11:35 PM
I hope you guys are right BUT I think foul trouble and fatigue will kill us.I think fatigue is one reason our shooting went in the crapper in the second half of the UT game.If your starters are playing around 35 minutes a game it shows up on D and in shooting(no legs in the shot).

OUSKINS
2/9/2008, 09:32 AM
Good article by Andy Katz over on ESPN.com....basically, he sat in a room at NCAA headquarters for two days during a "mock bracket selection." At this point, those making the decisions, had us solidly in at a #6 seed. In other words, our credentials are already good-- people see our SOS and are impresssed with our OOC wins.

At this point, we probably just need to reach that 20 win mark...from there, we're most likely in.

King Crimson
2/9/2008, 09:42 AM
i'd take a 1 point win today, no questions asked.

20 wins is purely cosmetic these days. it doesn't really mean anything like what it used to. record against rpi top 50 is far more important as far as being on or off the bubble....or eventual seeding.

MojoRisen
2/9/2008, 10:24 AM
Guys- I am out of the loop on the BBALL this year. I have been able to watch about 4 games or so out east. Did Clark flunk out of school?

I think we need longar to come back and if he does even prior to the B12 tourney I think we can win up too 22 games this year. I think Godbold has stepped up- would be nice to see Cade start putting up 10 a game.

OUSKINS
2/9/2008, 12:11 PM
Guys- I am out of the loop on the BBALL this year. I have been able to watch about 4 games or so out east. Did Clark flunk out of school?

I think we need longar to come back and if he does even prior to the B12 tourney I think we can win up too 22 games this year. I think Godbold has stepped up- would be nice to see Cade start putting up 10 a game.

1. Yes, Clark flunked out-- essentially at least. I do not claim to know the exact situation, but apparantly he either didn't show up to a winter intersession class, didn't pass it, etc... and lost his elibility for the year.

2. Nobody likes Capel more than me-- I think the guy is a gem. But if I had one complaint this year, it's how he's handled Cade Davis. I thought there were some good opportunities for Capel to get Davis more quality reps in during non-conference games, and he sort of shuffled him in and out randomly. Watch shootaround-- Davis is clearly the best "pure" shooter on the team. But his minutes are so infrequent that I think he's pressing when he gets in there.

With our current lack of bench support- here's what I would do: Start Davis and bring Godbold off the bench. In the end, Godbold would wind up with "starter's minutes," but this would be a good way for Davis to establish a role and maybe contribute a little. Plus, it gives us a little extra spark on the bench.

Random tanget here....I'm a big Cleveland Cavs fan... and they've had a ton of injuries lately. But rather than take a guy like Daniel Gibson, who has been a very productive bench player and move him into the starting lineup, they instead took Ira Newble (who was getting almost no PT) and put him in the starting spot. It has accomplished two things:

1. Newble has found a niche. He still doesn't get major minutes, but he knows what he is expected to do every night. He has an established role.

2. Keeps the bench dynamic intact.

Last night, Newble scored 18 points, grabbed 8 boards, and helped the Cavs win in Atlanta despite missing Varejao, Gooden, Pavlovic, and Gibson.

Just a thought :)

tulsaoilerfan
2/9/2008, 02:00 PM
I'm wondering if there are any big bodies on the football team that can play a little hoops? Realistically, if LL is out for the rest of the season, it's going to be tough to win with only 2 frontcourt players

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/9/2008, 04:30 PM
Here's my prediction:
At Colorado- Win
I. State- Win
At Texas Tech- Loss
Baylor- Win
At Texas- Loss
At Nebraska- Win
Texas A&M- Win
At Okie State- Loss
Mizzou- Loss

We finish 20-11 and get one win in the Big12 tourney and make the big dance.
I gotta say that road games at Texas Tech and Okie State are winnable as is Mizzou in Norman. Call me an optimist but that's how I see it.

I can't call you an optimist if you think we are going to lose to MIZZOU in Norman. :D They are a terrible road team minus their best player for the rest of the year.

Otherwise I like your picks. Neb is very beatable in Lincoln but I could see us losing that game. Especially given that the officials might call a foul every time someone breathes on Maric when we are there.

stoopified
2/9/2008, 06:26 PM
Well we just went down the crapper at CU and that WAS THE ROAD GAME I thought we would win.Without at LEAST an 8-8 conference mark we have no shot at the NCAA.I just don't see 5 more conference wins.As always when giving a prediction of such a bleak future for OU,I HOPE I am wrong.Please someone convince me I'm wrong.

jdsooner
2/9/2008, 06:58 PM
Can you say, NIT?

tulsaoilerfan
2/9/2008, 07:44 PM
Well we just went down the crapper at CU and that WAS THE ROAD GAME I thought we would win.Without at LEAST an 8-8 conference mark we have no shot at the NCAA.I just don't see 5 more conference wins.As always when giving a prediction of such a bleak future for OU,I HOPE I am wrong.Please someone convince me I'm wrong.
Without Longar and with the horrible guard play we have seen lately we will be lucky to win 2 more games in the conference; i hope i'm wrong but right now they are the Griffin brothers and nothing else

jdsooner
2/9/2008, 09:43 PM
It killed us to lose the recruits that Sampson had coming in.
It killed us to lose so many transfers during the final years of Sampson's reign.
It is killing us that there are so many bad things happening that Capel cannot control.
I hope that next year we have a FULL squad and some good fortune.
Capel deserves it.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/10/2008, 12:14 PM
Without Longar and with the horrible guard play we have seen lately we will be lucky to win 2 more games in the conference; i hope i'm wrong but right now they are the Griffin brothers and nothing else

I haven't given up hope that we get at least get to 8-8 but I would have to say NIT looks a lot more likely than the NCAA tourney at this point.

As bad as our perimeter shooting has been 4-26 is a new low. Not just the % but the fact that most were open shots. As good as the Griffins have been inside I don't know that we can expect more production. We simply must shoot better from behind the arc, period. If we were 9-26 which is far from lights out we probably win and win by a decent margin.

stoopified
2/16/2008, 08:57 PM
well with that HUGE road win at TT we are 17-8 and a virtual lock to pass my 18-13 prediction.I have NEVER been happier to be wrong.

Big Red Ron
2/16/2008, 10:15 PM
well with that HUGE road win at TT we are 17-8 and a virtual lock to pass my 18-13 prediction.I have NEVER been happier to be wrong.I'm now guessing we go 21-10 heading into the NCAA.

birddog
2/16/2008, 11:31 PM
Can you say, NIT?

about as quick as i can say march madness.

baylor-W
ut-L
nebraska-W
texas a&m-L
osu-L
mu-W

then we get one in the tourney.

record heading into the ncaa tourney 21-12.

jdsooner
2/17/2008, 03:47 PM
Can you say, NIT?

Looks like I was too pessimistic. My hope is that we win all three at home
(Baylor, A&M, Missouri) and get one at home to finish 9-7 in the Big 12
and 21-11 overall. That should get us in the NCAA tourney.

birddog
2/17/2008, 04:00 PM
that's the thing with this team, once you get comfortable they find a way to make you fret.

King Crimson
2/17/2008, 06:09 PM
that's the thing with this team, once you get comfortable they find a way to make you fret.

ain't that the truth.