PDA

View Full Version : Need help...Olvet...or anyother dog knowing folks

TexasSooner01
2/8/2008, 01:06 PM
I have a 4yr old Staffordshire Terrier who is going thru a false pregnancy. So I got her a couple of stuffed animals which she carries with her everywhere. She has now started to produce milk, nest and such. She has also become more protective over the kiddos lately, like they are her pups.

Is this type of stuff normal? She has never had a litter of pups, should I let her have a litter after this false pregnancy is over?

The only male dog she was around when she was in season last is "fixed" so I know she aint really preggers...she just thinks she is...

Should i take her into the vet? Someone told me that they sometimes get infections in their milk glands during fake pregnancys....

I just feel bad for her.... :(

soonerbrat
2/8/2008, 01:14 PM
call the shelter and see if they have any orphaned pups that need a foster mother

soonerbrat
2/8/2008, 01:15 PM
http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/fap.html

here's a good article

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/8/2008, 01:30 PM
My little dog used to do that even after she was spayed. Some of them are just more maternal.

soonerbrat
2/8/2008, 01:32 PM
My little dog used to do that even after she was spayed. Some of them are just more maternal.

she produced milk after she was spayed?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/8/2008, 01:33 PM
Yep, just a little bit periodically and there wasn't anything wrong with her. She lived to be almost 18.

Mjcpr
2/8/2008, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't let it go to waste. Not a lot of people know this but dog milk is high in Vitamins E, A and D and you really can't even tell the difference if you have it on cereal or something. Or coffee. There is nothing handier than a mobile coffee creamer.

soonerbrat
2/8/2008, 01:35 PM
that can't happen. they remove the ovaries when they spay which would eliminate hormone production that would cause that.

Mjcpr
2/8/2008, 01:37 PM
Maybe it was 8 tiny peni.

Hamhock
2/8/2008, 01:49 PM
Should i take her into the vet? Someone told me that they sometimes get infections in their milk glands during fake pregnancys....

I just feel bad for her.... :(

if you really love her, you'll help relieve the pressue.

soonerbrat
2/8/2008, 01:50 PM
No, that's actually a bad idea, any stimulation increases milk production. if she's licking herself she may need one of those big collars that keep pets from licking themselves

soonerloyal
2/8/2008, 02:16 PM
What a buncha...guys.

Yeah, take her in to the vet for a checkup anyway. Rarely but sometimes it's a hormonal problem easily fixed. It's always a good idea to rule out sickness/disease.

I'm just wondering though, if she were to take in a pup that needs the milk and love, wouldn't it be emotionally hurtful to separate them once they've bonded?

I'll never trust enough to drink a creamed cup of coffee at a Sooner tailgate again. Thanks, Mjcpr...:D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/8/2008, 02:18 PM
that can't happen. they remove the ovaries when they spay which would eliminate hormone production that would cause that.Do they always remove the ovaries? All I know is that she would have a milk-like discharge.

Hamhock
2/8/2008, 02:20 PM
No, that's actually a bad idea, any stimulation increases milk production. if she's licking herself she may need one of those big collars that keep pets from licking themselves

please see mjcpr's post.

soonerbrat
2/8/2008, 02:56 PM
What a buncha...guys.

Yeah, take her in to the vet for a checkup anyway. Rarely but sometimes it's a hormonal problem easily fixed. It's always a good idea to rule out sickness/disease.

I'm just wondering though, if she were to take in a pup that needs the milk and love, wouldn't it be emotionally hurtful to separate them once they've bonded?

I'll never trust enough to drink a creamed cup of coffee at a Sooner tailgate again. Thanks, Mjcpr...:D

why would it be any more emotionally hurtful than any other time you take puppies away from their mother? it's a hormonal problem but there's no treatment except spaying - and that should be delayed until after the false pregnancy subsides.

TexasSooner01
2/8/2008, 02:58 PM
if you really love her, you'll help relieve the pressue.

Ok so which of you hillbillies know where i can get a doggie breast pump... :texan:

The foster pup idea is a good one...if Bambi will accept it as hers...

BigRedJed
2/8/2008, 03:02 PM
Do they always remove the ovaries? All I know is that she would have a milk-like discharge.
Well geez. Didn't you at least taste it, to see if it really was? Some owner you are.

olevetonahill
2/8/2008, 03:07 PM
I aint that kinda Olevet. But If it bothers her then a 22 shell will fix the prob .

soonerbrat
2/8/2008, 03:08 PM
I aint that kinda Olevet. But If it bothers her then a 22 shell will fix the prob .

:eek:

olevetonahill
2/8/2008, 03:10 PM
:eek:
:D

TexasSooner01
2/8/2008, 03:16 PM

:mad:

you meanie!!!!

:D

Scott D
2/8/2008, 03:26 PM

this is why I pick up strays at the shelter and dump em off at some shack in the hills of SE Oklahoma.

olevetonahill
2/8/2008, 03:27 PM
this is why I pick up strays at the shelter and dump em off at some shack in the hills of SE Oklahoma.
Its a cheap way to Spay and neuter em

TexasSooner01
2/8/2008, 03:35 PM
Its a cheap way to Spay and neuter em

Sure...you talk big...but we all know you love your dogs! :D

Scott D
2/8/2008, 03:39 PM
the way you get him to keep dogs is to tie a minikeg full of natty lite around their neck like a collar

stoopified
2/8/2008, 03:55 PM
:(

olevetonahill
2/8/2008, 04:19 PM
Sure...you talk big...but we all know you love your dogs! :D
Busted :O

soonerloyal
2/8/2008, 07:48 PM
why would it be any more emotionally hurtful than any other time you take puppies away from their mother? it's a hormonal problem but there's no treatment except spaying - and that should be delayed until after the false pregnancy subsides.

Well, maybe not every surrogate pup program works the same way, but the one I observed had the pups there only for a few days to a week. The "moms" made an immediate bond, but didn't get a chance to wean the babies, were used only as quickie wetnurses, and didn't get the weeks of readying themselves for the break. Those mamas were really traumatized when the babies disappeared.

It sucked.

olevetonahill
2/8/2008, 07:59 PM
Well, maybe not every surrogate pup program works the same way, but the one I observed had the pups there only for a few days to a week. The "moms" made an immediate bond, but didn't get a chance to wean the babies, were used only as quickie wetnurses, and didn't get the weeks of readying themselves for the break. Those mamas were really traumatized when the babies disappeared.

It sucked.
Living Out in the Boonies
Ive seen How some of these Bitch Mommas ween the Babies
They Get up One morning and say Come on Kids lets go for a walk .
Bitch Momma comes Home with 2 Less . gets up again and say OK Yall lil Bastages Lets Go .
Takes whats Left fer a walk
Losses em all In the woods , Comes Home and Gets knocked up again .
Yup that Bitch was TRAUMATISED .
Just sayin
If the Momma Dog had Given Me a few More Days I had Homes Fer all of em