PDA

View Full Version : Writer's strike over?

crawfish
2/8/2008, 09:46 AM
Seems to be so.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/23057002?

Now....GET BACK AND WRITE THE FREAKING REST OF THIS SEASON OF LOST, YOU SLACKERS.

Mjcpr
2/8/2008, 09:48 AM
I saw a small article on this in my Sunday paper that said they had reached a tentative agreement and would probably finalize the deal this week but I never saw anything about it after that.

I wonder if it's too late to continue any of this season's shows?

sooner_born_1960
2/8/2008, 09:49 AM
As a result of studio cutbacks, however, many of the writers who went on strike are unlikely to return to the same big-money contracts they'd had as individuals with the studios, Eisner said.
Makes it all seem worthwhile.

proud gonzo
2/8/2008, 09:58 AM
I saw a small article on this in my Sunday paper that said they had reached a tentative agreement and would probably finalize the deal this week but I never saw anything about it after that.

I wonder if it's too late to continue any of this season's shows?yes

soonerhubs
2/8/2008, 10:03 AM
I've been turning the TV off and reading my favorite novels. I actually think my mind is becoming clearer because of this. Does that seem weird?

TexasSooner01
2/8/2008, 10:09 AM
http://tvwritersstrike.blogspot.com/

There is some info on LOST here...but the latest is that it is To Be Deceided...

BOOOO!!!

Widescreen
2/8/2008, 10:33 AM
There was supposedly a cutoff date later this month where the studios were going to cancel the rest of their seasons. Supposedly if the deal really occurs this week, they plan on having new shows this season.

sooneron
2/8/2008, 10:37 AM
It will all depend upon the production size of the shows. Some are much easier to pull off in a short amount of time. Lost? Not so much.

GottaHavePride
2/8/2008, 11:02 AM
Yeah, first you'd have to write the scripts and edit them, and then you have to round up that entire damn cast and crew and fly them off wherever they film. Then filming, editing, etc. etc. That doesn't happen fast, especially with a large-cast off-lot show.

proud gonzo
2/8/2008, 11:04 AM
nope. Most of those shows are done well in advance. It's not like you write and produce an episode each week as the season goes along.

royalfan5
2/8/2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah, first you'd have to write the scripts and edit them, and then you have to round up that entire damn cast and crew and fly them off wherever they film. Then filming, editing, etc. etc. That doesn't happen fast, especially with a large-cast off-lot show.
Couldn't the writers have been working on scripts the whole time, and have a bunch ready to go? I don't see why being on strike would prevent people from working on scripts, just turning them over for production.

proud gonzo
2/8/2008, 11:13 AM
seems like it would have defeated the purpose of striking if the studios were like "oh, well it doesn't matter because as soon as it's over they'll just hand us all the stuff they've been writing this whole time"

yermom
2/8/2008, 11:15 AM
well, they don't have to tell them they were doing that ;)

but yeah, the studios need to feel the pain

royalfan5
2/8/2008, 11:19 AM
seems like it would have defeated the purpose of striking if the studios were like "oh, well it doesn't matter because as soon as it's over they'll just hand us all the stuff they've been writing this whole time"
It seems that taking shows out of production would be plenty painful, and that you would want to be in a position to restore your income flow as soon as possible after it's been disrupted for thee months.

tbl
2/8/2008, 11:25 AM
The Office
Heroes

Yes....

proud gonzo
2/8/2008, 11:26 AM
that doesn't mean they haven't been working on OTHER projects in the meantime. If it'd been me, I would have been working on screenplays and such.

But really, if you were a factory worker on strike would you say "oh, don't worry. i'll do all the work from home, so when we get this deal all made you won't be too far behind."?

crawfish
2/8/2008, 11:27 AM
that doesn't mean they haven't been working on OTHER projects in the meantime. If it'd been me, I would have been working on screenplays and such.

But really, if you were a factory worker on strike would you say "oh, don't worry. i'll do all the work from home, so when we get this deal all made you won't be too far behind."?

Since the arguments were about residuals, there might have been some motivation on their part to use their time to create work to earn residuals from. You think?

royalfan5
2/8/2008, 11:30 AM

A writer isn't a factory worker though. And in a factory strike, production generally resumes immediately. Plus, in situations where the producer leads the writing team, e.g Ryan Murphy of Nip/Tuck and Pretty Handsome, wouldn't you want to be working the whole time to resume things quickly? If I were a writer, I would think that quick resumption of your current gig would be of the most benefit to you.

proud gonzo
2/8/2008, 11:30 AM
resuming your current gig immediately, yes.

But another thing is that they probably didn't know if they'd get their jobs back or if the shows would get cancelled or even still be going when the strike finished. So would it have been in their best interest to continue writing for a show that might not even still be on the air when the strike is over? or a show that you're no longer even still working for? Probably not.

As I said before, I would have worked on other projects. but i can't speak for all the hollywood writers, only for what I would have done in their situation.

swardboy
2/8/2008, 11:38 AM
Seems to be so.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/23057002?

Now....GET BACK AND WRITE THE FREAKING REST OF THIS SEASON OF LOST, YOU SLACKERS.

No kidding! It's bad enough we have to wait NINE MONTHS between seasons now. At worst, maybe we'll get the second half of the season as a fall schedule.

tbl
2/8/2008, 11:41 AM
Writers write. Its a creative outlet, totally different than working in a factory (you knew that before you made the bad anaology). :D I'm sure these people have been busy writing something. If you worked for Lost, 24, House, the Office, or Heroes, I'm sure you wouldn't be wasting your time writing shows as there's no way they're getting canceled.

royalfan5
2/8/2008, 11:45 AM
resuming your current gig immediately, yes.

But another thing is that they probably didn't know if they'd get their jobs back or if the shows would get cancelled or even still be going when the strike finished. So would it have been in their best interest to continue writing for a show that might not even still be on the air when the strike is over? or a show that you're no longer even still working for? Probably not.

As I said before, I would have worked on other projects. but i can't speak for all the hollywood writers, only for what I would have done in their situation.
If you are a writer on a very popular show that would be a lock for coming back, wouldn't you want to be working to maximize that. Even if you don't know that your show is coming back, what would it hurt to be prepared if it does and have some scripts ready. There is no guarantee your new stuff would get picked up either, in that case, hedging your bets would seem like the smart thing to do. Plus if your show was on the fence, having scripts ready might give you an edge over shows that don't.

proud gonzo
2/8/2008, 11:47 AM
Writers write. Its a creative outlet, totally different than working in a factory (you knew that before you made the bad anaology). :D I'm sure these people have been busy writing something. If you worked for Lost, 24, House, the Office, or Heroes, I'm sure you wouldn't be wasting your time writing shows as there's no way they're getting canceled.yeah, I know. I'm a writer. It's a creative thing, but it's also a job and a business.

Frozen Sooner
2/8/2008, 12:35 PM

They film in Hawai'i, and most of the cast lives there year-round. I think.

bri
2/8/2008, 12:37 PM
No, they can't work it out yet! I haven't finished catching up on all the seasons of 24 I haven't seen!

Widescreen
2/8/2008, 01:35 PM
yeah, I know. I'm a writer. It's a creative thing, but it's also a job and a business.
Hopefully you're not bringing your best work to the South Oval. ;)

skycat
2/8/2008, 01:52 PM
I read on Slate or somewhere that most sitcoms could have new episodes ready 4-6 weeks after the writers got back to work

Dramas would take 6-8 weeks.

Expect many network shows to have new episodes this year.

Sooner_Bob
2/8/2008, 02:12 PM
I've just been watching Law and Order reruns.

soonerhubs
2/8/2008, 02:13 PM
I've just been watching Law and Order reruns.
Just regular Law and Order or SVU?

crawfish
2/12/2008, 03:39 PM
Sounds like they queuing up for five more episodes of Lost...they plan on ending it the same way they were before, but are going to condense the final eight episodes into five.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i11eaec8a171fba49e3e855a2e1ad8636

Blue
2/12/2008, 04:19 PM
Sweet. Should be alot in those 5 episodes.