PDA

View Full Version : So Chattanooga huh???????????

AverageJoe
2/8/2008, 01:15 AM
Out of 120 Div 1 teams OU could not find one that would play us?????????????????????????????????Are you kidding me..................

Freakin Div I -AA Chattanooga Mocs..................not only are they Div I-AA they are one of the worst Div I-AA teams. They were 3-9 last season.

We might as well not even play that game, why schedule a team you know is just gonna kill your chances in the BCS if it a year similar to last year.

Dumb................And my gawd what will we score against this poor sad little team????????????

AJ

BASSooner
2/8/2008, 01:16 AM
Get over it.

Crucifax Autumn
2/8/2008, 01:29 AM
Hopefully we score about 100 points in the first half and somehow manage another 50 in the second despite third stringers being told to WALK OFF their plays!

That said...Just kidding! I remember what happened to Meatchicken when their fans were overconfident and cocky! lol

OK2U
2/8/2008, 01:31 AM
and we thought 79-10 was an ugly opener...

Crucifax Autumn
2/8/2008, 01:33 AM
I'm not so much worried about the opener or any of those early games as I am about finally pulling off the closer again.

AverageJoe
2/8/2008, 01:33 AM
Appalachian State is in the same Conference as Chatt. But App State has been one the top 5 best Div. I-AA teams forever. Chatt has been the Baylor of Div.I-AA

Crucifax Autumn
2/8/2008, 01:34 AM
Appalachian State is in the same Conference as Chatt. But App State has been one the top 5 best Div. II teams forever. Chatt has been the Baylor of Div.II

Well, in that case: 150-0 Baby!

AverageJoe
2/8/2008, 01:34 AM
I beleive the last Div I-AA or Div II team OU played was Indiana State.

j

Crucifax Autumn
2/8/2008, 01:38 AM
When and what was the score?

Rhino
2/8/2008, 01:42 AM
1999. First game of the Stoops era. 49-0.

AverageJoe
2/8/2008, 01:48 AM
I remember that they came down to Norman on old Blue and White School Buses. I am not kidding. It was a story on the news and we saw it with our own eyes. They did not want to spend all the money OU paid them on airfare or a charter bus.

j

adoniijahsooner
2/8/2008, 01:55 AM
Out of 120 Div 1 teams OU could not find one that would play us?????????????????????????????????Are you kidding me..................

Freakin Div II Chattanooga Mocs..................not only are they Div II they are one of the worst Div II teams. They were 3-9 last season.

We might as well not even play that game, why schedule a team you know is just gonna kill your chances in the BCS if it a year similar to last year.

Dumb................And my gawd what will we score against this poor sad little team????????????

AJ

Div 2 teams do not count when the bcs formula is calculated, so playing N. Texas is more hurtful than playing the MOcs

AverageJoe
2/8/2008, 01:58 AM
The computers count all games for strength of schedule. Sagrin really punishes for playing outside your Division

silverwheels
2/8/2008, 01:58 AM
They're not a Division II team.

AverageJoe
2/8/2008, 02:00 AM
Championship Subdivision then..........same thing.

silverwheels
2/8/2008, 02:01 AM
Except that it's not the same thing.

AverageJoe
2/8/2008, 02:02 AM
Explain..............

silverwheels
2/8/2008, 02:04 AM
Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Div. 1-A)
Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Div. 1-AA)
Division II
Division III

There's a fairly decent-sized gap between FCS and Div. II.

AverageJoe
2/8/2008, 02:07 AM
OK Gotcha. Forgot about AA. My bad.

thanks

silverwheels
2/8/2008, 02:09 AM
No problem. It is a little disappointing, but considering the rest of our OOC schedule this Fall, it's not as bad as it appears. With us being the designated home team in the RRS this year, we lose a home game, so Joe C. probably wanted to schedule an easy home opener.

AverageJoe
2/8/2008, 02:13 AM
It's the thing about about playing such a bad lower Div. team. If you have to dip into the lower Divisions at least pick one in the Top 30 of that Division.

But the Pope has to sell Drinks and Dogs and parking. I understand but still.

OUTromBoNado
2/8/2008, 02:18 AM
If you're gonna b!tch about the teams we schedule, why don't you b!tch to all the decent D1 teams that we had schedule deals with...then pussed out because we got good again...and now they're afraid to play us.

You know who I'm talking about. Of course, they're not much better than Chatt.

adoniijahsooner
2/8/2008, 02:23 AM
The computers count all games for strength of schedule. Sagrin really punishes for playing outside your Division

I am not allowed to post but here is a quote I just snatch from the internet site.

What about games against Division 1-AA teams?

For the purposes of these ratings, those games do not count towards a team's strength of schedule. As these ratings only cover NCAA Division 1-A teams, games played outside of this division are recorded only as wins and losses - no strength of schedule points are added or subtracted at present.

http://www.gberatings.com/about/

AverageJoe
2/8/2008, 02:40 AM
Cool.

So exactly who was the team that backed out...............I never saw the original schedule before it was changed.

AJ

Soonerfan1993
2/8/2008, 06:51 AM
Good I want to see a shutout! OU hasn't had a shutout in a long time! Time for a freaking shutout!

CincySooner
2/8/2008, 09:21 AM
I am not allowed to post but here is a quote I just snatch from the internet site.

What about games against Division 1-AA teams?

For the purposes of these ratings, those games do not count towards a team's strength of schedule. As these ratings only cover NCAA Division 1-A teams, games played outside of this division are recorded only as wins and losses - no strength of schedule points are added or subtracted at present.

http://www.gberatings.com/about/

unfortunately the GBE ratings are not part of the current BCS calculation...

Previously the SOS component counted only divIAA losses into the equation. Thus, a 3-9 Chattanooga St. Team would be calculated into the SOS as a team with an 0-9 record.

I'm going to do some quick internet research to see how a 1AA team affects the computers... back in a flash.

SOONER STEAKER
2/8/2008, 09:36 AM
It's tough to find a quality opponent when your looking in December for a team to play the next fall. This will be a game for all the QB's to play and work on those little things in game conditions...ie...specail teams, 2nd and 3rd teamers and back-up QB's.

What school dropped off our schedule to put us in the predicament?

CincySooner
2/8/2008, 10:26 AM
Colley Matrix: http://www.colleyrankings.com/iaagroups.html Very difficult to understand how this is used. I think it puts IAA teams into "groups" that are approximately equal to a single 1A team playing a 12-game schedule of 1A teams. The "groups" are then ranked as a single 1A team in his system. Unfortunately, I think this means that a "group" of 1AA teams appears on OUs shedule with a record of approximatly 3-9 against vastly inferior competition. Bad for OU.

Wolfe: http://prwolfe.bol.ucla.edu/cfootball/descrip.htm It's some wierd probablility calculation. It calculates a ranking for all 4-year colleges. So I'm guessing the W/L record of CHatanooga St. will figure into thier probablility-of-winning rating somehow. I have no idea how this affects OU as opposed to a D1A team, I'm guessing its not good.

Massey: http://www.mratings.com/theory/sched.htm read the general statement at the bottom: "An above average team should prefer to play a less distributed schedule, while a below average team should prefer to play a more distributed schedule. A more "distributed" schedule would be something like (Great, Pathetic) while a less "distributed" schedule would be (Average, Average)." So, playing Chatanooga St. make sour schedule more "distributed" which is bad because OU will certainly be above average next year. This may not be any worse than playing a North Texas-type team. Both cause the schedule to be more distributed.

Sagarin: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt07.htm "In COLLEGE FOOTBALL the W-L records include ALL games, but ONLY games between the 242 TEAMS RATED here are used for RATING and SCHEDULE STRENGTH computations." So if Chatanooga St. breaks into the top 242, then OUs rating will be calculated based on a 12-game schedule, if not then it will be an 11-game schedule. Chatanooga St. would have appeared on OUs schedule last year as #159. Bad for OUs SOS calculation, but no worse than playing a D1A scrub (UNT was #168).

Anderson&Hester: I couldn't find an official word on how 1AA teams are dealt with, but reading this link (http://www.andersonsports.com/football/BCS_Commentary_Hawaii.htm) sheds some light on how a 1AA team affected Hawaii's schedule last year. The way it reads Hawaii wasn't penalized for playing a lousy schedule, rather they are penalized for not having any high-quality wins (or medium-quality for that matter). If OU wins their games, then having Chatanooga St. on the schedule shouldn't hurt too much in this callculation.

Billingsley: http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/outdoors_news/4243684.html I can't find anything more definative on how SOS factors into his rating. His system is more "what have you done for me lately". If that's true, then playing Chatanooga St. at the beginning of the year isn't much worse than playing a UNT-type team.

RedstickSooner
2/8/2008, 10:48 AM
Playing a 1-AA team is BS & cowardly. I make fun of any team that does it, and I hate seeing our beloved Sooners do it.

We need to put massive cancellation penalties in our scheduling deals with 1-A teams so this doesn't happen. And I simply don't believe that it was impossible for us to find a 1-A team to play -- I think that we, like lots & lots & lots of other 1-A teams, simply wussed out and scheduled the Sisters of the Blind so we'd have an easy, free win at home.

I wish the BCS would put massive & explicit penalties in their formula for anyone who plays a 1-AA team to help discourage this kind of nutless behavior. I'm embarrassed, no matter how many other teams do the exact same thing.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/8/2008, 10:59 AM
Steaker is right. Its what hurt Hawaii this last season and why their AD was fired. Its tough late in the game to get another opponent scheduled. Most schools don't like giving up their bye week to go play anybody, much less OU.

I don't see the big deal. Its not like OU has scheduled one of these every year so no need to cry about it.

colleyvillesooner
2/8/2008, 11:41 AM
Tulsa just dumped Tech, so they picked up Eastern Washington. They now have 2 1-AA teams.

CincySooner
2/8/2008, 01:05 PM
After re-reading the computer break down, I thinkplaying down to 1AA will mostly manifest itself in the human polls.

Breadburner
2/8/2008, 01:50 PM
So who chickened out on our schedule.....

stoops the eternal pimp
2/8/2008, 02:09 PM
I dont think anybody chickened out. They just were having a problem finding a team for the open date.

Salt City Sooner
2/8/2008, 02:10 PM
Castiglione never I.D'd them. He would only say that they were a D-1 team.

Scott D
2/8/2008, 02:33 PM
Steaker is right. Its what hurt Hawaii this last season and why their AD was fired. Its tough late in the game to get another opponent scheduled. Most schools don't like giving up their bye week to go play anybody, much less OU.

I don't see the big deal. Its not like OU has scheduled one of these every year so no need to cry about it.

It's not what hurt Hawai'i but if you want to believe so, feel free. SEC schools schedule I-AA or D-II schools nearly every season but somehow you expect me to believe they get "punished" for that one game per season?

People clearly don't realize (not you in particular) that if you're going to schedule a "bigtime" opponent one of two things has to happen. It has to be years in advance (at least 3-4), or both schools "luck" into a situation where they have an open date, and need that "strong" opponent on their schedule to make up for having a I-AA or II team on their schedule that year.

LittleWingSooner
2/8/2008, 02:34 PM
Michigan fans were saying last year...Why App State? It's just going to be a blowout.

Unlike App State, Chat has no talent, and it'll be a blowout. But don't take games for granted. We did that last year and lost a few.

stoopified
2/8/2008, 03:41 PM
Playing Chattanoga on opening weekend is no worse than many other opening games.

AverageJoe
2/8/2008, 04:12 PM
Betcha we could have gotten Boise State...................thing is we could have gotten any number of better teams but they probably wanted more the Joe C. was willing to give be it money or home and home. But I for one would love to see Boise State, Nevada, etc come to Norman. Fresno State was in a down year when they came but Pat Hill will play anybody, anytime, anywhere.

Or USC for that matter. I know Joe has the , bad, good, better, best theory on his mind but obviously due to our Bowl performances lately maybe we need to look at non-conference scheduling a little harder and step it up a bit.

Oh and I think the un-named school that backed out was Notre Dame.

AJ

adoniijahsooner
2/8/2008, 04:20 PM
The Fact that we play Washington, Cincy, and TCU makes me less concerned about Chatt State. Those three teams should all be bowl teams and add to our strength of schedule. Kansas State, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech all seems like pretty good competition to me, and if this team isnt ready to play each week could easily lose 2-3 games next year.

Salt City Sooner
2/8/2008, 04:20 PM
Joe offered Boise St. a 2 for 1 a couple of weeks after the game w/ them. They wanted no part of it. Also, we have a home/home with Notre Dame in '12 & '13.

adoniijahsooner
2/8/2008, 04:22 PM
Joe offered Boise St. a 2 for 1 a couple of weeks after the game w/ them. They wanted no part of it. Also, we have a home/home with Notre Dame in '12 & '13.

That was smart on their part, if they get whooped all three times, then their fantasy fiesta will become a fluke in the national perception.

chad
2/8/2008, 05:16 PM
We had an agreement with Clemson for this season that was signed in 2001 (I believe) however it fell apart on both sides. We didn't really have a plan in place for this year after that fell apart (I heard 06-07 season, but don't have a verifiable source)

While I don't like having a 1-AA team on our schedule, TCU, at Washington and hosting Cinci will all be good tests and get the squad ready for the big 12 season.

It ultimatly shouldn't matter if we take care of business this whole season. I see another BCS bid come December :)

Theskipster
2/8/2008, 05:28 PM
We had an agreement with Clemson for this season that was signed in 2001 (I believe) however it fell apart on both sides. We didn't really have a plan in place for this year after that fell apart (I heard 06-07 season, but don't have a verifiable source)

While I don't like having a 1-AA team on our schedule, TCU, at Washington and hosting Cinci will all be good tests and get the squad ready for the big 12 season.

It ultimatly shouldn't matter if we take care of business this whole season. I see another BCS bid come December :)

It was Clemson and they backed out in 2004 because they wanted to play weak teams.

Clemson's AD about dropping Oklahoma.
"They’ll slap me around," said Clemson AD Terry Don Phillips, predicting some fans would be upset at the cancellation. "There’s a lot of people who want us to play Oklahoma every weekend, or Michigan or Ohio State. When you play in a great conference like we’re in, you don’t need to play marquee teams every weekend."

chad
2/8/2008, 05:35 PM
Do you have a source on that quote Skipster? I'd love to throw that in the face of a few of my Clemson friends. :)

We were just chatting about the broken-up home/away and this would be great to throw at them.

colleyvillesooner
2/8/2008, 05:44 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22They%E2%80%99ll+slap+me+around%2C%22+said+Cle mson+AD+Terry+Don+Phillips%2C&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.fanblogs.com/acc/002978.php

Salt City Sooner
2/8/2008, 05:46 PM
I don't have a link because I saved it on Word, but here's the whole article:

CLEMSON — The downsizing of Clemson’s nonconference schedule now includes canceling a future home-and-home series against Oklahoma, athletics director Terry Don Phillips said Thursday.

The Tigers were scheduled to play in Norman, Okla., on Sept. 20, 2008, with Oklahoma returning the trip to Clemson on Sept. 17, 2011. But Phillips said Clemson canceled, without paying a buyout fee, because of ACC expansion.

“If we do good in this conference, (a Bowl Championship Series berth) will take care of itself,” Phillips said. “You need to be able to play teams to acquire depth, and if you play well and don’t beat yourself, you should be able to win those games.”

Former athletics director Bobby Robinson added Oklahoma in December 2001 as a potential marquee game. The additions of Miami and Virginia Tech to the ACC this year and Boston College in 2005 changed Clemson’s approach.

Clemson replaced a series canceled by Auburn with three games against Temple, two of which will be at home. The Tigers also examined canceling a home-and-home series with Texas A&M this year and in 2005, but the Aggies were unable to make adjustments.

Pittsburgh remains on the schedule in 2009 and 2010. No replacements have been added for Oklahoma, which played for the national championship last season.

“They’ll slap me around,” said Phillips, predicting some fans would be upset at the cancellation. “There’s a lot of people who want us to play Oklahoma every weekend, or Michigan or Ohio State. When you play in a great conference like we’re in, you don’t need to play marquee teams every weekend.”

August 27, 04
The State.com

silverwheels
2/8/2008, 06:51 PM
Terry Don Phillips. :D

Yeah, the ACC is such a tough conference. :rolleyes:

bluedogok
2/8/2008, 09:08 PM
Div 2 teams do not count when the bcs formula is calculated, so playing N. Texas is more hurtful than playing the MOcs
North Texas is a Division I-A team just like OU, they moved up from Division I-AA something like 12-15 years ago. There have been a bunch of teams move up in the past 15 years.

MamaMia
2/8/2008, 10:48 PM
It does seem somewhat like another lose/lose situation, but this time we had better be fully prepared. We should have learned the hard way by now, "Its not the size of the dog in the fight that matters; its the size of the fight in the dog."

Scott D
2/9/2008, 12:05 AM
Doesn't this counter the complaints in this thread?

Appalachian State, LSU to Open Season in Matchup of National Champs

Feb 8, 8:19 PM (ET)

By MIKE CRANSTON

Better watch out, LSU. Appalachian State is coming to town.

The Mountaineers, who kicked off last year's wacky college football season with a stunning win at Michigan, will get an even tougher assignment next season when they open against the defending national champion Tigers.

Of course, Appalachian State knows plenty about winning national championships. The Mountaineers enter next season as the three-time defending champs in Division I's Football Championship Subdivision.

LSU won the Bowl Championship Series title by beating Ohio State last season. Appalachian State won its record third straight title in what used to be called Division I-AA by beating Delaware.

Appalachian State and LSU were scheduled to play in 2009, but the game was moved up a year to accommodate an opening in the Tigers' schedule. The teams will now not play in 2009.

LSU beat Appalachian State 24-0 during the 2005 season.

The Mountaineers pulled off one of college football's biggest upsets when they beat then-No. 5 Michigan at the Big House 34-32. Appalachian State safety Corey Lynch blocked the Wolverines' game-winning field goal attempt on the final play.

The victory set off a wild scene at the school's Boone, N.C. campus and thrust the Mountaineers into the national spotlight for months. Behind speedy quarterback Armanti Edwards, Appalachian State recovered from two regular-season losses to win three home playoff games before routing Delaware 49-21 in the title game.

The Mountaineers' success has led several top teams to shy away from playing them and coaches have been scrambling to fill openings on the 2008 schedule. Appalachian will visit James Madison and host Jacksonville and Presbyterian before beginning Southern Conference play.

The Mountaineers do have future games scheduled at Florida (2010), Virginia Tech (2011) and Georgia (2013).

stoops the eternal pimp
2/9/2008, 12:26 PM
It's not what hurt Hawai'i but if you want to believe so, feel free. SEC schools schedule I-AA or D-II schools nearly every season but somehow you expect me to believe they get "punished" for that one game per season?

People clearly don't realize (not you in particular) that if you're going to schedule a "bigtime" opponent one of two things has to happen. It has to be years in advance (at least 3-4), or both schools "luck" into a situation where they have an open date, and need that "strong" opponent on their schedule to make up for having a I-AA or II team on their schedule that year.

Obviously UH does have more issues with scheduling than what I posted, but it doesnt help when your AD says he's got deals done with div 1 schools and no such deals exist 6 months before the season starts.

I m with ya on the scheduling part as well. Thats sort of what I was getting at with my post. That's what makes Joe C a great AD. He's done a great job of putting schedules together year after year and think its a little weak to cry about one year where he does have to fill in a spot with a lower level team.

AverageJoe
2/9/2008, 12:32 PM
All I'm saying is that it seems like we have a tough conference schedule but the way we get blown out in Bowl games I wonder if that is true.

AJ

stoops the eternal pimp
2/9/2008, 12:33 PM
Not seeing the correlation sir..Help me out

AverageJoe
2/9/2008, 12:47 PM
Is WVU that much better than Missouri? They can talk all they want to about OU coming out as a differant team for bowl games. But what if the Big 12 teams are just not as good as we think they are. We look fast against weak non-conference foes and Big 12 opponents then we look like were running in glue against our BCS bowl opponents. It's happened too many times to think it's just preparation and coaching or players "want to".

Just strange. Hopefully the string does not continue next season even of we do wind up in Glendale again.

I like the Cincy match up, they are one of those Boise State, WVU type teams that nobody wants play. They will give us a test and if we come out with that 'mystery flatness' we might get beat.

AJ

stoops the eternal pimp
2/9/2008, 08:03 PM
Your argument with Mizzou would make more sense if they hadn't destroyed Arky in their bowl game. Turns out they are a pretty good team.

adoniijahsooner
2/9/2008, 08:08 PM
Your argument with Mizzou would make more sense if they hadn't destroyed Arky in their bowl game. Turns out they are a pretty good team.

Agreed! Mizzou beat the crap out of an sec school that beat the national champions at home. All of the Big 12 bowl teams were competitive except our beloved sooners, so the argument that the big 12 is no good doesnt cut it.

snp
2/9/2008, 08:23 PM
It was Clemson and they backed out in 2004 because they wanted to play weak teams.

Clemson's AD about dropping Oklahoma.
"They’ll slap me around," said Clemson AD Terry Don Phillips, predicting some fans would be upset at the cancellation. "There’s a lot of people who want us to play Oklahoma every weekend, or Michigan or Ohio State. When you play in a great conference like we’re in, you don’t need to play marquee teams every weekend."

I knew you would clarify all of this :)

I don't really mind scheduling a 1AA since everyone else is and scheduling games is a lot harder than some of you realize. Games against TCU, Washington and Cincinnati (who runs a spread offense, of course) will be just fine to get the team ready for conference play.

SoonerKnight
2/12/2008, 02:18 AM
Castiglione never I.D'd them. He would only say that they were a D-1 team.

Can we say that it was lsu that "chickened out" and call les "chicken" miles. Just for fun. ;) WTH it is the off season. I'll start this rumore. :D

SoonerKnight
2/12/2008, 02:21 AM
Is WVU that much better than Missouri? They can talk all they want to about OU coming out as a differant team for bowl games. But what if the Big 12 teams are just not as good as we think they are. We look fast against weak non-conference foes and Big 12 opponents then we look like were running in glue against our BCS bowl opponents. It's happened too many times to think it's just preparation and coaching or players "want to".

Just strange. Hopefully the string does not continue next season even of we do wind up in Glendale again.

I like the Cincy match up, they are one of those Boise State, WVU type teams that nobody wants play. They will give us a test and if we come out with that 'mystery flatness' we might get beat.

AJ

Home Game. We don't get flat on Home games. Stoop's rule. Just wish it carried over a bit.

AverageJoe
2/12/2008, 07:32 PM

Arkansas??????????? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Pretty weak team at the end of the season.

Salt City Sooner
2/12/2008, 09:14 PM
Pre-Cotton Bowl, Arkansas' only loss in their last 6 games came to Tennessee in Knoxville, & last I heard, they also waltzed right into the home of the team that would win the NC (one of the consensus hardest places to play in all of CFB) & hung 50 on them.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/13/2008, 09:51 AM
Arkansas??????????? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Pretty weak team at the end of the season.

Arkansas was a pretty weak team at the end of the season?

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2008, 10:04 AM
...they also waltzed right into the home of the team that would win the NC (one of the consensus hardest places to play in all of CFB) & hung 50 on them.

22 of those 50 came in 3 OT's. Just sayin...

stoops the eternal pimp
2/13/2008, 11:05 AM
22 of those 50 came in 3 OT's. Just sayin...

Way to point that out Les:D

NormanPride
2/13/2008, 01:10 PM
People, we're missing the best part about this. The game will go very quickly so we can all get out of the heat, go back to the tailgate, and drink beer.

MiccoMacey
2/13/2008, 02:03 PM
From a fan's perspective...

I'd be a little upset that I am spending money to go watch our team, clearly one of the better teams in the nation, play against a team that isn't as good (talent-wise) as our third string.

And even if it doesn't hurt our SOS, it hurts our appearance in the national media, and they DO have a large say-so.

And yes, I know the AP doesn't count...only the coaches poll. But since we all know almost all coaches are too concerned with their own schedule during the season to worry about what someone else is doing, the coaches poll gets its info from...the media.

So this hurts us in about every way imaginable.

Plus, one of our mantras against Auburn fans in 2004 was "You shouldn't have played Div 1-AA Citadel". This can easily come back to haunt us.

Youngsooner
2/13/2008, 07:59 PM
yeah in a way it hurts us.. but we also play TCU Washington and Cincy for our OOC games which imo is much better than playing North Texas, Miami, and Utah State which had 9 wins all together between all of them. Even though we are playing a crap *** team like Chatanooga, we also have a tough(er) OOC schedule, but still we shouldve stuck to a D-1A opponent but what can ya do

effay
2/13/2008, 09:27 PM
I thought the only reason we scheduled Chattanooga was because the team we originally scheduled backed out on us. Am I wrong?

Salt City Sooner
2/14/2008, 12:22 AM
I thought the only reason we scheduled Chattanooga was because the team we originally scheduled backed out on us. Am I wrong?
You're correct.

Crucifax Autumn
2/14/2008, 01:44 AM
And even if it doesn't hurt our SOS, it hurts our appearance in the national media, and they DO have a large say-so.

Your point here is more valid than you seem to think. The Harris poll includes many journalists as well as ex players/coaches who get a large aount of their information from the media.

That said, Young Sooner's point is also valid in that it IS true that this year's OOC schedule is a bit tougher than last year even with the Chatanooga choo-choos in the mix.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/15/2008, 12:05 AM
Well everyone that isn't redshirting is sure to play in that game and it beats an open date anytime. It could get pretty bad if we are trying to keep the score from getting into the 80's in the 4th quarter like North Texas.

Crucifax Autumn
2/15/2008, 12:56 AM
Honestly, while I'd love to see a giant score on the good guys' side of the scoreboard, it's more important to me that the bad guys' side has a big fat ZERO at game's end.

ric311
2/15/2008, 05:04 PM
Its what hurt Hawaii this last season and why their AD was fired.
The Hawaii AD was fired for promising June Jones a bigger athletic budget, then not following up, and having June split on him.

Just the same, Hawaii is a close-to-impossible situation for any athletic director. I'm amazed they are still D-1, frankly.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/15/2008, 05:55 PM
The Hawaii AD was fired for promising June Jones a bigger athletic budget, then not following up, and having June split on him.

Just the same, Hawaii is a close-to-impossible situation for any athletic director. I'm amazed they are still D-1, frankly.

That was the big part of it but people were calling before his job before JJ left