PDA

View Full Version : Deep at QB??

PLaw
2/7/2008, 05:17 PM
Fear this texass, we're stacked at QB, again. It took a few years after the whole Rawls, Grady, Bomar debacles. Better yet, I think this group certainly has higher character and integrity than Rawls or Bomar. Yep, I sure like the sounds of Bradford, Nichol, Halzle, and Jones (almost sounds like a law firm) getting their reps starting March 5.

From Landry Jones to SoonerSports.com:

"This is a place where everyone expects to win every game," Jones said. "I'm no different."

Q: What is your favorite food?
A: Chicken fried steak (You might find few cafes with a decent chicken fried steaks in these parts)

Q: What is your favorite drink?
A: Fruit Punch Gatorade (Buy more! Help keep me gainfully employed!)

Q: What is your favorite possession?
A: My Ford F-250 truck (Fast On Race Days, had six of 'em on the Garvin Co. farm)

Q: What is your favorite quote?
A: "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17 (I'm there with you, brother)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yep, he's my type of dude.

BOOMER

Collier11
2/7/2008, 05:19 PM
If bradford leaves after his JR year we are set, if he stays one of these guys will leave unless there is an injury...Thats just the price you pay for getting the best

primetime43
2/7/2008, 05:40 PM
If bradford leaves after his JR year we are set, if he stays one of these guys will leave unless there is an injury...Thats just the price you pay for getting the best

Do you see Bradford playing at the next level? The two best QB's(Heupel/White) in Ou's history didn't play in the NFL and he seems similar to them. I hope I'm wrong!

Collier11
2/7/2008, 05:43 PM
Do you see Bradford playing at the next level? The two best QB's(Heupel/White) in Ou's history didn't play in the NFL and he seems similar to them. I hope I'm wrong!

I personally think that Bradford has a better arm(by nfl standards) than both of those guys. He needs to improve his vision but yea, I think he will!

PLaw
2/7/2008, 05:45 PM

Nate stuck for a couple of years.

BOOMER

Collier11
2/7/2008, 05:50 PM
If SB leaves OU with a 65% completion percentage, 100 Td's, a 3-1 Td-INt ration, and a 75-85% winning percentage which he is on track for all, he will get a shot!

Curly Bill
2/7/2008, 06:29 PM
He has NFL size, NFL accuracy, probably NFL arm, but yeah he has to develop that NFL vision.

...oh yeah: he's gonna turn into a pretty good leader IMO.

The VIIIth
2/7/2008, 07:41 PM

I really think Sam is a 4 year guy, I just don't see him leaving early... not too many QB's exit before their Senior year and I don't perceive Sam being NFL ready until then. The last intangible factor is that Sam is an OU man... always has been and will probably always live in Oklahoma. I think setting some QB marks that may never be broken in Sooner record books and a three year shot at the Heisman will keep Mr. Bradford in the saddle. I think everything he does at OU is as important to him as it is to us fellow Sooners.

KantoSooner
2/7/2008, 07:45 PM
I would love to believe so, and have no reason not to so far. I'm really psyched for next season.
Only 7 more months.

OU-HSV
2/7/2008, 08:51 PM
Yep, I like the depth we currently have at QB...Jones looks to have some great potential and he seems to be very respectful of OU and knows he's gonna have to work hard. Good kid, look forward to seeing what he can do in the Spring.

birddog
2/7/2008, 09:47 PM
i feel kind of bad for nichol. i mean, he looks like a real talent that might not ever get to show what he's got.

personally, i'd head to michigan (his home state). sounds like they'll run a system where he could have success.

adoniijahsooner
2/7/2008, 10:23 PM
i feel kind of bad for nichol. i mean, he looks like a real talent that might not ever get to show what he's got.

personally, i'd head to michigan (his home state). sounds like they'll run a system where he could have success.

He may be waiting to see if pryor signs with them, before he makes his move.

goingoneight
2/7/2008, 10:38 PM
He's not going anywhere... his family, Coach Stoops, Josh Heupel and he all said he loves it there.

Landry Jones is a long-term hopeful. He's the one you have to worry about bailing... and personally I don't think you should worry about that since he's only 18 and hasn't done anything here yet.

Putting up monster numbers in high school means nothing if you can or can't make the cut at OU. You're taking snaps from a better line, handing off and throwing to better talent. Look at Sam Bradford's high school numbers. Obviously the talent and speed of the game is different in college, but weird how Kelly, Iglesias, Murray, Gresham, etc. make you better, ain't it? It's not like KN never has a chance, either... Halzle will be on placeholder duty most likely next year and we all saw how quickly you may need your #2 guy against Texas and Nebraska in 2001, Alabammer in 2002, fall camp 2006 and T Tech 2007.

Murray could easily have just bailed after AP and CB took over for AD last year. But AD leaves and AP struggles with ankle problems and it's a two-horse race on opening day 2007 for him.

KN likes it here, and obviously has this on his mind...

He can beat out Halzle for the #2 spot
There's maybe not a great chance of Sam leaving early, but still a chance
Injury calls you immediately to duty
Natural competition, he may edge Sam one day
If KW is willing to let DM take direct snaps, he's willing to attempt a few running packages in the future.

KantoSooner
2/7/2008, 11:06 PM
I would like to see Nichol in the mix somehow. Pre-camp last year, I really thought he'd be our guy.
Obviously, I was wrong; but it's not a bad thing to recall that I was hardly alone - the guy impressed people who know football better than I. And had the advantage of being able to watch him in practice.

Salt City Sooner
2/8/2008, 01:28 AM
Both were hurt when they tried to hang w/ a pro team. White's knees are well documented, & Heupel had the elbow problem, which he then compounded with an injured wrist when he slammed it against a Bears helmet.

Crucifax Autumn
2/8/2008, 01:37 AM
He has NFL size, NFL accuracy, probably NFL arm, but yeah he has to develop that NFL vision.

...oh yeah: he's gonna turn into a pretty good leader IMO.

Yeah, isn't he a bit taller than the previous greats?

AverageJoe
2/8/2008, 01:43 AM
I just hope Stoops plays the backups this year. If Sam is playing deep into the 3rd qtr of that first game it will be annoying. Padding stats should not matter. Get the backups some real time this year. YA NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU NEED THEM.................................FLASHBACK.

goingoneight
2/8/2008, 01:50 AM
Well, North Texas, Chatanooga and Utah State are no better than playing OUr scout team. In fact, they'd be at a disadvantage in a half-empty stadium playing a team who has their helmets on wrong.

Now being up and in solid control of the game (like Miami last year before the 5th TD pass by Sam), that's when you put a guy in and let him at it.

Part of Joey's problem was that the gameplan was catered to Sam's abilities. Joey does NOT throw well on the run and takes too long on anything that isn't deep downfield. If Kevin Wilson knew 'okay, Sam's out for this one,' he might have had a gameplan to utilize the RBs more. If Sam was healthy, the passing plays were brilliant calls because we had wide open guys running all over the place. We all know Joey can hand a ball off... that's not too hard.

Soonerfan1993
2/8/2008, 07:01 AM
One thing is for sure if OU wants to win a nc they will have to have 2 competent qb's and not 1! They can win a big 12 championship with just 1 but to win the prize unless they are totally lucky with injuries at qb they will need 2 good ones!

We are good at the starting position at qb until 2011 Spring Ball! Keith Nichol/Landry Jones/X RECRUITS will then get there chance to prove who should be the starter!

CincySooner
2/8/2008, 09:04 AM
I just hope Stoops plays the backups this year. If Sam is playing deep into the 3rd qtr of that first game it will be annoying. Padding stats should not matter. Get the backups some real time this year. YA NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU NEED THEM.................................FLASHBACK.

I dunno, I think the coaches went about things the right way as far as leaving Bradford in those early games. Sure, in hindsight you would have wanted to get the backups some experience. However, you have to remember that NONE of OUs QBs had much game experience... so who do you let play? Your backup who needs experience, or your starter who needs experience just as bad.

BIG_IKE
2/8/2008, 09:50 AM
Sam is gonna be here 4 years. Doesn't have the leave early cockiness and arrogance alot of people have. The question is do we have backups patient enough to stick around. QB's REALLY like to transfer if they don't get the right shots they want.

Collier11
2/8/2008, 12:33 PM
Sam is gonna be here 4 years. Doesn't have the leave early cockiness and arrogance alot of people have. The question is do we have backups patient enough to stick around. QB's REALLY like to transfer if they don't get the right shots they want.

Its not necessarily cockiness but if SB is a 3 year starter without any major injuries he will hold every OU passing record and hopefully won a couple more Big 12 titles and a NAtl title, what else would be to play for unless we dont win it all by then?

Animal Mother
2/8/2008, 01:31 PM
He may be waiting to see if pryor signs with them, before he makes his move.

Eggxacklee what I said to my nephew the other night. Today is today and tomorrow hasn't happened yet. Unless you're one of those Zen Lombardi coaches. I can barely remember my college days at OU (No not concussions. It was the 70s) but I remember I was a petulant little phauker and I could change my mind faster than the crosswalk lights change in front of Jordan House. Are they still green, yellow and red? What I’m mumbling is “here today gone tomorrow.” Anyone forget Marcus Dupree?

Breadburner
2/8/2008, 01:42 PM
Eggxacklee what I said to my nephew the other night. Today is today and tomorrow hasn't happened yet. Unless you're one of those Zen Lombardi coaches. I can barely remember my college days at OU (No not concussions. It was the 70s) but I remember I was a petulant little phauker and I could change my mind faster than the crosswalk lights change in front of Jordan House. Are they still green, yellow and red? What I’m mumbling is “here today gone tomorrow.” Anyone forget Marcus Dupree?

That Sir.....Was a thing of beauty......Top Shelf.....

KingBarry
2/8/2008, 08:57 PM
What I'm not getting here is why people do or do not think that Sam Bradford will leave a year early based on his "loyalty" or lack of it; or what "he left to play for."

Look, guys, here's the deal. If he sees significant improvement in the next two seasons, and the NFL comes calling, he'll face one and only one decision:

1. Improve my NFL career by getting another year of experience in college.

or

2. Improve my NFL career by getting an extra year of NFL experience, AND earning millions of dollars.

I just can't see how that other stuff comes much into play, unless he's a marginal pro-prospect -- which probably means he should stay anyway.

MojoRisen
2/8/2008, 09:46 PM
I think that Nichol should have a fair shake at beating Bradford out for the starting nod - I love SB but I did notice that he didn't get around in the pocket that well against WVU - having a really mobil QB who can throw on the run can cause more havic than the pro style Pocket passer - Not saying this is going to happen next year - but I think we either need to play Nichol often as the number 2 or he definitely needs to redshirt a year strictly for the one year if Bradford sticks around - and Landry Jones needs to redshirt as well at least one year if not this year - then next for the same reason.

PLaw
2/9/2008, 10:11 AM
I think that Nichol should have a fair shake at beating Bradford out for the starting nod - I love SB but I did notice that he didn't get around in the pocket that well against WVU - having a really mobil QB who can throw on the run can cause more havic than the pro style Pocket passer -

With our O-line play in Glendale, no QB would have stood a chance. Loadholt was either totally outclassed or had the worst game of his life. The WVU DE owned him, period.

BOOMER

MojoRisen
2/9/2008, 10:28 AM
You may be right about that, and if it isn't broken don't fix it. I do think that Nichol could as well be a hiesman contender with our typical oline play and his ability to scramble. I think SB has the speed and athleticism but I would like to see him be more comfortable scrambling as he seems indecisive when he has to and that can get you hurt. Also tackling Line Backers probably shouldn't be in the play book.

OU-HSV
2/9/2008, 11:07 AM
I've never been a fan of using a QB rotation. And I'm still not a fan of that knowing how great SB is. HOWEVER, I think it would be cool to have a few plays that are designed for Nichol. Some bootlegs and options and what not. And put him in for maybe 5 plays per game. You know...not so much a rotation, but just something to keep the defenses a little mixed up. But by no means would I want to see that if it takes anything away from SB's affectiveness. And if he's not going to be the #2 QB this season, I think he should get redshirted. And maybe let Landry stay active this season then redshirt Landry for the '09 season.

OUmillenium
2/9/2008, 11:29 AM
yes

adoniijahsooner
2/9/2008, 08:35 PM
Drop back flat footed pro style quarterbacks can be shut down by a good defense with time to prepare. It is difficult to stop an offense when the quarterback can either hand it off, keep it, or fake it and pass the rock down field. Keith Nichol may know something that we dont know. I love Sb as much as anybody else, but when I have flash backs of the Colorado, Iowa st, and WVU game, I cant help to wonder what would happen if we had somone in who could create something on their own. A Mobile Qb slows down the rush, it keeps the dbs looking into the backfield on pass plays, and gives an offense more versatility. It took the Giants three games to stop Romo, and dallas still should have won if crayton doesnt nut up; but it only took 2 to bash brady's chest in play after play. I still love sammy though.

JLEW1818
2/9/2008, 09:17 PM
Bradford= NFL style QB.

PLaw
2/9/2008, 11:15 PM
Drop back flat footed pro style quarterbacks can be shut down by a good defense with time to prepare. . . It took the Giants three games to stop Romo, and dallas still should have won if crayton doesnt nut up; but it only took 2 to bash brady's chest in play after play. I still love sammy though.

Not sure what to think about this comment, great D-line play cures alot of ails.

BOOMER

arcman46
2/10/2008, 06:47 PM

The only reason White didn't make it in the NFL was because he had blown both knees. I think with two healthy knees, he would have been starting on Sundays.

OU_Sooners75
2/10/2008, 07:46 PM
Better question...

Who starts next year at LT? Good or Loadholt?

You would think Loadholt, but lets face it. I was not impressed with Loadholt at all last season, except for his size. False starts, holding almost every play. If Good is as good as advertised, then it should be a good competition. If Loadholt gets the nod, then great. If not, that would not bother me either.

Lets just hope that all starting positions are truly up for grabs before every season starts.

Edit: We need someone that we know will have the size, speed, and ability to protect any one of OUr starting QBs.

JLEW1818
2/10/2008, 08:47 PM
I think that Nichol should have a fair shake at beating Bradford out for the starting nod - I love SB but I did notice that he didn't get around in the pocket that well against WVU - having a really mobil QB who can throw on the run can cause more havic than the pro style Pocket passer - Not saying this is going to happen next year - but I think we either need to play Nichol often as the number 2 or he definitely needs to redshirt a year strictly for the one year if Bradford sticks around - and Landry Jones needs to redshirt as well at least one year if not this year - then next for the same reason.

Bob Stoops is not even CONSIDERING switching at QB. Lets bench the best QB rating in the nation right? Even if Sam has a HORRIBLE spring, he still will start. Shoot SB could have made more tackles then some of are defenders against WV. Yes Landry needs a RS, its just really surprising to see how Stoops can recruit so well, bringing in a big QB prospect to Norman, considering we had the best one last year, who is now a sophomore.

Echoes
2/10/2008, 08:59 PM
NFL vision? He led the nation in passing efficiency guys... how much more can you prove at this level as far as vision goes?

OU-HSV
2/10/2008, 09:10 PM
NFL vision? He led the nation in passing efficiency guys... how much more can you prove at this level as far as vision goes?
That's kinda what I was thinking.
I go back to what I said. The only reason/way to even consider using another QB is to install a Keith Nichol package that uses his mobility, but I wouldn't want to see SB benched more than 5 plays a game if that kind of thing was installed.

OU_Sooners75
2/10/2008, 09:24 PM
I would not mind seeing Bradford benched if and only if the guy they replace him with is just as productive as SB was last year. I would hope that the competition is still open and that the coaching staff will allow the best player to start. Not just the incumbent.

Collier11
2/10/2008, 09:26 PM

and even with that he had some games in which he struggled with his reads and throwing the ball on the road...thats what is so exciting, he had a few struggles and was still so damn good

OU-HSV
2/10/2008, 09:29 PM
and even with that he had some games in which he struggled with his reads and throwing the ball on the road...thats what is so exciting, he had a few struggles and was still so damn good
Exactly...still so damn good and so damn accurate. I've said it before, there were several times this year that SB had to really...really..really thread that ball in a tight area...even into crowds of 3 or more. And he did it very well. There's no doubt in my mind that he's our starter for as many years as he stays at the college level. But the depth we have is incredible and important.

JLEW1818
2/10/2008, 09:36 PM
Not having SB start would be like telling Jason White that he was not going to start the extra year he was granted. It's not even a question who the QB is. I think the real question should be how many All Americans we could have this year. SAM, DM, DUKE, HARRIS. AHHHHHHH oh and that number 18 guy.. hehe.

OU_Sooners75
2/10/2008, 11:58 PM
Not having SB start would be like telling Jason White that he was not going to start the extra year he was granted. It's not even a question who the QB is. I think the real question should be how many All Americans we could have this year. SAM, DM, DUKE, HARRIS. AHHHHHHH oh and that number 18 guy.. hehe.

If he slouches and does not work for the starting job, what good is it to have him starting? Is it just because he is the incumbent? That really does not set well with me if that is the way the coaching staff is looking at it.

Does SB deserve to start? He shown us he was a very good choice last year. But I would at least keep the competition open. If there is an even race, SB gets it. If someone shows to be better than SB in the practices, they get it.

Desert Sapper
2/11/2008, 12:05 AM
It sounds like the coaches have declared open season on all starting spots. I can't imagine Sam not earning the nod, but the competition across the board should bring out the best in everybody. Why didn't we do this every other year?

KantoSooner
2/11/2008, 12:15 AM
Sam was a freshman this past season, folks. A redshirt freshman, but a noob, nonetheless. Indecisive on when to tuck and run? when to scramble out and buy an extra 3 seconds for someone to break free? Undoubtedly. Yup. No question.
You reckon he's going to improve with a year's experience?
I think so. Hell, he's probably just barely finished growing.
Personally, I think it's quite possible that his freshman year will turn out to look like crud vs. his sophmore, junior and senior campaigns.
Barring a surprise, I expect to be watching him on Sundays in 2011.

Oh, and for the record, I thought KN should have been our starter in September. But now, I'm a believer.

goingoneight
2/11/2008, 12:43 AM
If he slouches and does not work for the starting job, what good is it to have him starting? Is it just because he is the incumbent? That really does not set well with me if that is the way the coaching staff is looking at it.

Does SB deserve to start? He shown us he was a very good choice last year. But I would at least keep the competition open. If there is an even race, SB gets it. If someone shows to be better than SB in the practices, they get it.

He didn't just lead OU's QB's in passing efficiency... he led the NATION is passing efficiency. He loves OU, is a great kid and an extremely hard worker, both smart and athletic as well. There are over 100 teams out there who would LOVE to lead the nation in passing efficiency and get to a CCG and BCS game. The team as a whole has defensive holes to fill and needs to work on their week-to-week preparation. It seems if we are any bit off OUr game, anyone can play with us or beat us. Look at how Mizzou handled both Colorado and Texas Tech... you'd think they would have owned us. Instead, we were lightyears better than them on their best year in school history.

The job is Sam's. The competition... yeah... will be open as always, but the time under his belt now, the poise and accuracy he has... someone's really going to have to be a Heisman to just walk into two-a-days and just challenge him. I do feel better coming into this year about the QB situation if Sam were to get hurt because we have KN now a year into it all and Halzle who was at worst a 55% passer.

I am more concerned about the linebackers, DBs and what well do without Malcom Kelly. You could take AD out of the picture and we seemed to do well, but it seems like every game Malcom was shut out or injured in, we struggled mightily. Taking an offense's #1 target away does affect it. See Dallas without T.O. But again, overall we're still capable there, and are actually using OUr tight ends now.

goingoneight
2/11/2008, 12:44 AM
Sam was a freshman this past season, folks. A redshirt freshman, but a noob, nonetheless. Indecisive on when to tuck and run? when to scramble out and buy an extra 3 seconds for someone to break free? Undoubtedly. Yup. No question.
You reckon he's going to improve with a year's experience?
I think so. Hell, he's probably just barely finished growing.
Personally, I think it's quite possible that his freshman year will turn out to look like crud vs. his sophmore, junior and senior campaigns.
Barring a surprise, I expect to be watching him on Sundays in 2011.

Oh, and for the record, I thought KN should have been our starter in September. But now, I'm a believer.

Just look at how skinny he was starting the UNT game and the guns he had at the BIG 12 CCG. He's definitely filled out. Props again to Schmiddy.

Collier11
2/11/2008, 01:53 AM
Does SB deserve to start?

Are you serious?? Sam is the OU qb, period! It would be different if the guy was a prima donna like Romar

JLEW1818
2/11/2008, 12:24 PM
Think we got some KN family members in here. lol. He will be a great back up QB this year. Never know when we will need him.

OU-HSV
2/11/2008, 08:09 PM
He didn't just lead OU's QB's in passing efficiency... he led the NATION is passing efficiency. He loves OU, is a great kid and an extremely hard worker, both smart and athletic as well. There are over 100 teams out there who would LOVE to lead the nation in passing efficiency and get to a CCG and BCS game. The team as a whole has defensive holes to fill and needs to work on their week-to-week preparation. It seems if we are any bit off OUr game, anyone can play with us or beat us. Look at how Mizzou handled both Colorado and Texas Tech... you'd think they would have owned us. Instead, we were lightyears better than them on their best year in school history.

The job is Sam's. The competition... yeah... will be open as always, but the time under his belt now, the poise and accuracy he has... someone's really going to have to be a Heisman to just walk into two-a-days and just challenge him. I do feel better coming into this year about the QB situation if Sam were to get hurt because we have KN now a year into it all and Halzle who was at worst a 55% passer.

I am more concerned about the linebackers, DBs and what well do without Malcom Kelly. You could take AD out of the picture and we seemed to do well, but it seems like every game Malcom was shut out or injured in, we struggled mightily. Taking an offense's #1 target away does affect it. See Dallas without T.O. But again, overall we're still capable there, and are actually using OUr tight ends now.
Very nicely said

soonersn20xx
2/12/2008, 12:13 AM
SB's play was spectacular and had an outstanding year but I didn't see him reading defenses or looking off DBs..........I believe his audibles were being made from the sideline to. Like someone already has said, I wish he had tucked and run a few more times this year as well.

I believe Nichol does possess a greater run threat and escapability, assuming he can use this off-season to improve, he should compete for the job. I wouldn't want SB to remain the starter just b/c he was last year, surely Bob will grade them based on this year's practice performances.

Collier11
2/12/2008, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't want SB to remain the starter just b/c he was last year, surely Bob will grade them based on this year's practice performances.

Then you didnt watch 1 down of OU Football last year...I agree with your assesment of SB but if you dont believe he is the OU qb based on his performance last year then I dont know what you are thinking. If he regresses then so be it but we have to get there first

Youngsooner
2/12/2008, 10:06 AM
Whats with all the turning on Sam Bradford now? He was a redshirt FRESHMAN and had a tremendous season and people think he shouldnt have the nod? I agree if in our opening game against chatanooga Sam Bradford throws 5-10 interceptions that are blatantly his fault maybe the staff should reassess their options, but if you watched OU football last year and saw Sam Bradford play, asking if he deserves to start is a dumb question. Setting the record for freshman touchdowns and leading the nation in passing efficiency makes people think we need a new quarterback?

Collier11
2/12/2008, 12:20 PM
Whats with all the turning on Sam Bradford now? He was a redshirt FRESHMAN and had a tremendous season and people think he shouldnt have the nod? I agree if in our opening game against chatanooga Sam Bradford throws 5-10 interceptions that are blatantly his fault maybe the staff should reassess their options, but if you watched OU football last year and saw Sam Bradford play, asking if he deserves to start is a dumb question. Setting the record for freshman touchdowns and leading the nation in passing efficiency makes people think we need a new quarterback?

Every school has these fans, the backup is always the fan fav...I for one find it rediculous in the situation. If SB hasnt earned the QB nod barring him regressing to the point that he cant throw a 5 yd out then I dont know what else he could do???

Breadburner
2/12/2008, 12:23 PM
He threw it out of bounds once.......That's enough for some of the numpty's at the games.....

Collier11
2/12/2008, 12:33 PM
He threw it out of bounds once.......That's enough for some of the numpty's at the games.....

Trust me, I sat in the student section for 4 years and heard people b*tching about Jason White, PT, etc...you have to remember that alot of sports fans(id say 20-30%) know nothing about football past the basic rules. Thats fine, anyone that Loves OU is fine with me but you take the good with the bad I suppose