PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting services are stupid

Widescreen
2/7/2008, 10:34 AM
Why they continue to use this "points" system to determine their rankings is ridiculous. You can load up and sign 30 2-star guys and be declared a top 10 recruiting class.

I just looked at Scout's recruiting rankings and we show as #13 with Bama at #1. However, if you sort the list by Average Rating, we're #4 and they're #9. Don't get me wrong, the Tide pulled in an excellent class. I'm just saying the way the services order their recruiting rankings is dumb.

Mixer!
2/7/2008, 10:52 AM
Recruiting class rankings are like Miss America pageants: completely subjective.

RacerX
2/7/2008, 11:12 AM
Recruiting class rankings are like Miss America pageants: completely subjective.
You can't be objective about them until 5 years later.

Recruiting classes that is.

I'm pretty sure that none of the Miss Americas have taught people to read or worked on world hunger or achieved world peace.

Theskipster
2/7/2008, 11:23 AM
The quantity of recruits is important for depth. Quality is more important. And that is shown by the rankings. That is why VT with 31 recruits made up of mostly 3 stars is ranked way under Oklahoma that has only 2/3rds the recruits but mostly 4 stars with a few 5 stars and some 3 stars.

Really the recruiting services aren't as stupid as they used to be. Actually scratch that. ESPN is still horrible. The rankings actually mean something now.

Ash
2/7/2008, 11:24 AM

I'm pretty sure that none of the Miss Americas have taught people to read or worked on world hunger or achieved world peace.

What about sending maps to the Iraq or U.S. Americans?

freshchris05
2/7/2008, 12:28 PM
http://www.expatriette.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/miss-south-carolina-2007-teen-pageant.jpg

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/7/2008, 12:36 PM
question: what was our recruiting class in 2003 ranked (the one with pleasant, cade, etc)

Theskipster
2/7/2008, 01:00 PM
question: what was our recruiting class in 2003 ranked (the one with pleasant, cade, etc)

#4 in the country

0 - 5s
16 - 4s
6 - 3s
2 - 2s (which mean unranked)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/7/2008, 01:35 PM
how about the reggie smith class?

OklahomaTuba
2/7/2008, 01:47 PM
better yet, what about the class with Josh Heupel??

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/7/2008, 02:02 PM
that class was 19

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/7/2008, 03:22 PM

I'm pretty sure that none of the Miss Americas have taught people to read or worked on world hunger or achieved world peace.I know one that achieved world piece.

toast
2/7/2008, 03:47 PM
how about the reggie smith class?

I would guess top 5'ish with Reggie, Granger, Malcolm and Reynolds in it. But of course it also had B.Keith, Barresi, etc. as well.

Which brings up another question, how many years does it take to accurately reflect on a recruiting class? The easy answer is 5 because all of the eligibility will be used up (except for those with medical hardships ala Jason and John Williams). But I would say at least 3 years. There are some guys in the Reggie class that haven't showed much yet that may need to in '08 - L. Robinson, K. Clayton, B. Jackson.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/7/2008, 04:12 PM
topdawg? is that you?

tulsaoilerfan
2/7/2008, 04:51 PM
How can a team like VT sign 31 players?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/7/2008, 05:08 PM
How can a team like VT sign 31 players?Lotsa guys gradumate highschool who are math and science types.

snp
2/9/2008, 09:55 PM
How can a team like VT sign 31 players?

Early enroll, grey shirt, and have a few kids not qualify. VT's staff often takes grade risks and will place them in the military academies in the region if they don't qualify.

oudivesherpa
2/10/2008, 05:39 PM
Has anyone done a corrleation anaylsis on computer ranking and how the team performed four or five years latter? For example, the last seven years of average computer rankings and last six years of average BCS rankings. Is the difference between rakings and BCS rankings due to the quality of coaching?

Mac Brown is called Mr. February in Texas, becuase he usually winds up with a top five class and a BCS ranking of ninth or tenth.

Theskipster
2/11/2008, 08:35 AM
Has anyone done a corrleation anaylsis on computer ranking and how the team performed four or five years latter? For example, the last seven years of average computer rankings and last six years of average BCS rankings. Is the difference between rakings and BCS rankings due to the quality of coaching?

Statistic loving Sunday Morning Quarterback has been looking at this.

http://www.sundaymorningqb.com/story/2008/1/21/1614/43228

The conclusion is that the recruiting services aren't perfect, but they are a decent baseline for expectations.

They also looked at how well they ranked the top players by looking at 2004

http://sundaymorningqb.com/story/2008/2/5/182213/3837

rainiersooner
2/11/2008, 12:32 PM

Actually, they're just like college football's method for ranking teams during the season: completely subjective.

The biggest problem with ranking recruiting classes is that it feeds straight into pre-season polls.