PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the fans?

Texas
2/7/2008, 01:24 AM
LNC seemed pretty empty on TV. Game at the FEC has been sold out for a while. What's up these days?

SoonerSinger3
2/7/2008, 03:58 AM
I went to my first OU basketball game tonight thinking LNC was going to be packed and it was far from it. Pitiful. We have no home court advantage whatsoever. Only time our fans get loud is when we're doing really well, otherwise they just sit on their hands. Even in football our fans aren't the loudest and wildest bunch. OU fans need to step it up

Ash
2/7/2008, 07:46 AM
LNC seemed pretty empty on TV. Game at the FEC has been sold out for a while. What's up these days?

Don't know what's going on, I'm sure there are plenty of excuses but one thing is for sure: Capel's going to have a tough time getting more guys like Warren to come play in front of empty seats.

OUSKINS
2/7/2008, 07:50 AM
Tonight was pathetic. Proving to be soley a football school. Honestly, if I'm Capel, I'd be willing to jump at the very first offer that comes my way-- even if it's a lateral move. And I agree with Ash--- if I were Capel I wouldn't even WANT to bring recruits to the games. I was there, as always, and tonight was a total embarrasment.

Ton Loc
2/7/2008, 08:15 AM
The Big 12 scheduling the game at 6:00 isn't helping anyone either. I don't even get off work until 6. And lets not forget the fact that we don't have one home game on the weekend this month. I guarantee if that game was on Saturday instead of Wednesday at 6 it would have been packed.

As far as recruits go, Kelvin seemed to be recruiting well enough for us to win. Of course he had to do a little extra work to get them here.

You think Jeff didn't know that the crowds sucked coming in or do you think he showed up to the first game and was totally surprised the game wasn't sold out?

OUSKINS
2/7/2008, 08:27 AM
The Big 12 scheduling the game at 6:00 isn't helping anyone either. I don't even get off work until 6. And lets not forget the fact that we don't have one home game on the weekend this month. I guarantee if that game was on Saturday instead of Wednesday at 6 it would have been packed.

As far as recruits go, Kelvin seemed to be recruiting well enough for us to win. Of course he had to do a little extra work to get them here.

You think Jeff didn't know that the crowds sucked coming in or do you think he showed up to the first game and was totally surprised the game wasn't sold out?

Oh, there's no doubt that ANY coach would JUMP at the chance to go from VCU to OU, even if no one ever showed up at the games. Do I think Capel was stunned at the crowds? No. Do I think he's probably a little diasappointed that the fans haven't really come out to support THIS particular team, given we've been competitve? Yeah, probably a little.

What I'm saying is that the lack of support may influence his decision whether or not to stay when the time comes-- and believe me, it will.

Now, having said that-- WHEN that time comes, it will mean Capel has started to do some serious winning, and perhaps by then, the fans will have taken notice, but I have my doubts.

And I hear you about the early start time. I understand that different circumstances dictate certain things for fans-- I understand all of those factors. But there were ENTIRE sections of almost empty seats last night. I sit in Sec. N5 and so far this year, I have had ONE person sit next to me at a game (OSU game).

Boomer.....
2/7/2008, 08:30 AM
The past few games, not including this one, seemed pretty full and very loud at times. I think the 6pm start hurt affected the crowd, but that's no excuse when playing texass.

kc sooner
2/7/2008, 09:53 AM
I wish I lived down there so I could go to the games, it does suck to see so many empty seats on T.V. I usually go down there for 1 or 2 games a year, but I can't make one this year, but I'll be able to see them play at the Big XII tourney here in KC, so hopefully they can play well up here. BOOMER!!

sooner518
2/7/2008, 10:59 AM
i did see lots of empty seats up high, which indicates low interest. I also noticed alot of empty courtside seats, which are the donor seats. I guess I cant say anything about that situation that hasnt already been said, but its very irritating.

NormanPride
2/7/2008, 10:59 AM
I wish Tulsa was closer to Norman. As it is, I feel bad about not driving the two hours to see the game, but we just don't have that kind of time. :(

SOONER STEAKER
2/7/2008, 06:23 PM
Not that this is an excuse: the game was at 6:00 and it's hard to get from OKC to Norman during that time of the day.

OU needs to get the students in the stands. Get the marketing dept invloved and find ways to get sttudents in the stands.

illinisooner
2/7/2008, 10:52 PM
Easiest way to get students to the games: Free tickets.

stoopified
2/7/2008, 10:59 PM
Easiest way to get students to the games: Free tickets.Wrong,....the correct answer is free beer ... and tickets.

Ash
2/7/2008, 11:06 PM
Wrong,....the correct answer is free beer, free food... and tickets.

Fixed up.:texan:

OUstud
2/7/2008, 11:53 PM
Regardless of start time, the fact that there were many empty seats for a nationally televised game against a top-15 opponent, let alone Texas, indicates something needs to be done about tickets. I mean a. put the students in one part of the arena, not 4 different parts, and make their tickets cheaper b. fix or do away with the whole football-basketball ticket point system, and c. promote more. As mentioned above, there were entire sections with less than 20 people. Pathetic.

GrapevineSooner
2/8/2008, 05:58 PM
I remember during Ryan Minor's freshman season (which I'm guessing was in 1993-94), my brother and I bought standing room only tix for an early season home game against Umass. Granted, it was a Saturday night game, but by tip off, the best two seats together were on the very last row of one of the upper sections.

My how times have changed.

MextheBulldog
2/11/2008, 06:49 PM
TV makes it too easy to not go.

GottaHavePride
2/11/2008, 08:13 PM
Free student tickets.

OKC/Norman/Tulsa TV blackout.

Any tickets not scanned at the gate by 5 minutes after tipoff are automatically re-opened and given away for free to students.

You got a sign to hold up? Bring it.

You want to strip down to your boxers and paint yourself red from head to toe? We got a courtside spot for you next to the pom girls.

Beer? Enjoy the 50% markup. Security WILL throw your *** out if you're hassling the pom girls. The other team is fair game.

Sooner4FCD
2/11/2008, 08:42 PM
Free student tickets.

Bingo. I can't say this enough. I'm just as rowdy as any other student when I go to games, but $20? You gotta be joking, there's no way the basketball should cost as much as the football. $5 max or just make the games free for students. They'll remake the money back with the energy the students bring because it will bring more fans to the LNC.

SleestakSooner
2/11/2008, 09:25 PM
How many billions of $ does OU hold in their coffers? I agree with GHP on this one.

If the games are not sold out, don't air them at all locally.

If the season tickets are being forced on donors that don't want them and won't use them, get rid of the donor program.

If those tickets don't end up being used, let others in for free to fill the seats!!!!!! The seats are already paid for so who really cares?

Also get rid of the myriad of corporate sponsors and their idiotic contests and distractions from the actual game. I am not there to see some china girl spin plates from her perch on a 30-foot tall unicycle!

2/11/2008, 11:00 PM
Discounted student tickets and lots more on-campus marketing to get the kids out. Also, schedule two-fers when possible... either with the women, another sport or event. Even corporate deals directed to the kids. "Bring your stub and get half off a Monster at Freebirds."

badger
2/12/2008, 12:20 PM
MAKE THESE STUDENT TICKETS FREE!!!

Seriously, somebody needs to go to a game and hold up a sign that says that. The ad may listen, because they will be one of five students at the game.

Sooner4FCD
2/12/2008, 03:45 PM
Again, Iowa State at home tomorrow. $10? F that.

2/12/2008, 04:39 PM
Students should be able to cough up $5. Making them free is as bad as leaving them empty IMO. Students will have no "ownership" in the program and it will be just something to kill time.

badger
2/12/2008, 06:07 PM
Students should be able to cough up $5. Making them free is as bad as leaving them empty IMO. Students will have no "ownership" in the program and it will be just something to kill time.
Tell that to all the students who get rowdy at women's games with their homemade signs and participating in the cheers and such.

You get students there to "kill time" once, they have fun, they'll come back for more. At least make a few games free to get more students interested... AND NOT JUST BECAUSE OF WEATHER!

OUstud
2/12/2008, 06:12 PM
I think student tickets should be free for the no-names (Coppin State, etc.), $5 for most Big XII teams/mid-major opponents, and $10 for Aggy, UT, KU, and any big name non-conference opponent.

NormanPride
2/12/2008, 07:12 PM
Don't black out Tulsa... :( It's too hard to make weekday 6PM games.

2/13/2008, 01:21 AM
Students need to realize that these athletic events aren't free to the athletic department. Wonder why ticket prices are so high? It is largely because football is covering the other sports' budgets. The more people show up for an event, the more expense. These funds are covering all of the sporting events nobody but parents show up for too. (Wrastlin, gym, swim, etc.)

Again, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, a discounted student ticket and marketing buzz is the answer to filling the seats at Noble.

Texas
2/13/2008, 04:45 AM
Students have to pay for each game they want to go to? That's just a lame deal.

Here at UT, you pay $70 for the whole year and it grants you admission into every home athletic event.

NormanPride
2/13/2008, 10:07 AM
Are they really $20? For students? What the hell, Joe C?

2/13/2008, 11:23 AM
$295 at A&M. And that is not a bad deal for the student who is a sports fan wanting to attend all football, basketball and baseball games. $70? I'm calling captain BS.

OUstud
2/13/2008, 04:43 PM
When there isn't an empty seat in the house for OU-A&M women's basketball on a Tuesday night, yet there's numerous empty seats for Bed Lamb/Texas for men's basketball, something's not right. I know the women are really good, but there's got to be a way to equal that attendance for men's basketball.

Texas
2/13/2008, 06:14 PM
http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&change_well_id=2&url_article_id=1265

How much is it?
If purchased in the fall, the cost of the LASP is only $70 for the regular school year. In January, the cost is $35 and covers only the spring semester.

skycat
2/13/2008, 06:19 PM
No school in the history of the world makes it harder to use your student tickets than ut though. So it all evens out.

Texas
2/13/2008, 06:55 PM
Not that hard.

For football, you line up for the draw, present your ID and get a physical ticket. On the day of the game, take the ticket + ID to the game and you're in. (For $70 extra, you can avoid having to line up for the draw at all and print all the tickets at home before the season starts. Same seats throughout the whole season).

For basketball, you can print the tickets at home a week prior to the game or so. Take ticket + ID to the arena and you're in.

For any other sport, just present the ID (of course, they validate it) at the ticket office prior to the event and they'll give you a ticket.

Not very complicated at all and quite a bargain for $70/yr.

OUstud
2/17/2008, 12:49 AM
Alright, we won at Tceh, we're back to .500 in conference, there better be over 10k vs. Baylor...