PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Obama's Oklahoma election team was weak...

Soonerus
2/6/2008, 11:58 PM
...or do Oklahoman's just dislike obama?

KaiserSooner
2/7/2008, 12:09 AM
I think a majority of Oklahoma Democratic primary voters are rural and relatively conservative, and therefore more willing to vote for a familiar, less threatening, white face "from" a neighboring state rather than a liberal black man.

Just my two cents

sooner_born_1960
2/7/2008, 12:10 AM
Prolly just the lesser of two liberals.

KaiserSooner
2/7/2008, 12:11 AM
On top of that, the liberals I know (regardless of sex, race, orientation, etc.) were very evenly split between Clinton and Obama.

Soonerus
2/7/2008, 12:21 AM
Obama never came to Oklahoma or spent money on ads, he gave up Oklahoma, IMO...

KaiserSooner
2/7/2008, 12:33 AM
Yes he did come to Oklahoma. But not immediately before Super Tuesday. It was in the summer, I think.

With something like 24 states up for grabs, he had better places to spend his resources the past week than a state that has only 38 delegates (out of what, 4,000?).

SicEmBaylor
2/7/2008, 01:04 AM
It is weak, but that's now why he lost.

Obama haven't really relied on an extensive ground organization to GOTV. He's really been turning out his voters by enthusiasm not boots on the ground.

So, yes his organization is probably weak in the state but no that isn't why he didn't win.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/7/2008, 07:39 AM
Some insiders told me that they had some GOTV ideas for the Oklahoma campaign that were shot down. I don't know that it would have made that big of a difference though. In some cases I think there were people who voted for "the woman instead of the black man."

JohnnyMack
2/7/2008, 10:41 AM
...or are Oklahoman's just scared to death at the prospect of a black man running the show?

Fixed.

Hamhock
2/7/2008, 11:26 AM
hey rus...any chance you were at the basketball game last night?

Scott D
2/7/2008, 11:29 AM

Obama's biggest fault in Oklahoma is that his last name isn't Selmon.

NormanPride
2/7/2008, 11:33 AM
badger and I have noticed a trend here. In places where Obama has spent more time getting to know the people and get his message out, he's done much better. However if people are going just on what they see on TV, then they tend to vote for Clinton by default. Has anyone else noticed this?

r5TPsooner
2/7/2008, 11:34 AM

I think that race was a huge factor.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/7/2008, 11:56 AM
Yes he did come to Oklahoma. But not immediately before Super Tuesday. It was in the summer, I think.

With something like 24 states up for grabs, he had better places to spend his resources the past week than a state that has only 38 delegates (out of what, 4,000?).Wayne Coyne loves Obama.

Hatfield
2/7/2008, 11:57 AM
I am excited to see that he has a real shot at winning the next 9 states before clinton can pick up ohio and texas.