PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Hart comes clean...

Shneeg11
2/6/2008, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure how to paste the story correctly, so here is the link...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=3234302

Shameful

Curly Bill
2/6/2008, 10:17 PM
I'm of the opinion, as very much an outside observer, that this was something he made up to at first get attention and be a big shot, and then it got out of control and he had to keep perpetuating it.

...or he's just a big idiot and thought it would be a fun little joke.

Shneeg11
2/6/2008, 10:21 PM
I'm of the opinion, as very much an outside observer, that this was something he made up to at first get attention and be a big shot, and then it got out of control and he had to keep perpetuating it.

...or he's just a big idiot and thought it would be a fun little joke.

I definitely agree that it just got out of control

aero
2/6/2008, 11:16 PM
Really sad. This recruiting stuff is ridiculous. But this kid went a little too far. Either not very smart or has some issues. Even picked hats between Cal and Oregon at a school assembly. Wow. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/02/06/ST2008020600092.html

adoniijahsooner
2/6/2008, 11:23 PM
I dont see how the coaches didnt call him on this, considering that they are normally contacted by the recruiters as well?

goingoneight
2/6/2008, 11:26 PM
He should have said "Oklahoma State." Then, nobody would have cared and said "oh, that's cool, I guess..." :D

boomersooner28
2/7/2008, 09:44 AM
He should have said "Oklahoma State." Then, nobody would have cared and said "oh, that's cool, I guess..." :D

[larry the cable guy] Now that right there is funny...I don't dare who ya are [/larry the cable guy]

2/7/2008, 10:13 AM
I wonder if he was fishing for offers from other schools.

SOONER STEAKER
2/7/2008, 10:20 AM
He should have said "Oklahoma State." Then, nobody would have cared and said "oh, that's cool, I guess..."

OSU is always looking for law-abiding student athletes to make up for the ones they have on campus who are not law-abiding student athletes.

does student athletes need the / between the two words to make sense like..... student/athlete or is student athletes OK?

badger
2/7/2008, 12:21 PM
So I just got done reading some of the comments on this story at ESPN.com

APPARENTLY/ALLEGEDLY, a teacher at his school said that during the award ceremony last year, they announced that this Hart kid was offered a full scholarship to BGSU (yes, the Bowling Green that is actually orange). The teacher said after the announcement, he told one of his friends, a BGSU alum, who had another friend that was a BGSU assistant. So, as it turns out, the assistant never heard of him, either. Hehe.

It doesn't really matter if that story is true or not, because I'm sure at this point, we're all going to be making up our own stories of our alleged recruitment to the top programs in the country and how at in a drunken haze, we gave up our college eligibility to the NBA draft.

What we could instead tell are stories of our own where high school athletes believed they were greater than they were, then got reality shoved in their face. Here, I'll go first:

This new girl on the cross country team was the team's best runner and it was our senior year. I knew in the back of my head that she was no where near good enough to go to state, based on past runners on our team that had gone, but I didn't have the heart to tell her (especially since I was not exactly a good runner myself). How would that sound? "I know I suck at running, but I know that you're not good enough for state." Huh?

Anyway, the sectional race, which the top 7 runners qualify for state rolls around. She finishes 30th and was in tears after the race, because, after all, she expected to go to state here. But, we all got pixy stix afterward and she got over it soon afterward.

My guess is Hart had this kind of moment himself at some point during his junior/senior years. He was waiting for recruiting letters and calls that never came, after believing for years growing up in Nowhere, Nevada that he was a great athlete. I mean, when you're playing along bad talent and you're the best, you might get an inflated ego.

So, that moment comes, when he takes 30th at the state qualifying race when he needed to be 7th or better. He's a good runner, but just not good enough for the next level. Instead of getting pixy stix with his teammates, he hosts a news conference in front of the entire school and local media:

"I'm happy to announce that after reviewing race tape, officials found a discrepancy in the race times and have declared me a state qualifier."

It's one thing to be a delusional athlete. You eventually get a slap of reality at some point in your athletic career. It's an entirely different thing to keep living that delusion. My teammate accepted reality (and pixy stix). Hart didn't.

OUMedMan
2/7/2008, 01:46 PM
The thing that was a little confusing to me is that California did state that they had him on their "watch" list -- for the incoming class of 2009.

Which would mean he's not a senior, but a junior this year -- and wouldn't be in a position to be signing a letter of intent anyway.

And it also means he would have another year of high school football -- and another year for schools to give him a look over.

Such a stunt couldn't possibly help him (if he is a junior) over the course of the next year.

KC//CRIMSON
2/7/2008, 01:52 PM
Welcome to JUCO!

Outopia
2/7/2008, 04:44 PM
He should have said "Oklahoma State." Then, nobody would have cared and said "oh, that's cool, I guess..."

OSU is always looking for law-abiding student athletes to make up for the ones they have on campus who are not law-abiding student athletes.

does student athletes need the / between the two words to make sense like..... student/athlete or is student athletes OK?

In other news, Mike Gundy breathed a sigh of relief. He thought he had pulled this guy's scholly offer too, only to find out he hadn't offered.

Bccajun
2/7/2008, 05:05 PM
OSU was on his list. From ESPN story.
On Tuesday, school district administrators said an internal investigation showed that none of the universities once thought to have pursued Hart -- including Nevada, Washington and Oklahoma State -- had contacted Hart.

Civicus_Sooner
2/7/2008, 05:07 PM
OSU would take him, I'm sure.

goingoneight
2/7/2008, 10:24 PM
So I could go up in front of everyone I work with and say I dated Jessica Alba... and... they'd believe me?

If the media or anyone with internet connection had a clue, there would have never been a ceremony and this would be some funny little story out west. I mean, no one ever asked him about letters from universities, phone records, etc?

goingoneight
2/7/2008, 10:25 PM
OSU was on his list. From ESPN story.
On Tuesday, school district administrators said an internal investigation showed that none of the universities once thought to have pursued Hart -- including Nevada, Washington and Oklahoma State -- had contacted Hart.

Rah-hight... and Bobby Reid won't lose his starting job to Zac Robinson... :D

stoopified
2/7/2008, 10:47 PM
What a dufus.Give him a little dope and he is a UT Bonghorn poster boy.

Animal Mother
2/8/2008, 01:41 PM

He shoots!! He scores!!!

Animal Mother
2/8/2008, 01:44 PM
OSU would take him, I'm sure.

OSU would take Barney Fife.

tennsooner
2/11/2008, 03:47 PM
For Gawd sakes people just think how it would feel to be Oregon. They came in second for this kid. Atleast he did choose Cal.:D

Youngsooner
2/11/2008, 04:12 PM
So I could go up in front of everyone I work with and say I dated Jessica Alba... and... they'd believe me?

I dated Jessica Alba, we ended up breaking it off because of complications, we're still friends though:D