PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding timely cleaning of your computer

BudSooner
2/6/2008, 07:33 PM
I've researched this but didn't see anything on the topic, forgive me if i'm rehashing something done before.

But in regards to actual cleaning, that is blowing out dust and other stuff....how often does everyone do it?
I've done this twice a month every month since we still have carpets in the house, i'm in the process of eliminating the carpet soon to rid myself of the issue of excess dust from them. And yes, we do vaccum.

One last thing, my cd/dvd/games have deteriorated over the years is there a cleaning system that might be useful and won't destroy the disks I currently have?

Also, what do you use to clean the cd/dvd drives optics?

Mjcpr
2/6/2008, 07:45 PM
First and foremost, is there an OCD treatment center in your area?

Vaevictis
2/6/2008, 07:51 PM
I'm a computer geek, and I don't clear out the dust more often than once a year. I do clear out any blockage on the air intake our outflow every couple of months, pretty much whenever I notice that it needs to be done.

It also depends on your model of computer. The ones I tend to buy have very good airflow, so a little blockage has very little impact.

Cleaning CDs, I just use water and a non-scratch cloth (the kind you might use on a camera lens).

I never clean the optics. Always found that it does more harm than good... unless you screwed up and did something to damage them.

soonerboomer93
2/6/2008, 07:58 PM
you're cleaning it way too often (unless you have animals)

my parents i only clean every 6 months ish

Rogue
2/6/2008, 08:21 PM
You people "clean" computers? Seriously?

I bet if the grease monkey changing your oil suggests a new air filter every month you do that too? Weird.

BudSooner
2/6/2008, 08:28 PM
Yes I do clean it, and yes I do have pets of the long haired variety.
This house is pretty hard on the damned fans of the computer due to dust and i'm planning on running it until funds are available for the next buildup.

OCD, **** on ya. ;)

I had the case on the floor, but after cleaning it today it's found a new home on top of the desk next to the monitor.
Maybe that will help to keep the fans happier.

GottaHavePride
2/6/2008, 09:09 PM
I clean my PC case when the temp sensors start freaking out from lack of airflow. That's about it.