PDA

View Full Version : ***Official Whorns vs. Sooners***

SleestakSooner
2/6/2008, 07:18 PM
Sooners off to a fast start were up by ten 5-15 and Crocker is on fire hitting 3 for 3 from beyond the arc!

sooner2b09
2/6/2008, 07:30 PM
I am impressed so far

SleestakSooner
2/6/2008, 07:42 PM
Capel has already used most of the bench

2:30 left and the Sooners are still holding a 4 point lead

Game has gotten sloppy with OU throwing up some poor shots and bad passing.

Newbomb Turk
2/6/2008, 07:43 PM
Capel has already used most of the bench

not much bench to use.

let's go boys!

29-23 OU

SleestakSooner
2/6/2008, 07:58 PM
OU up 29-25 at the half

Texass has been strong in the second half of games this season, a trend I hope doesn't continue.

It would be nice if someone besides Crocker would hit a 3

OU is 3 of 11 from 3-point land, while UT is 2 of 11.

Blake and Taylor are playing strong on the inside and the whole team seemed to be playing with intensity.

Newbomb Turk
2/6/2008, 08:01 PM
Yeah - I don't like our chances in the 2nd half, but I'm an optimist.

sooner518
2/6/2008, 08:13 PM
Cade Davis has missed 3 open 3's. Boy needs to hit something

birddog
2/6/2008, 08:22 PM
i'm a nervous nelson. looks like we'll have a chance to pull off a big one tonight. i wasn't expecting that. AT ALL.

birddog
2/6/2008, 08:23 PM
blake griffin.

that is all.

birddog
2/6/2008, 08:24 PM
oooh. what a dunk by 'cuse player.

birddog
2/6/2008, 08:27 PM
i guess no one is really too amped about this game?:confused:

birddog
2/6/2008, 08:29 PM
down 49-44. 8:40 left

cheezyq
2/6/2008, 08:30 PM
So, these officials can call an offensive lean-in foul, but choke on the whistle when it comes to a simple over-the-back?

birddog
2/6/2008, 08:30 PM
er maybe everyone, like me, is eagerly awaiting the us-mexico match to follow this game?

Collier11
2/6/2008, 08:38 PM
Abrams is killing us

FroggyStyle22
2/6/2008, 08:39 PM
It's amazing how these announcers can suck texas off so much and announce the game at the same time. Must be ventrilioquists.

Collier11
2/6/2008, 08:40 PM
well sh*t, I went over 4000 posts today and didnt even realize it...and I hate Mason now

cheezyq
2/6/2008, 08:45 PM
Isn't the HOME team supposed to get the calls?

cheezyq
2/6/2008, 08:46 PM
OVER THE BACK!!!!!!!

Collier11
2/6/2008, 08:47 PM
OVER THE BACK!!!!!!!

actually I dont think it was, he left the ground way before Blake ever established himself, now the other no calls thus far have been crap

birddog
2/6/2008, 08:48 PM
i don't mind losing but i hate when the refs affect a game this much.

Collier11
2/6/2008, 08:48 PM
we have blown this one with bad perimeter D more than anything

birddog
2/6/2008, 08:50 PM
and cade davis getting too many minutes in crunch time.

cheezyq
2/6/2008, 08:52 PM
Why does it feel like we're the Oakland Raiders of college basketball when it comes to the officiating?

sooner518
2/6/2008, 08:52 PM
Texas got hot from 3 at the worst possible time. Not to mention our 3 point shooting woes continue

kc sooner
2/6/2008, 08:55 PM
Hard to win with Gerber and Davis getting a lot of time. Plus, Omar Leary is really struggling and Crocker did nothing in the 2nd half because of fouls. texass sucks!!!!!!!!!!

Collier11
2/6/2008, 08:59 PM
Why does it feel like we're the Oakland Raiders of college basketball when it comes to the officiating?

I think every fan of every team feels that way

stoopified
2/6/2008, 09:05 PM
What happened to the HOME team getting the benefit of foul calls?We got hopsed by the officials.The Atchley putback(going over Blakes' back) was an obvious blown call,just one of many IMHO.The way the game was called I would have thought we were in Austin or Stillwater.

cheezyq
2/6/2008, 09:25 PM
I think every fan of every team feels that way

I agree, and I don't like to blame a loss on officiating. And I don't think that we LOST because of officiating in this one. We're just missing too many players, and couldn't hit an outside shot in the 2nd half. And we played poor defense down the stretch. And what I wouldn't give to force a turnover once in a while. But....

...tonight's officiating was a travesty. They didn't call an OtB all night, despite at least 3-4 obvious ones. The one that should have resulted in McAtchley's 5th WAS an OtB. You don't have to establish position for it to be an OtB foul. In fact, most times, an OtB prevents you from establishing position.

I think that too many games are one-sided in the officiating. We had one go mostly our way against oSu and WV, as well as the several that have gone the other direction. But the biggest problem is the inconsistency of the officials. One minute they'll call something obscure and ticky-tack, and the next moment they miss a blatant call. You could tell that the players were frustrated with the officiating too. Crocker got a bit immature with it in the 2nd half, but he was right. You rarely see Capel getting onto the officials, and even he was upset about several of the calls/non-calls. Tonight was just out of this world bad.

Collier11
2/6/2008, 09:55 PM
I agree, and I don't like to blame a loss on officiating. And I don't think that we LOST because of officiating in this one. We're just missing too many players, and couldn't hit an outside shot in the 2nd half. And we played poor defense down the stretch. And what I wouldn't give to force a turnover once in a while. But....

Exactly
The one that should have resulted in McAtchley's 5th WAS an OtB. You don't have to establish position for it to be an OtB foul. In fact, most times, an OtB prevents you from establishing position.
I dont agree, if you watch the replay, mcatchley left the ground straight up and had the ball in his hands before Griffin was in his contact with him...I think it was a good no call

I think that too many games are one-sided in the officiating. We had one go mostly our way against oSu and WV, as well as the several that have gone the other direction. But the biggest problem is the inconsistency of the officials. One minute they'll call something obscure and ticky-tack, and the next moment they miss a blatant call. You could tell that the players were frustrated with the officiating too. Crocker got a bit immature with it in the 2nd half, but he was right. You rarely see Capel getting onto the officials, and even he was upset about several of the calls/non-calls. Tonight was just out of this world bad.

The fact that anyone would say that the home team or the big time player should get the calls doesnt know jack about sports, it has gotten rediculous...I have seen two games in the past couple of weeks where Bob Knights team had a FT discrepancy of 50-13 and 30-13 at home, that makes no sense and its a shame the conferences and NBA dont seem to care

OUmillenium
2/6/2008, 11:14 PM
I was at night class and the wife didn't DVR the game until tied 44-44. Other than about 3 plays by the Griffin Bros, we sucked for 10 minutes.

I hate excuses but the officials were definitely affecting the game in a negative manner for the Sooners. WEAK call for Blake's 3rd foul on offense. Poor no call on the next trip when he was getting fouled on the baseline. Again when he was fouled on a shot attempt and they ruled out of bounds. Again on the over the back no call later. Unbelievable...unless you watch a lot of Big 12 basketball.

The above posters are correct in that the perimeter D was poor - mostly by AJ.

It's great that Taylor has elevated his game and Blake continues to play well. AJ + Godbold + Crocker showed me very little in the last 10 minutes.

Ash
2/6/2008, 11:51 PM
We needed a great defensive game by our guards and didn't get it.

Godbold has been performing above and beyond but couldn't quite get it done this game.

Crocker has shown he can be a lock down defender but bit it tonight.

We needed to run a tighter offensive set down the stretch, going inside out, finding Blake...it didn't happen and we ran crappy sets...our guards are way too comfortable dribbling on the perimeter and taking their shots. Capel needs to run the next a-hole that thinks they're MJ on the perimeter out there taking fade away threes and ****.

Turnovers...GAH!!!

Bottomline...our backcourt got schooled and the scoreboard shows it.

Ash
2/6/2008, 11:53 PM
OH yeah and have I said I ****ing hate losing to the mother****ing :texan: Hook em :mack: :oink: SUCCS Hook em :texan: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

usmc-sooner
2/6/2008, 11:57 PM
we need to run an offense

find someone who can penetrate, and dish

we couldn't crack 60 even with a 1st round NBA player

crawfish
2/7/2008, 08:43 AM
The team just got flat worn out in the second half. Lack of depth'll do that to ya.

We need Davis & Neysmith to come along very fast, or our season is in trouble, if Longar is out for more than a few games.

Ash
2/7/2008, 09:35 AM
When Blake is on the floor, the offense needs to run through him, whether he's down low or on the high post, whatever. But he needs to touch the ball. Late in the game last night, there was too much dribbling around the perimeter and Blake wasn't getting the ball early in the offense.

Boomer.....
2/7/2008, 09:47 AM
When was the last time that OU got anything out of Cade Davis? He is supposed to be the second best player in Oklahoma, behind BG, and a great 3-point shooter. I'm sure it has something to do with nerves and his limited play, but he should hit a shot every now and then.

crawfish
2/7/2008, 10:09 AM
When was the last time that OU got anything out of Cade Davis? He is supposed to be the second best player in Oklahoma, behind BG, and a great 3-point shooter. I'm sure it has something to do with nerves and his limited play, but he should hit a shot every now and then.

I think it'll come. He actually didn't do bad yesterday...took some good shots, but they just didn't fall. Some good movement without the ball on offense. It may be (lack of) confidence or thinking too much.

Definitely needs to work on his defense, though. Far too many breakdowns.

OUmillenium
2/7/2008, 10:13 AM
Cade's shots have not been consistent unless we are talking consistently off in a variety of ways.

He looks tight/nervous when he shoots. Not confidant.

Solutions anyone?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/7/2008, 10:31 AM
The team just got flat worn out in the second half. Lack of depth'll do that to ya.

We need Davis & Neysmith to come along very fast, or our season is in trouble, if Longar is out for more than a few games.

That is what I saw. From about the 10 minute mark on in the second half the team was going largely on fumes. Texas then started getting more open shots and hit some key threes. Not having Longar meant we couldn't exploit and inside advantage and get to the foul line thus slowing the tempo of the game and getting more rest. A whole lot of long possessions on both offense and defense will wear a team down. When Keith Clark became ineligible I thought there were 1-2 games that we might lose that we would have won otherwise because of depth issues...this was probably one of those games.

Crocker's foul trouble hurt as well.

I beleive collectively AJ, Leary and Davis were 0-12 from 3-point range. I think Cade Davis will come around with more playing time but sometimes freshman play like freshman. Still think he will be a real good player in time.

I wouldn't count on Longar being back Sat so we need to find a way to steal a win in Boulder. Given it is a road game and the altitude that almost certainly means that Davis will need to produce some and Gerber will probably see more minutes.

cheezyq
2/7/2008, 10:35 AM
The fact that anyone would say that the home team or the big time player should get the calls doesnt know jack about sports, it has gotten rediculous...I have seen two games in the past couple of weeks where Bob Knights team had a FT discrepancy of 50-13 and 30-13 at home, that makes no sense and its a shame the conferences and NBA dont seem to care

Hey, I'd rather see fair officiating across the board, too. But since that never happens, and never will happen, I'll settle on hoping for a little home-team advantage once in a while. It certainly doesn't mean I don't know "jack" about sports. It's just being realistic about any sport these days. Every sport has it's poor officiating. Some teams just get it worse than others.

The Patriots get the benefit of the doubt on almost every play because they have been viewed as the darling franchise in the NFL. The Raiders get the opposite treatment. Booby Knight gets the benefit of the doubt on almost every play, the Sooners do not. The San Antonio Spurs and LA Lakers get the benefit of the doubt on almost every play, the Phoenix Suns do not. Players like Michael Beasley and Michael Jordan and Shaquille O'Neal get the benefit of the doubt on nearly every play. Godbold does not.

Randy Moss got called for pushing off nearly every time the ball was thrown his direction as a Raider. But as a Viking or Patriot, he somehow transforms into the best WR in the history of the game? Absurd.

For better or worse (well, just worse), that's the way sports works. It's delusional to think otherwise. Teams like Texas Tech (before Knight's retirement), Texas, Texas A&M, and Kansas are almost always going to get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the officiating. Why? Because they have established successful coaches, and those coaches have established relationships with the officials. If you watch ANY basketball game, a lot of times the whistle is blown in anticipation of a foul, not as the actual foul occurs. When that is the case, you can be sure it's going the way of the established star or the established coach.

And officials are also controlled by outside forces. Do you really think that the NFL hasn't taken notice of Al Davis' lawsuits and a reputation for tough play that was earned over 30 years ago and allowed that to play into the minds of the officials when the Raiders play? And what about all the recent examples of officials that were essentially cronies for the mob?

Anyone who doesn't take notice of the poor officiating doesn't know "jack" about sports. I'm not saying that every game goes against OU, and that that's why we lose games. But poor officiating plays a role in almost every game, and it played a role in last night's game, too.

Re: McAtchley's over-the-back foul. Here's the official rule from the 2007 NCAA rule book - A player may not:

"Extend either or both shoulders, hips, knees or extend either or both
arms or elbows fully or partially in a position other than vertical
so that the freedom of movement of an opponent is hindered when
contact with any of these body parts occurs."

If the ball comes to McAtchley, and he snags it out of the air jumping straight up, the ball is his and there is no foul. But he didn't do that. He was moving forward, and reached at a forward angle, violating the rule of verticality while creating illegal contact.

NormanPride
2/7/2008, 10:58 AM
I love watching this team play, but they can be so frustrating at times. We have no outside game, and our guards know it. They don't take open shots, and even the mid-range is iffy. Seeing Leary pass up a 15 footer to feed a double teamed Griffin brother is a sad sight.

cheezyq
2/7/2008, 11:06 AM
I think our guard play will get there eventually, but we have to recruit the players that can shoot. Warren's supposed to be a good shooter. Crocker is a good shooter, but puts up some bad shots sometimes. The biggest thing we need is a slashing guard/forward that can create his own shot and get into the paint off the dribble. AJ, Godbold, and Crocker are serviceable shooters if they're open. They're just never open. Our best ballhandler is AJ, and he's only a below average PG at best. He'll flash some skills here and there, but is nowhere near consistent enough to keep us going offensively.

sooner518
2/7/2008, 11:22 AM
Cade's shots have not been consistent unless we are talking consistently off in a variety of ways.

He looks tight/nervous when he shoots. Not confidant.

Solutions anyone?
tequila?

usmc-sooner
2/7/2008, 03:08 PM

there's a big difference in playing in the Big 12 and playing at Elk City.

Texas
2/7/2008, 03:15 PM
This guy should get somebody to proof read his sign before he takes it to the arena.

http://pics.utexasclan.com/ousign.jpg

Ash
2/7/2008, 03:23 PM
Ohhh, grammar smack. Oooh, burn!

The trolls come out for this epic victory over a team that isn't at full strength.

Crawl back up Mack's hole, whorn.

footballfanatic
2/7/2008, 04:52 PM
This guy should get somebody to proof read his sign before he takes it to the arena.

Though I am a Texas fan, I feel the need to point out that proofread is one word, not two, lol.

Civicus_Sooner
2/7/2008, 05:11 PM
Though I am a Texas fan, I feel the need to point out that proofread is one word, not two, lol.heh

Texas
2/7/2008, 05:27 PM
Then again, I'm not on national TV

Stoop Dawg
2/7/2008, 07:49 PM

So you're okay with being stupid so long as you're not on national TV? Interesting.

Spray
2/7/2008, 08:42 PM

700 people have viewed this thread. That's probably more than watched the game. :D

OUstud
2/7/2008, 11:55 PM

Vitale didn't even call the game right?

Texas
2/8/2008, 12:05 AM
Na, it was Franklin + Fran Fraschilla.

Vitale was at Duke/UNC.

cheezyq
2/8/2008, 09:56 AM

There's nothing wrong w/ that sign. Perhaps he meant that we're Mr. Vitale's "awesome baby"? Or Mr. Vitale is our "awesome baby"? :D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/8/2008, 12:14 PM
there's a big difference in playing in the Big 12 and playing at Elk City.

No doubt but I think Cade is going to be a real good player at OU and I think he will likely make some contributions down the stretch if we are going to be a tourney team. He certainly isn't a wallflower. He will have a game down the road where some of those outside shots start dropping.