PDA

View Full Version : merry ash wednesday

rufnek05
2/6/2008, 12:34 PM
its going to suck. i hate not being able to eat meat on fridays. good luck to all catholics with you lent

M
2/6/2008, 12:57 PM
Getting my ashes today at 12:10 Mass. W00t!

Fugue
2/6/2008, 01:04 PM
Ashes at 7pm Vespers.

SOONER STEAKER
2/6/2008, 01:06 PM
Ashes this morning. Chips and cookies for lunch, Long John Silver's for dinner.

HskrGrl
2/6/2008, 01:35 PM
Ok this might be a completely stupid question, but I'm goint to ask it anyway. :P Can Catholics eat chicken on Fridays?

M
2/6/2008, 01:42 PM
Ok this might be a completely stupid question, but I'm goint to ask it anyway. :P Can Catholics eat chicken on Fridays?

No chicken, no beef, no pork...basically no meat except fish! :)

M
2/6/2008, 01:43 PM

And the "no meat on Fridays" only applies during Lent. Unless you're like, an uber-strict mega Catholic. ;)

MamaMia
2/6/2008, 01:51 PM
Ok this might be a completely stupid question, but I'm goint to ask it anyway. :P Can Catholics eat chicken on Fridays? On Ash Wednesday, the Fridays of Lent and Good Friday some say that the Church law prohibits both red meat and chicken. Others will disagree. On those days, Catholics who have completed their 14th year may not eat meat. That includes chicken, which the Church considers to be meat. My family doesn't eat meat on any Fridays. We eat fish.

SteelClip49
2/6/2008, 01:53 PM
I'm Catholic and I forgot...I am so bad.

HskrGrl
2/6/2008, 02:24 PM
Ok, I understand now. Thanks. :) I didn't realize that there were Catholics that never ate meat on Fridays not matter if it was lent or not. I grew up in the Methodist and Lutheran church so we participated in Ash Wednesday and we usually tried to give up something for lent, but we didn't do the no meat on Fridays thing. Now that I attend a Christian church (with no denominational affiliations) we don't really do any of that.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/6/2008, 02:58 PM
No chicken, no beef, no pork...basically no meat except fish! :)

But you can eat muskrat (and capibara?) because they have been declared water animals. I know about muskrats, because the diocese in Wisconsin allows it. Friday fish fry's become muskrat fry's during Lent.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/6/2008, 03:00 PM
Ok, I understand now. Thanks. :) I didn't realize that there were Catholics that never ate meat on Fridays not matter if it was lent or not. I grew up in the Methodist and Lutheran church so we participated in Ash Wednesday and we usually tried to give up something for lent, but we didn't do the no meat on Fridays thing.

That's because us Lutherans knew better than the Pope believers to reduce the amount or type of food to eat and nailed a bunch of revisions to a door in Germany...;)

olevetonahill
2/6/2008, 03:13 PM
I converted to heathenizim . I can eat any thing i want ,

tommieharris91
2/6/2008, 03:26 PM
Well I wasn't thinkin and I ate meat today... :(

HskrGrl
2/6/2008, 03:34 PM
Today is Wednesday, though. :confused:

olevetonahill
2/6/2008, 03:37 PM
Well I wasn't thinkin and I ate meat today... :(
I like to eat Fish tho

SOONER STEAKER
2/6/2008, 04:20 PM
For those in ill health, the sacrifice does not apply though.

Condescending Sooner
2/6/2008, 04:32 PM
Where does all the rubbing ashes on your forehead come from? I have never seen it mentioned in the Bible.

proud gonzo
2/6/2008, 04:43 PM
But you can eat muskrat (and capibara?) because they have been declared water animals. I know about muskrats, because the diocese in Wisconsin allows it. Friday fish fry's become muskrat fry's during Lent.capybara.

The muskrat is a semi-aquatic rodent native to North American wetlands. The capybara (of an entirely different family than the muskrat) is currently the largest rodent on earth and its scientific name is greek for "water hog". They have slightly webbed feet and are also semi-aquatic, native to South America and generally preferring wooded areas near bodies of water.
Muskrats are mainly herbivores, but small animals make up about 5% of their diet. The capybara, on the other hand, is a coprophagous herbivore (...look it up) and sometimes regurgitate their food and chew it like cud.

...probably much more than you wanted to know about either animal. :O

capybara:
http://z.about.com/d/boston/1/7/e/2/-/-/capybara.JPG

muskrat:
http://k53.pbase.com/o2/13/6313/1/52284814.muskrat7x.jpg

Whet
2/6/2008, 05:07 PM
My first year in Chicago, I went out for lunch and started noticing most all of the people had X's on their foreheads. I was totally confused - I thought I could be a Charles Manson thing, or some radio station was having some type of contest..... something just wasn't right!

Finally, when I returned to the office, I mentioned to a coworker that I saw all of these people with X's on their foreheads and was wondering if she knew what was going on.......

Boy, did I feel stupid after she told me what the X's on the foreheads were all about. Geesh, what did I know, I was from Oklahoma and I don't recall X's being THAT abundant......

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

HskrGrl
2/6/2008, 05:10 PM
I like to eat Fish tho

Must

resist

the urge

to comment!

SOONER STEAKER
2/6/2008, 05:19 PM
Where does all the rubbing ashes on your forehead come from? I have never seen it mentioned in the Bible.

They come from burned palms from left over from Palm Sunday of the previous year.

olevetonahill
2/6/2008, 05:33 PM
My first year in Chicago, I went out for lunch and started noticing most all of the people had X's on their foreheads. I was totally confused - I thought I could be a Charles Manson thing, or some radio station was having some type of contest..... something just wasn't right!

Finally, when I returned to the office, I mentioned to a coworker that I saw all of these people with X's on their foreheads and was wondering if she knew what was going on.......

Boy, did I feel stupid after she told me what the X's on the foreheads were all about. Geesh, what did I know, I was from Oklahoma and I don't recall X's being THAT abundant......

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Well come on what was the deal with the exes ?

Whet
2/6/2008, 09:27 PM
Well come on what was the deal with the exes ?

Come to find out, these folks go to their Catholic church where someone puts an X on their forehead, using burned palm leaves - something about ash wednesday.....

I'm tellin' ya olevet - it was something new to me!!! Even on the train home tonight, I noticed a guy with an X on his forehead - kinda like a smudge of dirt that makes you want to go up to the person and try to clean it off....................

olevetonahill
2/6/2008, 09:30 PM
Like Mom used to ? Ya know a Lil spit and scrubbin ?

BigRedJed
2/6/2008, 09:34 PM
You'd have to be pretty short for her to reach your forehead.

Whet
2/6/2008, 09:34 PM
Yepper! Sometimes it takes a lot of self control to NOT to that! Like sitting in a meeting, across the table with an X-head trying to hold a conversation with this person and at the same time, thinking "Yea, I could wipe that off in one quick swipe."