PDA

View Full Version : WTF is up with all the GD drama with the recruits these days.

achiro
2/6/2008, 11:48 AM
I just don't get it, all the dang hype and pumping it up and stuff. The guy last year arriving in a limo to the FB HOF to announce his choice(ND) was over the top for sure. The ol' hat switcheroo where they act like one hat is going on then grabbing the other. Waiting until the very last ding dang minute to announce. Press conferences with ESPN...I don't know, I'm starting to side with the ones that say to just recruit kids that really want to win and want to win as a team, playing for OKLAHOMA!

Mixer!
2/6/2008, 12:06 PM
chicks love drama.

[/obligatory] ;)

Breadburner
2/6/2008, 12:27 PM
Now you know why some don't perform up to expectations.....Or when it counts.....Or when they are down by a few.....

JLEW1818
2/6/2008, 12:33 PM
Jones to Alabama. Calhoun to OU.

The_Red_Patriot
2/6/2008, 12:34 PM
http://www-tech.mit.edu/V115/N15/tommy.gif

Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it? .................No, I mean is, you can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a butcher's ***... No, wait. It's gotta be your bull.

or

I could take a crap in a box and mark it guaranteed.........but all you get is a guaranteed piece of ****

Recruiting lists are BS

Period....

MextheBulldog
2/6/2008, 12:58 PM
It's an exciting day for an 18 year old kid. So they are having fun with it.

But i'm with the Red Patriot - recruiting in general is such a crapshoot, to suggest a team's recruiting list is good or bad based on high school results is a joke.

zeke
2/6/2008, 01:28 PM
I just don't get it, all the dang hype and pumping it up and stuff. The guy last year arriving in a limo to the FB HOF to announce his choice(ND) was over the top for sure. The ol' hat switcheroo where they act like one hat is going on then grabbing the other. Waiting until the very last ding dang minute to announce. Press conferences with ESPN...I don't know, I'm starting to side with the ones that say to just recruit kids that really want to win and want to win as a team, playing for OKLAHOMA!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Yep, OU ought to just sign the kids who REALLY want to play for Oklahoma.

Cause the reason we lost 3 times this year was cause these kids from outa state didnt really care where they play. Silly coaches should forget about getting the most talented kids in the country. Heck fire every school in Oklahoma has got about 20 seniors who would give thier left nut to play for OU...and they would try real hard as opposed to those who have talent and dont try.

SoonerObsession
2/6/2008, 02:02 PM
I just think it's disrespectful to coaches that have so much time and attention vested in you to dump on them at the last minute. Even when recruits side with Oklahoma, I feel bad when they diss other coaches. I really despise the whole teasing hat trick.

Jello Biafra
2/6/2008, 02:18 PM

Cause the reason we lost 3 times this year was cause these kids from outa state didnt really care where they play. Silly coaches should forget about getting the most talented kids in the country. Heck fire every school in Oklahoma has got about 20 seniors who would give thier left nut to play for OU...and they would try real hard as opposed to those who have talent and dont try.

not to start ALLLL of this crap again but..........heart, determination and hardwork will beat talent 9 out of 10 times..........that is all. see you guys next fall :)

achiro
2/6/2008, 02:38 PM

I love it when people miss the entire point of a post and instead rant on something like this.:rolleyes:

SouthFortySooner
2/6/2008, 02:58 PM
Somehow, I have no idea how, these kids have come to believe that type of attitude has a greater payoff. ???

Oldnslo
2/6/2008, 03:06 PM
not to start ALLLL of this crap again but..........heart, determination and hardwork will beat talent 9 out of 10 times..........that is all. see you guys next fall :)
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

If I'm not mistaken, that very line can be heard uttered by each of the Brothers Stoops. AZ may have even had shirts printed up with that on 'em.

One can also hear this line in the Weintraub house from time to time, God bless my kids.

snp
2/6/2008, 03:24 PM
It amazes me that people still try to discredit the correlation between great recruiting classes and success. Just because you don't find it interesting doesn't mean that you're right.

Curly Bill
2/6/2008, 03:27 PM
It amazes me that people still try to discredit the correlation between great recruiting classes and success. Just because you don't find it interesting doesn't mean that you're right.

Ah, you know you can take any old high school player and if he want's it bad enough you can make a star out of him. ;) ;)

SoonerFaninAZ
2/6/2008, 03:29 PM
...heart, determination and hardwork will beat talent 9 out of 10 times...

That's not true.

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

That is.

Ash
2/6/2008, 03:44 PM
Recruiting is fun to follow, but I agree that the hoopla has gotten out of control.

zeke
2/6/2008, 04:26 PM
I love it when people miss the entire point of a post and instead rant on something like this.:rolleyes:

Didn't mean to rant and I did sort of get off of the point of the thread. Your last comment in the original post puzzles me though. I've got to believe that the kids you see at OU (or at almost any other college team) and especially those that start or those that get to step on to the field on game day demonstrate a desire to win and win as a team. Maybe not, but I've got to believe that's the way it is.

The draft drama is sometimes a bit overboard like the limo deal, but overall I like the attention the draft gets.

william_brasky
2/6/2008, 04:27 PM
back in the day, if a fellah pulled some prima donna sh1t like they do now, they'd get an ***-whoopin'

Jello Biafra
2/6/2008, 04:47 PM
That's not true.

That is.

i tried to infer that "hard work will beat talent that doesn't work."
apparently, i missed the mark.

r5TPsooner
2/6/2008, 04:55 PM
I find it all sort of entertaining. However, if your azz pulls up in a limo to sign a letter of intent, you had better produce on the field big time.

That is all.

Taxman71
2/6/2008, 05:11 PM
I don't like all the hype either as it puts too much attention, and therefore pressure, on a young kid to perform up to the hype.

Then again, if I was an 18 year old kid and the limo, etc. helped me score with the ladies, I'd do it.

achiro
2/6/2008, 05:56 PM
I find it all sort of entertaining. However, if your azz pulls up in a limo to sign a letter of intent, you had better produce on the field big time.

That is all.
and this I think is what my post boils down to. :D

goingoneight
2/6/2008, 11:34 PM
Heart, determination and hardwork will beat talent 9 out of 10 times...

So you're saying Jacob Gutierrez beat out Renaldo Works, Kejuan Jones, Donte Hixson, Adrian Peterson, Allen Patrick, Chris Brown, DeMarco Murray and Mossis Madu? Well, he edged Derek Gove, and two guys transferred. :D

Jacie
2/7/2008, 07:07 AM
The drama is nothing new. I think Jesse Armstead signed his LOI with the cameras rolling while sitting in a hot tub and that was over 20 years ago. Signing Day is the epitome for some of these guys, kids who have been told over and over how great they are by their parents, coaches, fans and agents. They are going to enjoy the moment and for some it might be their last. There are always a bunch of em who go to college and are never heard from again except for when they transfer to a lower division school to finish their career against less aggressive competition.

MamaMia
2/7/2008, 09:47 AM
Drama? Are you kidding me? Senior high school students/football players acting all mojo in front of the microphone? Thats what you call drama? Thats nothing. You've never been to my house. I have 3 daughters and 4 granddaughters who would make all these recruits look withdrawn.

Curly Bill
2/7/2008, 10:02 AM
Drama? Are you kidding me? Senior high school students/football players acting all mojo in front of the microphone? Thats what you call drama? Thats nothing. You've never been to my house. I have 3 daughters and 4 granddaughters who would make all these recruits look withdrawn.

heh

OUmillenium
2/7/2008, 10:05 AM
Now we are getting to the heart of the issue...most of these drama queens have a tendency to play like girls at some of the most inopportune times.

Breadburner
2/7/2008, 10:26 AM

You ever have pepper spray them.......

MamaMia
2/7/2008, 10:45 AM
You ever have pepper spray them....... No, but I have been close to asphyxiation by hair spray on many a Sunday morning before Mass.

pennsooner
2/7/2008, 11:49 AM
I blame ESPN, rivals.com, sports talk radio, facebook, and all of the other media outlets that put these over-inflated, egotistical, pampered idiots on the pedestal. Isay, just shut up and play football. I'm not kidding. Back here in PA even division 1AA recruits get airtime. It's all ridiculous!

badger
2/7/2008, 12:27 PM
Let's give the recruits some slack. The past few years they've had nothing but a phone ringing off the hook, constant text messages from guys like Ron Zook, assistants from universities hanging over their shoulder and their mailbox exploded from being overstuffed.

It isn't just the media hyping them up, it's the schools, too. It's probably a huge relief when they finally announce that their recruitment is over and they're going to a good school.

The hat switcheroo? Most recruits call coaches before big announcements to let them know their decision. So, the switcheroo is just playing to the audience. As you may recall, one guy that we got pulled an OU hat from underneath a Florida one.

These athletes have worked hard and their moment in the spotlight is their reward for wading through the crap and recruitment process. Perhaps their parents also received a new job, house and car, but hey, the athletes got their moment on the teevee.

crimson&cream
2/7/2008, 06:21 PM
I'm with those tired of all the gimmickry announcing what school they're going to go to, especially the hat thing it's overused and outdated.

The VIIIth
2/7/2008, 07:30 PM

Man, 11 more and you'd have a golf course!
:D

Jello Biafra
2/7/2008, 08:11 PM
:D

roflmao.....mamma gonna get ya....but hey...least i didn't say it ;)

Curly Bill
2/7/2008, 08:17 PM
least i didn't say it ;)

My exact thoughts.

:pop:

MamaMia
2/7/2008, 11:18 PM
:Dhttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/d3eb9675102aff1ff4d3c42f16f2ab20.jpg