PDA

View Full Version : Weird recruiting story

snp
2/5/2008, 07:24 PM
HS Senior Kevin Hart out of Fernely, Nevada conducts a press conference announcing his intentions to commit to the University of California over oregon. What makes this odd is neither school has heard of him. Either he's fabricating his entire recruiting process or someone got even.

http://cal.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=769462

Anyone else want to commit to ou with me tomorrow?

Sooner_Bob
2/5/2008, 08:26 PM
I saw that on insider . . . you gotta feel bad for the kid.

RiddlerOK
2/5/2008, 11:29 PM
Feel bad for him? Are we sure he didn't perpetrate this hoax?

KingDavid
2/5/2008, 11:49 PM
This will be interesting. I kinda feel bad, but also kinda just want to pop some corn and watch this thing unfold.

:pop:

Widescreen
2/6/2008, 12:06 AM
Some kid from Kansas did this to us about 3 years ago. I thought it was funny.

illinisooner
2/6/2008, 12:31 AM
The kid has to be joking, there's no way he thought he was getting recruited by Cal if they never talked to his HS coach or someone never came in home, etc. It reminds me of the random kids who declare for the NFL/NBA draft when they haven't played since HS. It's funny, but I'm not really sure what to make of this; it will be interesting to see what the real story is.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/6/2008, 09:21 AM
The kid has to be joking, there's no way he thought he was getting recruited by Cal if they never talked to his HS coach or someone never came in home, etc. It reminds me of the random kids who declare for the NFL/NBA draft when they haven't played since HS. It's funny, but I'm not really sure what to make of this; it will be interesting to see what the real story is.

Sort of along those lines. Some years back I played some minor league baseball. Really only made it a year and change. I had joked with my buddies a few years later that since I had been retired 5 years I was HOF eligible so I put a card on Ebay.

One of my other buddies managed to get my name dropped in among other Cardinal "greats" in a press release regarding the Cardinals winter warm up a few years back that made it into the Post Dispatch. I'm sure some people that read it said WHO?

BTW I'm still well short of the votes needed for the HOF.:D

MojoRisen
2/6/2008, 09:59 AM
I remember the kid from Kansas- I think he was a tight end. Anyhow if this isn't a screw up by the universities - I definitely blame the coach....

That kid could commit harry carey over this kind of thing. If he came up with the idea I hope he scored with some Cheer leaders...

Desert Sapper
2/6/2008, 10:32 AM
The whole thing about the Oregon camp makes me think it was this kid and nobody else. It just makes me wonder if he did it for the publicity or something else.

Sooner_Havok
2/6/2008, 02:27 PM
here is more on the story

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=3233483)

MojoRisen
2/6/2008, 03:03 PM
This really PO's me- the kid got not only screwed but kicked in the balls...

TheHumanAlphabet
2/6/2008, 03:29 PM
I don't know, the fact that the kid had nothing on the "recruiter" sounds fishy to me, like CYA time. Will be interesting to hear the final details.

MamaMia
2/6/2008, 06:06 PM
Did this kid visit any universities? :confused:

Ash
2/6/2008, 06:34 PM
Story is, his parents hired a recruiting "coordinator" to help the kid. The coordinator fabricated this whole thing. The kid never visited Cal or Oregon, or contacted them, or whatever according to the schools.

Not sure if anybody else was recruiting him or if he took other visits.

Sounds like he and his parents have been duped by a con.

Scott D
2/6/2008, 06:37 PM
according to the ESPN story Stillwater was among 3 schools that were recruiting him.

Tiger6
2/6/2008, 07:29 PM
Hey....I can respect a kid who would rather 'make up' a scholarship than go to stillwater, lol.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=3234302

batonrougesooner
2/7/2008, 05:13 AM
So he made it all up. I guess he added OSU to make it believable.

He should have said that OSU told him a scholarship would be available at the semester but they then changed their mind. I'd buy that.

Desert Sapper
2/9/2008, 11:09 AM
That's just sad. Why set yourself up for that kind of humiliation? Did he think it would lead to schools offering him scholarships? Maybe he just wanted his 15 minutes?