PDA

View Full Version : ...a table for four? Please step on the scale...

OU4LIFE
2/5/2008, 01:51 PM
Mississippi Legislature Introduces Bill that Would Ban Restaurants from Serving the Obese.

HEH (http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/4524)

frankensooner
2/5/2008, 01:56 PM
Instead of kids hanging out by the 7-11 looking for old guys to buy them beer, fatties will be hanging around outside of Mickey D's looking for kids to buy them big macs. I like it.

Hot Rod
2/5/2008, 02:00 PM
So, what if they wanted to order a salad in the restaurant and they are trying to lose weight?

sooner_born_1960
2/5/2008, 02:03 PM
So, what if they wanted to order a salad in the restaurant and they are trying to lose weight?
Go make your salad at home, fatass.

frankensooner
2/5/2008, 02:05 PM
Now if we could just keep them away from me on airplanes! ;)

sooneron
2/5/2008, 02:10 PM
This thread won't end well.

Scott D
2/5/2008, 02:46 PM
nope. I can think of some nice lawsuits I'd be getting in on in Mississippi.

frankensooner
2/5/2008, 02:50 PM
I believe the State would win. (after a long and expensive legal battle)

Scott D
2/5/2008, 02:53 PM
They might, in the end it'd likely come down to whether or not it'd be constitutional.

olevetonahill
2/5/2008, 02:56 PM
I dont like it . I dont like it one Bit .
If they out law the fatasses eatin in public , How am I gonna LMFAO at the Fat folks chowing down On the all you can eat Buffets ?
My last ex Said I barrased her By LOLMFAO at these 2 Humongous folks. They had like 40 Dirty plates Piled up On their Table , Then got up to hit the Dessert bar , waddled By with 4 plates of crap each .
I literaly Fell Out LOL
Good times .

frankensooner
2/5/2008, 02:57 PM
Health, Safety and Welfare, and since they kick in a lot of money for the medical care of lardies, the State would win (IMHO)

Scott D
2/5/2008, 02:59 PM
Health, Safety and Welfare, and since they kick in a lot of money for the medical care of lardies, the State would win (IMHO)

perhaps, but if they use the Fed. system, then the definition of obese is a crock of **** in the first place.

Sooner_Bob
2/5/2008, 03:01 PM
perhaps, but if they use the Fed. system, then the definition of obese is a crock of **** in the first place.

Think BMI. :mad:

Scott D
2/5/2008, 03:02 PM
oh I know it's BMI, that's why I said it's a crock of ****.

Sooner_Bob
2/5/2008, 03:03 PM
and that's why I agree . . . cause according to the BMI I am obese.

Scott D
2/5/2008, 03:06 PM
according to the BMI only anorexic super models are not obese.

Sooner_Bob
2/5/2008, 03:07 PM
or really, really skinny men

Scott D
2/5/2008, 03:08 PM
they're probably anorexic super models in training.

MamaMia
2/5/2008, 03:22 PM
If this law passes, I'll be opening up an ala carte restaurant in Mississippi for overweight people only. Since they eat more, I'll be rich! Of course there would never be a buffet night. :P

Sooner_Bob
2/5/2008, 03:23 PM
Good idea Mama . . . obese people have feelings too!!

SteelClip49
2/5/2008, 03:49 PM
That would suck if Kansas played at Ole Miss and Mangino and wife were to go out to eat.

Hot Rod
2/5/2008, 03:54 PM
That would suck if Kansas played at Ole Miss and Mangino and wife were to go out to eat.

Would that be considered a party that would be charged gratuity if they did?

SanJoaquinSooner
2/5/2008, 04:45 PM
government bureaucrats need to stay out of free market decisions.

If an all-you-can-eat buffet wants to charge folks by their weight, that's fine.

Beef
2/5/2008, 05:32 PM
I think a consumption tax on burgers, fries, etc. would be a way to go about it with the proceeds of the tax going to offset healthcare cost. If it has greater than a certain % of calories from fat, charge people for it.

Scott D
2/5/2008, 05:37 PM
I think a consumption tax on burgers, fries, etc. would be a way to go about it with the proceeds of the tax going to offset healthcare cost. If it has greater than a certain % of calories from fat, charge people for it.

which brings us to this counterpoint.

Fat People Cheaper to Treat, Study Says

Feb 5, 5:00 PM (ET)

By MARIA CHENG

LONDON (AP) - Preventing obesity and smoking can save lives, but it doesn't save money, researchers reported Monday. It costs more to care for healthy people who live years longer, according to a Dutch study that counters the common perception that preventing obesity would save governments millions of dollars.

"It was a small surprise," said Pieter van Baal, an economist at the Netherlands' National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, who led the study. "But it also makes sense. If you live longer, then you cost the health system more."

In a paper published online Monday in the Public Library of Science Medicine journal, Dutch researchers found that the health costs of thin and healthy people in adulthood are more expensive than those of either fat people or smokers.

Van Baal and colleagues created a model to simulate lifetime health costs for three groups of 1,000 people: the "healthy-living" group (thin and non-smoking), obese people, and smokers. The model relied on "cost of illness" data and disease prevalence in the Netherlands in 2003.

The researchers found that from age 20 to 56, obese people racked up the most expensive health costs. But because both the smokers and the obese people died sooner than the healthy group, it cost less to treat them in the long run.

On average, healthy people lived 84 years. Smokers lived about 77 years, and obese people lived about 80 years. Smokers and obese people tended to have more heart disease than the healthy people.

Cancer incidence, except for lung cancer, was the same in all three groups. Obese people had the most diabetes, and healthy people had the most strokes. Ultimately, the thin and healthy group cost the most, about $417,000, from age 20 on.

The cost of care for obese people was $371,000, and for smokers, about $326,000.

The results counter the common perception that preventing obesity will save health systems worldwide millions of dollars.

"This throws a bucket of cold water onto the idea that obesity is going to cost trillions of dollars," said Patrick Basham, a professor of health politics at Johns Hopkins University who was unconnected to the study. He said that government projections about obesity costs are frequently based on guesswork, political agendas, and changing science.

"If we're going to worry about the future of obesity, we should stop worrying about its financial impact," he said.

Obesity experts said that fighting the epidemic is about more than just saving money.

"The benefits of obesity prevention may not be seen immediately in terms of cost savings in tomorrow's budget, but there are long-term gains," said Neville Rigby, spokesman for the International Association for the Study of Obesity. "These are often immeasurable when it comes to people living longer and healthier lives."

Van Baal described the paper as "a book-keeping exercise," and said that governments should recognize that successful smoking and obesity prevention programs mean that people will have a higher chance of dying of something more expensive later in life.

"Lung cancer is a cheap disease to treat because people don't survive very long," van Baal said. "But if they are old enough to get Alzheimer's one day, they may survive longer and cost more."

The study, paid for by the Dutch Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sports, did not take into account other potential costs of obesity and smoking, such as lost economic productivity or social costs.

"We are not recommending that governments stop trying to prevent obesity," van Baal said. "But they should do it for the right reasons."

OU4LIFE
2/6/2008, 08:31 AM
according to the BMI, i'm not just obese, I'm morbidly obese....

ok srsly, a lot of you people have met me, would you call me morbidly obese?

well ok, but would you call me that to my face? ;)

BMI is just nuts.

VeeJay
2/6/2008, 08:45 AM
The legislators who introduced this are obviously yankee transplants, who have no knowledge of Southern Culture, which states that one of the ways of expressing love for a family member is to gorge them with big helpin's of meatloaf, porkchops smothered in gravy, a bowl of mashed taters with butter, sweet tea and nanner puddin for dessert.

Them's my people - leave 'em alone. :twinkies:

sooner_born_1960
2/6/2008, 09:32 AM
which brings us to this counterpoint.
So, the states should be paying the tobacco companies instead of the other way around.

KABOOKIE
2/6/2008, 10:15 AM
Fat people. Heh.

frankensooner
2/6/2008, 10:49 AM
I heard an interview with Pieter van Baal on NPR yesterday. That study was conducted in the Netherlands, where they do tend to have a lot less heart disease, I might add (lots of fish oil). The cost came from nursing home care for the old healthy people. (about 10k Euros a year). They also had government covered heath care. It also didn't account for loss of productivity from the ill, and how the healthy lived longer, more PRODUCTIVE lives.

I bet a study here, with the costs of cancer treatments, heart by-passes and what not would bear out a different result. (IMHO) ;)

BigRedJed
2/6/2008, 10:52 AM
Man, I love fish oil.

And steak.

Scott D
2/6/2008, 11:11 AM
I heard an interview with Pieter van Baal on NPR yesterday. That study was conducted in the Netherlands, where they do tend to have a lot less heart disease, I might add (lots of fish oil). The cost came from nursing home care for the old healthy people. (about 10k Euros a year). They also had government covered heath care. It also didn't account for loss of productivity from the ill, and how the healthy lived longer, more PRODUCTIVE lives.

I bet a study here, with the costs of cancer treatments, heart by-passes and what not would bear out a different result. (IMHO) ;)

Oh I know, my posting of it was tongue in cheek. If anything the serious portion of my participation in this thread is to mock the lunacy that is the BMI.

OU4LIFE
2/6/2008, 11:12 AM
I thought you liked ribs.

man I'm confused.

and obese.

Scott D
2/6/2008, 11:14 AM
jed likes food, and you are a fatass.

that should solve your confusion.

frankensooner
2/6/2008, 11:15 AM
By the way my BMI is 24.7 just barely in the normal range. I have been doing Body for Life for the last 13 months and watching what I eat and getting regular exercise for the last three years. That is crazy.

sooneron
2/6/2008, 11:16 AM
The BMI says if I were to lose another 15 lbs, taking me, (a man of 40 [hairGel] ) with a somewhat athletic build and broad shoulders, I would only be 2 points under obese. ??? The only way to measure a persons body fat % is to do it in person. Muscle weighs more than fat and I am willing to bet that the calculator is not taking into account people that lift weights 3-4 times a week. I NEED to lose another 10-12 lbs. I would LOVE to lose 15, but it's tough to maintain.

Scott D
2/6/2008, 11:17 AM
By the way my BMI is 24.7 just barely in the normal range. I have been doing Body for Life for the last 13 months and watching what a eat and getting regular exercise for the last three years. That is crazy.

fatass! ;)

MamaMia
2/6/2008, 11:19 AM
This thread begs the question...Would you rather have a skinny friend who stinks, or a chubby friend who smells good?

frankensooner
2/6/2008, 11:20 AM
I like having fat friends because it makes me look better. I know the ladies agree with me. ;)

Scott D
2/6/2008, 11:22 AM
This thread begs the question...Would you rather have a skinny friend who stinks, or a chubby friend who smells good?

a chubby friend that smells like twinkees doesn't smell good no matter what they tell you.