PDA

View Full Version : Longar Out

OUSKINS
2/5/2008, 01:06 PM
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet....Capel said earlier on the BBJ show that he does not expect Longar to play against UT due to injury. Didn't really catch any details. Just made a really tough game MUCH, MUCH tougher.

Ash
2/5/2008, 01:22 PM
He's been trying to play with a stress fracture. Guess it finally caught up to him.

That sucks. Four guard line-up?...Blake's banged up, too, probably already playing more minutes than he should...

cheezyq
2/5/2008, 01:23 PM
I'll be surprised if we make it through the end of the conference season with 5 players on our roster. Yeesh.

Collier11
2/5/2008, 01:47 PM
stress fracture could be as small as shin splints which can heal with rest(still very painful, trust me) or an actual small break, either way this is a blow

Civicus_Sooner
2/5/2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks again Moose!

:rolleyes:

Boomer.....
2/5/2008, 02:04 PM
He said Blake could not make it all the way through practice on Monday. I hope he didn't come back too soon and it hurts him in the end.

Ground_Attack
2/5/2008, 02:21 PM
so our only healthy option on the front court is Taylor Griffin? Any cheap fouls and we are in trouble.

Collier11
2/5/2008, 02:46 PM
The Legend of Beu Gerber begins my friends!! :)

King Crimson
2/5/2008, 03:15 PM
that sucks out loud.

stoopified
2/5/2008, 05:55 PM
What happened to OUr b-ball player footballers?I don't know how much good they would do us BUT any big bodies that get pt would help at least a little.

kevpks
2/5/2008, 06:10 PM
What happened to OUr b-ball player footballers?I don't know how much good they would do us BUT any big bodies that get pt would help at least a little.

I wouldn't mind seeing Loadholt or Duke post somebody up.

SeattleOUstudent
2/5/2008, 07:00 PM
Gresham....seriously. AHS PRIDE, baby!

OKC-SLC
2/5/2008, 09:26 PM
Capel is doing a hell of a job this season considering the early tough schedule, loss of Moose, and the injuries.

Blue
2/6/2008, 01:10 AM
We'll need some hot outside shooting. I got a feeling we'll win this one by 10+ for some reason.

Boomer.....
2/6/2008, 08:37 AM
If Godbold plays like he did on Saturday, we will be okay, but our outside shooting has been hot and cold all season.

Crocker needs to have a good game. He is due.

OUSKINS
2/6/2008, 09:14 AM
Gotta favor UT tonight w/o Longar. With L2, I would have called it a 50/50 game. We've been really good in those games, so I think we would have had a great chance to pull it out.

Minus L2, I'm leaning heavily toward the Horns tonight.

Basically, we have no room for error. Blake needs to be extremely good, not just "solid." Taylor needs to stay on the floor, and at least two of the starting guards (Johson, Gdbold, Crocker) need to be efficient and hit shots. We could probaly afford for one of them to be "off" if Blake is playing well, but we'll need at least two to contribute.

I have no doubt we'll scrap and play hard. I would be surprised if UT won this game easily. However, the reality is that missing Longar is a huge blow against a top 15 type of team.

What gives me hope?

1. Blake. He has superstar potential and thus the ability to elevate his game on a big stage.

2. Capel. I'm a believer, and I could see him finding a way to win this one.

But if there was a gun to my head.......

crawfish
2/6/2008, 10:17 AM
It's gonna be tough without Longar. Crocker's gonna have to play a lot of PF today for us to make it. TG needs to watch his fouling. UT isn't as good or deep as A&M up front, but Damion James <spit> should give us fits when BG isn't in the game.

Ash
2/7/2008, 12:11 AM
:( :( :(

Sooners C Longar out indefinitely with broken leg

Associated Press
Updated: February 6, 2008,

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) - Oklahoma center Longar Longar will be out indefinitely with a broken bone in his right leg.

Sooners coach Jeff Capel said he doesn't have a timeframe for Longar's return because of the nature of the injury, which caused him to sit out the Sooners' 64-54 loss to No. 12 Texas on Wednesday night.

"I don't know what you would call it. It's right above the ankle," Capel said. "He broke it the first 3 minutes at Texas A&M, so he played his butt off and showed a lot of toughness in that game to play the last 13 minutes.

"I can't tell you when he's coming back because it depends on how quickly it heals. Mother Nature has something to do with it. There's not much treatment you can do for a broken bone."

Capel was hopeful the 6-foot-11 Longar, the team's second-leading scorer at 13.2 points per game, would be able to play again this season but didn't rule out the possibility he wouldn't return.

"We think so, but maybe not. I don't know. I'm hearing we are, but I don't know," Capel said.

The Sooners (15-7, 3-4 Big 12) lost Blake Griffin earlier this season to a sprained ligament in his left knee, but he missed only one full game when he was expected to be out as long as four weeks. Several other Oklahoma players have been fighting through lingering injuries.

"I've never been around anything like what I've been through the past year and a half with guys getting hurt - ever," Capel said. "I've never seen anything like it in my life."

OUSKINS
2/7/2008, 08:59 AM
I think this is probably the death-blow for the season. If Longar were back over the next few games, we could probably survive, but reading between the lines, this sounds as if it's going to last awhile. Maybe he'll be back late in the season/conference tourney time, but my guess is that it will be too late by then.

By "too late," I mean earning an at-large bid for the Dance.

We're 3-4 in conference, and I think we need to get to 9-7 to be in good shape. That's 6-3 the rest of the way. I'm not sure we can beat any of the top tier teams w/o L2, and many of the games against middling teams become toss-ups.

For example, with a healthy Longar, I'd pick us to go 4-0 or 3-1 at worst over the next 4 games (CU, ISU, Tech, Baylor). Without Longar, I think 2-2 is most realistic-- and that won't be good enough.