PDA

View Full Version : My pre-spring Big 12 Football rankings.

OU_Sooners75
2/5/2008, 04:21 AM
North

1. Missouri
2. Kansas
3. Colorado
4. Nebraska
5. Iowa State
6. Kansas State

South

1. Oklahoma
2. Texas
3. Texas Tech
4. Oklahoma State
5. Texas A&M
6. Baylor

Overall

1. Oklahoma
2. Missouri
3. Texas
4. Texas Tech
5. Kansas
6. Colorado
7. Oklahoma State
8. Texas A&M
9. Nebraska
10. Iowa State
11. Kansas State
12. Baylor

MojoRisen
2/5/2008, 10:06 AM
Something tells me Tech beats Texas this year - if they play and if not at least in the standings.

Theskipster
2/5/2008, 10:30 AM
The only difference between the final 2007 results and your early results are the placement of the bottom three in the North.

Which was

4. Kansas State (3-5)
5. Nebraska (2-6)
6. Iowa State (2-6)

The south is always pretty much the same this decade so you can't go wrong just repeating last years order and putting OU on top.

But the the North is really about running the gauntlet of the South for the North's top spots.

I would probably put Colorado above Kansas. Kansas has to play OU (In Norman), Texas (at Lawrence) , and Texas Tech (at Lawrence) for their South schedule and Colorado has Texas (at Boulder), Texas A&M (at College Station), and Oklahoma State (at Boulder).

Missouri should be as good as last year and gets Texas(at Austin) , Baylor (at Waco) and Oklahoma State (in Columbia) so they really are the team to beat up north.

I would also take K-State out of the gutter. Ron Prince isn't a horrible coach and K-State has more talent than a gutter team. They should be able to take out Iowa State at the very least. They do have a tougher South schedule with Oklahoma (in Manhattan), Tech (in Manhattan), and A&M (at College Station).

I never like a team's chances with a new coach in their first year regardless of the talent he inherits. And I really don't think Nebraska has the talent to win much at all. Just look at four of their starters last year.
http://www.theskipster.com/images/girlshirts.jpg
They get Oklahoma (At Norman), Baylor (in Lincoln), and Tech (in Lubbock) for the south schedule.

Iowa State has the easiest South schedule with Baylor (at Waco), Oklahoma State (at Stillwater), A&M (in Ames). But does anyone really think Chizik can change Iowa State's gutter status in 2 years?

I see the North more likely ending up

1. Missouri
2. Colorado
3. Kansas
4. Kansas State
5. Nebraska
6. Iowa State

OUmillenium
2/5/2008, 12:13 PM
^ = good post

randu
2/5/2008, 01:04 PM
Something tells me Tech beats Texas this year - if they play and if not at least in the standings.
They play every year.

OSUAggie
2/6/2008, 11:12 AM
North

1. Kansas
2. Missouri
3. Colorado
4. Kansas State
5. Nebraska
6. Iowa State

South

1. Oklahoma
2. Texas
3. Texas Tech
4. Oklahoma State
5. Texas A&M
6. Baylor

I'll take a solid Kansas over a flashy Mizzou in the North, but I wouldn't be shocked if both fell back to mediocrity next season. Nebraska has a year or two to acclimate, but should be better defensively (hard not to be). This will be a big year for Hawkins. Chizik has a long road in Ames.

In the South, OU appears to be the most talented, but some people will have to step up (as per usual) in key positions to offset the early departures. I don't see that as much of an obstacle. Texas might overtake OU depending on Muschamp's ability to instill his defense in a timely manner. Playing the game when it is played doesn't leave much time for growth, so the edge is to OU.

Tech, A&M and OSU will be playin for 3rd (again), while Baylor is in Iowa State's position. If OSU's JUCO defensive players live up to their billing, the D could be much improved to a top-50ish type of defense. If not, the Pokes will likely finish 5th.

Outopia
2/6/2008, 12:51 PM
I don't know OSU Aggie. I think eveyone is selling A&M short. They have a new coach, and that can only help those guys. I'd have to put them above OSU based on who they have returning and general talent on their team. Heck, I am worried about OU vs A&M in Collie Station. If OSU finishes above them it is because (A.) They play at OSU (A&M has done well there historically) and (B.) They (OSU) play better against the North part of the schedule with better results. I see OSU at anywhere between 5-7 to 7-5. Anything more is over-achievement and cause to give Gundy COY. If they drop one at WSU (and they shouldn't, but sure could) or do their usual fade to a lesser opponent in Conf play somewhere, then they will finnish about 6-6 to best case 8-4. They have a pretty easy non-conference schedule. Problem with finnishing better is they go to a better bowl, but sure could lose there. OSU has played a ham-strung Alabama, and a paper tiger Indiana the last two years, What if they get a real team, ala tOSU again. They could get exposed because of their light schedule. I just do not believe in their (OSU) defense, and their offense is not very deep. OSU lost two of their three best playmakers on offense, and have no proven depth at WR or TE. They are an injury away from fighting it out with Baylor for last in the Big Twelve South. I think OSU improves marginally on defense, but I also think they will not be as effective on offense without Bowman, Savage, and Fedora. It will be a wash. Gut prediction from me in Feb '08 is 6-6. Gundy doesn't have it as a game day coach.

ric311
2/7/2008, 06:39 PM
I see the North more likely ending up

1. Missouri
2. Colorado
3. Kansas
4. Kansas State
5. Nebraska
6. Iowa State

Agreed. Missouri is still the team to beat in the North. I think CU should handle the rest of the North teams, even Kansas. KSU gets the corn in Manhattan this year, so putting them one spot ahead of *ebraska makes sense.

utex74
2/8/2008, 11:29 PM

We play every year. And it is in Lubbock. That game always worries me.

soonergooner
2/9/2008, 06:19 AM
Am I too overly concerned with what the new def coor at tu will bring? Heard lots of good stuff bout him, and his comment bout the massages at tu were priceless..

effay
2/11/2008, 12:21 AM
I have a hard time rating Iowa State over anyone next year without Meyer, Blythe and Barkema.

effay
2/11/2008, 12:27 AM
I think eveyone is selling A&M short. They have a new coach, and that can only help those guys.

Anyone's better than Fran, but I think they will need a year or two to get rid of his legacy. Seriously, how many wins is Sherman going to be able to get once he starts making Stephen McGee pass the ball?

goingoneight
2/11/2008, 12:32 AM
Coming out of high school, Stephen McGee was known for his arm. Fran made him into something he's not, really. I mean, he runs that strong-side option okay by now but he can sling a ball every bit as good as the rest of the BIG 12 guys. It's just a matter of the rest of the offense making a passing game happen around him. You need receivers and pass-blocking tailored to that style of play.