bstuff1979
2/4/2008, 07:22 PM
anyone here anything about this? kinda out of the blue

tommieharris91
2/4/2008, 07:25 PM
Just reported on ESPN. YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!

SoonerStormchaser
2/4/2008, 07:27 PM
per ESPN: Bobby Knight has resigned at TTech effective immediately!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Celebrations in Norman and Bloomington (especially at the Capel, Sampson and Longar households) have begun.

Let the speculation as to why begin. My bet is that he choked a bitch!:pop:

Czar Soonerov
2/4/2008, 07:43 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/classic/0913/a_knight_t.jpg

LilSooner
2/4/2008, 07:44 PM
per ESPN: Bobby Knight has resigned at TTech effective immediately!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Celebrations in Norman and Bloomington (especially at the Capel, Sampson and Longar households) have begun.

And he's outta here! (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23000229/site/21683474/)

Flying Scotsman
2/4/2008, 07:49 PM
...like Kubla Kahn!!

Stoop Dawg
2/4/2008, 08:07 PM

Texas Tech would not fire anyone for lack of character (or they wouldn't have hired him in the first place). It almost certainly has to be something borderline illegal. Given his history, I'd say some form of assault.

Stoop Dawg
2/4/2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah, "stepping down", that's it.

2/4/2008, 08:09 PM
One thing about Knight, I'll doubt the reason will be much of a mystery by noon tomorrow.

Like him or hate him, he is a straight shooter.

2/4/2008, 08:12 PM
I'm thinking the odd timing would have something to do with the university president stepping down (do they even have an interem president yet?), NCAA stuff (doubtful) or health.

Or maybe he and Leach are just going to move to Mexico for the fishing.

SOONER STEAKER
2/4/2008, 08:29 PM
There is something fishy here. I just can't see him quitting on his players and fans for the hell of it. Health issues that we don't know about maybe

John Kochtoston
2/4/2008, 08:33 PM
http://lubbockonline.com/stories/020408/loc_243647726.shtml

Straight from the horse's ***. Either he pulled yet another something, or he's an even bigger ********* than I thought by leaving his team in the middle of the season.

SoonerStormchaser
2/4/2008, 08:34 PM
You know, I'm sure there will be defenders coming on this board telling us about all his great accomplishments as a coach. And I'm not going to dispute those. But I still say GOOD RIDDANCE!

Ever since he got to Lubbock he's been nothing but a whiny little bitch and a bully. He's still mouthing off about the "clock game." Dude, it was a MISTAKE...FIVE YEARS AGO! And then there's him calling out LL as a "goon" and "thug" after an ACCIDENT coming from a clearing move that I've seen occur in nearly every single basketball game. And then there's the "Salad Bar Incident," need I say more?

Bobby, the game has passed you by. You shoulda left the game when Indiana canned your sorry *** earlier this decade. But no, you had to go pass Dean Smith on the all-time wins list...and it cost you what was left of your dignity to this Sooner fan. Good riddance!

birddog
2/4/2008, 08:35 PM
he's quitting because he was just informed that in fact lives in lubbock.

and his team is the most boring to watch in the country.

John Kochtoston
2/4/2008, 08:51 PM
he's quitting because he was just informed that in fact lives in lubbock.

and his team is the most boring to watch in the country.

Has Sean Sutton been informed of this?

John Kochtoston
2/4/2008, 08:53 PM
I'm thinking the odd timing would have something to do with the university president stepping down (do they even have an interem president yet?), NCAA stuff (doubtful) or health.

Or maybe he and Leach are just going to move to Mexico for the fishing.

Maybe he's finally got a court date in Puerto Rico, and he wanted to clear his schedule.

Alum81
2/4/2008, 08:54 PM
One thing about bullies, when they can't bully anymore, they realize they have no worth in life and nobody cares about them........

maybe he's finally seen the light

stoops the eternal pimp
2/4/2008, 08:55 PM
whose gonna tell the big 12 officials how to call their games now?

Curly Bill
2/4/2008, 09:22 PM
whose gonna tell the big 12 officials how to call their games now?

I did like that he gave the officials hell...sportswriters too. :D

Salt City Sooner
2/4/2008, 09:35 PM
"When Myles Brand took over at Indiana, he had one mission; to get rid of Bob Knight."

-Digger Phelps about 5 minutes ago on Sportscenter-

What a crock.

Salt City Sooner
2/4/2008, 09:55 PM
Check out skyvue's post. He absolutely nailed it.

Sissified?? SISSIFIED?

What nonsense.

Sissy is whining about 1.5 seconds worth of timekeeping error -- a mistake your team could easily have overcome in overtime -- and doing so not for an hour or a day but for weeks on end.

Sissy is not just whining about the call, but calling the character of the opposition program into question -- not for an hour or a day but weeks on end.

Sissy is going on TV years later when to crow when that same opponent suffers a football loss -- football, mind you, not basketball -- thanks to officiating screwups that were a national scandal.

Sissy is using your ill-gained influence and whining abilities to trash the reputation of and bring about the suspension of a fine young man just because, in the course of a game, one of your players got hurt on a common basketball play that occurs in 99.9% of games played around this country.

I could go on and on. The man is not a tough guy; he's the polar opposite of that. Bullies are at heart sissies. Real men don't have to behave that way.

I'm fed up to here with fans on this board -- even aggies -- defending and even praising this *** for doing what every decent coach in the country does. Being there for former players? What coach DOESN'T do that, for pete's sake?

It's the best thing that could have happened for the Big 12 to get rid of this clown. I knew he'd bring shame on the conference the day his hiring was announced and he did just that.

His bone fides as a coach are unquestioned (though he's not done much in many years), but his act is beyond tired. Good riddance to bad garbage.

http://ouinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47310&page=2

OUTromBoNado
2/4/2008, 10:22 PM
I think that makes :eddie: have the most wins out of active coaches now.

John Kochtoston
2/4/2008, 11:24 PM
Check out skyvue's post. He absolutely nailed it.

http://ouinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47310&page=2

I'd pile on, but this guy's said all that I could.

Dio
2/4/2008, 11:55 PM
First Bellicheat, now this. It's a bad week for *******s.

goingoneight
2/5/2008, 01:39 AM
Watch him go to OSU when Sean gets canned! :D

sooner518
2/5/2008, 01:41 AM
Pat Forde wrote a great article ripping him a new one: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3230826&sportCat=ncb

He makes an interesting observation: Knight retires with 902 wins. Hmmm, think he cared about #900 after all? Hypocritical Liar. good riddance

Ground_Attack
2/5/2008, 02:11 AM
yeah, Forde figuratively tore him a new *******.

birddog
2/5/2008, 02:37 AM
Has Sean Sutton been informed of this?

nah, knight had ratboy whipped in the futility department.

virginiasooner
2/5/2008, 09:27 AM
Makes me think that the quail hunting incident was a lot more serious than what we saw on YouTube. Yeah, Waymon Tisdale was on the Olympic b-ball team that Knight coached in 1984 and won a gold medal, but since no one else has said it, I will:

DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YA WHERE THE GOOD LORD SPLIT YA.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/5/2008, 10:11 AM
Texas Tech would not fire anyone for lack of character

They prove this with their sand aggie football fans parading the goal posts around, ripping chairs and beches out of the football stadium and throwing them at the opposing (UT) fans, putting up tacky billboards, ad nauseum...

TheHumanAlphabet
2/5/2008, 10:12 AM
He makes an interesting observation: Knight retires with 902 wins. Hmmm, think he cared about #900 after all? Hypocritical Liar. good riddance

Same for the drunk and #800, err, :eddie:

BigRedJed
2/5/2008, 11:28 AM
Man, Forde was dead on.

You'll hear a lot in the coming days about Bob Knight doing this "on his terms." Of course he did. When has Bob Knight ever done anything that was not on his terms? He is a walking one-way street.

The irony of this is where Knight's terms left him in the end.

Knight's terms left him at a remote basketball backwater on the Texas prairie, where the stands at the home gym are rarely full. Knight's terms left him a bit player on the national stage, his relevance leaking steadily as he made Texas Tech basketball better but couldn't make it matter.

Knight's terms left him far from the basketball mecca where he had his greatest glory and became a polarizing icon in the sport.

If Knight had been willing to budge off "his terms" -- to treat people with the respect he always demanded, to refrain from bullying, to avoid the abusive behavior -- this moment would be far different.
Good riddance, Bobby.

GrapevineSooner
2/5/2008, 12:06 PM
He just realized Dan Beebe isn't as easy to bully as Kevin Weiberg was.

SleestakSooner
2/5/2008, 02:21 PM
damn I'll miss heckling him

stoopified
2/6/2008, 04:58 PM
I'd pile on, but this guy's said all that I could.TRue dat.I fail to understand how ANYONE can defend Knight.He is a profane,aarogant(to the point of hubris),narrow-minded,pig-headed PUNK.

GrapevineSooner
2/6/2008, 05:29 PM
There's alot to dislike about him. But as this article points out (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=dw-knight020408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns), he did try to recruit the right way.

I, as the father of a daugher, especially liked this point:

When Knight got to Texas Tech in 2001, his assistants found out the school had a group of pretty coeds, the Raider Recruiters, who would give campus tours to recruits. This is NCAA legal and standard at virtually all major schools, some of which encourage it to go beyond the "here's the library" stage.

But Knight had never had such a group at Indiana because NCAA legal or not, he felt it was ridiculous and inappropriate.

Still, the assistants saw a chance to get, at least a little, on even ground with other schools they were recruiting against. They were always suffering in signing players. In 42 seasons Knight coached just one NBA all-star (Isiah Thomas) and now they were way out here on the South Plains.

So they told the chief Raider Recruiter to give the tours but never, ever, under any circumstance, talk to Knight. It worked for about two weeks until she decided to pop into Knight's office anyway to introduce herself.

And that was the end of the Raider Recruiters.

"Our players are our hosts," Knight ruled.