PDA

View Full Version : Illegals on the move...

Harry Beanbag
2/4/2008, 05:14 PM
HOUSTON - Illegal immigrants are coming into Texas, but not from where one might think.

The rush is coming from Arizona, Oklahoma and other states - places that have recently passed tough new anti-illegal immigrant laws.

The two toughest measures are in Arizona and Oklahoma.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0203immigrant-ON.html

TheHumanAlphabet
2/4/2008, 05:32 PM
:(

Wake up Texas, you need to pass similar legislation!

crawfish
2/4/2008, 05:34 PM
This is a lot like when I put fire ant killer on my lawn at my old house, and my chiropractor neighbor didn't believe in using chemicals.

His lawn became fire ant central. :D

Tear Down This Wall
2/4/2008, 05:44 PM
This is a lot like when I put fire ant killer on my lawn at my old house, and my chiropractor neighbor didn't believe in using chemicals.

His lawn became fire ant central. :D

Beautiful! I love neighbor wars. This one is the best, a classic: http://www.xmission.com/~thayne/archive/jd8/redneck.htm

SoonerStormchaser
2/4/2008, 07:02 PM
That's why I'm seeing a whole lot more Spanish speaking down here.

Ike
2/4/2008, 09:37 PM
That's why I'm seeing a whole lot more Spanish speaking down here.

Is spanish sign language significantly different from American sign language?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/4/2008, 09:38 PM
Is spanish sign language significantly different from American sign language?

you have to be able to roll your fingers well

Curly Bill
2/4/2008, 09:40 PM
So, if every state passed these here tough laws, or perhaps we passed a tough federal law, what are the chances we could get them headed back to Mexico?

Ike
2/4/2008, 09:43 PM
So, if every state passed these here tough laws, or perhaps we passed a tough federal law, what are the chances we could get them headed back to Mexico?

I think it's probably less than a lot of people would think.

Right now, that there are states with far less tough laws mean that they will move rather freely from tough-law states to non-tough law states. But if all 50 states had similar laws regarding illegal immigrants, they'd have to make a judgement on whether life in the states is riskier or worse than life in Mexico (or wherever else). I imagine a lot would choose to stay in the states.

IOW: Oklahoma > Texas > Mexico

Jimminy Crimson
2/4/2008, 09:45 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0203immigrant-ON.html

[HB 1804 opponents]It's not even working!!![/HB1804 opponents]

:rolleyes:

Curly Bill
2/4/2008, 09:48 PM
they'd have to make a judgement on whether life in the states is riskier or worse than life in Mexico (or wherever else).

So you're sayin we need to have an open season on 'em so their life would be more risky here, and then they would go back?

edit...;)

mikeelikee
2/4/2008, 10:03 PM
Hmmmm....more anecdotal evidence HB 1804 is working. Thank you, state legislature!

usmc-sooner
2/4/2008, 10:06 PM
I think it's probably less than a lot of people would think.

Right now, that there are states with far less tough laws mean that they will move rather freely from tough-law states to non-tough law states. But if all 50 states had similar laws regarding illegal immigrants, they'd have to make a judgement on whether life in the states is riskier or worse than life in Mexico (or wherever else). I imagine a lot would choose to stay in the states.

IOW: Oklahoma > Texas > Mexico

We need to do something that would allow worthy canidates to move thru the system a little faster. I'm all for hard working Mexicans making a better life for themselves, that is the American dream. I'm against the gang infestation, drug runners, and the exploitation and the slave labor that many of these people endure.

Ike
2/4/2008, 10:11 PM
We need to do something that would allow worthy canidates to move thru the system a little faster. I'm all for hard working Mexicans making a better life for themselves, that is the American dream. I'm against the gang infestation, drug runners, and the exploitation and the slave labor that many of these people endure.

I completely agree. In addition, I think that we have cut back on the quotas of immigrants that we allow in the first place, which I think is a problem. I think we need to fix that. Yes, we do want to attract the best and brightest to come here, but in addition, I think that there is a lot we can gain by having simply some of the hardest workers here. Those people aren't always the best or the brightest at whatever they do, but they make positive contributions to society just the same.

Whether that needs to be fixed before or after the Great Wall of America gets built is for other people to argue...

CatfishSooner
2/4/2008, 10:21 PM
I'm ready for a Great Wall of America...

Jerk
2/4/2008, 10:22 PM
The illegals are going down to Georgia

http://www.twango.com/media/Texas_Patriot.public/Texas_Patriot.10004

Mixer!
2/4/2008, 11:18 PM
Oh.

My.

God.

:eek:

Jimminy Crimson
2/4/2008, 11:54 PM

That's hilarious. Thanks, Jerk!

TheHumanAlphabet
2/5/2008, 09:14 AM

Only if the hard working Mexicans do it the legal way, enter the country properly on a Visa and abide by the country's and state's laws, get insurance and driver's licenses - legally. Otherwise, kick them out or pass laws that make it very tough for them and then will want to go back home.

All of those politicians who said they couldn't ship everyone back, here's your proof, make it tough, they'll go home on their own...

TheHumanAlphabet
2/5/2008, 09:19 AM

Classic!

usmc-sooner
2/5/2008, 09:45 AM
Only if the hard working Mexicans do it the legal way, enter the country properly on a Visa and abide by the country's and state's laws, get insurance and driver's licenses - legally. Otherwise, kick them out or pass laws that make it very tough for them and then will want to go back home.

All of those politicians who said they couldn't ship everyone back, here's your proof, make it tough, they'll go home on their own...

of course

Tulsa_Fireman
2/5/2008, 09:54 AM
http://members.cox.net/firemanat25s/texicanflag.jpg

http://www.esreality.com/files/placeimages/2007/57367-simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

SOONER STEAKER
2/5/2008, 10:04 AM
If all the Mexicans were deported, who would cook at the hotels, clean the rooms, cut the grass, build the drainage ditches?

I agree all illegals should get work visas and those that aren't working need to go home, if they are here working and making America a better place to live. I think companies who have illegals should be able to sponsor there illegal employees and be held resposible for them and make sure they are paying taxes, have car insurance and health insurance.

If all Mexicans are deported, whose gonna go into the fields and pick our fruit and vegetables?

Just something to think about?

TheHumanAlphabet
2/5/2008, 10:08 AM
If all the Mexicans were deported, who would cook at the hotels, clean the rooms, cut the grass, build the drainage ditches?

I agree all illegals should get work visas and those that aren't working need to go home, if they are here working and making America a better place to live. I think companies who have illegals should be able to sponsor there illegal employees and be held resposible for them and make sure they are paying taxes, have car insurance and health insurance.

If all Mexicans are deported, whose gonna go into the fields and pick our fruit and vegetables?

People would fill those jobs, or we could require welfare receivers and prisones to do the jobs. Lets not import a class of people to work. If they want to work and BECOME "U.S. Americans", then let them do it legally.

SanJoaquinSooner
We need worker visa reform. The H2A and H2B visa programs are dysfunctional. They don't meet our insatiable demands for labor. That is why we have a black market of labor, leading to 5% of our workforce illegally present.

Tulsa_Fireman

Okies! My grandpa!

Wait...

That's right. We as americans don't DO manual labor any more.

sooner_born_1960

The Irish, of course. Or the Italians.

SOONER STEAKER
2/5/2008, 11:14 AM
The Irish, of course. Or the Italians.

And they'll hire the Mexicans. :D :D Oh hell, I'm an Irish American. :eek:

r5TPsooner
2/5/2008, 11:59 AM

I agree all illegals should get work visas and those that aren't working need to go home, if they are here working and making America a better place to live. I think companies who have criminals working for them, should be able to sponsor their criminals whom they employee and be held resposible for them and make sure they are paying taxes, have car insurance and health insurance.

If all Mexican criminals are deported, whose gonna go into the fields and pick our fruit and vegetables?

Fixed! Great idea BTW.:rolleyes:

Vaevictis
2/5/2008, 12:19 PM

(...)

The same damned people who did these things before: Americans.

I hate this damned meme, especially when it comes out of the mouths of "free market advocates."

It's real simple: Supply gets constrained by the illegal immigrants vacating the market forcing wages to rise. Wages rise, and people who are willing to do the job at the new wage enter the market. Wages will continue to rise and workers will continue to enter until the market achieves equilibrium.

Flagstaffsooner
2/5/2008, 12:43 PM
If all the Mexicans were deported, who would cook at the hotels, clean the rooms, cut the grass, build the drainage ditches

No prob (http://www.hireosugrads.com/)