PDA

View Full Version : Question for those of you in/were in the military

Melo
2/4/2008, 02:10 PM
Here's the run down on what I am thinking:

I really love my job, but its fairly temporary. I do NOT want to work in a bar forever. I dislike school, for some reason. Even when I pay for it, I cant seem to find motivation to even CARE about doing well. I fail at so many things, even when I try, that trying just seems like wasted effort. For awhile, my boyfriend was the only thing keeping my life in any sort of order, I was happy and I felt like I was going somewhere. Now things between us are not well, and its given me much opportunity to sit and think about my life.

And I have come to the conclusion that if I cant get my sh*t in gear by this summer and figure out what I am doing with class and a career, I am going to sign up. It seems like if I cant find out what I am doing with myself, cant find any discipline to do anything, and cant get a decent paycheck, then the military can help me with that.

I was talking to my friend about it. Her fiancee is joining the airforce. We were just talking about what we know about the different branches, etc etc. She mentioned she thought that the army had a sort of buddy system. I have no idea.

What I am trying to find out is, Ive talked to recruiters before, and they tell me good things. Id really like some honest opinions, advice, information, what-have-you. TIA.

NormanPride
2/4/2008, 02:16 PM
I have often wished I had the testicular fortitude to risk my life for my country.

Mjcpr
2/4/2008, 02:17 PM
This oughta get good.

Hamhock
2/4/2008, 02:17 PM
my dad and his buddy joined on the buddy plan. they saw each other when they stepped off the bus at basic, and again 4 years later when they got out.

olevetonahill
2/4/2008, 02:20 PM
I think the Buddy plan Is fer real Now .
for what your wanting to accomplish, Just join Up .
By yourself . Figure out what you Like and Odds are you will get trained to it very well .
I say Go for It .

sooner_born_1960
I know I'll sleep better knowing the person you just described is standing watch.

Howzit
Enlist and go get yourself knocked up by some nice general.

Melo
2/4/2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for all the serious answers, everyone, because I was TOTALLY joking about it all.

SoonerStormchaser
2/4/2008, 02:28 PM
Melo,
Do you have a college degree?

Mjcpr
2/4/2008, 02:29 PM
Oh, you guys are asses!

critical_phil
2/4/2008, 02:31 PM
here's something honest: the military will solve a steady paycheck problem, but not decent paycheck problem.

ywia.

Melo
2/4/2008, 02:32 PM
Melo,

Nope...

Flagstaffsooner
2/4/2008, 02:38 PM
I think it is a good option. Not the greatest pay but job security and good benifits and retirement. Go USAF.... better tech training and less risk of...shall we say jihad fodder. I enjoyed it and wish I had stayed in.

I think all of the branches have a buddy system. Dont worry about that you will meet new buddies (some of the best that you will ever know).

sooner_born_1960
2/4/2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks for all the serious answers, everyone, because I was TOTALLY joking about it all.
i think you aught to consider it.

SoonerStormchaser
2/4/2008, 02:50 PM
Srsly!

olevetonahill
2/4/2008, 02:56 PM
Except the air force crap
GO ARMY ;)

Flagstaffsooner
2/4/2008, 02:59 PM
Except the air force crap
GO ARMY ;)If you have a low IQ.:P

olevetonahill
2/4/2008, 03:04 PM
If you have a low IQ.:P
I thot about Joining the AF but they wouldnt let
Seems they found Out My Parents was married when I was born .

AggieTool
2/4/2008, 03:06 PM
If you have a low IQ.:P

I tried to join the ARMY ONCE.......

......They said my ASVAB was too high.:rolleyes:

sooner_born_1960
2/4/2008, 03:06 PM
Melo,
Have you not followed the chronicles of Melo at all?

Flagstaffsooner
2/4/2008, 03:22 PM
I thot about Joining the AF but they wouldnt let
Seems they found Out My Parents was married when I was born .If you had joined the USAF you would have missed all of that fun that you tell me about in VN. My wrong.;)

frankensooner
2/4/2008, 03:23 PM
My pops was honored today as Veteran of the Week at the Oklahoma State House. I know it doesn't help you, but I thought it was cool.

Curly Bill
2/4/2008, 03:26 PM
Go Navy! I'd sign up to do the crypto stuff... top secret communiactions and all that. To be more specific you want to be a CTO, CTA or CTM, I would not opt for the CTT or CTI stuff.

Flagstaffsooner
2/4/2008, 03:28 PM
Go Navy! That sea duty is fun. So is vomiting.;)

Curly Bill
2/4/2008, 03:31 PM
That sea duty is fun. So is vomiting.;)

I was a CTO and missed out on the sea duty. :D

Three years in Misawa Japan.

olevetonahill
2/4/2008, 03:36 PM
If you had joined the USAF you would have missed all of that fun that you tell me about in VN. My wrong.;)
There is that .

HskrGrl
2/4/2008, 04:14 PM
One of my best friends from high school joined the military for pretty much the exact same reason you listed. She had no direction of what she wanted to do and didn't want to go back to school. She ended up getting a medical discharge because she couldn't handle it emotionally. On top of that she got raped about a week before she left. :(

olevetonahill
2/4/2008, 04:32 PM
One of my best friends from high school joined the military for pretty much the exact same reason you listed. She had no direction of what she wanted to do and didn't want to go back to school. She ended up getting a medical discharge because she couldn't handle it emotionally. On top of that she got raped about a week before she left. :(
Good times

usmc-sooner
2/4/2008, 05:01 PM
Melo, what field do you want to go into. I loved the Marines but you really have to want to be a Marine, I know guys who just wanted to get their college paid for, and they were miserable.

If I were a girl, I'd probably go Air Force, lots of technical useful fields. They also have a lot places you can be stationed.

Harry Beanbag
2/4/2008, 05:07 PM
If you don't like school then be careful with what job you plan on doing in the military. I was always bored with school and hated what I considered to be the superfluous busy work aspect of it, joined the Navy and was immediately immersed in a 2 year academic program that puts any bachelor degree program to shame. :(

There are many jobs in the military that require great sacrifices of your time, energy, personal life, and safety. Some of them you'll get a full nights sleep, some of them you'll get 4 hours of sleep a day (and not all at one time). If you are a halfway intelligent individual, you will be driven crazy by the total idiocy you will have to put up with from flat out dumb people on a daily basis, but you also may be lucky enough to work closely with the brightest people you will ever meet. You will get paid the exact same amount as the ****bag next to you that doesn't do 1/4 of the work that you do, but this will also cause you to form strong bonds with others that you work shoulder to shoulder with to get the job done.

I hated it and loved it. I'm proud to have served and wouldn't change it a bit. After it's all over you will be a veteran, and nobody can take that pride and accomplishment away from you.

texas bandman
2/4/2008, 05:10 PM
I'm retired military (disability). If you lack discipline, it will really will help in that area. It also was a way for me to afford my college degree. Right now, I don't know if I'd recommend my sons join the army due to the elective war in which we are participating. Maybe Air Force, or Navy, but then of course I never had a hard corp MOS (job). I was an 02 Foxtrot (tuba player). If the Army sends the tuba players into battle, we surely are a lost cause!!!! :D

usmc-sooner
2/4/2008, 05:11 PM
If you don't like school then be careful with what job you plan on doing in the military. I was always bored with school and hated what I considered to be the superfluous busy work aspect of it, joined the Navy and was immediately immersed in a 2 year academic program that puts any bachelor degree program to shame. :(

There are many jobs in the military that require great sacrifices of your time, energy, personal life, and safety. Some of them you'll get a full nights sleep, some of them you'll get 4 hours of sleep a day (and not all at one time). If you are a halfway intelligent individual, you will be driven crazy by the total idiocy you will have to put up with from flat out dumb people on a daily basis, but you also may be lucky enough to work closely with the brightest people you will ever meet. You will get paid the exact same amount as the ****bag next to you that doesn't do 1/4 of the work that you do, but this will also cause you to form strong bonds with others that you work shoulder to shoulder with to get the job done.
I hated it and loved it. I'm proud to have served and wouldn't change it a bit. After it's all over you will be a veteran, and nobody can take that pride and accomplishment away from you.

pretty much hits the nail on the head

1stTimeCaller
2/4/2008, 05:16 PM
yup

you have to remember that I just did it one weekend a month, two weeks in the summer

jk the sooner fan
2/4/2008, 05:58 PM
can you hide all your tattoo's? if you cant, look for something else - they're a discriminator these days

Harry Beanbag
2/4/2008, 06:03 PM
Yeah, they don't like your ears to look like this either.

http://z.about.com/d/tattoo/1/0/8/7/hiramtunnel.jpg

Melo
2/4/2008, 06:09 PM
can you hide all your tattoo's? if you cant, look for something else - they're a discriminator these days

I have two WAY tiny hearts on my hands. Everything else is hidden.

I dont know for sure if military is right for me, but I think it deserves to be an option, for me. School, for me, isnt that I do poorly or dont like it, the crux of the matter is that I dont want to pay for school when I dont know what I want to do with myself.

I love to tattoo. My parents, and every other normal person above the age of 30 seem to hate it. So I do it in my spare time. What I REALLY want to do is write books. But apparently, its not enough to want to do just that. I have to go to school. And so not being able to do what I want to do, and not having something to go to school for, I feel very lost. Ambition and drive is there, for me, Im just not allowed to follow through with the things that interest me.

I think if I were able to find something to do in the military, that it might make me happy, and my parents happy, as well. Like I said, Im considering my options, I know this is one of them, and I know there are plenty of people on here who can give me a serious answer, which several have already done through PeeM, which I greatly appreciate.

I just hate this 'floating day-to-day, living in the moment' kind of feeling. Im ready to do something with myself.

Melo
2/4/2008, 06:10 PM
Yeah, they don't like your ears to look like this either.

http://z.about.com/d/tattoo/1/0/8/7/hiramtunnel.jpg

My ears arent THAT big.
Plus... Preparation H does WONDERS for big ear holez...

:D

Im serious.

usmc-sooner
2/4/2008, 06:16 PM
I have two WAY tiny hearts on my hands. Everything else is hidden.

I dont know for sure if military is right for me, but I think it deserves to be an option, for me. School, for me, isnt that I do poorly or dont like it, the crux of the matter is that I dont want to pay for school when I dont know what I want to do with myself.

I love to tattoo. My parents, and every other normal person above the age of 30 seem to hate it. So I do it in my spare time. What I REALLY want to do is write books. But apparently, its not enough to want to do just that. I have to go to school. And so not being able to do what I want to do, and not having something to go to school for, I feel very lost. Ambition and drive is there, for me, Im just not allowed to follow through with the things that interest me.

I think if I were able to find something to do in the military, that it might make me happy, and my parents happy, as well. Like I said, Im considering my options, I know this is one of them, and I know there are plenty of people on here who can give me a serious answer, which several have already done through PeeM, which I greatly appreciate.

I just hate this 'floating day-to-day, living in the moment' kind of feeling. Im ready to do something with myself.

they really frown on tattoes on the hands, neck, and head but I'm sure you could a waiver for hearts. They have journalism schools in the military.

Melo
2/4/2008, 06:27 PM
they really frown on tattoes on the hands, neck, and head but I'm sure you could a waiver for hearts. They have journalism schools in the military.

How could they hate hearts? Theyre cute. Theyre the symbol of love. My own parents dont even hate them.

Do they really have journalism schools? What about jobs involving writing?

Mongo
2/4/2008, 06:33 PM
Plus... Preparation H does WONDERS for big ear holez...

you hear that JM?

oh wait, she said ear holez

olevetonahill
2/4/2008, 06:33 PM
How could they hate hearts? Theyre cute. Theyre the symbol of love. My own parents dont even hate them.

Yup . Talk to a recruiter .

But also If you know a member of the armed forces , Make sure Ya tell em that person sent ya , they get some bennies fer it .

usmc-sooner
2/4/2008, 06:49 PM
yes in the USMC they are fields 4341, 4313 one of them is combat correspondent I don't know if I'd want to push you in that direction.

Scott D
2/4/2008, 06:49 PM
I told the Army that olevet sent me. I don't think they all moved fast enough to show me the exit door.

Curly Bill
2/4/2008, 08:58 PM

Damn, I almost teared up reading this....it is so very true.

olevetonahill
2/4/2008, 09:13 PM
I told the Army that olevet sent me. I don't think they all moved fast enough to show me the exit door.
Thats cause they Remember me being so awesome that My time in the service was wortha Lot to em , sos you didnt have to serve ,
say thank ya Olevet .
;)

reevie
2/4/2008, 10:35 PM
There you go Melo. Talk to recruiters about going into Public Affairs. You can write for the local base/post paper and do press releases. They also have tv stations. You could be on air talent, or write.

There are all kinds of jobs in the military. Just start throwing out your interests and recruiters can help, but make sure you talk to the vets too. They may tell you about the good jobs the recruiters don't.

OUinFLA
2/4/2008, 10:49 PM
I regret that I didn't go into the Navy before I went to college.
The discipline I developed in the service would have gone a long way towards a better gpa in college.
It was easy to skip a class in college ..... In the Navy...... not so much.

However having a degree when I did go into the Navy helped me get a cushy assignment as an instructor in the advanced electronics school.

SoonerGirl06
2/4/2008, 10:51 PM
I think you should go for it Melo. It wouldn't hurt to talk to the recruiter and discuss your options.

Personally I would check out the Air Force or Navy. I think those would be better for what you're looking for.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Life's too short to not do what's going to make you happy and give you the most satisfaction.

JohnnyMack
2/4/2008, 10:53 PM
you hear that JM?

oh wait, she said ear holez

:eddie:

proud gonzo
2/4/2008, 11:04 PM
What I REALLY want to do is write books. But apparently, its not enough to want to do just that. I have to go to school. And so not being able to do what I want to do, and not having something to go to school for, I feel very lost. Ambition and drive is there, for me, Im just not allowed to follow through with the things that interest me.ok, i know this is off topic from the military thing, but i do want to say something about the writing books thing. It's ****ing hard work. And if you can't find the determination to go to school, you won't find the determination to finish a book. I'm not saying you don't have what it takes to write books--that's not my point at all. What I'm saying is that if you want to do something like that, you better damn well find some way to sort things out and stick with it.

I wrote a novel last semester--still working on editing/rewriting, actually--and it's the most difficult thing I've ever worked on. If you're a social person, it's incredibly hard. You can work with other people on editing and talk to other people to share ideas, but you'll write every page by yourself in front of a computer. It's incredibly solitary, and emotionally draining. You have to write every ounce of emotion and thought and energy you have onto the page, and then you'll look at it and think it's crap. It goes from being fun to being a pain in the *** REALLY fast.

I guess this applies to almost anything, not just writing. What I'm really trying to say is that ANYTHING that's going to be lucrative and satisfying is going to take work. It doesn't matter what the interest is; at some point it leaves that fun-happy-carefree-exciting state and you have to be serious. You can't just do what you want all the time. If you want to make it, you have to pick something, stick with it, and do it like you mean it every damn day even if it's the ****tiest day of your life.

CatfishSooner
2/4/2008, 11:17 PM
ok, i know this is off topic from the military thing, but i do want to say something about the writing books thing. It's ****ing hard work. And if you can't find the determination to go to school, you won't find the determination to finish a book. I'm not saying you don't have what it takes to write books--that's not my point at all. What I'm saying is that if you want to do something like that, you better damn well find some way to sort things out and stick with it.

I wrote a novel last semester--still working on editing/rewriting, actually--and it's the most difficult thing I've ever worked on. If you're a social person, it's incredibly hard. You can work with other people on editing and talk to other people to share ideas, but you'll write every page by yourself in front of a computer. It's incredibly solitary, and emotionally draining. You have to write every ounce of emotion and thought and energy you have onto the page, and then you'll look at it and think it's crap. It goes from being fun to being a pain in the *** REALLY fast.

I guess this applies to almost anything, not just writing. What I'm really trying to say is that ANYTHING that's going to be lucrative and satisfying is going to take work. It doesn't matter what the interest is; at some point it leaves that fun-happy-carefree-exciting state and you have to be serious. You can't just do what you want all the time. If you want to make it, you have to pick something, stick with it, and do it like you mean it every damn day even if it's the ****tiest day of your life.

zzzzz....

proud gonzo
2/4/2008, 11:21 PM
zzzzz....yeah, because THAT really contributes to the discussion.

SoonerGirl06
2/4/2008, 11:22 PM
Are you capable of contributing anything meaningful to a conversation?

Seriously. PG is merely providing Melo a perspective that she's had experience with. What's wrong with that?

Quit being so closed minded.

CatfishSooner
2/4/2008, 11:24 PM
:rolleyes: :D

Blue
2/4/2008, 11:26 PM
Just throwing out another option....

Pick up a Bible. See if you get anything out of it. If you find there is a Creator, he more than likely can put purpose in your life. And not just that Rick Warren "Purpose driven to sell books" stuff. A real relationship with the Father who created you specifically to glorify him by living a life pleasing to him. It actually is a fun ride and will put your feet on solid ground.

Even if you don't believe, there are many interesting life lessons and nuggets of wisdom spread throughout it. Psalms and proverbs for example. It's a good read and it just might give you some different perspectives on life and time away from what it sounds like is your worst enemy...Too much thinking. I can relate.

I would do some serious thought on the military thing. That's a big decision. You can learn to motivate and discipline yourself by finding something that gives you something to get up for.

Good luck and I'll be praying for you.

CatfishSooner
2/4/2008, 11:28 PM

Pick up a Bible. See if you get anything out of it. If you find there is a Creator, he more than likely can put purpose in your life. And not just that Rick Warren "Purpose driven to sell books" stuff. A real relationship with the Father who created you specifically to glorify him by living a life pleasing to him. It actually is a fun ride and will put your feet on solid ground.

Even if you don't believe, there are many interesting life lessons and nuggets of wisdom spread throughout it. Psalms and proverbs for example. It's a good read and it just might give you some different perspectives on life and time away from what it sounds like is your worst enemy...Too much thinking. I can relate.

I would do some serious thought on the military thing. That's a big decision. You can learn to motivate and discipline yourself by finding something that gives you something to get up for.

That's GOOD advice...

Melo
2/4/2008, 11:45 PM

Why would you assume that I have never picked up a bible? Why would you assume that I am not religious?

I am thinking about it. I think about a lot of things. I just want to be careful and do whats best for me.

PG - I really appreciate what you said. I know its a lot of hard work. Ive been more into writing short stories and things for many years. I make a point of sitting down almost every night, and just writing, no matter what it is, just to keep doing it. I started with my first idea quite some time ago, and am still working on it, though its still in the early stages.

I have an idea of what kind of person I come off as on this board, but I honestly dont run out every night and party it up. In fact, spending time with other people is usually reserved for the weekends, and when Im at work. The rest of my day and week is spent at home, by myself, doing the things that I do. Im not a complete social butterfly.

More importantly, I dont want friends as badly as I want to do something with my life. Like I said, the ambition and drive is there, Im just not sure which step to take next.

SoonerGirl06
2/4/2008, 11:52 PM
I don't think you come off as anything but a sincere person, who's merely asking for the opinion of others that may be able to offer you the advice/suggestions that you're seeking.

And I for one applaud you for that. Not too many people are willing to listen and or accept the advice/perspective of others and try to gain from that information.

Personally Melo, I think you offer a lot more than most people on here do and think you're going to do just fine with whatever it is you decide to do.

Blue
2/4/2008, 11:52 PM
My apologies if it came off that way. I know I've given you crap in the past and I'm sorry. Your issues really aren't that uncommon for someone your age and the fact that you recognize them puts you ahead of 90% of your peers. I have a feeling you'll be fine.

I actually did party alot. The older I got the lamer it became. I'm not completely done with it as some here could attest. I just know that it's becoming less and less important the older I get. I think about the same stuff as I would imagine many do. I just know that suggestion works for me.

Again, I meant no disrespect.

AggieTool
2/5/2008, 09:24 AM
I regret that I didn't go into the Navy before I went to college.
The discipline I developed in the service would have gone a long way towards a better gpa in college.
It was easy to skip a class in college ..... In the Navy...... not so much.

However having a degree when I did go into the Navy helped me get a cushy assignment as an instructor in the advanced electronics school.

When did you teach ET"A" school?

Okla-homey
2/5/2008, 09:37 AM
I've seen a lot of kids develop into outstanding men and women during military service. I've also seen kids crash and burn because they were'nt mentally prepared to obey anyone's rules.

So, ask yourself this very important question before putting up your right hand. Are you the kind of person who bristles when answered "because I said so" or "because those are the rules" to questions about "why" you have to do a thing?

If you are, you might not be a good fit. If, OTOH, you can do what you're told without an inordinate amount of complaining or passive aggressiveness, the military can make you better than you are right now.

Just my two cents.

Mjcpr
2/5/2008, 09:43 AM
I've been thinking of writing a book too. It's going to be a collection of all of my SO posts copied into Word with some of the text italicized.

JohnnyMack
2/5/2008, 10:10 AM
I think you're funny Catfish.

Pat, not so much.

frankensooner
2/5/2008, 10:54 AM
I've been thinking of writing a book too. It's going to be a collection of all of my SO posts copied into Word with some of the text italicized.
I'd buy that for a dollar!

usmc-sooner
2/5/2008, 12:31 PM
ok, i know this is off topic from the military thing, but i do want to say something about the writing books thing. It's ****ing hard work. And if you can't find the determination to go to school, you won't find the determination to finish a book. I'm not saying you don't have what it takes to write books--that's not my point at all. What I'm saying is that if you want to do something like that, you better damn well find some way to sort things out and stick with it.

Quick question

Did anyone shoot at you while you were working your *** off on the novel? Did you have to sleep in a tent in the sand for a month or two at time? Did you have stand guard over your novel?

Oh my life is so tuff I had to write a novel, wah wah wah can you please quit your bitchin about how tuff you think you've got it.

:D :D :D :D :D I had to do it :D :D :D
PG you can stone me now

frankensooner
2/5/2008, 12:41 PM
Seriously, if you can't write a novel, you should stick to screen plays. ;)

Melo
2/5/2008, 01:27 PM
My apologies if it came off that way. I know I've given you crap in the past and I'm sorry. Your issues really aren't that uncommon for someone your age and the fact that you recognize them puts you ahead of 90% of your peers. I have a feeling you'll be fine.

I actually did party alot. The older I got the lamer it became. I'm not completely done with it as some here could attest. I just know that it's becoming less and less important the older I get. I think about the same stuff as I would imagine many do. I just know that suggestion works for me.

Again, I meant no disrespect.

I didn't really take it offensively, I just thought it was odd that you would assume I had never picked up a bible, or didnt live by it. The tattoos and piercings are about the only thing I do that would be considered 'wrong'. Im not perfect, no one is, and I know in my heart that those things do not make me a bad person.

I've seen a lot of kids develop into outstanding men and women during military service. I've also seen kids crash and burn because they were'nt mentally prepared to obey anyone's rules.

So, ask yourself this very important question before putting up your right hand. Are you the kind of person who bristles when answered "because I said so" or "because those are the rules" to questions about "why" you have to do a thing?

If you are, you might not be a good fit. If, OTOH, you can do what you're told without an inordinate amount of complaining or passive aggressiveness, the military can make you better than you are right now.

Just my two cents.

Ive discussed this very thing with both my uncle and my father. My uncle was a pulmonary doctor in the army, and he always said that as long as you know the game, are prepared to play the game, then youll be fine.

My father had a band student make the Presidents Own years ago. She didnt make it through boot camp because she was too strong willed to listen to anyone.

Me, I can listen and do what Im told, IF I know that that is what I am supposed to do. Parents, boss, etc, tell me to do something, I will do it, no questions asked. Someone my own age, someone not in charge of me telling me what to do, I ask why, and only because I prefer not to be a doormat. I think knowing I have to follow orders, no questions asked would solve the problem right off the bat.

C&CDean
2/5/2008, 02:11 PM
Me, I can listen and do what Im told, IF I know that that is what I am supposed to do. Parents, boss, etc, tell me to do something, I will do it, no questions asked. Someone my own age, someone not in charge of me telling me what to do, I ask why, and only because I prefer not to be a doormat. I think knowing I have to follow orders, no questions asked would solve the problem right off the bat.

You also have to be prepared to take orders from people who are dumber than a box of gonads. It was very frustrating for me to have to follow the direction of someone with half my IQ.

In my case, the military without question saved my life. I was headed straight to the cemetery or the big house, and if it weren't for my good Uncle Sam my handle on this board would probably be Bubba's Bitch and I'd be posting from San Quentin. Or worse.

I will always recommend the military for kids who don't have a clear understanding of where they're heading or how to even start the journey. However, like Homey said, it can change your life for the better, or continue the ruination - all depending on you.

Good luck.

sooner_born_1960
2/5/2008, 02:16 PM
So, Dean is twice as smart as a box of gonads?

fadada1
2/5/2008, 02:19 PM
without going through this entire thread...

when i joined the navy, i was in a state of "disrepair." OU had just booted me to the curb, moved back home, girlfriend dumped me, job sucked, etc... i was looking for something to challenge me and figured the military would be a good thing.

long story short - i did 4 1/2 years active duty, went back to OU and finished in 2 1/2 years (103 credit hours in that time), was a research assistant for a few studies and a teaching assistant for statistics, went to U. of Florida for my masters, and managed to teach and coach a few years at sam houston state.

would i do it again??? you bet your hiney i would!!!! i would make a few different changes to some decisions i made while in the navy (which would have changed my life drastically), but i wouldn't change the experience for the world. i wouldn't be in the place/situation i am today had i not done it.

the military isn't for everyone - especially in today's world. if you're willing to put forth some effort now, your life will be drastically rewarded in the future.

good luck with whatever you choose.

phead903
2/5/2008, 06:34 PM
Melo,

If you are truly interested in tatooing, follow that course - look at related fields such as graphic arts. You don't have to have a "regular" college degree to find work as a graphic artist. Of course it helps, but take some courses at a local vocational school and see how it goes.

Find a job using the skills you learn - if you truly like what you are doing, the money and job satisfaction will follow. People that love what they do are almost universally succesful, because they naturally put more into it that someone that is working "just to pay the bills".

Good Luck!

SoonerGirl06
2/5/2008, 08:20 PM
I think you've received a pretty well rounded perspective of opinions on here Melo. Listen to the posters you respect the most; listen to your instincts because 99% of the time they never fail you and go with what you think will be the best choice for you.

The sacrifices, challenges you make and face now will pay off in the future. I promise.

Rogue
2/5/2008, 08:52 PM
You also have to be prepared to take orders from people who are dumber than a box of gonads. It was very frustrating for me to have to follow the direction of someone with half my IQ.

In my case, the military without question saved my life. I was headed straight to the cemetery or the big house, and if it weren't for my good Uncle Sam my handle on this board would probably be Bubba's Bitch and I'd be posting from San Quentin. Or worse.

I will always recommend the military for kids who don't have a clear understanding of where they're heading or how to even start the journey. However, like Homey said, it can change your life for the better, or continue the ruination - all depending on you.

Good luck.

Yup, yup, and yup!

It's not for everybody but I think about anybody can make it 2,3,or 4 years. That said, one of my most successful buddies from way back in 1st grade days got out after basic and he's not a complete ****head.

I really thought all the inter-service rivalry was just a bunch of hooey when I joined the Army. Due to a few skirmishes with the law, and despite knocking the top off of the ASVAB and linguist tests, the USAF and USN wouldn't take me. USA and USMC were quite welcoming. That should have been a clue. I joined the Army and, after nearly costing me my life, let me life to see my 18th birthday in Iraq, gave me more than the GI Bill and Army College Fund promised, and as others have said...met some great people and lots of turds too.

The USAF really treats their folks better in every way. I can't stress this enough. Unless you have some perverse loyalty to another branch, if you can join the USAF I would go that route if at all possible. Examples later if you want. And think about nursing or something in the medical fields...good schools, good duty stations...real life (post military) skills.

I'm not saying run right out and join because I don't pretend to know what's best for you. If I were to do it over, I'd join the USAF instead. If they'd take me! :D

jk the sooner fan
2/5/2008, 08:59 PM

Good luck.

excellent point and spot on advice

jk2 is quickly learning that his rocky road to where he's now at has included him taking orders from those dumber than gonad types

its helping him grow up

Okla-homey
2/5/2008, 09:29 PM
excellent point and spot on advice

jk2 is quickly learning that his rocky road to where he's now at has included him taking orders from those dumber than gonad types

its helping him grow up

Because, IMHO, the sooner you learn:

1) Everyone will eventually work for someone they consider a moron.

2) If you can keep your head and stay mission focused despite any disdain you feel for the d00d or d00dette in charge, you'll be the kind of person everyone wants to hire.

3) Your self-respect should be derived from giving your job your best efforts, not derived from the particular job you have.

Scott D
2/5/2008, 09:43 PM
Because, IMHO, the sooner you learn:

1) Everyone will eventually work for someone they consider a moron.

2) If you can keep your head and stay mission focused despite any disdain you feel for the d00d or d00dette in charge, you'll be the kind of person everyone wants to hire.

3) Your self-respect should be derived from giving your job your best efforts, not derived from the particular job you have.

pshaw, if you just consider all potential bosses/supervisors as morons before you work for them you're already ahead of the game.

olevetonahill
2/5/2008, 10:31 PM
pshaw, if you just consider all potential bosses/supervisors as Frag magnets before you work for them you're already ahead of the game.
Fixed

SoonerKnight
2/6/2008, 02:31 AM
I joined the Navy to travel and the educational benefits. I would say that the military can be one of the best jobs or the worse job all depends on attitude. I did more in one day than most people do in a few weeks. We worked our asses off. I am proud that I served but i also knew what I wanted. I went in and did my duty and when I left I went to college. I now have a 4 year degree and wouldn't trade any of it. I would say that the Navy is definately a good gig for public affair and the AF as well. The AF really has the best benefits of any branch. You just need to sit down and list your interest and write down the questions you have and talk to various recruiters. The Navy will guarantee you your rate before you go to basic. That is a real plus.

1stTimeCaller
2/6/2008, 02:37 AM
If the question is : Did we get to take grenades and bazooks to the local gun show and sell them?

The answer is no.

olevetonahill
2/6/2008, 03:45 AM
I wanted to Join the Navy but they said NO
all you really want to do Is ride the Waves . :cool:

olevetonahill
2/6/2008, 03:46 AM
If the question is : Did we get to take grenades and bazooks to the local gun show and sell them?

The answer is no.
Dude Did the Navy have Grenades and Basookas ? I dont think so
get back aboard .

jk the sooner fan
2/6/2008, 07:01 AM
Dude Did the Navy have Grenades and Basookas ? I dont think so
get back aboard .

they did, but they kept throwing them into the water, which sort of defeated their purpose

so they were all taken out of the inventory, and sold at gun shows

Curly Bill
2/6/2008, 10:00 AM
they did, but they kept throwing them into the water, which sort of defeated their purpose

so they were all taken out of the inventory, and sold at gun shows

...right out in the open I hear...but don't you have to go to California to get them?