PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever been in this sitcheyashun?

Okla-homey
2/4/2008, 08:52 AM
Bob, my best friend from way back when we were both lieutenants in the Bongo Five Two, is also retired from the USAF. He just accepted a job w/Lockheed as a systems engineer in Orlando FL. That means he'll be moving across state from his current casa on the Redneck Riviera at Ft. Walton to central FL.

I advised him to buy a big house because every third cousin and in-law will be wanting a room at the "Bob Hotel" when they visit MickeyWorld and environs. A bigger place means they won't be flopped down in his personal space.

My question to those of you who live near major turista destinations is, am I right?

Or, is it better to get a small place and tell Cousin Eddie, sorry d00d, "no room for you!"

sooner_born_1960
2/4/2008, 09:06 AM
Does he have kids at home? grandkids?

TheHumanAlphabet
2/4/2008, 10:35 AM
I like the no room for you answer, except for a short visit or dinner...

Preservation Parcels
2/4/2008, 11:09 AM
My neighbor said that her taxes and homeowner's insurance have shot up $7K in the past couple of years on her Naples, Florida, six weeks/winter Snowbird Place. Bob may want to check on the total cost of having a big home there. On the other hand, the out-of-control costs are driving down the cost of real estate.

How much company does he enjoy? Another thing to think about is that most guests just want a place to sleep and shower, not all-day/all night entertainment with the host. Extra bathroom(s) may be more important than multiple extra bedrooms. Other options may include establishing a relationship with the manager of a couple of nice hotels nearby, pull-out beds in one or more multi-purpose rooms, or setting up a tent or camper in the back yard. Kids can always camp on the floor in sleeping bags.

It all comes down to whether he wants to encourage or discourage visitors. No matter what, though, he should make sure he has his own bedroom and bathroom. Guests are a lot more welcome in the morning after the hosts get a good night's sleep.

usmc-sooner
2/4/2008, 11:52 AM
Bob, my best friend from way back when we were both lieutenants in the Bongo Five Two, is also retired from the USAF. He just accepted a job w/Lockheed as a systems engineer in Orlando FL. That means he'll be moving across state from his current casa on the Redneck Riviera at Ft. Walton to central FL.

I advised him to buy a big house because every third cousin and in-law will be wanting a room at the "Bob Hotel" when they visit MickeyWorld and environs. A bigger place means they won't be flopped down in his personal space.

My question to those of you who live near major turista destinations is, am I right?

Or, is it better to get a small place and tell Cousin Eddie, sorry d00d, "no room for you!"

You are correct I've lived by the beach, and in the mountains and I had a lot of vacations. Which I loved, because I like my family being around.

StoopTroup
2/4/2008, 12:32 PM
In the guest rooms...

I suggest he go with vending machines...

Family always takes advantage of the mini-bar.

Okla-homey
2/4/2008, 12:32 PM
In the guest rooms...

I suggest he go with vending machines...

Family always takes advantage of the mini-bar.

now that's the ticket!

Animal Mother
2/4/2008, 01:05 PM
Go for the small house. People go to a place like Fillintheblank World.It rains or whatever and you get stuck with little chitlins.They contract cabin fever and you're toast. Or you could buy an XBox for such situations.
Or start building on to your house and tell the little kids "It's time to learn carpentry!!!" "Your other choice is going to the library to read."
You'll have a new den in two weeks.