PDA

View Full Version : 30s and 40s

OCUDad
2/3/2008, 05:35 PM
So, olevet and OUinFLA: what was it like living through the Great Depression?

:pop:

OUinFLA
2/3/2008, 06:07 PM
heh, Im old, but not that old.
I am of the first year of the Baby Boomers.

However, my folks on the other hand never forgot the Great Depression.
After my parents retired and were financially very comfortable, I used to laugh at them when they would take half of a left over baked potato and put it back in the refrigerator of their $80K motorhome. Seems like the "waste not, want not" was to be a part of their lifestyle forever.

That virtue was not passed down to my generation. As I get older, I think that is too bad.

VeeJay
2/3/2008, 06:38 PM
My dad was born in 1931 and grew up during the Depression.

To this day they are legendarily cheap.

Here's how cheap:

When my dad was a District Manager with his co., he had the mailroom clerk bring him all the envelopes with stamps on them. He'd pick out the ones in which the post office failed to put their mark and he'd cut those off and re-use them at our house.

In the days before cell phones and the internet, we'd go to visit my grandparents. He and my grandfather worked out a classic money-saving scheme. In order to let the other one know we'd arrived back safely, rather than calling and having to pay for a long distance call, my dad would dial their number and let it ring once.

SoonerStormchaser
2/3/2008, 11:24 PM
My wife was just going through monopause during the great depression.

What? I can't jump in and make fun of myself a little?

OCUDad
2/4/2008, 12:09 AM
My wife was just going through monopause during the great depression.

What? I can't jump in and make fun of myself a little?Is monopause when you go through menopause on only one channel? :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/4/2008, 07:56 AM
In order to let the other one know we'd arrived back safely, rather than calling and having to pay for a long distance call, my dad would dial their number and let it ring once.My grandma used to have us call her collect after we got home, then she wouldn't accept the call.

Scott D
2/4/2008, 07:58 AM
So, olevet and OUinFLA: what was it like living through the Great Depression?

:pop:

ask olevet what it was like when he watched adam and eve get kicked out of the garden of eden. he was sitting on a rock outside the garden drinkin from a tallboy of natty lite.

crawfish
2/4/2008, 08:57 AM
Is monopause when you go through menopause on only one channel? :D

They hadn't invented stereo back then. :D

olevetonahill
2/4/2008, 09:20 AM
ask olevet what it was like when he watched adam and eve get kicked out of the garden of eden. he was sitting on a rock outside the garden drinkin from a tallboy of natty lite.
That was some fun shat dude . Flag was wit me and we was LOFAO .