PDA

View Full Version : What's The Deal With The British Monarchy These Days?

Rogue
2/3/2008, 02:43 PM
Lay some knowledge on me. All the political power lies with the PM and parliament, correct? Or not?

What purpose do the royals serve? Are they mainly rich traditional diplomats these days or do they actually have an impact outside of the National Enquirer?

:confused:

MamaMia
2/3/2008, 02:57 PM
They've become quite boring since Fergie divorced whatshisname and Diana died. The Queen Mum needs to have Camilla beheaded. You know, something akin to the scene in the Godfather. :pop:

j/k ;)

Rogue
2/3/2008, 02:59 PM
So, what do they do for money? Are they supported by the citizens?

SoonerStormchaser
2/3/2008, 03:15 PM
They have the same purpose as the Emperor of Japan...a figurehead.

Their $$ comes from royalties, property, and a bit from the taxpayers.

Vaevictis
2/3/2008, 03:59 PM
Lay some knowledge on me. All the political power lies with the PM and parliament, correct? Or not?

In the UK, I believe so, yes.

In several of the colonies (IIRC, Australia, Canada and the Bahamas at least), the Queen/King appoints a Governor General, who serves at the Queen/King's pleasure. The Governor General has the power to dissolve Parliament in the colony, so yeah, the Queen/King does still have some political power.

OUinFLA
2/3/2008, 04:20 PM
So, what do they do for money? Are they supported by the citizens?

Several years ago I head the Queen's net worth exceeded 350 Million.

I'd guess you can live fairly well on the interest alone.

Chuck Bao
2/3/2008, 04:43 PM
Thank God that the US is a republic.

Princess Diana did make a difference in her public display of hugging HIV+ babies or bringing out the issue of landmines. Besides that, meh! They can go right royally and stuff themselves.

mynameisjoe
2/3/2008, 04:46 PM
In the UK, I believe so, yes.

In several of the colonies (IIRC, Australia, Canada and the Bahamas at least), the Queen/King appoints a Governor General, who serves at the Queen/King's pleasure. The Governor General has the power to dissolve Parliament in the colony, so yeah, the Queen/King does still have some political power.

In Canada though, the Governor General is actually appointed on the advice of the Prime Minister and serves for approximately 5 years. It's pretty much just a ceremonial role.

SicEmBaylor
2/3/2008, 05:52 PM
Thank God that the US is a republic.

Princess Diana did make a difference in her public display of hugging HIV+ babies or bringing out the issue of landmines. Besides that, meh! They can go right royally and stuff themselves.

Diana was a tramp who damned near destroyed one of the greatest institutions in the world. She damned sure should have known what she was getting into, and then she had the gaul to try to change everything that makes the British monarchy great by changing it.

I definitely did not shed a tear over "Di." I get even more disgusted when people call her, "America's Princess." What a load of BS.

OUinFLA
2/3/2008, 06:02 PM
Diana was a tramp who damned near destroyed one of the greatest institutions in the world. She damned sure should have known what she was getting into, and then she had the gaul to try to change everything that makes the British monarchy great by changing it.

I definitely did not shed a tear over "Di." I get even more disgusted when people call her, "America's Princess." What a load of BS.

What's the matter, did she stand you up on one of your Branson weekends?

:D

VeeJay
2/3/2008, 06:07 PM
For God's sake, everyone knows that some of the dukes and duchesses show up at Wimbledon and hand out trophies!

Vaevictis
2/3/2008, 06:33 PM

Heh, there was plenty tramp-i-tude to go around. Charles was one of them; unlike his uncle, he didn't have the decency to abdicate. Instead, he married someone else with the full intent of ****ing his divorcee lover on the side.

It wasn't Diana that nearly destroyed that institution; she never should have been put in that position, and most modern women would have taken similar issue with Charles' behavior.

Chuck Bao
2/3/2008, 07:28 PM
Sic'em that stick is just sick.

Nobody is born better than anyone else, in my opinion. And, they have to earn my respect.

With that being said, I live in a Buddhist Kingdom.

SicEmBaylor
2/3/2008, 07:46 PM
Sic'em that stick is just sick.

Nobody is born better than anyone else, in my opinion. And, they have to earn my respect.

With that being said, I live in a Buddhist Kingdom.

That's fine, and I agree. We're Americans though. I want the British to remain British, and I find something inherently special in the British Monarchy.

AggieTool
2/3/2008, 10:23 PM
British Monarchy - when cousins marry.:D

SicEmBaylor
2/3/2008, 10:24 PM
British Monarchy - when cousins marry.:D

Christ-O. There's a hanging curve ball if there ever was one.

AggieTool
2/3/2008, 10:39 PM
Christ-O. There's a hanging curve ball if there ever was one.

Difference is, I don't cost the taxpayers any $$$.:)

royalfan5
2/3/2008, 10:41 PM
Call me when the Germans bring back the Hohenzollern's. There be some worth getting excited about.

LoyalFan
2/4/2008, 12:56 AM
...he Queen Mum needs to have Camilla beheaded...

Dear MUMmaMia, the "Queen Mum" AKA The Queen Mother, a title reserved for the widow of a King or former reigning Queen who has abdicated the throne, AND mother of the reigning monarch, died a few years ago.
She was that sweet-faced lady whom the Brits adored.

LF

GottaHavePride
2/4/2008, 12:57 AM
They're all starting to look like Craig Ferguson to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if9nNvoNwlM

SicEmBaylor
2/4/2008, 01:09 AM
Difference is, I don't cost the taxpayers any $$$.:)
Yeah, I'm sure you're REAL concerned with wasteful government expenditures.

I'd eliminate the House of Commons before I'd eliminate the Monarchy.

OCUDad
2/4/2008, 01:17 AM
All in all, it's not a bad life... living off the work of other people, adding nothing to society, acting superior, inbreeding, being an object of amusement for others.

Wait, were we talking about the monarchy or SicEm?

MamaMia
2/4/2008, 11:28 AM

I definitely did not shed a tear over "Di." I get even more disgusted when people call her, "America's Princess." What a load of BS. At the age of 19, she married a man she truly loved, gave him two beautiful sons all the while he was screwing his skanky lover. That would tend to make a new bride a little wiggy, don't you think?

AggieTool
2/4/2008, 02:02 PM
All in all, it's not a bad life... living off the work of other people, adding nothing to society, acting superior, inbreeding, being an object of amusement for others.

Wait, were we talking about the monarchy or SicEm?

That would be "Sir SicEm"...the Duke of Elderberries.:D

stoopified
2/4/2008, 02:20 PM
Arkansas and the UK only have one difference,in Arkansas when you marry your cousin you don't get a heridiatry title.