PDA

View Full Version : Texas Spygate - 2000?

tru2ou
2/3/2008, 12:39 PM
With all the talk of the Patriots and spygate today, it got me thinking about 2000 when there was a rumor that Stoops and Oklahoma left behind a fake gameplan during warmups for the OU-ut game. The rumor even said that a Texas assistant picked it up. OU was supposed to have run the first 2 or 3 plays from the list and they were stuffed. Then they changed on the third or fourth play and it went for big yardage.

Was this ever confirmed or has any player ever come out and said it was true? Like I said, I just got to thinking about this today when all the spygate stuff came out again.

- tru

SteelClip49
2/3/2008, 12:54 PM
I heard a little about that, if it was that in which you are speaking of, sometime back in 2001 so I really didn't think it had any merit, though I could be wrong. Hell, I think my post has no merit because I do not know what the hell I just said.

King Crimson
2/3/2008, 01:06 PM
my recollection is the 99 RRS was the source of that rumor, about the playbook.

58sooner
2/3/2008, 02:54 PM
Come on honest Mac would never use anything like that!

mobilesteve
2/3/2008, 03:10 PM
With all the talk of the Patriots and spygate today, it got me thinking about 2000 when there was a rumor that Stoops and Oklahoma left behind a fake gameplan during warmups for the OU-ut game. The rumor even said that a Texas assistant picked it up. OU was supposed to have run the first 2 or 3 plays from the list and they were stuffed. Then they changed on the third or fourth play and it went for big yardage.

Was this ever confirmed or has any player ever come out and said it was true? Like I said, I just got to thinking about this today when all the spygate stuff came out again.

- tru

I think it has been confirmed that it was the 99 game. Leach intentionally left a game plan on the field so Texas would find it. We lined up in the formations, but ran different plays. Thus we had a 17-0 lead. Texas began to figure it out after we were up 14-0, so we stopped using it. Clever Leach!

snp
2/3/2008, 03:56 PM
It was 1999 and Leach.

LittleWingSooner
2/3/2008, 04:42 PM
Yep it was 1999 and Leach. It did work to get us the early lead but we didn't score anything after that.

Breadburner
2/3/2008, 08:40 PM
I bet that idiot step-son of his is the one that ran into Mack's office with it......

OUmillenium
2/3/2008, 10:20 PM
heh

tru2ou
2/4/2008, 11:19 AM
Yep it was 1999 and Leach. It did work to get us the early lead but we didn't score anything after that.

So who came out and confirmed this did in fact happen? I never found anything from Leach or anyone else on the staff who said it was true. Did a player say it or are we still talking about internet rumors?

I'd just like to get some confirmation from somoene on the inside.

- tru

sooner518
2/4/2008, 12:24 PM
as stupid as it sounds, my cousin and I tried this a few years ago in our annual Thanksgiving day football game. we left a piece of paper with the play we planned to run in a room where someone would find it. I guess my brother, who found the fake playsheet, was smarter than Mack and figured it out and didnt bite for the fake. it probably didnt help that we were trying not to laugh the entire time we lined up

LittleWingSooner
2/4/2008, 01:46 PM
So who came out and confirmed this did in fact happen? I never found anything from Leach or anyone else on the staff who said it was true. Did a player say it or are we still talking about internet rumors?

I'd just like to get some confirmation from somoene on the inside.

- tru

It was in Jay Upchurch's Tale's from the Sooner Sideline for one thing.