PDA

View Full Version : Question for sign language folks

Chuck Bao
2/3/2008, 01:03 AM
My department got into big trouble with the “powers that be”.

My strategist appeared on our internet video broadcast with a rose apple last week. It was inflammatory and majorly stupid.

The rose apple is symbolic of the big nose of the new Thai prime minister who is currently forming a government after the December 23 general election.

As a form of appeasement, the management of my company banned my strategist from appearing on TV, radio and internet broadcasts for two months.

Now, I’m very sensy about any references to Asian men with round (pug) noses. That’s just so wrong.

So, my strategist gives me this piece about sign language and reference to the new prime minister by “holding their nose.” This article appeared in the Thai language Matichon newspaper which is respected for its political views. It didn’t appear in any local English language press that I noticed.

Holding the nose in reference to a politician is worse than the rose apple nose, I’m thinking.

I understand that signers have to take shortcuts and can’t spell out everyone’s name.

I don’t know sign, but I’m just curious if there are special signs for Dubya, McCain, Hilary, Romney or Obama and if any of them would take exception to their sign language reference.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jkbyonHKOhEoRut3ZEjIay35stmgD8UG1S000

Nose Means New Thai PM in Sign Language

3 days ago

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) — Sign language interpreters in Thailand have run afoul of some ruling party supporters by holding their noses to refer to the new prime minister.

Samak Sundaravej, chosen in parliament Monday as the first elected prime minister since a Sept. 2006 coup, has been nicknamed "Mr. Rose Apple Nose" because many claim his nose resembles the fruit.

Thai sign language interpreters often indicate prominent facial features as shorthand for dignitaries, and during a live broadcast of Monday's parliamentary session, they held their noses between two fingers numerous times to refer to Samak.

One interpreter, Kanittha Rattanasin, said this gesture has long been used for Samak but is drawing wide notice only now.

"It is not meant as a nose joke," she said. "We have touched our noses for years to refer to Samak but people noticed this time because we had to repeat the movement over 300 times."

Juthamas Suthonwattanacharoen, another interpreter, said Samak supporters have called the National Association of the Deaf in Thailand to say the sign does not befit the country leader, and the Thai daily newspaper Matichon said the gesture angered some members of Samak's party.

Samak, 72, a combative right-wing politician, easily beat Democrat party candidate Abhisit Vejjajiva, 43, to head the country.

"We refer to a person's most unique physical appearance and for Abhisit, it's his good looks," Juthamas said. "If someone has very long eyelashes, or prominent ears, we use those."

Kanittha said some reference to Samak's popular cooking show might work as a new sign for him. But for now, there are no plans to change it, Juthamas said.

soonerboomer93
2/3/2008, 01:53 AM
I can ask my mom, but I don't think she's been interpretting anything political (atleast not that she told me)

I will note, if there were special ones for them that could be considered insulting, she wouldn't use them.