PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma tax help

ADs_Agent
2/2/2008, 08:08 PM
As a student, are there any credits or write offs I can claim? Can I claim pikepass toll fees? What can I do to soften the inevitable blow I will be receiving from the State of Oklahoma? Any and all help would be so appreciated.

OU-HSV
2/2/2008, 08:25 PM
Not sure about the student end of things. I did get a tax related statement sent to me for some classes I took this year, I'm hoping I can use that on my taxes somehow...it was $300.00.
And my neighbor was telling me he claims pike pass fees somehow. I'll try to catch him tomorrow and ask him how exactly he does that.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/2/2008, 08:37 PM
You can use school expenses. You can also use student loan interest.

OU-HSV
2/2/2008, 08:38 PM
I remember using student loan interest in the past. That always came in handy.

ADs_Agent
2/2/2008, 09:32 PM
are these on the federal end or the state end? My fed is fine, but I always seem to come up short on state.

StoopTroup
2/2/2008, 09:40 PM
You might buy a lotto ticket.

That might help pay for those taxes you owe. ;)

ADs_Agent
2/2/2008, 09:52 PM
I know I can write off tuition and Student Loan interest on the federal end, but can I do it on the state end?

ADs_Agent
2/4/2008, 09:39 AM
bump for more help from the gurus.

Boomer.....
2/4/2008, 10:21 AM
The school should send you tax forms from all of the classes you took. You can use them and get some money back.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/4/2008, 10:31 AM
Perhaps you can give the former House Speaker a call. I understand he knows how to file taxes real good.

Hamhock
2/4/2008, 10:34 AM
buy turbo tax.

pikepass isn't deductible unless part of a trade/business

Mjcpr
2/4/2008, 10:37 AM
Turbo Tax is deductible, however. :)

BudSooner
2/4/2008, 11:23 AM
Go to the horse races, lose $1000, keep the program and tickets from the losing bets......it gets written off as a loss of wages.

True.

Thats all i've got.

Mjcpr
2/4/2008, 11:26 AM
Go to the horse races, lose $1000, keep the program and tickets from the losing bets......it gets written off as a loss of wages.

True.

Thats all i've got.

Only up to the amount you claim as winnings isn't it?

Hamhock
2/4/2008, 11:28 AM
Turbo Tax is deductible, however. :)

only to the extent it exceeds 2% of your AGI.

BudSooner
2/4/2008, 11:31 AM
Yes, although the amount is what i'm foggy on...I have claimed up to $800 in the past without any objections from the state and feds.

I've heard people say they went around the simulcast building out on the fairgrounds and collected random tickets and programs out of the trash to collect them as a loss.
I'm not sure how you can get around this though, what's to say you didn't actually didn't lost money on a given set of races? you have proof right?

Mjcpr
2/4/2008, 11:32 AM
only to the extent it exceeds 2% of your AGI.

I thought you could deduct the amount you're charged by a tax preparer or for tax prep software? It always ask, anyway.....what it does with it after that, I have no idea. :O

SoonerStormchaser
2/4/2008, 11:33 AM

Unless you're filing "Married filing separately" as I just found out! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hamhock
2/4/2008, 11:47 AM
I thought you could deduct the amount you're charged by a tax preparer or for tax prep software? It always ask, anyway.....what it does with it after that, I have no idea. :O

you can, but it's a Misc. Itemized deduction, that only helps if they exceed 2% of your AGI.

Hamhock
2/4/2008, 11:48 AM
I've heard people say they went around the simulcast building out on the fairgrounds and collected random tickets and programs out of the trash to collect them as a loss.
I'm not sure how you can get around this though, what's to say you didn't actually didn't lost money on a given set of races? you have proof right?

happens all. the. time.