PDA

View Full Version : Roy Williams interview

OklaUalum
2/2/2008, 12:53 PM
Not sure how many of you are local to OKC area, but have you been watching the Roy Williams interview segments on KWTV 9 the last few nights?

Pretty cool segments.

Collier11
2/2/2008, 02:05 PM
Dean???

Partial Qualifier
2/2/2008, 09:18 PM
you can watch them here

http://www.news9.com/global/Category.asp?c=120612

zeke
2/2/2008, 09:45 PM
you can watch them here

http://www.news9.com/global/Category.asp?c=120612

thanks for posting this, its good stuff

Mjcpr
2/2/2008, 09:56 PM
Did he say what has caused him to suck the last couple of years? :mad:

Collier11
2/2/2008, 10:08 PM

I am not here to defend RW cus he has made some mistakes the past few years but if you actually watched the tapes, many of the plays the CB busted and RW had to try and compensate and just wasnt fast enough to do it

Mjcpr
2/2/2008, 10:14 PM
Eh....I disagree. I love RW like I do all Sooners, but he has struggled the last two years, particularly this year. He doesn't even seem to support the run or tackle as well as he used to.

Their new DB coach, who used to be their head coach, mentioned RW's struggles when he was hired and hopes to be able to work on his performance.

usmc-sooner
2/2/2008, 11:14 PM
Eh....I disagree. I love RW like I do all Sooners, but he has struggled the last two years, particularly this year. He doesn't even seem to support the run or tackle as well as he used to.

Their new DB coach, who used to be their head coach, mentioned RW's struggles when he was hired and hopes to be able to work on his performance.

agree

Curly Bill
2/2/2008, 11:32 PM

I too agree.

Soonersince57
2/2/2008, 11:48 PM
Maybe someone on the message board should beat him out next year.

Curly Bill
2/2/2008, 11:54 PM
Maybe someone on the message board should beat him out next year.

I might, I bet I can run faster....

...and the reason that's funny is I got a few years on me now.

sooneron
2/2/2008, 11:59 PM
sooner-n-ga will love that video footage of him horsecollar tackling McNabb.

Curly Bill
2/3/2008, 12:00 AM
Yeah, I would have to work on my horsecollar in order to take TRRW's place. ;)

47straight
2/3/2008, 02:48 AM
Maybe Roy should switch to cornerback. Apparently noone blames Dallas cornerbacks for anything.

Crucifax Autumn
2/3/2008, 05:27 AM
Maybe Roy should switch to cornerback. Apparently noone blames Dallas cornerbacks for anything.

Heh...no kidding!

Partial Qualifier
2/3/2008, 10:56 AM
coverage skills or not, I love RW :)

bluedogok
2/3/2008, 01:09 PM
Roy has never been a traditional NFL safety, especially in a cover 2/3 scheme. He has always been more of a hybrid linebacker, they should have taken him and moved him to MLB like the Bears did with Urlacher, that always seemed to be his more natural position. Since Dallas has gone to a 3-4 he just doesn't fit there.

Dallas needs a healthy Newman and someone on the other corner that can stay with a receiver and not give them up so easy to the safeties. They could use him more like the Steelers Polamalu if they had faith that their corners could cover.

Mjcpr
2/3/2008, 01:16 PM
It's not the CB's fault when the other team isolates their TE on him because they know he struggles in coverage and he gives up completion after completion, like in the 2nd Giants game. How many catches did Shockey have that day, 100?

I like him too, I'm just saying he struggled.

58sooner
2/3/2008, 01:32 PM
Great person and great former sooner gotta be proud of Roy!

usmc-sooner
2/3/2008, 01:52 PM
It's not the CB's fault when the other team isolates their TE on him because they know he struggles in coverage and he gives up completion after completion, like in the 2nd Giants game. How many catches did Shockey have that day, 100?

exactly, every team that plays Dallas tries isolate him with someone. Nobody is saying he sucks because he doesn't. But he's struggled a bit.

Collier11
2/3/2008, 02:45 PM
5 straight pro bowls, that means that the coaches and fans see him being better than 14 other safeties in the NFC

Curly Bill
2/3/2008, 03:04 PM
5 straight pro bowls, that means that the coaches and fans see him being better than 14 other safeties in the NFC

Yeah going to the Pro Bowl...that's become a real accurate indicator of someones play these days. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

oumartin
2/3/2008, 04:01 PM
Run your mouth all you want. Roy is doing something nobody on this message board has ever done. Sheesh you people are ridiculous. Of course I'm not referring to Pat

Curly Bill
2/3/2008, 04:02 PM
Run your mouth all you want. Roy is doing something nobody on this message board has ever done. Sheesh you people are ridiculous. Of course I'm not referring to Pat

Roy...is that you?

tulsaoilerfan
2/3/2008, 04:54 PM

So i'm assuming that since Jason Witten had almost 100 catches this season that all the other safeties in the league can't cover either? There are no safeties in the league that can consistently cover a good tight end one on one

Newbomb Turk
2/3/2008, 04:58 PM

Pat played in the NFL?

Mjcpr
2/3/2008, 05:03 PM
My bad, he's a great cover safety.

usmc-sooner
2/3/2008, 05:04 PM
they talk about his struggles almost every Sunday, when Dallas plays. They even talk about it on wickipedia.

Oh BTW if wickipedia is right he's going to start wearing 38 next year!!!

TMcGee86
2/3/2008, 05:17 PM
He was taken out of obvious passing situations and Pat Watkins and Hamlin played safety.

So I guess the coaches do know a little something about his struggles.

Srsly, I love the guy. the only jersey I own is one I bought specifically for him to sign, but to act like he hasn't struggled the last few seasons is beyond being a blind homer. It's just crazy talk.

Curly Bill
2/3/2008, 05:34 PM
He was taken out of obvious passing situations and Pat Watkins and Hamlin played safety.

So I guess the coaches do know a little something about his struggles.

Srsly, I love the guy. the only jersey I own is one I bought specifically for him to sign, but to act like he hasn't struggled the last few seasons is beyond being a blind homer. It's just crazy talk.

Well said

Newbomb Turk
2/3/2008, 05:50 PM
but to act like he hasn't struggled the last few seasons is beyond being a blind homer.

yep.

Animal Mother
2/3/2008, 05:52 PM

I thought no one on here said he sucked?
The local know it all types have trashed him the last two years A.K.A. Bob the cheesehead on The Ticket. They are mostly from the blowhard fraternity of nay sayers and when you talk to football people they tend to go with the bad corner play the majority ( not all) of the time. And since the modern era of the NFL passed the Tuna by because he would update his defense about as often as a solar eclipse, some of Roy's play suffered for it. He's not perfect but he sure doesn't suck.

tulsaoilerfan
2/3/2008, 08:01 PM
My bad, he's a great cover safety.
I never said he was great, but i think the criticism in some instances is not warranted;if people would watch other games you see safeties and corners all over the league getting beat in coverage on a regular basis

goingoneight
2/3/2008, 11:35 PM
Both Manning brothers have struggled, too and just won back-to-back Super Bowls. I think Dallas fans and OU haters who just wanted to hate on TRRW found out really quickly when TRRW was suspended that it's their entire secondary that it sucking and not just the player they wish never played at OU. Seriously, everytime someone completes a pass it seems they blame it on Roy. I know the guy isn't HOF material, but he's not exactly the central problem with Dallas's defense. inconsistent pass rush, sloppy tackling and corner play are sporadic as well. Dallas beat themselves many times this year by not establishing a good running game and letting their opponents just hang in ball games they clearly should not be in. Julius Jones was horrible and to say anything othewise is ridiculous. A lot of wasted downs combined with random defensive problems does not a championship team make.

TMcGee86
2/3/2008, 11:52 PM
Both Manning brothers have struggled, too and just won back-to-back Super Bowls..

Um. :confused: You lost me here. Eli is hotter than ever in his career. And Payton Manning has never struggled. He's probably the best QB ever. This comparison eludes me.

I think Dallas fans and OU haters who just wanted to hate on TRRW found out really quickly when TRRW was suspended that it's their entire secondary that it sucking and not just the player they wish never played at OU.

I've been a die hard fan of both my entire life. And if you were a fan of Dallas you would know that the real revelation was when Watkins went down we saw just how important it was to have a real FS on passing downs. There was no drop off in pass coverage without Roy.

Seriously, everytime someone completes a pass it seems they blame it on Roy. I know the guy isn't HOF material, but he's not exactly the central problem with Dallas's defense. inconsistent pass rush, sloppy tackling and corner play are sporadic as well. .

Now this I agree with. He is far from the only problem on that team. In fact, he wasn't even the biggest problem in the secondary. That award would go to the nickel corner. Reeves and Nate Jones suck.

Dallas beat themselves many times this year by not establishing a good running game and letting their opponents just hang in ball games they clearly should not be in. .

Umm, again...:confused: They lost 3 games total all season. 4 if you count the playoffs. And if you watched the playoff game the running game was outstanding. Barber had over 100 in the first half. It was Roy and Reeves that got picked on five straight times in that drive before the half. Reeves is flat out terrible and Roy just isn't good enough to cover up that kind of play.

Julius Jones was horrible and to say anything othewise is ridiculous. A lot of wasted downs combined with random defensive problems does not a championship team make.

Now this I TOTALLY agree with. I hated Julia from the start. He sucks and I cannot wait till he is gone. He's worthless.

Collier11
2/4/2008, 01:10 AM
Um. :confused: You lost me here. Eli is hotter than ever in his career. And Payton Manning has never struggled. He's probably the best QB ever. This comparison eludes me.

I agree on Eli but I would argue that Peyton is the most overhyped qb ever...sure his stats are great but he is awful in the playoffs including his SB win!
I've been a die hard fan of both my entire life. And if you were a fan of Dallas you would know that the real revelation was when Watkins went down we saw just how important it was to have a real FS on passing downs. There was no drop off in pass coverage without Roy.

Roy is somewhat overrated but only cus many consider him one of the best Safeties in the NFL! HE is Top 5 easy but not best

Now this I agree with. He is far from the only problem on that team. In fact, he wasn't even the biggest problem in the secondary. That award would go to the nickel corner. Reeves and Nate Jones suck.

And Romo needs to decide if he is going to go to HOllywood or play Qb, and im a Chiefs fan so I am not biased at all, my team sucks, especially when we make the playoffs!
Umm, again...:confused: They lost 3 games total all season. 4 if you count the playoffs. And if you watched the playoff game the running game was outstanding. Barber had over 100 in the first half. It was Roy and Reeves that got picked on five straight times in that drive before the half. Reeves is flat out terrible and Roy just isn't good enough to cover up that kind of play.

Now this I TOTALLY agree with. I hated Julia from the start. He sucks and I cannot wait till he is gone. He's worthless.

Jones sucks, why Barber isnt getting all the reps confuses me, I hear a dirty rumor that the Chiefs and Cowboys are discussing a trade that will give the Boys LJ and the #5 pick for Barber and the Cowboys 2 first rd picks this year...probably just a rumor but who knows?!

Jdog
2/4/2008, 11:15 PM
unfortunately it looks like he's lost a step since the horsecoller rule came into effect.

I think he should spend more time with the foundation - because he's making a difference.

Sooner_Havok
2/4/2008, 11:26 PM
He is just afraid to tackle someone now, he might get another rule named after him if he does :D