PDA

View Full Version : 60s and 70s

SteelClip49
2/2/2008, 11:01 AM
My uncle and father have told me that these were the greatest years of their lives because of a lot that went on, especially the music. They say that college football in the 70s will never be matched again. They said they were fortunate to experience these decades whether there was good or bad in the country and around the world....every generation will face the good and bad.

For those of you that got to experience these decades, what are your most fondest memories?

usmc-sooner
2/2/2008, 11:08 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107533

:D

85Sooner
2/2/2008, 11:09 AM
The coming of the eighties. The 60's were great if you were a long haired whining hippy in berkley. The late seventies were miserable. They even had a so called misery index. However football and music were pretty good.

usmc-sooner
2/2/2008, 11:14 AM
the late 80's and early 90's were the best

VeeJay
2/2/2008, 11:44 AM
I remember "gas wars" in the 60's when gas would get down to $0.25 - $0.26 per gallon.

Am I the oldest person posting in this thread?

Flagstaffsooner
2/2/2008, 12:02 PM
The 70's were great. Disco and Jimmy Carter were the only mar on those years. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, ELP and Steeley Dan. Dope was good and sex was easy and worry free. OU Football was the greatest but there was no internet.

Mjcpr
2/2/2008, 12:04 PM
The last 5 days of 1969 were spectacular; I remember them vividly.

yermom
2/2/2008, 12:05 PM
i'm gonna have to go with Star Wars

Flagstaffsooner
2/2/2008, 12:05 PM
I remember "gas wars" in the 60's when gas would get down to $0.25 - $0.26 per gallon.

Am I the oldest person posting in this thread?I remember .24 regularly and .19 in a gas war.:O

Flagstaffsooner
2/2/2008, 12:07 PM
The last 5 days of 1969 were spectacular; I remember them vividly.Would that be anything like "Late September 1963'"?

1stTimeCaller
2/2/2008, 12:26 PM
I'm gonna go with October 16th, 1995

King Crimson
2/2/2008, 12:34 PM
The last 5 days of 1969 were spectacular; I remember them vividly.

is that when you got your first real six string?

Mjcpr
2/2/2008, 12:35 PM
It's when I was bornded ya idjits.

1stTimeCaller
2/2/2008, 12:36 PM
it took five days for you to hatch?

SanJoaquinSooner
2/2/2008, 02:09 PM
I sat 63 rows up on the 45 yard line at the 1971 Game of the Century OU-Nebraska. Jack Mildren was masterful at the wishbone option and the occasional long pass. Too bad our Defense was very average. A great, great, game, though.

KsSooner
2/2/2008, 07:34 PM
Late 70's, Pogos in Wichita - Monday nights = .05 pitcher night

Rogue
2/2/2008, 07:39 PM
The '70s were pretty decent, but I was a pup. I'd love to live in the '60s with the Bops and Beats.

phead903
2/2/2008, 07:48 PM
College football in the 70's was truly the excess of the rich. No scholarship limits meant that teams would recruit athletes just to keep them from playing elsewhere. I remember going to OU games in the 70's and seeing over 120 players suited up - most of whom could have started for any team in the coutnry except for 10-15 of the best.

Music in the 70's for me was dominated by arena rock bands - ELP, Journey, KISS, Kansas, Led Zep, the Who, etc. IMO the best era ever for rock. Hell, even Elton John was great back then!

76soonergrad
2/2/2008, 08:55 PM
College football in the 70's was truly the excess of the rich. No scholarship limits meant that teams would recruit athletes just to keep them from playing elsewhere. I remember going to OU games in the 70's and seeing over 120 players suited up - most of whom could have started for any team in the coutnry except for 10-15 of the best.

Music in the 70's for me was dominated by arena rock bands - ELP, Journey, KISS, Kansas, Led Zep, the Who, etc. IMO the best era ever for rock. Hell, even Elton John was great back then!

National champions 1974 & 1975.

The early '70s was a time when African American football players came into their own. And Switzer knew how to recruit. Ever read "Bootlegger's Boy?"

He understood how to relate to anybody. He used to say, "God bless Mrs. Selmon." He got the cream of the crop. The timing was perfect for him.

Wishbone executed, defense dominated.

I like early Elton John. Before he discovered carbohydrates. Tiny Dancer, Rocket Man, those songs. Steely Dan. Earth, Wind & Fire.

Soonersince57
2/3/2008, 12:00 AM
The 70's were great. Disco and Jimmy Carter were the only mar on those years. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, ELP and Steeley Dan. Dope was good and sex was easy and worry free. OU Football was the greatest but there was no internet.

Steeley Dan's AJA was the best. I was a freshman at OU in 75-76 and went to Orange Bowl to watch them play Michigan. Disco, sex and football (101 wins from 70-79).

AlbqSooner
2/3/2008, 08:07 AM
Jimi Hendrix at the OU Field house.
Lowest price for gas I ever saw was at Shinny's One Stop south of Muskogee - 16.9 cents per
$10 for a full ounce of killer ganja. Quaaludes were ubiquitous and $0.25 each
Sex was very available and the free clinic would give you a shot that would cure any STD.
Good times indeed.

OUinFLA
2/3/2008, 08:41 AM
Sex, drugs, and Rock & Roll.

Tuition at OU was about $15 an hour.
My apartment was $115 a month.
A brand new off the showroom floor 1967 Corvette, 427/400 HP was $5000 cash.
Music seemed to influence everything that happened. If there was an earth-shattering event, someone put out a song about it.
For the first time in our history, students demanded to be heard.
Protests, riots, peace demonstrations were everyday occurances.
Vietnam dominated the nightly news.
Media news took a huge leap forward in what they would report on and how they would view events. Gone were the days of sugar-coating events to make decisions "look good".
Anyone could get a job.
Gas was 21 cents a gallon, and the service station attendent would gladly wash your windshield, check your oil, and air up your tires.
Wal-Mart did not exist on every corner of every town.
Mom and Pop grocery stores were plentiful. Supermarkets begin to make an apperance in larger cities.
An evening at the movies complete with popcorn, soda, and candy was about $4 if you took a date.
McDonalds gave you back change for your $1.
Guys washed their cars every Friday.
Trucks were driven by farmers.
Japanese autos were the suc.

Im glad to have lived through the 60's and 70's. It was a time of radical changes in thoughts, music, and attitudes.

SteelClip49
2/3/2008, 10:57 AM
My dad said when he was at OU...early 70s, that it was common for streakers in the South Oval...and these people would make human pyramids or whatever in that pit area...forgot what it was called. What do you all know about that?

King Crimson
2/3/2008, 11:20 AM
oops. wrong thread.

Rogue
2/3/2008, 05:24 PM
that pit area...forgot what it was called.

"Passion Pit."

You're welcome.

usmc-sooner
2/3/2008, 05:50 PM
My dad said when he was at OU...early 70s, that it was common for streakers in the South Oval...and these people would make human pyramids or whatever in that pit area...forgot what it was called. What do you all know about that?

today liberals call that a war crime

OCUDad
2/3/2008, 05:54 PM
today liberals call that a war crimeOnly if you make the pyramid out of Muslims. Baptists, on the other hand, are OK.

usmc-sooner
2/3/2008, 06:17 PM
Only if you make the pyramid out of Muslims. Baptists, on the other hand, are OK.

Baptists like a little fun on a Saturday night.

Animal Mother
2/4/2008, 04:07 PM
Steeley Dan's AJA was the best. I was a freshman at OU in 75-76 and went to Orange Bowl to watch them play Michigan. Disco, sex and football (101 wins from 70-79).

Baptists like a little fun on a Saturday night.

I was raised Southern Baptist but I survived.

I knew Candy Loving in high school and had some mutual friends at OU. Friends Records new releases were $3.99 and I think Wilcox on 23rd in the City was the same. I can never remember the prices at Mother’s. It was always hazy before we went in there, I mean WHEN we were in there. Saw Zeppelin for $7.50 , Paul McCartney for $8.50 and The Who for $8.00. Saw David Bowie for $9.00. We lived in Jordan House in Cate Center because the windows opened and I didn’t like dirty bong water. I almost was expelled because the food was so bad and I wouldn’t pay for the portion of my “rent” that went towards it. We always stayed in our dorm room until the last possible minute on gameday, so as not to bother people with our “smoking”. Although we did twist an occasional doobie at the top of the student section and burn it. When I was a senior in high school, I walked from Cross Center all the way to Hume House in Cate with a pound of “herb” in a paper effing sack. Passed several OU Peedly D’s (constabulary) and they didn’t blink. My OU student ticket was what, $15.00 for all the home football games together? We met Barry Switzer and Larry Lacewell at Will Rogers Airport after the 1977 OU/Ohio State game when Von Foot kicked Woodhead Hays in the crotch. I don’t know who was more drunk, us or the King!!! My buddy that worked at KNOR talked our way in to a Steve Miller concert for free at Lloyd Noble. We traded ludes for t-shirts at a Paul McCartney rock show in Kansas City. I still have a “Wings Over America” t-shirt. I saw Jeff Beck from the first row on my birthday in 1976. I always tell people “I grew up in the 70s, so I don’t remember it.” That isn’t true. I remember it all because “The hypnotized never lie! Do ya?”