PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 - Highest Paid Coaches

SoCal
2/1/2008, 08:53 PM
http://www.prepticket.com/slideshow/index.php?directory=.&currentPic=19&albumid2=823292:Album:46218

1. $4,000,000 - Charlie Weis, Notre Dame
2. $3,800,000 - Bob Stoops, Oklahoma
3. $3,800,000 - Petey Carroll, USC
4. $3,750,000 - Nick Saban, Alabama
5. $3,384,000 - Urban Meyers, Florida
6. $3,030,000 - Kirk Ferentz, Iowa
7. $2,850,000 - Bobby Petrino, Arkansas
8. $2,825,000 - Tommy Tuberville, Auburn
9. $2,751,000 - Mack Brown, Texas
10. $2,600,000 - Jim Tressel, Ohio St.
11. $2,500,000 - Rich Rodriguez, Michigan
12. $2,050,000 - Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee
13. $2,025,000 - Mark Richt, Georgia
14. $2,008,000 - Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech
15. $2,000,000 - June Jones, SMU
16. $1,910,000 - Butch Davis, North Carolina
17. $1,875,000 - Al Groh, Virginia
18. $1,850,000 - Gary Pinkel, Missouri
19. $1,816,000 - Les Miles, LSU
20. $1,805,000 - Jeff Tedford, California

setem
2/1/2008, 09:16 PM
For as much as they pay that turd Weis you would think he would do something with all that talent he has!

tulsaoilerfan
2/1/2008, 09:24 PM
For as much as they pay that turd Weis you would think he would do something with all that talent he has!
2 Million per win baby, or was it 1.67 million? I can't remember how many games the gomers won:D

boomersooner28
2/1/2008, 09:34 PM
IMO, Ohio St. and LSU are getting pretty good deals...and the Domers are getting just the opposite of a good deal. :D

RedstickSooner
2/1/2008, 09:46 PM
Nah, LSU is getting jobbed. I could've won a national championship with that team this year.

Weiss being at the top of the list makes me want to giggle 'til I wet myself.

The other surprise, at least to me, is Ferentz. I mean, Iowa? Really? 3 million?

oumartin
2/1/2008, 10:39 PM
Weis gets his yearly income in Krispy Kremes

SOONER STEAKER
2/1/2008, 11:12 PM
We're al thinking about Weiss. Man, I'd love to coach for that kind of chump change. $4 LARGE, WOW, that's alot of cheeseburgers for Charlie. :eek:

sooneron
2/1/2008, 11:34 PM
Anyone have a clue when Iowa will wake up?

ONE

GOOD

SEASON

What a bunch of suckers.

yermom
2/1/2008, 11:49 PM
yeah, Ferentz has snowed someone up there

i thought Saban was making $4MM a year, i mean i thought it was $32MM over 8 years. maybe it's graduated or something :confused:

and why didn't Lester go to Michigan again?

i'm pretty sure that salary is the new one not the old one, his base salary went down when he left Stoolwater, if i remember right

Breadburner
2/2/2008, 12:55 AM
Petey Carroll....LOl........

soonerboomer93
2/2/2008, 02:41 AM
Didn't les just sign a new contract

and isn't Joe Pa supposedly making the in $2 mil range
they only know his salary from the university, not his endorsement/appearance fees (which make up most of the money on all these contracts)

yermom
2/2/2008, 02:56 AM
i would think the endorsement/appearance stuff would be separate from that

if i remember right, the money Bob was making from OU was something like $200k, but the rest was from the Foundation or something. but was still his "salary"

goingoneight
2/2/2008, 03:48 AM
To me, it doesn't matter what they're making. It's a nonfactor in the end. The excitement, ticket sales and revenure OUr program has brought in pays these guys without a problem. Now, a program like Notre Dame or OSU was to go a splurge on their main man after say a 9-3 season, that might be a disappointment in the end when they slip back into suckitude. But Stoops averages 11 wins per season, beats his arch rival like the orange-headed step-children they are and collects BIG 12 Championships like baseball cards... he COULD do a little better, but it's not like he's a slouch. If he told the press he was leaving OU next January, there would be a number of programs that would match or top his salary to have him. If Switzer was coaching today, he's be a top-dollar guy too; so it's not like we're just spoiling a guy we're trying desperately to keep.

Flagstaffsooner
2/2/2008, 08:21 AM
Weiss being at the top of the list makes me want to giggle 'til I wet myself.

I just did that reading your post.:D

MichiganSooner
2/2/2008, 08:33 AM
We have a bargain in Bob.

KantoSooner
2/2/2008, 09:19 AM
yeah that

Jason White's Third Knee
2/2/2008, 12:39 PM
We have a bargain in Bob.

3.8 mil a year is no bargain for any job. I get the point, but 3.8 mil? A bargain? Ever? For anything?

That's $10,410 a day.

badger
2/2/2008, 01:38 PM
Hmm... speaking of bargains...

Hawaii isn't on that list. Neither is Kansas. Both made BCS games (but you don't need to remind me how each of them turned out, because dang it, we all watch the games here, people!)

Arizona State had a pretty solid year. Illinois had the best year they've had in about a decade.

Now... let's see who's being very Scrooge-like.

-Charlie Weis... yeah, and apparently the alums think he's Scrooge, too.
-Nick Satan at Alabama... one more Iron Bowl loss, the same result as last year with a higher paid coach.
-Bobby Petrino at Arkansas... I know we should give him a chance in college, but he coached the loser Falcons to a loserific record.
-Butch Davis at UNC... seriously, is it a problem that you don't have good football when you're so awesome at basketball?
-Jeff Tedford, Cal... you have the best receiver in the country on a team expected to challenge USC for Pac 10 supremacy. WHAT HAPPENED?!?!
-Kirk at Ioway... who knew you guys had a Cy-Hawk rivalry with ISU? Wellllll, you do now!!!!

I don't consider any of these listed guys a "bargain," because we need to look at market value. Bob Stoops is second-highest paid. Well, he also usually gets OU close to the second-best record in the country as well, if not first. So, he makes what he should. Same goes for Pete Caroll and his usual run for the title, and Jim Tressel, who can dominate his lousy conference, but lay an egg against any SEC sucker in the country, lol.

tulsaoilerfan
2/2/2008, 01:55 PM
At least 7 of those guys have NFL experience, and all came back to college; goes to show you that the NFL gig isn't as good as college

85sooners
2/2/2008, 03:33 PM
:twinkies:

OU Adonis
2/2/2008, 03:40 PM

Well you have to consider he started at at $200 a year and he has gotten a 5% raise every year that he's been there.

:D

Sabanball
2/2/2008, 07:16 PM
yeah, Ferentz has snowed someone up there

i thought Saban was making $4MM a year, i mean i thought it was $32MM over 8 years. maybe it's graduated or something :confused:and why didn't Lester go to Michigan again?

i'm pretty sure that salary is the new one not the old one, his base salary went down when he left Stoolwater, if i remember right

You are correct. Over the full term of his 8yr contract, Nick is guaranteed $32mil, which when averaged out is $4mil/yr. However, if he decided to leave the guarantee and remaining amount would be out the window. His contract is also laced with a lot of incentives, which could actually raise it to over that amount if he achieves them. We've made it awfully tough for him to walk away, because he would be leaving a boatload of money on the table if he did, much like you guys probably have done with Bob. The only way he would not get it is if 1)he was fired with cause(which is very unlikely to happen), or 2) he walks away before the contract is up(he has no buyout clause).

Frozen Sooner
2/2/2008, 07:53 PM
Nah. We've pretty much phased out the buyouts in Bob's contract from what I understand. There's a big bonus for staying through next year, but I think that's about it.

I'm working from memory on this, though.

Anyhow, Joe C. seems to trust that Stoops is going to be around for a while and is willing to leave the buyout stuff out of his contract now.

Scott D
2/2/2008, 08:13 PM

they only know his salary from the university, not his endorsement/appearance fees (which make up most of the money on all these contracts)

To my understanding, JoePa doesn't get much endorsement money. Most of what he'd get goes to Assistants and the Athletic Program.

OU-HSV
2/2/2008, 08:31 PM
To my understanding, JoePa doesn't get much endorsement money. Most of what he'd get goes to Assistants and the Athletic Program.
This is that article they released back in November in regards to JoePa's pay
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-paterno-salary&prov=ap&type=lgns

The VIIIth
2/2/2008, 09:38 PM
Hmm... speaking of bargains...

Hawaii isn't on that list.

June Jones, Hawaii's old coach is now on the list at # 15 and a bonus inclusive $2mm per year. Not bad for losing to the 4th best SEC team... I suspect $1.5mm of the package is compensation for having to leave Oahu for the Mainland.

http://www.wtrg.com/punit1.gif

The VIIIth
2/2/2008, 09:43 PM
The only way Lou Saban would not get it is if 1)he was fired with cause(which is very unlikely to happen).

You never know, he could get short with the Athletic Director...

Sabanball
2/3/2008, 11:13 PM
You never know, he could get short with the Athletic Director...

Lol...hey, you never know...On a serious note, the cw around here is that our athletic director is on a glidepath to retirement. Hiring Nick is widely seen as his final big accomplishment before he hangs it up and hands the reins to someone else, whether it be Ozzie Newsome or some other candidate. Only time will tell, but rest assured that Nick Saban is not taking marching orders from Mal Moore, despite where they stand respective of one another on the organization chart. Nick was given the keys to the castle when he came here and a mandate to get our football program in order, with no interference from anyone--including the athletic department.

stoopified
2/4/2008, 02:03 PM
I thought UT put a clause in Mac's contract guaranteeing him a TOP 3 salary?