PDA

View Full Version : Demarco Murray

Will
2/1/2008, 03:09 PM
I think Demarco will have an electrifying season next year. He is a very explosive back that posses great vision while running as well as in the return game. He can be an every down back as we saw in the Iowa State game last year. If all goes well with his rehab... Heisman?

r5TPsooner
2/1/2008, 03:11 PM
I just want to see him healthy for a full season. He was just hitting his stride when he hurt his kneecap.

stoopified
2/1/2008, 03:19 PM
While DM is a great player I don't expect the coaches to suddenly make him the main man.I think you will see a similar rotation as last year with Brown,Murray,Madu sharing snaps.This could change depending on injuries or ermgence of one of the frosh (Calhoun,Johnon).DeMarco is an outstanding player but so too are Brown,Madu.I think Madu will surprise a lot of people with his ability.

Will
2/1/2008, 03:20 PM
I think madu may change positions to possibly saftey? He did play there in highschool as well as rb

silverwheels
2/1/2008, 03:30 PM
Madu and Johnson are going to be our only scholarship RBs this Spring who are healthy enough to practice, so I doubt Mossis moves to safety, at least not any time in the near future.

Will
2/1/2008, 03:32 PM
Madu and Johnson are going to be our only scholarship RBs this Spring who are healthy enough to practice, so I doubt Mossis moves to safety, at least not any time in the near future.

You know for sure that Murray will not be able to participate in spring practices?

silverwheels
2/1/2008, 03:34 PM
You know for sure that Murray will not be able to participate in spring practices?

I thought it was reported a while ago that he's out past Spring practices. Not sure, though, but that's what I remember.

cvsooner
2/1/2008, 04:21 PM
He'll probably skip spring ball just to keep rehabbing the knee. To paraphrase Barry Switzer, "How much will Joe Washington get out of practice, you know?"

hOlden caUlfield...
2/1/2008, 04:44 PM
Murray is in a league of his own. He is our best back in every situation unless Calhoun or Johnson come in and show him up.

Frozen Sooner
2/1/2008, 04:54 PM
Justin Johnson is available for spring ball as well. He's enrolled and attending classes.

picasso
2/1/2008, 05:04 PM
I think Calhoun will be our new downhill/bruiser runner.

snp
2/1/2008, 05:26 PM

Yes.

Desert Sapper
2/1/2008, 05:27 PM
Justin Johnson looks awesome on film. I really hope he comes in as good as he looks. Calhoun also looks very good. Madu had some sparks of brilliance.

Can't really complain about the running back situation.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/1/2008, 05:32 PM
Justin Johnson looks awesome on film. I really hope he comes in as good as he looks. Calhoun also looks very good. Madu had some sparks of brilliance.

Can't really complain about the running back situation.Would you be one to complain about the team's bowl prep?

goingoneight
2/2/2008, 03:28 AM
We may have some good backs for size, speed and power... but Murray is just a special guy. His talent is a rare find and if he's healthy, he could be the next Jowe Washington/Reggie Bush kind of player. Some guys just run and read bloacks, some can break every ankle in their 2-yard radius. Some guys are just fast, some guys can make something out of nothing. Murray is the latter if not all of these great features, but as stated above, health is a major concern.

KantoSooner
2/2/2008, 09:30 AM
I'm pumping my mojo Murray's way: GET WELL SOON!

Desert Sapper
2/2/2008, 11:35 AM
Would you be one to complain about the team's bowl prep?

Uh...no. I'm not complaining about it, even if I think the coaches need to figure out what's not working.

The liabilities I see right now:

Secondary - gotta have some players step up big time

Linebackers - see secondary concern

And that's really it.

We return our entire O-Line.
We return our stud QB.
We return all but one of our RBs.
We return all but one of our WRs.
We return all but one of our TEs.

We return most of our D-Line.

Hell, we even get Lendy and Nic Harris back in the secondary.

If anything, this should be THE season.

No real complaints. Just some concerns.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/2/2008, 11:37 AM
Uh...no. I'm not complaining about it, even if I think the coaches need to figure out what's not working.

And that's really it.

We return our stud QB.

No real complaints. Just some concerns.heh, just goofing around.

Desert Sapper
2/2/2008, 01:26 PM
heh, just goofing around.

Well, gee, thanks for letting me waste all those key strokes.;)

illinisooner
2/2/2008, 02:06 PM

Screw that, get well now!

KingDavid
2/2/2008, 04:29 PM

If it's not Madu, it'll be Broyles. One of those NHS boys is going to jump to the other side of the ball - that's my prediction. Just my opinion.

silverwheels
2/2/2008, 05:32 PM
If it's not Madu, it'll be Broyles. One of those NHS boys is going to jump to the other side of the ball - that's my prediction. Just my opinion.

I don't know. With Madu being our only non-freshman option at RB until 2-a-days and Broyles reportedly doing well in the slot in practice, we may not see either end up on defense.

Crucifax Autumn
2/2/2008, 09:15 PM
Demarco is the man! But, I think 2-3 other guys will see loads of playing time because the coaches seem to like keeping a fresh guy in, for better or worse.

stoopified
2/2/2008, 11:33 PM
Main reason I see for continued rotation of backs is that NOBODY(not even Demarco) is head and shoulders above the rest.Another reason is OUr backs tend to play better when fresh,for example Q was more effective when Kejuan was getting carries,AD was more effective(IMHO) when he was splitting carries with Kejuan.The final reason(and probably the main one) is we haven't been able to keep RBs healthy recently with just 1 primary ballcarrier.

On a sidenote Calhoun(who could have graduated early)is missing a HUGE oppurtunity this spring with OUr RB health issues being as they are.

KantoSooner
2/3/2008, 12:34 AM
Stoopified, you seem to have some info. Regarding Calhoun, what can you tell us about the academic situation? Rumor last year was that Texas had not recruited him, maybe because of academic problems.
That said, other articles I've read are highly encouraging regarding overall character issues.

Curly Bill
2/3/2008, 12:37 AM
On a sidenote Calhoun(who could have graduated early)is missing a HUGE oppurtunity this spring with OUr RB health issues being as they are.

I can't say that this bothers me, kid wants to finish high school, let him finish high school.

...although I do see the point that he could have gotten a head start, and I am glad that Jones, Johnson and whomever else is already on campus...but it would not have bothered me had they not done that.

Curly Bill
2/3/2008, 12:39 AM
Anyone know if Calhoun is still playing B-ball at Van? I saw him play as a frosh on their state championship team. If he's B-balling this could explain why he chose not to graduate early.

goingoneight
2/3/2008, 11:39 PM
I think Calhoun's "academic problems" in regards to being recruited by Texas were the same "academic problem" excuses they made for not landing AD. He might be playing other sports or simply just elected to finish his Sr. year. As a fan, you'd like every incoming Sooner to be here for spring ball, JUCO and HS. But reality is high school kids put a lot of stock in prom, graduation, etc. I'd rather see a great player sign and come in better late than never as opposed to being pressured and not sign TBH.

KantoSooner
2/3/2008, 11:43 PM
Don't get me wrong. Frankly, if he's into high school, friends and the community and wants to live out the final months of this chapter in life at home, I'm all for it. Sign of normalcy, if you ask me.

Question: Once he signs, then coaches can contact him all they want? Like fax him down training routines and the like?

goingoneight
2/3/2008, 11:45 PM
Yes, they're officially "responsible" for the athlete when they sign on as scholarship athletes. Being "responsible" means you take the heat from the media when they steal gas and other stupid shat.

Curly Bill
2/3/2008, 11:46 PM
Question: Once he signs, then coaches can contact him all they want? Like fax him down training routines and the like?

I think so.

snp
2/4/2008, 12:53 AM
Yup.

After the calendar day on which a prospective student-athlete signs a National Letter of Intent, there shall be no limit on the number of telephone calls by the institution with which the prospective student-athlete has signed. For an institution not using the National Letter of Intent in a particular sport, or for a prospective student-athlete who is not eligible to sign a National Letter of Intent (e.g., four-year college transfer), there shall be no limit on the number of telephone calls to a prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete's relatives or legal guardian(s) by that institution after the calendar day on which the prospective student-athlete signs the institution's written offer of admission and/or financial aid.

KantoSooner
2/4/2008, 01:15 AM
okay, so strength/conditioning could start immediately....and probably the Van coaches would be tickled pink to be asked to assist in running the 'OU' conditioning program.

Animal Mother
2/4/2008, 12:24 PM

If you're going to do that, please get away from your window!!!

KantoSooner
2/4/2008, 11:37 PM
But then no one else would get to enjoy it!

CatfishSooner
2/5/2008, 12:26 AM
We should run DM atleast 2/3's of the time!!!! he is frickin amazing!

goingoneight
2/5/2008, 01:48 AM
If he can hold up like AD and AP did, a healthy DM getting 30 carries per game alone would just be amazing. If they ever teach that kid to kick it to the outside, no one can touch him in space.

OU_Sooners75
2/5/2008, 04:10 AM
okay, so strength/conditioning could start immediately....and probably the Van coaches would be tickled pink to be asked to assist in running the 'OU' conditioning program.

It could?

It does. My experience was, after signing an LOI to play football the coaches gave me a little package. It contained the workouts they wanted me to concentrate on, the diet they wanted me to use, and basic stuff like that.

Animal Mother
2/5/2008, 02:58 PM
But then no one else would get to enjoy it!

Please define enjoy. Carefully.

KantoSooner
2/5/2008, 07:35 PM
it's a holistic thing. Kind of zen meets Carlos Casteneda. Think about it. But not too much.

JLEW1818
2/5/2008, 08:48 PM
I compare DM to a Reggie Bush type player. Hopefully we will see him get some more short passes and runs to the outside next year. Shoot and who knows maybe a bomb to the end zone or two. I really think Calhoun is going to come in and Wreck shop. If not he will get a red-shirt. In conclusion DM needs to be spread across the whole field, and not just limited to a RB. JMO

Pigface1
2/7/2008, 04:10 PM
*If* he can stay healthy and gets the ball 20-25 times a game, he's all over the Heisman, IMO. The guy's an absolute game breaker and a walking highlight reel.

Pigface1
2/7/2008, 04:13 PM

And that's really it.

We return our stud QB.

No real complaints. Just some concerns.

With the addition of RJ Washington, there's no reason the front 4 won't get pressure. That should help a LOT in the secondary.

The VIIIth
2/7/2008, 05:06 PM
With the addition of RJ Washington, there's no reason the front 4 won't get pressure. That should help a LOT in the secondary.

RJ will most likely redshirt and beef up a bit. Don't forget that John Williams is back for another year, Austin English, Jontae Bumpus, Alan Davis, Adrian Taylor (Is he still at DE?) Frank Alexander (who was a stud DE from Louisiana) , seems like I'm missing somebody...Zo Dotson was a Sr wasn't he?

Anyway, IMHO, RJ gets a look, but ends up with a shirt.

Monster Zero
2/7/2008, 06:33 PM
What's up with Chris Brown? Why isn't he available for spring ball?

Crucifax Autumn
2/8/2008, 01:42 AM
He's busy with his music career!

goingoneight
2/8/2008, 02:01 AM
He's playing TE for Tennessee.

Pigface1
2/8/2008, 03:15 PM
RJ will most likely redshirt and beef up a bit. Don't forget that John Williams is back for another year, Austin English, Jontae Bumpus, Alan Davis, Adrian Taylor (Is he still at DE?) Frank Alexander (who was a stud DE from Louisiana) , seems like I'm missing somebody...Zo Dotson was a Sr wasn't he?

If it works out that way, fine by me. I just want to see a grizzly front 4 killing quarterbacks. :D

Breadburner
2/8/2008, 03:18 PM

Jeremy Beal dude.....Don't forget Stacy McGee......

Scott D
2/8/2008, 03:30 PM
What's up with Chris Brown? Why isn't he available for spring ball?

knee surgery to clean up some stuff

JLEW1818
2/8/2008, 07:14 PM
DM taking some direct snaps this year??? What do you guys think???

Desert Sapper
2/9/2008, 11:24 AM

RJ Washington is coming in pretty big. Somewhere around where Frank Alexander came in last year - 240-260. Jonte Bumpus may still need to add about 40 pounds (he's in the 210-220 range right now). Beal is going to be a beast, and getting John Williams back is going to be awesome (stay healthy, big man).

snp
2/9/2008, 07:59 PM
DM taking some direct snaps this year??? What do you guys think???

The staff put in a new package before the A&M game last year that got DM a few direct snaps. I bet they'll try it again next year.

BoulderSooner79
2/10/2008, 04:08 AM
The staff put in a new package before the A&M game last year that got DM a few direct snaps. I bet they'll try it again next year.

The few times they tried the play, it looked pretty lame. It worked for Arkie because McFadden was a legitimate threat to pass and he also ran a true option read play. I'd rather see a few more plays designed to get DM the ball as a receiver.

Blitzkrieg
2/10/2008, 07:40 AM
Running backs are expendable, you need 3 or 4 option at that position anymore. DM is awesome, Brown is a horse, Madu looks like a good combo - we'll need all that next year.

Rememeber us faltering agaisnt MU in Norman using AP and DM, then Brown comes in starts busting heads, and we slowly moved the chains when we desperately needed it.