PDA

View Full Version : Libz showing the love for the Marines in Berkeley...

OklahomaTuba
2/1/2008, 02:07 PM
BERKELEY — Hey-hey, ho-ho, the Marines in Berkeley have got to go.

That's the message from the Berkeley City Council, which voted 6-3, with Gordon Wozniak, Betty Olds and Kriss Worthington dissenting, to tell the Marines that its Shattuck Avenue recruiting station "is not welcome in the city, and if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome intruders."

It also voted 7-2, with Wozniak and Olds dissenting, to explore enforcing its law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation against the Marines and to encourage the women's peace group Code Pink to protest in front of the station.

In a separate item, the council voted 8-1 to give Code Pink a designated parking space in front of the recruiting station once a week for six months and a free sound permit for protesting once a week from noon to 4 p.m.
These asshats in berkeley are scum.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_8127493?source=rss

sooneron
2/1/2008, 02:11 PM
It seems that the city council there is doing something that the aclu would be interested in...

Maybe I'm off base here, but it just seems that way.

VeeJay
2/1/2008, 02:14 PM
the council voted 8-1 to give Code Pink a designated parking space in front of the recruiting station

Who voted against it? That filthy neo-con's going down!!

OklahomaTuba
2/1/2008, 02:15 PM
If the ACLU were actually interested in being a fair minded organization that stood up for good honest people, and not a tool of the lunatic left, then maybe so.

Besides, they are way to busy trying to ban all things Christian & trying to open the borders of this nation to terrorists, illegals, etc. ;)

KC//CRIMSON
2/1/2008, 02:19 PM
Not taking sides, but it is kind of an oddball place to set up a recruiting station. It would have made more sense to set up shop a few blocks down the street in Oakland.

sooneron
2/1/2008, 02:20 PM
I do wonder how may enlistees they have gotten in Berkeley as of late. Not saying they should close because of this, but as far as it being a smart decision "business-wise" to remain there.
I think this crap sucks.

85Sooner
2/1/2008, 03:52 PM
Senators are trying to pull federal funding and I am ALL for that. Let Berkley survive on its own.

Vaevictis
2/1/2008, 04:09 PM
It seems that the city council there is doing something that the aclu would be interested in...

Maybe I'm off base here, but it just seems that way.

I doubt it. I don't think that protecting the right of the federal government to set up shop wherever it pleases falls under the ACLU's charter.

SoonerStormchaser
2/1/2008, 04:12 PM
Berkley vs. Antioch

Discuss.

sooneron
2/1/2008, 04:25 PM
I doubt it. I don't think that protecting the right of the federal government to set up shop wherever it pleases falls under the ACLU's charter.
It doesn't matter, if the party that has a shop set up is within the set forth guidelines or falls under the zoning code of that area, they should be protected. Of course, they are trying to put it on the ballot for a vote whereby the code would be changed. That would be tougher to go up against.

LosAngelesSooner
2/1/2008, 04:34 PM
Much adieu about nothing.

Tuba, do you just SEARCH the internet looking for anything to get your dander up? :rolleyes:

jeremy885
2/1/2008, 04:37 PM
Not a supporter of the ACLU, but don't they come on the side of about every group complaining that their civil liberties have been violated (i.e. the KKK to the person who wanted the pledge taken out schools)?

Vaevictis
2/1/2008, 06:08 PM
It doesn't matter, if the party that has a shop set up is within the set forth guidelines or falls under the zoning code of that area, they should be protected.

Maybe, but by the ACLU? If it's not in their charter, it's not in their charter. It would be like someone expecting Toys for Tots to give toys to Warren Buffet; it's just not what they're about.

Not a supporter of the ACLU, but don't they come on the side of about every group complaining that their civil liberties have been violated (i.e. the KKK to the person who wanted the pledge taken out schools)?

Pretty much. The issue that I see is that the federal government doesn't have civil liberties. Hence, there's nothing for the ACLU to protect.

usmc-sooner
2/1/2008, 07:39 PM
college areas usually put a lot of kids in the military. Some kids go a year or two don't like it and decide to give the military a try. California puts a lot of kids in the Corps. If they aren't going to let the military recruit then stop all recruiting in that area IMO. Most recruit stations the kids come to the recruiters not the other way around.