PDA

View Full Version : Ignorant Labels of Stigma

soonerhubs
2/1/2008, 11:41 AM
I just read another "newsworthy" article that mentioned a Grey's Anatomy star checking into the same psychiatric hospital as Britney Spears.

I'm no advocate for poor behavior, but I must say that there appears to be a negative label placed on folks who have emotional disorders. Somehow if you get counseling or therapy, you are a social deviant in society. I'm here to say otherwise.

I suggest that there are multiple problems occurring in life that, quite often, we aren't prepared to handle, and this is where therapy and counseling is a vital tool. Some of these conditions are comparable to any other physical ailment.

Telling someone with OCD to relax is like telling someone with cancer to shrink their tumor.

I actually pity people like Britney and Lindsay who have so many issues, and I pray that their counseling is successful.

Sorry for the rant. I just feel that our media continues to sink lower and lower when it comes to showing a lack of empathy and a plethora of ignorance (particularly with social and emotional disorders).

frankensooner
2/1/2008, 11:44 AM
I think there are a lot of posters on here that could do with some time in rehab for their behavior, you know who you are.

Sorry, not to ruin your initial post. Yes there are people with problems. Oft their problems are magnified by the media. People with problems should seek help.

soonerbrat
2/1/2008, 11:44 AM
I applaud the guy for going to get help on his own.

soonerhubs
2/1/2008, 11:48 AM
I applaud the guy for going to get help on his own.
Me too. It's no easy thing. I suggest that there are numerous people in the world who are too proud to get help when they need it.

OUDoc
2/1/2008, 11:49 AM
Western civilization is like that. We separate mind and body. Bodily illnesses get sympathy, mental illnesses, not so much usually.
HOWEVER, I think it's an obvious excuse for a lot of celebs to act like fools, then claim "mental illness/nervous breakdown/drugs/alcohol/bad parents/whatever". At some point, many just need to grow up. (Unless being able to act and mental illness/substance abuse are comorbid illnesses for some reason)

soonerbrat
2/1/2008, 11:55 AM
That's my excuse. i'm ****in nuts.

yermom
2/1/2008, 12:42 PM
i wish i had an excuse :O

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/1/2008, 12:43 PM
My uncle's wife uses her bipolar diagnosis as an excuse to be a bitch. Not that it is not a serious illness, but I don't think it is an excuse to be hateful to people.

I didn't know bitch wasn't censored.

Scott D
2/1/2008, 01:07 PM
the media quit being relevant back in the mid 70s.

celebrities are relevant less than 10% of the time.

thanks television for turning the country into vidiots.

SoonerStormchaser
2/1/2008, 02:03 PM
Ok...I beg to differ just a tad on this argument. While there are lots of people in this world who have legitimate needs for this through no fault of their own (i.e. OCD), I have very little sympathy for folks like Britney and Lindsey because they knowingly and willingly got themselves to this point. There have been a plethora of warning signs for them to heed...they chose to ignore it until it became such a big problem that it jumped up and bit them in the ***.

OKC-SLC
2/1/2008, 02:13 PM
i wish i had an excuse :O
i think being a retard counts for something.

;)

soonerhubs
2/1/2008, 02:55 PM
Ok...I beg to differ just a tad on this argument. While there are lots of people in this world who have legitimate needs for this through no fault of their own (i.e. OCD), I have very little sympathy for folks like Britney and Lindsey because they knowingly and willingly got themselves to this point. There have been a plethora of warning signs for them to heed...they chose to ignore it until it became such a big problem that it jumped up and bit them in the ***.
Now that's a good point as well. I'm sure their own choices got them into many a debacle.

SoonerStormchaser
2/1/2008, 03:14 PM
Now there are people like Eva Mendes who are keeping their demons private and have finally sought help for them...good for her. But Britney and Paris and Lindsey have openly flaunted their stupidity for a long time. And frankly, I don't mind seeing them crash and burn.

picasso
2/1/2008, 03:17 PM
moving out of L.A. would help the lack offen ze sleep problem.

just sayin.