PDA

View Full Version : Baylor and the Big 12 (Shocking Numbers)

OUSKINS
2/1/2008, 09:45 AM
Could be a monumental year for the Bears if they make the Dance....

Guess this could go in any forum, but I’m starting it in the hoops forum because it’s most relevant right now. Before the Baylor game, I made a post where I applauded Baylor and coach Drew’s turnaround this season. In that post, I also claimed that Baylor has been bringing the Big 12 down in the two major revenue sports for quite some time and it’s good to see them contributing. I got negged twice for that comment, as another poster believed my “bringing down” theory to be hogwash.

While I acknowledge that Baylor’s ineptitude hasn’t prevented teams like OU and UT (football) and KU (basketball) from reaching great heights, it doesn’t change the fact that Baylor is a drain on the conference. Their lack of competitiveness in the two major sports IS a black eye for the league—just because the other schools have been able to keep the league afloat doesn’t mean that Baylor isn’t a negative force in the league. As I mentioned in the original thread, I know TONS of people that plan events (weddings, parties) etc… around OU football, but they will PURPOSELY plan things on Baylor gameday because they figure no one will really care.

Having said all that, I decided to set out and back up my theory with some facts. What follows is pretty mind boggling and hard to dispute.

I took the two major sports. In each of those sports, I determined that a “completive level” measuring stick would be bowl games for football and NCAA Tournament appearances in basketball. My theory was that no BCS school would combine to be worse than Baylor in those two areas. I was right—big time.

Here’s what I found:

Of the BCS conferences… Baylor has the LONGEST bowl game drought (tied with Duke) that stems back to 1994. Indiana broke their drought (1993) this year.

So, that’s one thing. I say, fine, it’s OK to have one weak program as long as the other one can kind of make up for things. For example, Duke is an embarrassment to the ACC in football, but at least they are a major plus in basketball.

Let’s look at hoops…this will blow you away:

Northwestern has never made the NCAA Tourney (shocking to me). They are the ONLY BCS school with a longer drought than Baylor (1988). So, Baylor has the LONGEST drought in college football and the second longest drought in college basketball. Both extend over 10 years and one extends to 20 years.

But it gets worse (college hoops):

The longest drought for ANY SEC team: 2002 (Georgia and Ole Miss)

The longest drought for ANY Pac 10 team: 1990 (Oregon St.)

The longest drought for ANY ACC team: 1998 (Clemson and FSU)

Longest drought for ANY Big 12 team (other than Baylor): 1996 (KSU)

Longest drought for ANY Big East team: 1991 (Rutgers, before joining the BE)

No team other than Northwestern has a prolonged drought in the Big 10

Since Baylor’s last appearance (these are all SCHOOLS, not individual teams)….

5 teams have made it from the Big Sky
4 teams have made it from the Big West
11 teams have made it from CAA
10 teams have made it from CSU
7 teams have made it from the Horizon
9 teams have made it from the MAAC
8 teams have made it from the MAC
7 teams have made it from the MEAC
9 teams have made it from the MVC
9 teams have made it from the Mtn. West
8 teams have made it from the MEC
7 teams have made it from the Ohio Valley
6 teams have made it from the Patriot League
7 teams have made it from the Southern Conference
10 teams have made it from the Southland
8 teams have made it from the SWAC
9 teams have made it from the Sun Belt

Pretty staggering. I’m sure I’ll get negged for this again, and maybe I should get negged under the premise of “get a life,” :) But I really wanted to back up my assertion with some data.

NormanPride
2/1/2008, 10:33 AM
Baylor sucks. Their women's coach looks like a skeleton.

crawfish
2/1/2008, 10:48 AM
The worst thing Ann Richards ever did to Baylor was getting them accepted into the B12. They just don't have the resources to compete on a consistent basis with the rest. They could probably be like TCU in a lesser conference.

Of course, Baylor is very good at baseball, women's basketball and some other minor (non-revenue producing) sports.