PDA

View Full Version : As most of you suggested, I got Direct TV

MamaMia
1/31/2008, 05:28 PM
and I love it! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. :)
The picture is so clear compared to my Suddenlink cable, which was getting to be annoying with so many channels having sound, but no picture. Its fun to tape programs and watch them later. I was a little afraid about losing my signal in bad weather, but we just got a lot of snow and I never lost my signal. I programed my TV to tape a whole series. Does the TV have to be on for it to tape? :confused:

The $120.00 fee to hide the cable wires, when it was suppose to be a "free installation", was a bit pricey and a surprise I didn't plan on. I just assumed they would hide the cables, but they don't. Its considered a custom installation if they do that, even if they only have to go up one wall on each TV and over the attic floor about 60 feet, but its better than having wires stapled to my new baseboards and the walls I just textured. An OSU fan installed it. He asked me "How did you end up being an OU fan?" Like it was some kind of horrible fate I had to contend with. I hope he didn't screw something up. :rolleyes:

I had to call them last night to have them bring over an additional DVR though. Just to show you how anti-electronic I am, I honestly thought that if I taped something on the TV in the front room, that I could push the LIST button on the remote for the TV in the bedroom and watch it in there. :O

I did go ahead and buy the Sports Package but was really disappointed that I didn't get the mens basketball game because I don't have the Full Court. Do those of you who don't have the Full Court miss a lot of OU basketball games, and do you get your moneys worth out of that Sports Package?

Whet
1/31/2008, 05:37 PM
Good choice! No, the TV doesn't need to be on to record on the DVR. I subscribed to the Sports package during football season, then cancelled it after the bowl games. I'll re-subscribe in August - it is so easy, since subscribing is done online.

I agree the picture is sharper through satellite, rather than cable.... (we still subscribe to both)

Sooner_Bob
1/31/2008, 05:41 PM
DTV is definitely a good investment . . . we've got two DVRs and I'm seriously considering adding a third.

r5TPsooner
1/31/2008, 05:44 PM
I also subscribe to the Sports package during college football season but cancel it right after the last OU regular season game.

The extra $$$ to hide cables sounds like a scam, as I just had my new system installed last summer and they charged me nothing to do everything, which included dropping two phone lines from the attic to two extra HD DVR's.

MamaMia
1/31/2008, 05:59 PM
I also subscribe to the Sports package during college football season but cancel it right after the last OU regular season game.

The extra $$$ to hide cables sounds like a scam, as I just had my new system installed last summer and they charged me nothing to do everything, which included dropping two phone lines from the attic to two extra HD DVR's.
I went on line and hunted up the information that said they can charge me that, but I wasn't told about it upfront. I don't like those kind of surprises. They also didn't tell me about needing a DVR on every set to record but thats my own fault for being electronically challenged. I really thought it was all connected. :D

Can you record the PPV movies as well?

Scott D
1/31/2008, 07:31 PM
Keep in mind, that installers generally are contracted with DirecTV so the fee was likely based on the installation company an not any pricing by DirecTV.

I keep the sports pack year round. Then again, I watch more than OU sports, and the sports I watch are going on at any time of year.

you can record anything you are capable of watching on a DVR, however you can only watch or record the ppv on the TV that you order it on. It's not automatically going to be on every TV that is connected to DirecTV unless you went with a single input line from the dish that is split to multiple tv's at which point you'd only have one box with a split feed meaning you'd be watching the same program on both tv's whether you wanted to or not.

soonerinabilene
1/31/2008, 07:47 PM
Keep in mind, that installers generally are contracted with DirecTV so the fee was likely based on the installation company an not any pricing by DirecTV.

I keep the sports pack year round. Then again, I watch more than OU sports, and the sports I watch are going on at any time of year.

you can record anything you are capable of watching on a DVR, however you can only watch or record the ppv on the TV that you order it on. It's not automatically going to be on every TV that is connected to DirecTV unless you went with a single input line from the dish that is split to multiple tv's at which point you'd only have one box with a split feed meaning you'd be watching the same program on both tv's whether you wanted to or not.

Im surprised Direct hasnt done what Dish Net did with their spilt system. We have dish on 4 tv's and only have two receivers. You can have something different on each tv. Our dvr receiver is in the living room, and we can watch anything recorded on it in the bedroom, without forcing whoever is in the living room to watch it also.

Scott D
1/31/2008, 08:21 PM
Well I can't vouch for any sort of technological upgrades they've made. Hell I'm still using the equipment that I got back in 1998-99 time frame.

goingoneight
1/31/2008, 09:14 PM
Quick, someone go sneeze in her front yard so her picture gets all messed up. :D

I keed, I keed.

SoonerBorn68
1/31/2008, 09:57 PM
DTV is definitely a good investment . . . we've got two DVRs and I'm seriously considering adding a third.

We've got 4. One for the living room, one for the family room, one for the kids' room & one for me on the road. I'll have one for my bedroom as soon as I upgrade the TV in there.

Being able to record, pause live tv & rewind is under-rated.

SoonerBorn68
1/31/2008, 10:02 PM

Yeah, but you've got FSD & can watch the Wings about every third night. I'm stuck with the flippin' Stars on FSSW. :mad:

(Yes, I'm too cheap to pay for the Center Ice Package--I use to subscribe but the strike ****ed me off & I haven't bought it since.)

Vaevictis
1/31/2008, 10:10 PM
They also didn't tell me about needing a DVR on every set to record but thats my own fault for being electronically challenged. I really thought it was all connected. :D
IIRC, there is equipment that can do this, but it's third party and very, very expensive.

Can you record the PPV movies as well?

Generally speaking, not with cable/satellite provided equipment. They've usually taken measures to prevent this.

bluedogok
1/31/2008, 10:11 PM
My wife is "technology challenged" and loves the DVR, we have a HD-DVR in the living room (HR-20 model) and an older DirecTivo-SD unit in the bedroom. I am going to get another HD-DVR for the bedroom (and get a HDTV) and move the DirecTivo into the computer room so she can watch shows while she is using the treadmill. I also have two older Sony receivers that came with the original Sony dish that I installed nine years ago. One in the computer room now and one on the second TV in the living room.

I have had Sports Pack the whole time, during football season pretty much all of the FSN games are on there until the early Sunday morning hours. I watch some of the Red Sox baseball shows that are on NESN, which I wouldn't get without Sports Pack, I also have MLB Extra Innings and NFL Sunday Ticket. I have NHL Center Ice (for the Avalanche) but have not really been watching it as much so I am going to drop it after the season is over since I have already paid for it.

I have had it for nine years after getting tired of Multimedia Cablevision in The Village going out all the time. There is pretty much no way that I would go back to cable.

Generally speaking, not with cable/satellite provided equipment. They've usually taken measures to prevent this.
I don't do PPV other than OU football games, I have been able to record those including the Utah State game last season. I think the movies will record but may time bomb after awhile, but I am not sure.

tommieharris91
1/31/2008, 10:12 PM
An OSU fan installed it. He asked me "How did you end up being an OU fan?" Like it was some kind of horrible fate I had to contend with. I hope he didn't screw something up. :rolleyes:

osu only has students and alumni. How can he be only a fan? :confused:

SoonerBorn68
1/31/2008, 10:18 PM

Generally speaking, this is bullcrap. I've purchased several PPV movies from DirecTV & recorded them to my DVR. Some of the newer titles will expire after 30 days many don't expire. I've even recorded from the DVR to a DVD-R & haven't had any problems.

tulsaoilerfan
1/31/2008, 11:38 PM
I like Directv for the NHL and MLB packages, and DVR is the only way to go

Vaevictis
1/31/2008, 11:42 PM
I don't do PPV other than OU football games, I have been able to record those including the Utah State game last season. I think the movies will record but may time bomb after awhile, but I am not sure.

Interesting. That's different from my past experience, but my DVRs are not exactly new ones. I guess that they've changed that.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/1/2008, 12:07 AM
you welcome

SoonerTerry
2/1/2008, 12:10 AM
I'd callem up and say your sheep is actin funny since the install

MamaMia
2/1/2008, 09:14 AM
One thing that concerns me is that the representative said that should I ever change my satellite company, that the DVRs, which are $99.00 plus the $19.99 delivery and install, only work with Direct TV and belong to them. He explained that I am only leasing them. Since I would have to return them, I would lose every OU game I would have recorded.

Sooner_Bob
2/1/2008, 09:24 AM
I've even recorded from the DVR to a DVD-R & haven't had any problems.

You did this with a DTV issued standard DVR or HD DVR? Can you PM me with the details?

Sooner_Bob
2/1/2008, 09:26 AM
One thing that concerns me is that the Representative told me that should I ever change my satellite company, that the DVRs, which are $99.00 plus the $19.99 delivery and install, only work with Direct TV and belong to them. He explained that I am only leasing them. Since I would have to return them, I would lose every OU game I would have recorded.

The equipment usually becomes yours after you have completed the one year commitment.

If you're planning to record all of the games and keep them I'd find a new way so you won't be clogging up your DVR.

bluedogok
2/1/2008, 11:26 PM
One thing that concerns me is that the representative said that should I ever change my satellite company, that the DVRs, which are $99.00 plus the $19.99 delivery and install, only work with Direct TV and belong to them. He explained that I am only leasing them. Since I would have to return them, I would lose every OU game I would have recorded.
Get a DVD recorder and record them off onto discs, they won't be in HD though until a Blu-ray recorder comes out but at least you would have them. there are other options or "hacks" that you can do other things but I don't know much about them.

The equipment usually becomes yours after you have completed the one year commitment.
Not anymore, all of the newer receivers are under a lease agreement. I think that has been in effect almost two years.

If you're planning to record all of the games and keep them I'd find a new way so you won't be clogging up your DVR.
You can add an eSATA external drive to the new HD-DVR's to increase capacity. IF you do this, whatever is on the internal drive is lost as everything defaults to the external drive and access to the internal drive is lost. I think it becomes a hidden software only drive.