PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Overseas US citizens can vote in primaries?

Chuck Bao
1/31/2008, 01:39 PM
I hate posting a copy-and-paste and obviously slanted political piece.

However, I'm very curious about this one.

On the overnight Nation newspaper website, it appeared to be a front page story to go into tomorrow’s newspaper, but I’m sure it will get bumped off the front page because of the obvious political slant, or, at least, significantly edited.

The Democrat party is having a primary for overseas Americans on Super Tuesday? If not, what do they mean about other US citizens residing in Thailand?

If so, kudos to the Democrats for getting more Americans living abroad to participate in the primaries.

US citizens in Thailand to vote in presidential primary

Americans who are registered members of the Democratic Party and other US citizens residing in Thailand will be able to cast ballots for the first time in the US Presidential Primary next Tuesday.

This move is believed to make a difference in the US political history, said Philip S Robertson Jr, country chairman of the Democrats Abroad Thailand.

"It's gonna make a huge difference," Robertson, a on-and-off resident of Thailand since 1990.

"I think the Democrat Primary will go right down to the wire. We want to make sure your voice is counted. We're part of the people who'll determine who's going to be the next Democrat nominees and I believe the next President.

Whoever is the nominee we will do everything we can to make sure every Americans come out and vote on the election day."

In Bangkok, registered Democrats, estimated to be around 60 per cent of the 20,000 or 30,000 US citizens in Thailand, will be able to cast their ballots at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand (FCCT) between 8am to 6pm Bangkok time.

Next Tuesday is known as Super Tuesday when more than 20 states hold their primary elections.

In Chiang Mai on the same day, voting can be made for the Democrat Primary at AIDS Network Development Foundation from 8am to 11am.

Voting can also be done in Nong Khai and Udon Thani provinces on February 9. Voting can also be made for the first time on the internet, along with by fax and regular mail.

All further enquiries for Thailand can be made by calling 022605820 ext 116.

Similar activities will take place in Manila, Jakarta, Phnom Penh, and cities in countries like India. Robertson said he's not aware of any similar thing happening for the Republicans abroad, however.

"I think if there're still Republicans in Thailand they are shy to say it," said Robertson, who speaks fluent Thai.

Robertson, a consultant on labour, human rights and development had no good thing to say about the Bush Administration.

"The respect Americans used to enjoy overseas in areas such as human rights and the environment, all these have been destroyed by the Bush Administration. Eight years of mismanagement, sub prime crisis, lack of [economic] regulation. People are literally losing their homes. The Bush Administration, instead of causing problems, they have been making problems.

"We the Democrats want to bring America back and be a respected power. But we to have a leader who is prepared to lead in terms of global warming," he said, showing off a sticker he recently picked up on a trip to Boston which reads: "I'm George Bush. I bankrupted America. Not sorry, just stupid."

Robertson believes it is almost inevitable that whoever becomes the Democrat nominee will become the next US president.

"Look at the mess the Republicans have created over the past eight years. Who would want to give them another four more?"

With the Democrats in charge, said Robertson, America will return to its former role as a respected world power leading the fight against global warming and more.

by Pravit Rojanaphruk
The Nation

Chuck Bao
2/1/2008, 11:32 PM
Alrighty, the print version of that Nation article got cut in half with all the slanted political views taken out and the whole article was relegated to page three, as I suspected.

The interesting thing to me is the Democrats Abroad organisation is doing their global primary thing.

I'm not sure this Global Primary is neither here nor there. I'm still going to do it.

http://www.democratsabroad.org/taxonomy/term/93

By David S. Miller on January 31st, 2008

Dear Fellow Democrat,

The Democrats Abroad Global Primary is coming up, and I have VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION for you:

The Global Primary is taking place from February 5th-12th. Voting via the Internet, by fax, and by mail will take place between February 5th-12th. In addition, we will have a Voting Center in Copenhagen open on Tuesday, February 5th from 12 noon to 6 PM for voting in person.

VOTING VIA THE INTERNET
If you intend to vote in the Democrats Abroad Global Primary VIA THE INTERNET, then in your user profile on the Democrats Abroad website www.democratsabroad.dk you must answer “YES” to “Do you want to participate in the Global Democratic Presidential Primary?” YOU MUST DO THIS BY MIDNIGHT TONIGHT, JANUARY 31st!

What will happen is that everyone who answered “Yes” will receive an e-mail with instructions on how to vote via the Internet.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/2/2008, 12:16 AM
what do they mean about other US citizens residing in Thailand?

perhaps it's an open primary - where one does not have to be a member of the party.

usmc-sooner
2/2/2008, 12:19 AM
funny when I was deployed in 2000 Al Gore and the Dem's did every thing they could to keep us from voting. They didn't think our vote should have counted.

Chuck Bao
2/2/2008, 12:23 AM
I get that.

The traditional method was absentee voting, of course. This whole new Global Primary seems to be voting by the internet or email or fax or by person.

I applaud the idea and I'm planning on voting at the Bangkok polling place at the Foreign Correspondence Club and that should be fun.

I'm just not sure how many delegates to the Dems convention we can elect.

Did I say voting is fun? I'm going with that idea.

Chuck Bao
2/2/2008, 12:25 AM
funny when I was deployed in 2000 Al Gore and the Dem's did every thing they could to keep us from voting. They didn't think our vote should have counted.

That's terrible. For shame!!! How did they try to stop Americans from voting?

usmc-sooner
2/2/2008, 12:33 AM

I think it had to do with how our votes were sent in. Whatever it was it was BS

Chuck Bao
2/2/2008, 12:42 AM
I like the whole idea of internet voting.

Shouldn't we do a pole for our own SF party delegates?

SanJoaquinSooner
2/2/2008, 12:50 AM

Overseas voter debacle

The recent finding that Florida messed up the overseas votes in the 2000 presidential election is more reason to establish clearer rules for absentee ballots.

© St. Petersburg Times,
published July 17, 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Florida has come up short again in a study of the 2000 presidential election, this time in how it handled absentee ballots from overseas. In an analysis of 2,490 ballots from Florida residents living abroad or in the military, the New York Times found 680 questionable votes that could have been disqualified under the state's election laws (see Bush focus: Get in overseas votes).

While George W. Bush's margin of victory in Florida was 537 votes, the study could not determine which candidate the flawed ballots favored, so they may or may not have changed the outcome. This much is clear, however. The latest revelations should embarrass Florida officials, renewing the urgency for absentee ballot reform.

In the past, there was limited time to distribute absentee ballots between the second primary and general election, so Florida allowed overseas votes to be counted if they arrived within 10 days following the election. Because the 2000 contest was still in doubt days after polls closed, Republicans looked to overseas votes for an advantage. The Bush campaign focused on counties dominated by Republicans and where military votes were cast.

The Bush campaign mounted a major legal and public relations assault to protect its advantage in overseas ballots, and some elections supervisors ignored or stretched the rules to count those votes, the Times reported. Florida law calls for overseas ballots to be signed, witnessed and dated on or before Election Day and to bear a foreign postmark. But among the votes that were counted, 344 ballots had no legible date, 96 lacked the required witness and 183 had U.S. postmarks, according to the Times. There were other problems -- 19 absentee voters cast two ballots, 5 ballots were received after the Nov. 17 deadline and 169 had other flaws that could have invalided them. (Since some ballots had more than one error, the mistakes total more than the number of ballots.)

Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris -- under the influence of Republican political strategists -- added confusion rather than clarity to the situation. On Nov. 13, she contradicted her office's own rules by announcing that overseas ballots should not have to be postmarked on or before Election Day. That may have given canvassing boards the cover to accept otherwise invalid ballots.

Democrats are using the findings to once again question the legitimacy of the Bush presidency, but that is not a helpful response. The Times could not determine that defective overseas ballots changed the outcome, and most Americans have accepted the election result and moved on.

A constructive response, especially from state lawmakers, would be a vow to fix the law. Yes, the Legislature should get credit for addressing the biggest elections problem by requiring counties to replace faulty punch-card voting systems with optical scanners or touch-screen technology. But the job of election reform is not finished.

The state needs to clearly establish the rules for absentee ballots and to apply them uniformly in each county. Overseas voters, especially those in the military, may need some accommodation for getting ballots in on time. But they should be expected to provide a witness, sign and date their ballots and return them. Men and women in uniform should be encouraged to vote, of course, but it is the military command's responsibility to make the marking and timely mailing of absentee ballots a priority.

Absentee voting by local residents creates problems as well, especially when political operatives solicit such ballots by the dozens. The Times study didn't address that issue, but legislators should include the topic in their deliberations.

Once again, Florida is being challenged to clean up the mess it made of the 2000 election.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/2/2008, 12:51 AM
nm

usmc-sooner
2/2/2008, 12:53 AM
I love cut and paste posts
1 they are short and to the point
2 they really convince people on the other side

SanJoaquinSooner
2/2/2008, 01:14 AM
I hate posting a copy-and-paste and obviously slanted political piece.

:)

Chuck Bao
2/2/2008, 01:15 AM
1 they are short and to the point
2 they really convince people on the other side

3. You have a sarcastic wit.

Funny.

SicEmBaylor
2/2/2008, 03:18 AM

Well, in the Florida recount, the Gore campaign circulated a memo (which Lieberman later went on TV to validate and try to defend) instructing their lawyers to try to toss out military ballots because they were overwhelmingly Republican.

They would basically look for the slightest most insignificant reason to toss the ballots, and in most cases they were successful in their attempt to do so. For example, many postal offices aboard naval ships didn't print a post mark on the envelope which was a technical requirement. The Democratic attorneys used that as an excuse to toss the entire ballot. I forget how many ballots they had tossed state wide but it was something like 2,000.

Truly one of the more disgusting things Gore did of which there is a very long list.