PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here

Osce0la
1/30/2008, 04:52 PM
ever been given a warning at work about your attendance because you've missed too many days due to your child being sick? Just wondering so I can form an opinion of how much of an a** my boss really is...

soonerinabilene
1/30/2008, 04:59 PM
F.M.L.A.

Look into it.

Mjcpr
1/30/2008, 05:02 PM
Is it because of an extended illness or because Johnny has the sniffles and somebody has to stay home with him? Do you and your spouse try and "rotate" who takes off when somebody has to stay home with the youngin'?

Frozen Sooner
1/30/2008, 05:05 PM
ever been given a warning at work about your attendance because you've missed too many days due to your child being sick? Just wondering so I can form an opinion of how much of an a** my boss really is...

As previously mentioned, if your company is over a certain size and you've worked there for a certain amount of time, you can qualify for FMLA. However, the medical condition must be "serious."

So if your child had a cold or whatever, you're up a creek with FMLA.

If the company leave policy states that a certain number of unscheduled leave days in a calendar year is an issue, then yeah, he's not being an ***.

Osce0la
1/30/2008, 05:17 PM
It isn't an extended illness...it is just a 2 year old that goes to day care. We try to rotate days because I don't want her to miss too much work because if she doesn't work she doesn't get paid. I get paid whether I am here or not. He couldn't go to daycare for 2 weeks last month because he had the chicken pox, and there was no way I was going to make her miss an entire pay period, so we rotated days...Thing is, with the way our dumba** attendance policy works, everytime you miss a day it counts as an occurence (missing consecutive days counts as 1 occurence, so 3 days consecutively count as 1, 3 days spread out over a 3 month period would be 3 occurences)...Anyway, the policy has never been enforced as long as your attendance is not a problem (which mine never has been). After we moved into our apartment I started staying home with him more when he is sick because, as I said, if she misses work, she doesn't get paid. Well, when he had the chicken pox I missed a total of 4 days - which, unfortunately, I did not take consecutively. So the time I missed while he had the chicken pox resulted in 4 occurences. He was sick at the end of November, I stayed home with him a couple of those days and my wife stayed home with him for a couple of them (but being month end I need to be at work, so I couldn't take those days consecutively), which resulted in 2 more occurences. I only took 2 sick days for myself last year (2 more occurences), and I had to take one Monday because I was sick (another occurence - these are calculated over a rolling 12 month period, so they don't start over with a new year). For those of you keeping score, that is 9 occurences so far. Well, add 2 more occurences from when I stayed home with him when he was sick last fall and I am now at 11 occurences over the last 12 months...If I worked anywhere else I would be ok because I used 10 days last year (the number most places would give you for sick days anyway), and I have used only one this year (meaning I would have 9 days left)...Thing is, I have a total of over 40 sick days available to use right now, but everytime you use sick days without taking them on consecutive days, it counts as seperate occurances. So basically I have 40 days available, but if I take 9 seperate days over a 12 month period I can be written up for it...

This is the only place I know of where you are given sick days that you will be punished if you use. Me and the 2 women in my area were all given verbal warnings today, and if I miss another day over the next several months I will be written up...Have I mentioned I ****ing HATE my job?

soonerinabilene
1/30/2008, 05:22 PM
Do you happen to work for Blue Cross?

Osce0la
1/30/2008, 05:24 PM
The thing that bothers me the most is this little ****er is trying to act like I have a history of being a problem when it comes to being at work - when just 2 months ago he and our manager were both telling me how dependable I was...He also told me I need to talk to my family to see if we can work something out when he is sick...Like I am going to call my mom or sister or anyone else and my family and ask them if they can use one of their sick days to watch my child for me...wtf?

FTR, our area is the only group I know of in this building that is enforcing this policy (and why they decided to do it now is beyond me)...I was talking about it earlier and people were looking at me like "WTF?"...

Osce0la
1/30/2008, 05:26 PM
Do you happen to work for Blue Cross?
No, but those bastages do charge me way too much for my insurance :D

I thought about getting a job for them, but never tried...

I work for a bank, and I am trying to get the hell outta here before we start having to do the conversions for the 3 banks we just acquired in Texas :D

soonerinabilene
1/30/2008, 05:29 PM
ok. Sounds like your bank has the same policy that Blue Cross does when it comes to attendence. See if you can get an FMLA form for your doctor to fill out explaining that your kid had the chicken pox and that he couldnt go to daycare. If you can, that should take care of it. If not, kick your boss in the balls and fart in his coffee.

1stTimeCaller
1/30/2008, 05:31 PM
me and a buddy at work are going to send out company wide emails congratulating each other on having a new kid. See, neither of us has kids but we have seen what awesome little excuses to miss work they are and want to get in on that.

Frozen Sooner
1/30/2008, 05:40 PM
I think that Chicken Pox counts as "serious." Talk to HR.

yermom
1/30/2008, 06:06 PM
me and a buddy at work are going to send out company wide emails congratulating each other on having a new kid. See, neither of us has kids but we have seen what awesome little excuses to miss work they are and want to get in on that.

yeah :D

of course, i take off for football games, so i can't complain too much

HskrGrl
1/30/2008, 06:17 PM

Be careful. Some people frown upon gay couples adopting babies together.

1stTimeCaller
1/30/2008, 06:19 PM
awwwwww man.

in February he's gonna send out one congratulating me and my girlfriend and in April I'm going to do the same for him.

1stTimeCaller
1/30/2008, 06:20 PM
I figure if I can have an imaginary kid an imaginary girlfriend isn't that big of a stretch.

KABOOKIE
1/30/2008, 06:23 PM

Trust me doofus. You'd much rather stay at work than skipping work to wipe 1TC jr's nose, clean up puke and change his underwear 40 times.

HskrGrl
1/30/2008, 06:34 PM
awwwwww man.

in February he's gonna send out one congratulating me and my girlfriend and in April I'm going to do the same for him.

He's going to have a kid with your girlfriend too? I don't think anyone is going to buy it. I mean yes I'm sure they believe it's possible for you to get a woman pregnant but that would mean you would have to get one to sleep with you first. That's where the line of believable and unbelievable gets a little blurry.

BajaOklahoma
1/30/2008, 08:44 PM
OsceOla, check the local hospitals to see if they offer a "Coughs and Cuddles" type program. It is a temporary day care, at the hospital, for children with minor illness or injury. You have to fill out paperwork in advance, have a doctor they can call for orders if needed. I think they run around 25/day and up.
Not cheap, but it is staffed by pediatric nurses. It can keep you from getting fired.

GottaHavePride
1/31/2008, 12:44 AM
I figure if I can have an imaginary kid an imaginary girlfriend isn't that big of a stretch.

My wife and I weren't able to have children, so that's why the doctors recommended we imagine them. She's not able to have children because she's imaginary. The kids take after her.

Heh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5tmnBeNv18)