PDA

View Full Version : One thing to worry about for 08'?

Collier11
1/30/2008, 03:36 PM
I have no worries about the LB's, BV is a great LB coach and will have them ready...but what about kicker and punter

we have RS Fresh Stevens and True Fresh Way...anyone else worried about this, anyone see enough of Stevens in practice to see if he was more consistent than he was in HS?

I know Way can crush but it is tough for a true fresh to take over either of the kicking duties.

TopDawg
1/30/2008, 03:46 PM
Who's our holder?

Oh, and I'm worried about LB. I hope spring ball will allay those worries, but that's one of the areas I'm most worried about.

Rhino
1/30/2008, 03:57 PM
Knall is still around if we need a punter with some experience. He'll be a senior next year.

From what I've heard, Way has a great leg; Stevens' is so-so. Way can be the kick-off and <35 FG guy and Stevens can be the >35 FG guy.

Collier11
1/30/2008, 04:06 PM
Knall is still around if we need a punter with some experience. He'll be a senior next year.

Good deal, I thought cohen and knall were Sr's

LittleWingSooner
1/30/2008, 04:08 PM
DBs are an area to worry about now with the losses of our corners and of Wolfe.

Collier11
1/30/2008, 04:09 PM
I agree On Dbs but we have some guys that can play there, they are just unproven

LittleWingSooner
1/30/2008, 04:19 PM
Lendy Holmes needs to step up at corner. Nic Harris is obviously proven. We are good there. Franks at corner and the other DB will have to step up. We could see Lendy at FS but he was pretty weak there. I think he's better off at corner.

soonerinabilene
1/30/2008, 10:09 PM
ok, I said that as a joke, not to make this a south oval discussion for noobs.
The thing that scares me is the relationship between the coaches and players. After all the rumors that went around about the guys that were leaving early because of problems with the coaches, it has me worried. Talent wise I think we are the top 3 in the country. Its the personality of the team that needs to prove itself.

OldTimeSooner
1/30/2008, 11:12 PM
(Back on topic)

But that DL is really going to be stacked, isn't it?

LittleWingSooner
1/30/2008, 11:14 PM
(Back on topic)

But that DL is really going to be stacked, isn't it?

The only thing to really worry about is Granger's legal issues. Outside of that we are stacked.

Collier11
1/30/2008, 11:16 PM
The only thing to really worry about is Granger's legal issues. Outside of that we are stacked.

Grangers legal issues are over, he is taking care of them and nothing that happened with the warrant is out of the ordinary for out of state warrants. His only worry is Coach Stoops and earning his way back on the field, I know we need him but I personally hope Coach suspends him for the 1st game or 2 to start the season

KantoSooner
1/30/2008, 11:29 PM
Grangers legal issues are over, he is taking care of them and nothing that happened with the warrant is out of the ordinary for out of state warrants. His only worry is Coach Stoops and earning his way back on the field, I know we need him but I personally hope Coach suspends him for the 1st game or 2 to start the season

Let him earn his way out of the dog house with extra strength, agility and stamina training. I'm thinking he could do two-a-days all by himself all summer long, maybe work with a Marine DI to get his attitude right and come back wanting to drink the blood of his opponents.

If he did that, I think Bob would likely let bygones be bygones.

UTisLousy
1/30/2008, 11:30 PM
I worry about the secondary. We'll be really deep on the line, and we have the athletes at LB. Hopefully, Reynolds will be fully recovered though he'll have plenty of time with the weak Non-conf schedule this year. I'd like to see that recruit Joseph I. play a little at safety. He reminds me of Roy in his videos. I think Lendy will play really well and we have Nic Harris, but that still leaves a few slots. I'm worried when we go to the Nickel and have to put that extra cover DB out there that has no experience. I think the number one thing we need on D is pressure on the QB so those DBs don't have to cover very long.

KantoSooner
1/30/2008, 11:32 PM
just curious, you think this coming season's non-con schedule is especially weak?

Rhino
1/30/2008, 11:46 PM
Knock off the political talk. This is the football board.

If you want to talk politics, by all means, visit the South Oval (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9).

UTisLousy
1/30/2008, 11:47 PM
Yeah I do. There aren't any challenges. Unless you seriously believe Cinn has a chance. No real tests. The way the system is why not have weak non conf schedule? Rest them for the Big XII. Maybe we won't choke a game or two because of it.

Curly Bill
1/30/2008, 11:54 PM
What am I worried about? I don't particularly mean this as a Venables bash, but I am worried that our D will have it's usual game, or two, or three, where they appear to be clueless.

UTisLousy
1/31/2008, 12:07 AM
I agree with you Curly. I am sick and tired of seeing those couple of games a year where the D takes a crap out on the field. We used to be so aggressive on D. I saw a glimpse of that in the Big 12 champ game, but it's been few and far between. We've become so reactive.

Curly Bill
1/31/2008, 12:15 AM
I agree with you Curly. I am sick and tired of seeing those couple of games a year where the D takes a crap out on the field. We used to be so aggressive on D. I saw a glimpse of that in the Big 12 champ game, but it's been few and far between. We've become so reactive.

Well said, and now we're talking some football. ;)

Who needs to talk politics anyway. :D

...but if you want I'll be over on the South Oval tomorrow.

JLEW1818
1/31/2008, 12:26 AM
Franks is going to be the next big deal. Mark those words.

Collier11
1/31/2008, 12:37 AM
Let him earn his way out of the dog house with extra strength, agility and stamina training. I'm thinking he could do two-a-days all by himself all summer long, maybe work with a Marine DI to get his attitude right and come back wanting to drink the blood of his opponents.

If he did that, I think Bob would likely let bygones be bygones.

I think he has been in the doghouse for conditioning before, this might help...:pop:

LittleWingSooner
1/31/2008, 12:46 AM
Yeah I do. There aren't any challenges. Unless you seriously believe Cinn has a chance. No real tests. The way the system is why not have weak non conf schedule? Rest them for the Big XII. Maybe we won't choke a game or two because of it.

Cinn, Washington, and TCU are probably decent. But who really knows at this point? All of those teams may be down or they could play over their heads. 2005 OU was a really bad football team but TCU came in and beat us when no one thought that game would be close. And that game really wasn't close. TCU dominated from start to finish.

KantoSooner
1/31/2008, 12:50 AM
I guess that was my point. Cinn Wash and TCU don't appear to me to be an attempt to dodge decent opposition. I see 2008 as a step up from 2007 in SOS.

snp
1/31/2008, 04:39 AM
Cinn, Washington, and TCU are probably decent. But who really knows at this point? All of those teams may be down or they could play over their heads. 2005 OU was a really bad football team but TCU came in and beat us when no one thought that game would be close. And that game really wasn't close. TCU dominated from start to finish.

Tulsa (9-4) and UCLA (10-2 #17) weren't too bad either that year.